Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ChrisSullivan

Is that the one on the right, heading out of town and still open?.
    I can't see that one, Mak, but 10 Poplar Row is, sadly, no more. There was a block of flats on it at one time and now there is some kind of 'nothing' - we have photos of it somewhere; I'll have to sort them out,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 leojake

hi i am looking for the name of the Square where the married quarters were at griffith barracks on the South-Cir-Road the is now a old folks home there now photo would be good has well hope somebody can help.Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Would anyone have a photo of Larkfield, the house owned by the Plunkett family in Kimmage (now replaced by a Superquinn and other shops and a housing estate on Sundrive Road)?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bjg

Would anyone have a photo of the old Sheriff Street Bridge over Spencer Dock on the Royal Canal? I don't mean the current lifting bridge, which was opened in 1941, but the "floating swing bridge" installed in 1873. I have a website about Irish waterways history; I have some information about the floating swing bridge and would like to put it on my website but I'd love to have a photo to show what it looked like.

bjg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I don't know if this has been covered here already but just in case it hasn't, I was given a really rather good dvd boxset called Ireland, it's available in HMV for a 9.99..it's a compilation of shows about Ireland from the History channel, but one of the dvds is an EXCELLENT film made in 1973 called A curious Journey, which is about the Easter Rising, topic aside, it's got some really incredible footage of Dublin in 1973, and It may sound sentimental but everything just looks so much better and more beautiful. I found it on youtube, it's in five parts, here's the first. Really a wonderful hours viewing for many reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Here's some bits and bobs from the Capuchin Annual, 1936.

Not photo but thought might interest some here:
    5281194696_b38b234477_b.jpg

Some Dublin ads from that particular publication:

5280591603_1730056e90_b.jpg

5280591347_da902bdaab_b.jpg

and an actual photograph albeit blurry:

5280593067_cce49c1962_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

wow, a 3 digit phone number for blackrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Butt Bridge taken from Tara St.

attachment.php?attachmentid=142445&stc=1&d=1294482989

And the building of Liberty Hall.

attachment.php?attachmentid=142446&stc=1&d=1294483052

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Just came across this from the City Council Libraries: http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/image-galleries/digital-collections

Launched only last month the range of pics is fantastic. I found the ones on Vanishing Dublin particularly interesting.

Fair play to whoever in DCC put it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Liberties Race? Was that an annual race or what was the craic with it? See the picture was taken on Meath St, still looks like it is today from that view, even Roches sign hasn't changed.:D

Also the Liberties Football Team, anyone know where that picture was taken and what were Liberties Football Team?

Aside from the Jodi Stand, Dalyer still looks like it did back in 1977.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

great thread i love seeing old photos of dublin . here is a few attached pics of british army in dublin and one Irish army.

some more pics attached. sorry haven't been to master the hole photobucket thing.

a few more pics.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Great pics RDub
    attachment.php?attachmentid=145757&d=1296418019
    One I posted a while back in 4x4s.
    Is it the same building?
    Picture_041_Medium_1.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hermy wrote: »
    Is it the same building?

Looks like it alright.

Hermy wrote: »
    Great pics RDub

One I posted a while back in 4x4s.
    Is it the same building?

its the same building, its down the quays but i have no idea of the name or who its use now. i believe it was a barracks of the black and tans but am not 100% on that

I think it was a hotel before Irish Rail moved in. It's used as office space by a construction company now as far as I know.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

its the same building, its down the quays but i have no idea of the name or who its use now. i believe it was a barracks of the black and tans but am not 100% on that

Are you sure it's not the same building? It used to be a hotel and the next building down (away from the camera) was a train terminal (north wall quay). I think i heard somewhere else that the hotel was were soldiers stayed if/when they were transferring through the port

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

ollaetta wrote: »
    Just came across this from the City Council Libraries: http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/image-galleries/digital-collections

Launched only last month the range of pics is fantastic. I found the ones on Vanishing Dublin particularly interesting.

A new gallery was added yesterday with the theme of Dublin pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

ollaetta wrote: »
    A new gallery was added yesterday with the theme of Dublin pubs.

Wow, love some of those Pub pictures.

Check this out:
    146063.jpg
    That was then (Only 1990!!??)

146062.jpg
    This is now!

Also, found this:
    146060.jpg

On the dublin city website it says its on wexford st. I can't imagine what's there now. Anybody got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

On the dublin city website it says its on wexford st. I can't imagine what's there now. Anybody got any ideas?

Is it where Shine is? Conner of Cuffe St and Wexford St?

ajc100 wrote: »
    Is it where Shine is? Conner of Cuffe St and Wexford St?

I don't think so. Most of the buildings on wexford street look really old, and there's no sign of any of them in the picture of gleesons.

146060.jpg

Is that bus heading up Harrington Street?
    The church spire and the trees makes me think so.
    Having said that I don't recognise the buildings in the foreground at all.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

This facebook group has hundreds of brilliant photos, old and new.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=381106116417

it was on the corner of charlmont st and harcourt road if you look at the bleeding horse photo the road used to be on the left has you look

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Wow, love some of those Pub pictures.

Check this out:
    146063.jpg
    That was then (Only 1990!!??)?

Looks older than 1990.

Wikipedia says "The Bleeding Horse (it was renamed The Falcon between 1965 and 1985)".

The sign above the door says The Falcon Inn so if Wiki is correct it's pre 1985 anyway

leojake wrote: »
    it was on the corner of charlmont st and harcourt road if you look at the bleeding horse photo the road used to be on the left has you look

Thanks! That makes sense. It's funny how they just got rid of that whole section of road!

1968 wrote: »
    Looks older than 1990.

Wikipedia says "The Bleeding Horse (it was renamed The Falcon between 1965 and 1985)".

The sign above the door says The Falcon Inn so if Wiki is correct it's pre 1985 anyway

Yea I thought it was older than 1990. That's what the date is on the Dublin City Website - must be wrong. That section of road is long gone as I never remember it being there!

• Advertisement

If you look to the left of the pub you we see the charlmont inn

Advertisement