Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

kazoo106 wrote: »
    The Free-DAB NE & NI are obviously still on test - sometimes the output is EXACTLY the same as Dublin and indeed Cork as I verified last Monday myself. But most of the time it's slightly different with the local NE based stations having more bandwidth allocated.
    This is what is available today. Signal is quite poor in some areas

NRG Radio Cork - 96k
    NINETIES - 96k
    Trance Pulse - 64k
    Trax - 72k
    Atlantis - 48k
    Zenith Rock - 48k
    Spektrum Radio - 64k
    Telstar 80s - 128k
    Coast FM - 96k
    Storm North East - 128k
    Soul City - 64k
    Wild Country - 128k
    Sovereign Gold - 48k
    Smash Radio - 48k

Yes that makes sense with the bandwidth, Both Wild Country and Storm are connected. If my memory serves me correctly,They both where off springs of the Kiss FM (eye media Group ) from late 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

castle2012 wrote: »
    Yes that makes sense with the bandwidth, Both Wild Country and Storm are connected. If my memory serves me correctly,They both where off springs of the Kiss FM (eye media Group ) from late 90s

Are Phever not on that north east one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Wait WLR is on DAB in Waterford? How?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Franko87 wrote: »
    Yes Kevin zenith have agreed to rejoin us. There a fantastic station carrying a great format and the station itself is tightly put together .freedab is proud of the services it now Carrys as it's the type you will not get on FM. This is what dab should be utilised for as the bai account holders are happy on fm and have zero intrest In implementing the digital era so the best solution is utilise dab for small scale stations to use and if thos stations want to apply for an fm licence then thay have grounds to do so .further more freedab is non profit meaning .all the proceeds go to site costs and expansion. We do not or want to make money. We are more than happy to just cover runing costs as expected in runing the service .until comreg and the bai decide it is time to implement a more realistic strategy in licenceing dab and its contents then our goal will remain unchanged .

Great to hear them back on DAB in Dublin, well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

Are Phever not on that north east one?

All the current fm pirates we do not host as this was our agreed strategy ahead of implementing the platform .if and when phever decide that dab is a more cost effective realistic platform to fm to broadcast then mabe thay will make the switch. Until then thay are across Dublin on fm.

• Advertisement

Is FreeDAB in Waterford yet?

All the current fm pirates we do not host as this was our agreed strategy ahead of implementing the platform .if and when phever decide that dab is a more cost effective realistic platform to fm to broadcast then mabe thay will make the switch. Until then thay are across Dublin on fm.

I didn’t realise the Dab in the Northeast was the same owners

• Registered Users Posts: 9 neilgates

kazoo106 wrote: »
    The Free-DAB NE & NI are obviously still on test - sometimes the output is EXACTLY the same as Dublin and indeed Cork as I verified last Monday myself. But most of the time it's slightly different with the local NE based stations having more bandwidth allocated.
    This is what is available today. Signal is quite poor in some areas

NRG Radio Cork - 96k
    NINETIES - 96k
    Trance Pulse - 64k
    Trax - 72k
    Atlantis - 48k
    Zenith Rock - 48k
    Spektrum Radio - 64k
    Telstar 80s - 128k
    Coast FM - 96k
    Storm North East - 128k
    Soul City - 64k
    Wild Country - 128k
    Sovereign Gold - 48k
    Smash Radio - 48k

Which stations are you all listening to? Which are your favourites?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Wonder which one is yours Neil ?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with interference with their DAB reception?

I've an Audi A6 with a built in DAB receiver. The reception on the DAB stations used to be fine but has been muck the last number of months, and I've been reading online that 2-channel dashcams are known to interfere with the DAB antenna when hardwired. The reception comes and goes with large gaps of dead air in between.

It's been happening so long that I'm unsure if the issue started when I got the dashcam, but when someone mentioned this issue today it dawned on me that it might have been around the same time. 'll disconnect the dashcam tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Has anyone ever figured out a way around this issue as I'd love to have both, if possible.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with interference with their DAB reception?

I've an Audi A6 with a built in DAB receiver. The reception on the DAB stations used to be fine but has been muck the last number of months, and I've been reading online that 2-channel dashcams are known to interfere with the DAB antenna when hardwired. The reception comes and goes with large gaps of dead air in between.

It's been happening so long that I'm unsure if the issue started when I got the dashcam, but when someone mentioned this issue today it dawned on me that it might have been around the same time. 'll disconnect the dashcam tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Has anyone ever figured out a way around this issue as I'd love to have both, if possible.

Hi the likes of cheap dash cams and cigarette chargers cause havoc with fm and dab radio In cars because the said devices have very poor filtering.

Have a quick Google -- seen this if it helps .
    https://www.dashwitness.com/blog/how-to-resolve-dab-interference/

Hi the likes of cheap dash cams and cigarette chargers cause havoc with fm and dab radio In cars because the said devices have very poor filtering.

Thing is, it wasn't that cheap. I paid nearly €500 for the camera + installation.
    Oscarziggy wrote: »

Cheers for this, just bought a pack of ten off amazon. I'll report back on whether or not it was successful.

Thing is, it wasn't that cheap. I paid nearly €500 for the camera + installation.

Cheers for this, just bought a pack of ten off amazon. I'll report back on whether or not it was successful.

May I also ask to what county you were listening to and what multiplex. Eg rte freedab.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

I have aftermarket LED bulbs in my headlamps, when they are on I get no DAB reception on Freedab (RTE works fine). So I got some of those clips, attached them to the wiring for the headlights but still have the same issue. 100% the LEDs are the issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,823 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Oscarziggy wrote: »

A fiver each?

Gerrupdayard!
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

May I also ask to what county you were listening to and what multiplex. Eg rte freedab.

What County?.... I'm in Dublin if that's what you mean.
    The issue affects both the MUX and FREEDAB stations, though the likes of RTÉ gold are much better than, say, the likes of TRAX

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    A fiver each?

Gerrupdayard!

Bargain !!! (not)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Turns out my dash-cam is the reason why I couldn't reliably tune in the Mux, didn't matter if it was running on its own battery or the Cigarette-Socket adapter.
    Do let me know, I'd be interested in such a solution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Wait WLR is on DAB in Waterford? How?

Certainly no DAB in Waterford, maybe the test mux from Donnybrook is still on carrying some IBI stations?

• Advertisement

Is the dab stuff still on in Dublin? I’m only getting the RTE stuff & Radio Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Is the dab stuff still on in Dublin? I’m only getting the RTE stuff & Radio Maria

Yes, its on. 15 stations. Radio Maria isn't on DAB in Dublin. It's carried on Saorview.

Do let me know, I'd be interested in such a solution

Arrived today, I'll try them when I get home and send you a pair for free if they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Free-DAB signal stil not great in North Dublin

Any chance of a signal boast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Free-DAB signal stil not great in North Dublin

Any chance of a signal boast?

Yea have to say noticed that myself I reckon it's the site the guys have

Still a few blackspots in Cork
    Stations:

Nonstop 90s
    NRG Radio Cork
    Zenith
    Coast FM
    Wild Country
    Global
    Storm NE
    Sovereign Gold
    Atlantis

Still a few blackspots in Cork
    Stations:

Nonstop 90s
    NRG Radio Cork
    Zenith
    Coast FM
    Wild Country
    Global
    Storm NE
    Sovereign Gold
    Atlantis

No Trax, TrancePulse or Zenith Rock??

No Trax, TrancePulse or Zenith Rock??

Zenith was there, no sign of the other two

Zenith was there, no sign of the other two

Oh yes I see Zenith there, didn't look properly. Strange that the other two dance ones are not on it but are on the Dublin mux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

In Dublin the Free-DAB Mux has changed to Free-DAB Dublin

Advertisement