Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Steopo wrote: »
    another significant feature of last years storms were the high tides & huge sea swells which caused so much coastal damage on the south and southwest coasts - we're not at high tide tomorrow and forecast swells although significant are not on the scale as some of last years storms

Cough cough the west as well. Some of the damage still isn't fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous I know were use to stormy weather in the west but they should still warn people everytime!

All 3 forecasts tonight on RTE 1 were very lacking, all they mentioned were the coloured alerts and that it would be stormy, but none of them really went any way in-depth about tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

No ,Storm 10, they wont have egg on their face, they will issue a red warning for coastal counties in the morning around 0500 if they have to. they already have 5 separate warnings in force on the website which are spot on. The sea area forecast give storm force winds which is also more or less correct. although I would say the web forecast is better than the one david rogers gave on radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Storm 10 wrote: »
    They will have egg on their face if they put up a red warning tomorrow given all the latest updates and charts here

If they weren't to put up a red warning, I nearly swear you'd find fault with that as well. Nothing is certain with the storm, or any other storm for that matter. Remember that they have the public, and public perception to consider when issuing a forecast.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

High tide in the stormiest period on the west coast is around midnight Thursday. clare island 0012,Roonagh 0013,Blacksod 0025. quite low tides of around 3 meters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

What do people think of the HIRLAM output at the moment? Do the strongest winds brush off the NW coast with the bulk of this core staying out to sea?

http://www.ilmateenistus.ee/ilm/prognoosid/mudelprognoosid/euroopa/?lang=en#layers/temp2mv2,tuul10ms,tuul10mb,presmslp,presmslv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Rumours of a sting jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

High tide in the stormiest period on the west coast is around midnight Thursday. clare island 0012,Roonagh 0013,Blacksod 0025. quite low tides of around 3 meters

Was going to ask about this. Concerned about tide and wave heights after the damage last winter down in Achill. I know there are many there who will have legitimate concerns if this pans out as I see some of the Met Éireann image forecasts suggest tomorrow night.
    The winds look frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    What do people think of the HIRLAM output at the moment? Do the strongest winds brush off the NW coast with the bulk of this core staying out to sea?

http://www.ilmateenistus.ee/ilm/prognoosid/mudelprognoosid/euroopa/?lang=en#layers/temp2mv2,tuul10ms,tuul10mb,presmslp,presmslv

Yep, it shows maximum gusts of ~125 km/h brushing the extreme western coast. It doesn't look quite as strong as some of the other models. And Met Eireann make their forecasts based on what the HIRLAM/HARMONIE models show - not the GFS or Euro4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Looking a very little bit further south to me on this run, I'm sure the winds on the west coast will not be pleasant at all...

gfs-0-30.png?0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Had a look at the 20 perturbations on the GEFS ensembles. About five or six would give wind gusts 15 km/hr higher than the current GFS p or the op. Number 20 appears about the strongest. So I just ran through them and did one basic estimate, max gusts at Mace Head. The range was 60 to 85 and the mean was 74.

This gives you an idea how much of a difference in impact could be experienced if this storm either maxes out or goes by without a struggle. Forecasts will of course tend to fall in the middle of the range. However, the current appearance on satellite imagery is typical of a very tightly wound up depression and it does not seem to be lifting in latitude all that fast in the past six hours (in which time it has probably deepened 10 mbs, it was 975 mb at 00z, projected to be 965 or close by 06z. The current position is about 53N 30W.

Maximum wind gusts on all reliable guidance appear to be around Galway Bay to Donegal Bay. The WRF gives me an analogue reading of 55 kts gusting 82 in this flow, 50 gusting 70 for Kerry and Cork.

I am seeing more reasons than not to "pull the trigger" on this forecast and mention gusts to 150 km/hr. Could always adjust the numbers around mid-day if they seem to be busting. As for level, I am comfortable with either 2 or 3, because whatever we choose, most of the country will be in 2 and a few parts in 3. So that's what we need to communicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I am seeing more reasons than not to "pull the trigger" on this forecast and mention gusts to 150 km/hr. Could always adjust the numbers around mid-day if they seem to be busting. As for level, I am comfortable with either 2 or 3, because whatever we choose, most of the country will be in 2 and a few parts in 3. So that's what we need to communicate.

Not meaning to be obtuse - but which way should that scale be read eg 1 very bad or 3 very bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not a happy bunny up here. It is the tree situation with a strong southerly. Ah well..met is still on orange anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

gozunda wrote: »
    Not meaning to be obtuse - but which way should that scale be read eg 1 very bad or 3 very bad?

1 is the lowest, 3 is the highest. So 3 = very bad.

06Z analysis chart puts it at 965mb, slightly more intense than the GFS for that time.

PPVA89.gif

0Z GFS shows 7 hours of violent storm force 11 conditions on the exposed western coast.

aIAmOkc.png

Met Office Shipping forecast for Shannon, Rockall and Malin mentions force 11. Met Eireann still going with nothing stronger than force 10 on their sea area forceast this morning.

0Z Euro4 track has shifted south a little.

15011500_1400.gif

0Z HIRLAM appears to be slightly weaker, so I would not expect any forecast upgrades from Met Eireann unless that changes on the next run or if their higher res models show something different.

Could some kind soul please remind me of the wind direction of last Feb's mega gale? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Beautiful crisp still morning in the north east thankfully no snow hard to believe whats in store for us

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Hey Maq how much rain do you expect from this in Leinster, with all the lying snow here in north meath, there could be alot of water about later on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Breeze has picked up here, was up at 5 and there was none, sky clear, air crisp, just a class morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Graces7 wrote: »
    Could some kind soul please remind me of the wind direction of last Feb's mega gale? Thank you.

If I rem right it was the south east. Thats why it caused so much damage down here (kinsale) we're used to the southwesterly winds. That direction caught a lot of us with damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    If I rem right it was the south east. Thats why it caused so much damage down here (kinsale) we're used to the southwesterly winds. That direction caught a lot of us with damage.

West or north west if I recall correctly

Hey Maq how much rain do you expect from this in Leinster, with all the lying snow here in north meath, there could be alot of water about later on

About 10-20mm.

Strongest winds for the Dublin area look like about around 10am Thursday morning. 110-120 km/h possible if this is right.

nmmuk-11-34-0_bpp7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Here she comes

16277619965_0f4682d89f_b.jpgrachel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Graces7 wrote: »
    heres the chart, winds generally change direction during storms (today's gales will be southerly to start and eventually veer wnw) but the strongest gusts were probably westerly.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2014/brack/bracka20140213.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

For a wind storm I take a yellow warning as a slight risk of damage. An orange alert means a more substantial risk of damage. Red means damage almost certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hmm. Heading Dublin Shannon tomorrow by road. Not enthused.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,836 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Calina wrote: »
    Hmm. Heading Dublin Shannon tomorrow by road. Not enthused.

At least you're not flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Larbre34 wrote: »
    At least you're not flying it.

About the only consolation tbh. It's pure fireside weather.

• Advertisement

tippguy2 wrote: »
    West or north west if I recall correctly

Oh dear....this house faces south and so do the trees opposite..bad feeling about this. Although they held last year and the direct west or east creates a wind tunnel effect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement