Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm in a classic rock band and we play beastie boys

Thats fcuked up....................:D

Are we ok as a group with the BB being rock....because theyre white....just sayin....:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

FanadMan wrote: »
    Would never class anything BB did as rock.

Sabotage was pure rock gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Sabotage was pure rock gold.

As was No Sleep till Brooklyn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,165 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We cover fight for your right to party

As was No Sleep till Brooklyn.

Isn't that the video where the bar owner wont let them in with their turntables so they disguise themselves as a rock band?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

There entire day time playlist seems to consist of Summer of 69, Run To You, Parachute, Don't Stop Believing and the like. Same 20 songs.

Shít party music.

The amount of great new music released every week and they play Broken Wings by Mr Mister. Fúck off lads.

The Nal wrote: »
    There entire day time playlist seems to consist of Summer of 69, Run To You, Parachute, Don't Stop Believing and the like. Same 20 songs.

Shít party music.

The amount of great new music released every week and they play Broken Wings by Mr Mister. Fúck off lads.

do we expect new music on nova?

do we expect new music on nova?

Maybe early evening after the drive time yeah. They don't do a lot to promote new rock music.

There should be a slot each day for new music. Or drop a couple in. Otherwise its the equivalent of a restaurant that never changes menu. Boring.

The Rolys Bistro of radio.

Maybe early evening after the drive time yeah. They don't do a lot to promote new rock music.

i don't know what they are at all anymore

• Advertisement

i don't know what they are at all anymore

TBH I rarely listen. Mainly as a result of the stale shíte they play.

No reason to listen to Nova when there Spotify Discover Weekly and Release Radar. Also apps like Simple Radio where you can listen to whatever station you want. NTS, KUSF, WWOZ, XRAY, KEXP and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭prunudo

Shít party music.

I think you're missing the point of a classic rock station (i use that term loosely) if you're expecting to hear new music on Nova.

prunudo wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point of a classic rock station (i use that term loosely) if you're expecting to hear new music on Nova.

TBF...they do play some new stuff...but its that new sh1te thats basically Adele with a mickey......awful..:rolleyes:

Here's a podcast I found randomly not too long ago. It plays the right balance of classic bands and up and coming rock/alternative talent, and strongly supports up and coming Irish acts. It has played The Temeperance Movement, Tax the Heat and Broken Witt Rebels who you never hear on Nova.
    https://www.mixcloud.com/DJBambiInDaHouze/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 Jiveartist

You can see the main stream music beginning to filter in now since Colon got his grubby hands in there, heard a song two weeks ago very poppy that was on Pat's stint and he was basically laughing having to say what song it was, in his disbelief off course. Yeah. Pat holding the place only tune in to listen to the dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Jiveartist wrote: »
    You can see the main stream music beginning to filter in now since Colon got his grubby hands in there, heard a song two weeks ago very poppy that was on Pat's stint and he was basically laughing having to say what song it was, in his disbelief off course. Yeah. Pat holding the place only tune in to listen to the dude.

The rot was there before Colon arrived. Used to get Morty playing AC/DC, Maiden, Motorhead etc in the morning and anything goes on Pats show. But they were doing bad and had to appease the mummies at home and start playing 80s pop and it went downhill from there.

But things went from bad to worse when the current morning muppets arrived. Morty and Mamma Dee and all the baby talk was bad enough but those current fúckwits have destroyed it beyond recognition.

• Advertisement

FanadMan wrote: »
    The rot was there before Colon arrived. Used to get Morty playing AC/DC, Maiden, Motorhead etc in the morning and anything goes on Pats show. But they were doing bad and had to appease the mummies at home and start playing 80s pop and it went downhill from there.

But things went from bad to worse when the current morning muppets arrived. Papa Morty and Mamma Dee and all the baby talk is bad enough but those current fúckwits have destroyed it beyond recognition.

God love them..its all they have in their sad lives.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I heard Greg play X-Press 2 Ft. David Byrne "Lazy" last night

I know it features David Byrne from Talking Heads, though is this the start of Nova started to playing recent (15 - 20 years) dance classics??

Dee played New orders classic rock tune, the 12" version of Blue Monday yesterday too.

Dee played New orders classic rock tune, the 12" version of Blue Monday yesterday too.

they have been playing that for years...Anyway it's in a different league to the X-Press 2 song

I heard Greg play X-Press 2 Ft. David Byrne "Lazy" last night

I know it features David Byrne from Talking Heads, though is this the start of Nova started to playing recent (15 - 20 years) dance classics??
    Personally I think it is a great song. Plus it has David Byrne on it so it's one of the better dance songs of the 21st century imo.

• Advertisement

Sure they've being playing Moby since last week when PD played it......I do like Moby tho...:o

As i said (probably a few hundred posts ago now:P) as soon as Adele or Ed Sheeran does a duet with U2 or Jon bovi.....you'll here it on nova....

It'll be Haze trying to suck in the youngsters....like some old perv.....

Lets face it, there's too much cross over between what they play on Nova and Classic hits. Bar the lack of rock I'd go as far as to say that that classic hits have a better and broader playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Dub Ste

Lets face it, there's too much cross over between what they play on Nova and Classic hits. Bar the lack of rock I'd go as far as to say that that classic hits have a better and broader playlist.

They share the same building, and dare I say it, possibly the the same cd collection !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Dub Ste wrote: »
    They share the same building, and dare I say it, possibly the the same cd collection !!!!

at least they don't share the same egotistical DJs and scripted jokes. I got sick of the toilet humour from Colon Sprays and Loosey Stool a long time ago.

Guys who do we think is the best presenter on Nova?

Peter Devlin
    Greg Goughran

thats it for me....sad but true...:)

Is'nt it so much better when Morty isnt there...been enjoying Ruth this morning..no mention of babies or false laughing....just good music...just sayin...:)

Peter Devlin
    Greg Goughran

thats it for me....sad but true...:)
    Greg can be very interesting, he often tells little known facts about certain bands/songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

[QUOTE=

Did i hear right the other morning Loostool thought Kate Bush was dead......:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

She also didn't know that Prince wrote Nothing Compares to U

She also didn't know that Prince wrote Nothing Compares to U

TBF to Loosestool....a lot of gobsh1tes wouldnt know that.............:D

• Advertisement

TBF to Loosestool....a lot of gobsh1tes wouldnt know that.............:D

Eh yeah but a 'presenter 'on a so called rock station should.

Is'nt it so much better when Morty isnt there...been enjoying Ruth this morning..no mention of babies or false laughing....just good music...just sayin...:)

Ruth's a pretty good DJ. Pity she isn't on more often, but they probably can't afford to have her on every single week, plus she MCs many events.

Ruth's a pretty good DJ. Pity she isn't on more often, but they probably can't afford to have her on every single week, plus she MCs many events.

I actually find her excruciating to listen to, talks too much about inane stuff and laughs just that little too much at her own jokes.

herself and that paddy guy on Weekenders 2fm was very painful to listen to

I actually find her excruciating to listen to, talks too much about inane stuff and laughs just that little too much at her own jokes.

Sounds like Morty....:p

Can someone tell me what cure song is on the 5pm_6pm playlist? I believe there's a violin in it

Can someone tell me what cure song is on the 5pm_6pm playlist? I believe there's a violin in it

Lullaby?

Lullaby?

Missus says no :(....piano intro then screechy violen

• Advertisement

Speaking of the Cure, on Greg's show I've been hearing Repetition by Ride a good bit lately, and Ride opened for them in Malahide Castle recently. It's a great song.

you got it Max!

Its in my jukebox........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Hands down Greg Gaughran.. He's the only reason I still listen to Nova tbh. He's a class DJ. Plays great tunes with just the right balance of talking in between and always interesting facts and little stories. Can anyone in the know tell me why oh why they took Greg of his daytime slot? Surely you use your best DJs in the morning or afternoon no?

Nova was a breath of fresh air when it first came out, great music and all of our favourite classics and rock music, but with the exception of Greg, I think the station has taken the eye of the ball.. Not as relevant anymore.

There was a time when id have to think about what station id tune into in the mornings.. Not anymore.. These days Nova isn't even in my thinking tbh.. Colm and Lucy... Jesus, give me strength... id prefer to listen to paint dry... I'd sooner sit through an episode of the Ray D'Arcy show on the telly and that's saying something!!

Change is good... but for feck sake, don't change everything...

So I still turn the dial to Nova the occasional time when listening during the evening, but most of my radio consumption is day time and their current day time line up just isn't the right choices.

Anyone with me here?

Hands down Greg Gaughran.. He's the only reason I still listen to Nova tbh. He's a class DJ. Plays great tunes with just the right balance of talking in between and always interesting facts and little stories. Can anyone in the know tell me why oh why they took Greg of his daytime slot? Surely you use your best DJs in the morning or afternoon no?

Nova was a breath of fresh air when it first came out, great music and all of our favourite classics and rock music, but with the exception of Greg, I think the station has taken the eye of the ball.. Not as relevant anymore.

There was a time when id have to think about what station id tune into in the mornings.. Not anymore.. These days Nova isn't even in my thinking tbh.. Colm and Lucy... Jesus, give me strength... id prefer to listen to paint dry... I'd sooner sit through an episode of the Ray D'Arcy show on the telly and that's saying something!!

So I still turn the dial to Nova the occasional time when listening during the evening, but most of my radio consumption is day time and their current day time line up just isn't the right choices.

Anyone with me here?
    I don't listen much to the daytime DJs. But I like Greg, Peter, Gavin and Kieran, and Tony when I get the chance to listen to him. I think the night shows are the best personally

Its only when you listen to 8radio ,especially at the weekends that you realise how really bad our so called "rock" station is....better music, presenters and no Benny hill humor. ..

Sooner the better Simon gets the license ..he might give Colon a job....:D

• Advertisement

Anyone with me here?

absolutely. 100%. I completely stopped listening when they cut John Clarkes classic gold Sunday back in March, that was the last Straw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

One of the promos talking about not being able to talk about Pat Courtney's arse. Not in the slightest bit funny and the lowest form of toilet humour. Yet you can bet somebody in the station rolled about the place laughing at the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Anyone with me here?

Yes, but it's a shame Greg is competing with John Creedon and Fiachna O' Broinan on Radio 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shparty music.

I had more songs on my nokia 6230, its fcuking embarrassing. Keep that "nova noise" money and buy some music. There are some decent DJs later on who play good stuff and I imagine they must cringe at all the repeats during the day.
    They do play new stuff, there is some mediocre springsteen song they keep playing, and about 3 of his other old tracks -and that's it! massive back catalogue and just the same ones. I was able to call it out in work "Kate Bush wurthering heights is due on lads" and sure enough its on soon enough, as though she was a one hit wonder.

They keep playing the extremely bland recent Cranberries song too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

I used to listen to Nova but I’ve completely stopped for the following reasons

1. I find their imaging awful -does anyone other than someone in Castleforbes really think it’s funny ? I’ve yet to meet anyone

2. It isn’t a rock station in any definition - how it still holds a rock licence is a mystery to me

3. The breakfast show - does anyone like it - to me it’s pathetic . Nova does believe in it but guys come on ....

4. Each to his / her own but Ruth Scott ? Her knowledge of music seems to come from google and she talks endlessly . There’s an old saying in radio that if you’ve nothing to say , say nothing ! It’s good advice

When it first came on air I listened pretty much all day but today and I kid you not neither I nor anyone I know listens anymore .

What a shame

• Advertisement
Advertisement