Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things relating to Jordan Peterson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Having seen the film, I find it surprising that The Rise of Jordan Peterson has had screenings cancelled after staff members in theatres objected. I’d recently viewed Alison Klayman’s superb fly-on-the wall look at Steve Bannon, The Brink. Bannon is another figure who has been the subject of widespread protests, but there weren’t protests at screenings of The Brink.
    A similar thing happened with the "A Red Pill" documentary on the men's rights movement made by a feminist woman.

I was sad to hear of Jordan Peterson's difficulties. I hope he pulls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

iptba wrote: »
    I was sad to hear of Jordan Peterson's difficulties. I hope people's through.

Seen an update today from his daughter, seems to be doing well in a center in Russia, and she said he’s over the worse of the withdrawals.

That is twitter for you I guess. Some of his opinions and ideas were so nonsense they bordered on the outright insane - like him thinking drugs gave ancient tribes magical mind powers in science - but as nut job as he ever got I do not recall ever wishing the man ill. Quite the opposite in fact - as I was almost jealous of his relationship with Sam Harris where the two of them disagreed vehemently on stage but seemed to have nothing but pure friendship and mutual respect off stage.

"Get well soon" is pretty much the only reaction I have to his suffering. Those that revel in his suffering - well nothing more needs to be said about such "people" I think. Wasps are gonna sting - hyenas are gonna bite - haters are gonna hate. Mindless animals do what mindless animals do.

Ill spend a few minutes today pretending I am a lobster - just for him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'll never get over the hatred people have for Jordan Peterson....you'd swear he was leading a dooms day cult suggesting we are all going to die in some cataclysmic event someday soon!!! It's irrational!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

That is twitter for you I guess. Some of his opinions and ideas were so nonsense they bordered on the outright insane - like him thinking drugs gave ancient tribes magical mind powers in science - but as nut job as he ever got I do not recall ever wishing the man ill. Quite the opposite in fact - as I was almost jealous of his relationship with Sam Harris where the two of them disagreed vehemently on stage but seemed to have nothing but pure friendship and mutual respect off stage.

"Get well soon" is pretty much the only reaction I have to his suffering. Those that revel in his suffering - well nothing more needs to be said about such "people" I think. Wasps are gonna sting - hyenas are gonna bite - haters are gonna hate. Mindless animals do what mindless animals do.

Ill spend a few minutes today pretending I am a lobster - just for him. :)

Hope he is better soon, still why did his daughter make this update in her underwear?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Harika wrote: »
    Hope he is better soon, still why did his daughter make this update in her underwear?

Wait... Seriously?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

Wait... Seriously?

Did you watch the video?

Okay might be night wear, but seriously I would not suggest anyone to give an update on their father between life and death in this attire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Did you watch the video?

Okay might be night wear, but seriously I would not suggest anyone to give an update on their father between life and death in this attire.

No. I've had enough of Peterson's nonsense. This comment just caught my eye and frankly, the cynic in me reckons she's trying to build a following similar to that of her father.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I'll never get over the hatred people have for Jordan Peterson....you'd swear he was leading a dooms day cult suggesting we are all going to die in some cataclysmic event someday soon!!! It's irrational!

Agreed, there are far worse role models both on Youtube and within US society/media. I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but honestly, most of his messages are positive, leading male followers towards a more balanced lifestyle (overall). Sure, there's some negatives, but i'd blame a lot of that on the focus on psychology and his wood for political science.

I think it's because anyone who becomes famous through male rights must be demolished and demonized. If you refuse to play to the community line (pc nonsense re trans, minorities or feminism) then you deserve to be attacked constantly. And if you're not a perfect example, then you're somehow a fake. As if anyone is perfect.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I was expecting something note worthy but bizarre to comment on what she's wearing in that vid tbh

Jordan Peterson is trending on Twitter.
    https://twitter.com/MaajidNawaz/status/1331523815369830400

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

iptba wrote: »
    Jordan Peterson is trending on Twitter.
    https://twitter.com/MaajidNawaz/status/1331523815369830400

The Book burners are in house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Did you watch the video?

Are you a 1950s Priest?

Seriously, was that you who told the Girls in that school to not wear tight PE clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I'm reading 12 Rules for Life at the moment have enjoyed all JBP's appearances on Joe Rogan and his bible lecture series on YouTube, and I'm looking forward to the next book. It's not out til March so we'll have to wait.

I don't agree with everything him (or anyone) says but he seems to be among the most misinterpreted and misquoted people in public life. He's not dangerous, transphobic or far-right, no matter how much the professionally offended like to say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I'm reading 12 Rules for Life at the moment have enjoyed all JBP's appearances on Joe Rogan and his bible lecture series on YouTube, and I'm looking forward to the next book. It's not out til March so we'll have to wait.

I don't agree with everything him (or anyone) says but he seems to be among the most misinterpreted and misquoted people in public life. He's not dangerous, transphobic or far-right, no matter how much the professionally offended like to say so.

that grouping fear JP because he won't bow to them and their logic. He also has given men a focal point and blueprint to stand up for themselves and their wants /needs.

this is dangerous because the perpetually offended, leftie type twitter morons use men (esp white men) are the focal point for their rages. Can't have men empowered so...they want weak feminist men not real men.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Banning books seems counterintuitive to me. I think for the most part Peterson thinks he means well but touches on topics he knows nothing about and makes himself look a little foolish.

This thread on Twitter is interesting:

https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1331505661817937921?s=20

paw patrol wrote: »
    they want weak feminist men not real men.

What’s a “real man”?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I

I agree, i haven't read any of his books but i have watched a reasonable amount of his lectures and interviews over the years (he's an absolutely fantastic public speaker IMO) One thing that i think is fairly obvious is that he is a decent, caring man. He strikes me as someone who above all genuinely wants to help - he has his flaws like us all, but i can't see why that surprises people, he's a psychologist not a fúcking superhero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

brevity wrote: »
    Banning books seems counterintuitive to me. I think for the most part Peterson thinks he means well but touches on topics he knows nothing about and makes himself look a little foolish.

So he admitted he was wrong about something, seems like a healthy conversation, how do you always protect yourself from not looking foolish on occasion? Be self righteous?

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »

The thing is... apart from his role as a clinical Psych, he doesn't claim to be an expert.. that's an accusation placed on him on those who want to discredit him. He voices his opinion on a wide range of topics, and is well read to boot.

I don't agree with him on many topics, simply because he assumes that Psychology can answer everything as factual, as opposed to them being theories that are still in the early stages of being properly proven. Modern psychology has a lot to answer for, considering the way Americans have evolved.. and he's part of that problem.

but he is/was a force to encourage positive image for males, so i'm quite supportive of him, but he's not any kind of messiah.

12 Rules is basically a Quora answer turned into a book and it shows. Badly. He keeps fawning over and quoting the same small few people and shoving Jesus into his ramblings. I wouldn't ban it or its sequel, I just think he peddles nonsense. If people want to waste their cash on it then that's their call.

H. H. Asquith

begbysback wrote: »
    So he admitted he was wrong about something, seems like a healthy conversation, how do you always protect yourself from not looking foolish on occasion? Be self righteous?

Look at the rest of the twitter thread. There's some pretty dubious stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

but he is/was a force to encourage positive image for males, so i'm quite supportive of him, but he's not any kind of messiah.

Neither is he a very naughty boy:D

I think a lot of his "teachings" for want of a better word are just common sense, there's little revolutionary in anything he says....but the shocking truth is there are a whole generation or more of people who have rarely been exposed to common sense - it's getting so rare these days it's like unicorn shíte!

That's the really shocking thing about Peterson - that what he says is seen as controversial whereas only a very short few years back he'd probably have been told to shut up stating the bloody obvious!

We've university deans calling cops in because someone says a woman is an adult human female - Seriously WTF is going on in the world!

The vitriol he inspires is really something to behold..

begbysback wrote: »

It was a healthy conversation as are most of his. I would recommend reading watching some of the other clips in that thread...

FWIW, I have watched and read a lot of his stuff and considered myself a fan until he started getting a bit more fire and brimstone. I think the internet fame seemed to clutter his focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I think that anchoring ones philosophy on life to a particular persons views is a recipe for disaster, however that isn't to say it can't be of use, much like it can be for any amount of "self-help" books or any number of other high profile books that fly under the radar but appeal to a different demographic. Finally there seems to be a burgeoning offering which has gained traction with (but which not specifically written for) a male, mostly young audience, many of which are making positive changes in their lives. This obviously then has to be taken down, can't be having that.

I also find it interesting that so many people, even those positively disposed to his work seem to put the qualifier in that "I don't agree with everything he says"......why the weak qualifier? It's because they know that there's a social cost to an unqualified endorsement. This isn't a necessary prerequisite for many other authors or public figures, why is it required for him? Curious. Also, I doubt there's a single person of whom I agree with everything they say, so it's unnecessary for many reasons.

JP isn't making suggestions that are particularly dangerous to anyone, and to be honest the amount of criticism about him is bordering on the comical. I think it's quite reasonable to believe that the vast majority of the vocal critics are doing so because they don't follow the same political and social views that he does, and they need to have a go at him in any way possible to discredit every facet of his life. It's fairly poor stuff in my view.

ligerdub wrote: »
    I also find it interesting that so many people, even those positively disposed to his work seem to put the qualifier in that "I don't agree with everything he says"......why the weak qualifier? It's because they know that there's a social cost to an unqualified endorsement.

Yeah, that's a part of it, but I think they're so quick to do that because in polite society one can't come across as having any time for religion these days..

ligerdub wrote: »
    I also find it interesting that so many people, even those positively disposed to his work seem to put the qualifier in that "I don't agree with everything he says"......why the weak qualifier? It's because they know that there's a social cost to an unqualified endorsement. This isn't a necessary prerequisite for many other authors or public figures, why is it required for him? Curious. Also, I doubt there's a single person of whom I agree with everything they say, so it's unnecessary for many reasons.

Nope, I simply don't agree with everything he says.

He is someone who has covered a wide range of topics. I appreciated his stance against feminist propaganda, especially in relation to the Gender Wage gap, and I liked that he chose to take a stand against the pronoun debate.

At the same time, though, I find his political opinions to be overly complex, and flawed. His perspective on philosophy is particularly biased due to the idols he's decided are the more informed... and.. relgion? Nope. I don't agree even slightly with him there.

The qualifier is there because it's the truth. When he first came into the public eye, and his Youtube personality, I did agree with most of what he spoke about, but I feel that he grew to love his position as a guru, seeking to lead people towards his own perceived truth. Which is fine for other people, but I've already done a lot of my own introspection, self-discovery and personal development, so I don't need his brand of improvement.. nor do I agree with many aspects of it. I read his book, but found it to be completely unoriginal..

The qualifier is necessary because of the nature of the debate. Feminism, trans, etc are all movements that deal in absolutes. Black/White positions. Either you're a friend or an enemy.. and in discussions on boards, you get a lot of the same attitudes. So, the qualifier serves a purpose, in addition to being the truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

I'm just baffled why he's being held up as this font of knowledge by certain corners of the internet. He seems like a dozen other different guys all selling the same thing to the same specific audience.

Yes and furthermore he just seems like such a thoroughly miserable individual. I don't get the appeal at all.

Advertisement