Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Nothing for the poor Regionals!!!! Or Shannon!!!

So much for spreading the love..... same ol same ol!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Masala wrote: »
    Nothing for the poor Regionals!!!! Or Shannon!!!

So much for spreading the love..... same ol same ol!!

Ryanair are never going to serve Donegal again so its just Kerry that could have had announcements from the Regional airports.

L1011 wrote: »
    Ryanair are never going to serve Donegal again so its just Kerry that could have had announcements from the Regional airports.

.....so is Knock no longer a Regional Airport???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

.....so is Knock no longer a Regional Airport???

Knock has had commercial transatlantic flights, and doesn't have a PSO route. It's not quite at the level of the state airports but its quite a step up from Donegal and Kerry.

L1011 wrote: »
    Knock has had commercial transatlantic flights, and doesn't have a PSO route. It's not quite at the level of the state airports but its quite a step up from Donegal and Kerry.

It's still a Regional Airport in everyone eye... including the Government. It's passenger numbers are closer to Kerry than they are to Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I see an ad on social media for a new EL AL route to Tel aviv starting in May,when was that announced?
    Its actually a country I'd like to visit...except for one small problem, I've a Lebanon stamp in my passport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I see an ad on social media for a new EL AL route to Tel aviv starting in May,when was that announced?
    Its actually a country I'd like to visit...except for one small problem, I've a Lebanon stamp in my passport

They'll still let you in, it's the other way around that might cause issues, entering Lebanon (or most ME countries) with an Israeli stamp. Israeli will happily put the Israeli stamp on a blank piece of paper and staple it onto your passport if you ask them so that you don't have issues traveling to the ME in future

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

They'll still let you in, it's the other way around that might cause issues, entering Lebanon (or most ME countries) with an Israeli stamp. Israeli will happily put the Israeli stamp on a blank piece of paper and staple it onto your passport if you ask them so that you don't have issues traveling to the ME in future

Israel no longer issues stamps (at the airports anyway, I believe crossing from jordan by land is different), you're handed a slip with all your details on it instead. The only thing that might cause hassle is the security sticker they put on the back of the passport but that can be taken off once you go through security.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Aeroflot to cut flights in November from five flights a week to two flights a week probably due low passenger numbers in winter season

liiga wrote: »
    Aeroflot to cut flights in November from five flights a week to two flights a week probably due low passenger numbers in winter season

whats days? Im due to fly and connect with them in december :( whats your source? I havent been notified yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Are you sure its not cut from 7 to 5 weekly, quiet something to go from 7 to 2 weekly.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Are you sure its not cut from 7 to 5 weekly, quiet something to go from 7 to 2 weekly.

Checked their site, 7 to 5. No direct flights available on tuesdays or wednesdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Maybe the days I was looking at were just fully booked as they were give me connection thought other airports in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

'This is absolutely existential': Inside Dublin Airport's fight for growth

https://fora.ie/dublin-airport-expansion-4816293-Sep2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Idbatterim wrote: »
    'This is absolutely existential': Inside Dublin Airport's fight for growth

https://fora.ie/dublin-airport-expansion-4816293-Sep2019/

Its an absolutely ridiculous idea to lower the passenger charges. Cutting passenger charges would make sense if the airport was running far below capacity, didn't need new infrastructure, and was looking to get more passengers. But doing it when the airport is already nearly at capacity, and needs major infrastructural investment, and is growing rapidly already, just makes no economic sense whatsoever. Thats a situation where you should increase the charge, if anything.

Plus, on a personal level, I'd far rather pay the extra minuscule extra 2euro per flight to have a more functional airport than one thats unable to invest in upgrades and bursting at the seams. And I'd imagine almost every passenger passing through would too. Nobody enjoys "budget airport" experiences.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Its an absolutely ridiculous idea to lower the passenger charges. Cutting passenger charges would make sense if the airport was running far below capacity, didn't need new infrastructure, and was looking to get more passengers. But doing it when the airport is already nearly at capacity, and needs major infrastructural investment, and is growing rapidly already, just makes no economic sense whatsoever. Thats a situation where you should increase the charge, if anything.

Plus, on a personal level, I'd far rather pay the extra minuscule extra 2euro per flight to have a more functional airport than one thats unable to invest in upgrades and bursting at the seams. And I'd imagine almost every passenger passing through would too. Nobody enjoys "budget airport" experiences.

And I presume Ryanair would be laughing all the way to the bank!!! They won't be passing on these savings to their pax..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

And I presume Ryanair would be laughing all the way to the bank!!! They won't be passing on these savings to their pax..

Absolutely not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

Discourages growth and potential competitors to their routes too! Win win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    36 quid for a 2.5 hour flight - if that’s not acceptable to people then I don’t know what is.

I managed to pick up outward flights to Marseille today for €27.30 for late May next year. A great price for a midday flight at that time of year. Seat selection and priority boarding were also cheaper than normal.

The return prices have also dropped back but not as much, maybe in their next "sale" around Christmas these will drop back by a little more.

Some great prices available at the moment to a selection of destinations. Candy shop....kid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not a surprise with major losses with DY CX, HU, WW to name a few capacity is down over 4%.

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/DUB-W19-Start-of-Season-Report.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not a surprise with major losses with DY CX, HU, WW to name a few capacity is down over 4%.

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/DUB-W19-Start-of-Season-Report.pdf

I’m not surprised. It will be the first decline in passenger figures in many years. Looking ahead at next summer I don’t see a huge amount of growth either. Could be more or less flat. Ryanair announced a 1% capacity increase. Aer Lingus could be just a couple percent up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

TK Lemon wrote: »

Could happen when the new runway is opened. We may be able to get to Beijing but Tokyo is further away so I'm not sure if the current runway is long enough to get to Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

I wouldn't take anything on that Dublin live site seriously.

It would be nowhere near the longest flight in the world as they claim, nor would it be even the longest from Dublin as they claim, Hong Kong is further.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Also Irish officials in talk with Japanese officials?

Governments aren't airlines, and neither Ireland or Japan have a state owned airline.

But seriously, I really with people would stop posting links from Dublin Live/Daily Mail/Mirror and all those other rubbish tabloid sites, it's garbage news and every time any of their stories are posted here and read they earn more through advertising revenues, which bothers me the most

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

I agree that the Dublin Live website is garbage and that most of the article is terrible.

However, it is based on a tweet from the Irish Embassy in Tokyo, stating that Shane Ross and the Japanese transport minister met and discussed possible direct flights. It's probably only justifying Ross on a taxpayer-funded junket to the RWC but it would be great if it did pan out.

https://twitter.com/IrishEmbJapanEN/status/1185371524338835457?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What use is government officials discussing? I'm sure if JAL or EIN wanted to start flights the respective governments wouldn't stand in their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What use is government officials discussing? I'm sure if JAL or EIN wanted to start flights the respective governments wouldn't stand in their way.

Probably discussing details for the Japanese minister's return junket to Ireland for the 2023 RWC.

...oh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Junket = Nail on head. There have been an odd number of ministers and politicians who have found reason to be in Japan over the past couple of weeks, inter parliamentary cooperation groups and all. The meeting might open the door to some subsidy or other being considered but it’s down to airlines to make it happen.

When it comes to travelling IE-Far East it’s pretty clear from what’s been happening with the Chinese airlines that there’s good yields on certain seasonal business but direct business to some places just won’t work. And really why bother try chasing these marginal thin routes when you’ve got the ME3 and even Finnair providing excellent connections, unless you’re Cathay and are basically providing the connections further down the road from those guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

Shane Ross is one of the most unless and inept ministers I have ever seen.

Instead of using stories like discussions on direct flights (he would have effectively zero influence on a direct flight being launched) to justify a free junket to the Rugby world cup, perhaps he should get on top of the ongoing capacity mess at Dublin airport or perhaps make a decision on a third terminal, which he promised would be done by 2019.

Advertisement