Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ross has another element of his portfolio to justify any RWC stuff remember. Not that he does that any better than the transport bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

September another record breaking month at Dublin airport. Growth from Continental Europe and North America, small growth from UK and flat to Asia Pacific / Middle East and Africa. +4% for the month of September which is a very good result, over 3 million passengers. I suspect they may exceed 33 million passengers this year even allowing for a potential slowdown in the winter months ahead.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2019/10/22/new-september-record-as-dublin-airport-welcomes-3-million-passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

SAUDI Arabian Airlines is coming to Dublin 😀😀

Codeshare with Etihad

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/etihad-saudia-announce-12-new-code-shares-1.67306701

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

smurfjed wrote: »
    SAUDI Arabian Airlines is coming to Dublin Codeshare with Etihad
    https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/etihad-saudia-announce-12-new-code-shares-1.67306701

I think it's misleading to say that Saudi Arabian Airlines is coming to Dublin, at least based on this story.

It's another marketing badge on the Etihad flight. Whoop-de-doo?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Greetings from aboard CX 306,just leaving mongolia and entering china
    I took a walk through the entire plane there a few mins ago and did some stretches
    Its rammed full
    Every economy, premium economy and business seat is occupied
    It's a good sign that the suspension mightnt last hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Noxegon wrote: »
    I think it's misleading to say that Saudi Arabian Airlines is coming to Dublin, at least based on this story.

It's another marketing badge on the Etihad flight. Whoop-de-doo?

Misleading? It’s complete rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I took a walk through the entire plane there a few mins ago and did some stretches
    Its rammed full

That suspension still going ahead? Only today I heard CP advertising on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Tha
    t suspension still going ahead? Only today I heard CP advertising on the radio.

No flights after nov 7th anyway but bookable again in march on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cathay have Dublin Bus advertising on the go as well.

smurfjed wrote: »
    SAUDI Arabian Airlines is coming to Dublin

What's the sound of one hand clapping? ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

No flights after nov 7th anyway but bookable again in march on their website

They are sure doing some serious advertising on the radio. Looks like they will be back in March, which is a good thing.

Fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

EI321 wrote: »
    Shane Ross is one of the most unless and inept ministers I have ever seen.

Instead of using stories like discussions on direct flights (he would have effectively zero influence on a direct flight being launched) to justify a free junket to the Rugby world cup, perhaps he should get on top of the ongoing capacity mess at Dublin airport or perhaps make a decision on a third terminal, which he promised would be done by 2019.

He won't do that because he insists all former state entities are independent (he is technically correct) and that he shouldn't interfere. That of course is nonsense because the rules they follow are his direct remit and the CfAR whose policy seems to be to stimey any meaninful development fund is also his direct remit.

I wouldn't be surprised if the passenger charge reduction was his idea so that his pals can push their agenda for an independent third terminal. As equally useless as Dalton Philips is - he is right about terminal capacity. The issue is stands, specifically contact stands.

All the land between the runways needs to be CPOd (99% is owned already) and vacated, and the R108 diverted entirely. Access to the IAA/CHC/Cityjet sites via the ramp and as sad as it will be, relocate the Boot Inn.

This will at least lay the groundwork for a mini Heathrow / Atlanta layout i.e. build a satellite ramp and underground connection once 28R is in place and 16 can be dug up to facilitate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Don't know if it's been mentioned here but Air Arabia Maroc have pulled the DUB route. Think the last one is next Saturday. The MAN and BHX routes are toast too apparently.

john boye wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned here but Air Arabia Maroc have pulled the DUB route. Think the last one is next Saturday. The MAN and BHX routes are toast too apparently.

They closed their Agadir base which was the reason the routes closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

I see that Moscow(SVO) and St Pertersburg (LED) have been added to the Ryanair map , anybody hearing of routes been launched?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

mayotom wrote: »
    I see that Moscow(SVO) and St Pertersburg (LED) have been added to the Ryanair map , anybody hearing of routes been launched?

It's been like that for a while now, added to the map around the time when these routes were mooted from Dublin, but no update since.

EDIT: Air Malta, a Ryanair subsidiary, flies to SVO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/airport-numbers-set-to-top-38-million-38636268.html

Car estimates 3% growth over next few years, I reckon about 4.5% per year ....

Idbatterim wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/airport-numbers-set-to-top-38-million-38636268.html

Car estimates 3% growth over next few years, I reckon about 4.5% per year ....

38 million equates to approximately 7 times the population of Ireland. That must be some sort of record, is it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

38 million equates to approximately 7 times the population of Ireland. That must be some sort of record, is it?

Keflavik Airport carried 27 times the population of Iceland last year

Its rammed full

My understanding is the Cathay flights are resuming as normal from March. My friend has travelled that route a lot with work and said it’s always full. He said a lot of business travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

marno21 wrote: »
    Keflavik Airport carried 27 times the population of Iceland last year

Sure based on the population of Dublin City and Country alone (1.361 million), which is 4 times that of the entire Icelandic nation. You could say that DUB is projected to carry 28 times its own population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Poster on a.net has said Juneyao Airlines are considering extending there Shanghai-Helsinki service to DUB (2 weekly), KEF and MAN.

They have just announced direct PVG-ATH.

https://www.shine.cn/news/metro/1911025130/

I'm not sure such a low freq and stop over will be a roaring success based on previous services but I guess beggars can't be choosers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

I think I'd just fly Finnair if I was connecting through HEL anyway. They've got a surprisingly good offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

More rumours on Anet about Egyptair to Cairo & LOT to Warsaw, Royal Air Maroc was also mentioned a month or so ago. All 4 rumoured routes would be great obviously but let’s take one at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Fly to Cairo 4/5 times a year but that will nicely **** with my Gold status with BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

LOT would make sense and be a welcome return now that Aer Lingus has fully retreated from Poland and Ryanair has the market entirely to itself. LOT would provide a decent alternative, connections across central and eastern Europe and competitive fares on their growing Asian network.

LOT has been on an ambitious growth plan for the past year or two so I wouldn't be surprised to see them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Dublin Airport reports +3% increase in traffic for October. A few key markets showing small decline but Continental Europe performing very well.
    Asia pacific will have been impacted by the Hainan cancellation and direct flights with Cathay i think is not starting up again until March. I think the middle east routes are performing very well based on recent media coverage from Emirates. Presumably Etihand and Qatar also doing well but not sure. UK down only 1% which is not bad considering the current environment.

Transatlantic took a bit of a hit and that could be a mix of Norwegian cancellations and the ongoing issues with Boeing Max

Overall Dublin tracking +5% vs 2018 which is very impressive given there were nearly 32 million passengers in 2018!

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2019/11/14/october-passenger-numbers-up-3-at-dublin-airport

• Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Growth slowing down.

Not surprising given service cutbacks + the lack of new routes in the last 12 months which will filter through.

Also watch the infrastructure deficit hit hard in attracting new routes in the next few years due to an inability on all sides to get their act together.

That's the biggest risk facing the airport in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

They can't sustain the upward trends until the infrastructural issues are addressed. Unless you want to fly at 2 in the morning that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

basill wrote: »
    They can't sustain the upward trends until the infrastructural issues are addressed. Unless you want to fly at 2 in the morning that is.

Yes, everything other than the runway/taxiways is stopped.

Nothing is happening.

The CAR are lowering charges and saying DAA can still afford it - DAA are saying they absolutely can not afford it and are giving big warnings about what that means.

It's all incompetence and it's going to cost us.

Advertisement