Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is packaged ham REALLY that bad?

Options
  • 21-04-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Is it really that bad for the 'average' person or is just the equivalent of garlic to a vampire for the extremely health conscious amongst us?

Ham & cheese toasties are just so easy & tasty for lunchtimes! :-(

If it really IS that bad, what are the alternatives? Freshly carved ham from the deli counter?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

As with anything, the dose makes the poison.

If it's one ham and cheese toastie a week (btw, shop-bought bread and processed cheese aren't super healthy either) and you're otherwise in good health and a healthy weight I wouldn't let it bother you.

But if it's everyday then maybe not. From the most conservative estimates of observational studies, 50g a day of processed meat is the limit, but that could be that people who eat a lot of processed meat don't have great diets to begin with.

Fresh meat is best though, so get your meat needs from fresh wherever possible and don't sweat the odd slice of ham. (fresh everything else is also a good rule of thumb!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Is it really that bad for the 'average' person or is just the equivalent of garlic to a vampire for the extremely health conscious amongst us?

If it really IS that bad, what are the alternatives? Freshly carved ham from the deli counter?

No its not that bad. Is it the healthiest choice ? No . Is it the worst choice ? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I suppose it really depends on who you ask. A vegetarian organic-crazy person will tell you it's the worst thing ever. Someone on your more average kind of diet will tell you it's grand. It's going to be hard to get a regulated answer. Is there anything specifically in the packaged ham that you'd be concerned about?

For me personally, I decided recently to remove processed meats from my diet, as I've read a tonne of info about processed foods and meats lacking nutrients and containing damaging chemicals. Myself, I can't say for certain that that is correct information, but I've had to just make the best decision I can with the information I've read that I trust the most.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I eat a full packet of ham as a snack most days, have not died yet.

~100 cals ~20g of protein ~2g of fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

conzy wrote: »

A packet of processed ham a day is terribly bad for you. And i presume you mean 100 cals per slice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

mickman wrote: »
    And i presume you mean 100 cals per slice

I doubt it. It's around 10cal per slice in most of Denny's range anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

A packet of processed ham a day is terribly bad for you. And i presume you mean 100 cals per slice

What's so terribly bad about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kyro wrote: »
    it's processed, pumped with a salt solution, not great for your stomach in large doses, can contribute to cancer like all processed stuff.....

but then again....doesn't everything

i'd prefer slices off the cut, however the cheaper packaged slices would be made of many types of pig meat compressed in a container and baked giving it a square or rounded shape that's easy to slice. (like sausages only without the gristle and spices)

Even the proper ham (think it's a hind quarter) is pumped with a solution and cured in a tank of salt for days.

Kyro wrote: »

Nitrates and heaps of salt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Great source of protein when theres nothing else in the fridge.
    Bit salty but so is salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A pack has less than half a gram of salt in 100g.
    112 kcal (based on Denny's crumbed ham).

It's not my idea of fine dining but I don't think Conzy is going to be on his death bed from eating it anytime soon.

Unless he's distracted by a passing pack as he benches and dies when he drops the bar on himself.

A pack has less than half a gram of salt in 100g.
    112 kcal (based on Denny's crumbed ham).

It's not my idea of fine dining but I don't think Conzy is going to be on his death bed from eating it anytime soon.

Unless he's distracted by a passing pack as he benches and dies when he drops the bar on himself.

Toxin ingestion in processed meat won't kill you right away but it will cause a build up in the body and eventually lead to disease

Toxin ingestion in processed meat won't kill you right away but it will cause a build up in the body and eventually lead to disease

He's talking about 100g. There won't be enough toxins in there to eventually definitely result in disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

For me, it's the type of thing where the threat is just so remote and vague that I just can't see myself ever caring enough to not eat ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thanks guys.
    I have an 'okay' diet otherwise but it's not extremely healthy - I eat crisps and chocolate and drink alcohol but I had heard reports about packaged ham linked to some forms of cancers and just wanted to see if it was an urban myth or what.

I don't think 1 slice of ham a day is going to kill me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Thanks guys.
    I have an 'okay' diet otherwise but it's not extremely healthy - I eat crisps and chocolate and drink alcohol but I had heard reports about packaged ham linked to some forms of cancers and just wanted to see if it was an urban myth or what.

I don't think 1 slice of ham a day is going to kill me!

No, it's more likely to be the crisps and chocolate and alcohol that kill you :P

But no I don't think 1 slice a day is going to kill you. While eating that diet, you mightn't be the healthiest you could be, or feel the best you could feel, but unless you're willing to cut out most of the junk in your diet then I wouldn't be getting bogged down with 1 slice of ham a day.

whirlpool wrote: »
    No, it's more likely to be the crisps and chocolate and alcohol that kill you :P

But no I don't think 1 slice a day is going to kill you. While eating that diet, you mightn't be the healthiest you could be, or feel the best you could feel, but unless you're willing to cut out most of the junk in your diet then I wouldn't be getting bogged down with 1 slice of ham a day.

I could have predicted people would hone in on that!!!

Small changes eh!!

These threads are hilarious

I eat a packet of ham / chicken / tuna / roast beef as a high protein snack and im going to get cancer?

I think I'll just start eating Nutri-grains and Belvita "Breakfast Biscuits" instead

I eat a packet of ham / chicken / tuna / roast beef as a high protein snack and im going to get cancer?

I think I'll just start eating Nutri-grains and Belvita "Breakfast Biscuits" instead

You're easily entertained.

Ham is serious business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Nutrition and diet threads have always been hilarious. Mention bread for guaranteed comedy.

dor843088 wrote: »
    Nutrition and diet threads have always been hilarious. Mention bread for guaranteed comedy.

WHITE bread?! :P :eek:

Well you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting cancer in your lifetime anyway. Adding known carcinogens into your diet won't help your cause

I nearly got knocked down as I crossed the road at the weekend to buy ham in the shop.

Q.E.D.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Well you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting cancer in your lifetime anyway. Adding known carcinogens into your diet won't help your cause

The fact that 1 in 3 people get cancer doesn't necessarily mean that you automatically have a 1 in 3 chance of getting cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NoPainNoGain

Do you ever look at the pork content on the back of the packets? Scary on some branded products :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Buy yourself a cooked ham hock from a supermarket or butchers hot food counter instead. They're about 4 or 5 quid, just as convenient and far nicer ham.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

People joke, but we used to have shocking rates of stomach cancer in this country. There were no fridges in homes, most meats were heavily salted to preserve them. When fridges made an appearance, stomach cancer became very rare.

I don't know if it's causation or not, but I'm sure as hell not taking the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Isn't all ham processed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And what 'toxins' are these?

Advertisement