Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Thanks iMax for posting them. I especially love the shot looking towards Poolbeg with the Customs House,Gasometer and Poolbeg Chimneys in. To me a classic picture of Dublin from when i was a kid.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Not sure if this has covered on here,but,does anyone know when they changed the direction of the traffic on the quays in Dublin.

I've seen footage that shows traffic on the northside quays heading towards Hueston,and the southside heading towards the docks.

The footage looks as though it was shot in the 60's,so was wondering when they changed.

Thanks..

From my recollection it was in the early 80's possibly1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not sure if this has covered on here,but,does anyone know when they changed the direction of the traffic on the quays in Dublin.

I've seen footage that shows traffic on the northside quays heading towards Hueston,and the southside heading towards the docks.

The footage looks as though it was shot in the 60's,so was wondering when they changed.

Thanks..

Not sure about the quays, was it all changed at the same time?.

I went to Lebanon in 1988 and when I came home in the winter of that year traffic had changed in some streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Shegull wrote: »
    From my recollection it was in the early 80's possibly1982

Thanks for that.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind it,as I guess it must have been havoc when they changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks for that.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind it,as I guess it must have been havoc when they changed.

They say that dictatorships in South America change all the one-way systems when people get too political; takes their minds off politics ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

They say that dictatorships in South America change all the one-way systems when people get too political; takes their minds off politics ;)

Makes sense :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You might also ask the people who ran this exhibition in February.

Just to let everyone know -

The Bang-Bang exhibition will continue in Pearse Street Public Library until Friday 3 June. Opening hours are:

Monday-Thursday 10.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.
    Friday & Saturday 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
    Admission free

Might get a poster at this exhibition, thanks Rashers et al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Thanks for that.

it was the openeing of the new sean heuston bridge down at heuston station, think it was 81. as a kid i remember the first time i got a bus to my aunt in tallaght, think it was a 65 because they lived just off the main tallaght road. the bus stop was on Batchelors Walk but on the liffey side. it was a roasting hot day and my mother bought me a little red plastic jet plane which i held in my hand all the way out, trip seemed to take forever and it was my first time in a val hool double deck too, so all new.

the buses used to go as far as caple street bridge then go to city hall and turn right. as far as i remember the changeover was done overnight, possibly a saturday night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Frank Sherwin Bridge opened in '82 some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

it was the openeing of the new sean heuston bridge down at heuston station, think it was 81. as far as i remember the changeover was done overnight, possibly a saturday night.

Agree, it was a Saturday night. I remember there were terrible jams on the Sunday - actually made the BBC news! The Talbot Memorial bridge was the first step in the plan, when the Sherwin bridge opened they were able to reverse the traffic flows.
    I think the change was in late 1982 or in 1983.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure of the year - possibly late 30s early 40s.
    If anyone thinks they might know someone, PM me your email for a better copy.
    My grandad is seated first on the left.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not a historic picture as such, just thought I'd share and it might be appreciated here!

I was clearing out a shed today and came across this milk bottle from Merville Dairy, Finglas.
    The bottle is dated 1945 on the base, and it's amazing how thick the glass is.
    My gran would have worked there in the late 60s, early 70s when it was Merville Dairy and later Premier dairies.

bottle4.jpg

It says "Unauthorised Persons using this bottle will be prosecuted" on the back of the bottle!
    bottle3.jpg

Hard to see it but there is '1945' stamped on the bottled as well as 'MD'

bottle1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The glass is thick because you had to wash them out ("AND RINSE THEM! If you don't rinse them you could POISON SOMEONE!") and leave them back on the doorstep for the milkman to collect.

Isn't there an exhibition of old Dublin this and that at the moment that's looking for a loan of old milk bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

I have just invested in a fantastic book called Dublin An Urban History by Niall McCullough. Really is a great book and has many fantastic photos of all parts of Dublin. Has anybody else seen it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

spurious wrote: »
    Not sure of the year - possibly late 30s early 40s.
    If anyone thinks they might know someone, PM me your email for a better copy.
    My grandad is seated first on the left.

Many thanks for that photograph. I can date it post 1937, when the green and cream livery came in on the Dublin buses, but pre 1940, when those single deck buses were rebodied. So definitely 1937-1940, and I will try to narrow it down further.

That photograph is a valuable piece of research for the history of Dublin bus services. It's a fabulous photo too! Have you any more photos from Summerhill Garage, or your grandfather? Any memorabilia or anecdotes? All very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Here's a few stills I got from British Pathé films of Dublin which are mostly worth a watch. There's tonnes of them. I found the Norn Iron ones really interesting too.

The colour ones are all from '60s tourism promo films. The Dev pic is from 1966. There's a crowd picture of Redmondites in the 1910's, anyone know where it was taken, there's a fairly distinct building in the background but I can't place it. It may not be Dublin however.

Where is/was the Stag's Tail?

5738674648_5b641c6889_z.jpg

Is this Grafton St?

5738674534_a4c7348dbc_b.jpg

5738124079_5cc7ebce07_z.jpg

5738123947_7d0cb598a9_b.jpg

5738674056_3348ec1ed2_b.jpg

5738673900_fa72f3c0d7_b.jpg

5738123505_df412126a5_z.jpg

5738123343_4802ae8a86_z.jpg

5738673476_403f63077a_b.jpg

5738673358_5e277873b3_b.jpg

5738122971_bb73ba91fe_b.jpg

The odd cropping is because Pathé includes a big ugly watermark at the bottom of the pics. I'm tempted to order a couple of the stills as proper prints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 leojake

i think the stags tail is now the dame tavern opposite the stags head was known has Van Goghs when i drank there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Slyne's was a very upmarket clothes shop on the corner of Harry Street & Grafton Street. It closed in the mid-70s.

Speedsie wrote: »
    Slyne's was a very upmarket clothes shop on the corner of Harry Street & Grafton Street. It closed in the mid-70s.

Ah cool, I guessed it was Grafton St. but wasn't sure what corner that was. It was a Dunkin Donuts in the '80/90s wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Yes it was Dunkin Donuts for a couple of years. Now it is a Boodles jewelery shop - enter at your peril - very, very, very expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Just found this website, the Irish Historical Picture Company:

http://www.ihpc.ie/ihpc/Main/Home.asp

work.6509156.1.flat,550x550,075,f.mount-jerome-cemetery-in-the-snow.jpg

P8241029.jpg

Both pics above of Mount Jerome Cemetery, Harolds Cross, source Google Images..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 surfinmurf66

i have just joined up boards.ie basically to be able to look at all the amazing photos of dublin that i could only briefly look at not been a member. its absolutely fascinating looking at how the city has changed and also seeing images of the people who made these changes happen. has anyone come across a picture of the old commercial buildings on dame street - before the central bank was built ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

162428.jpg

162430.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Crikey, you'd need sunglasses looking at that one of O'Connell Bridge! Can't beat John Hinde for the auld touched up postcards.

5830463576_599a152fbc_b.jpg

5829914607_91b7895f57_b.jpg

5830462730_b3802fa2e2_b.jpg

Here's some more. They're all from the US Library Of Congress. A great resource online.

5836150805_419e4c9fc2_b.jpg

5836698340_9036f95574_b.jpg

5836698132_3aa033d25b_b.jpg

5836697848_38d4bee381_b.jpg

5836149671_9e16477b99_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I thought it was fantastic:

http://www.photography.paul-walsh.net/landscape/Cushman/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I love Then & Now stuff like that,thanks for posting.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Has anyone got any photos or prints of army head quarters on Infirmary Road?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

AHQ during the takeover frm the British. I don't know the exact date for this photo.

AHQtakingover-a.jpg

Advertisement