Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-03-2017, 22:06   #31
Bob24

I see in the T&Cs for the offer that "4G cannot be used when roaming and 4G is for mobile phone data use only".

Do I get it right that it means there is no data roaming service whatsoever available with this offer? (I might be wrong but the way this is worded, I supposed that when they write 4G they mean data service in gereral)

Last edited by Bob24; 18-03-2017 at 22:11.
Advertisement
19-03-2017, 08:53   #32
Rock Paper Scissors

I'd be all over this if tethering was allowed.
19-03-2017, 09:29   #33
Sir Dosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Paper Scissors View Post
I'd be all over this if tethering was allowed.
To tether on Vodafone all you need to do is remove the hs.Vodafone.com APN from your phone. Once you remove that you will not get charged extra so long as you stay under your data limit.

I would rarely need to tether but it's handy to have those times when stuck.

Edit: I am referring to use of tethering while at home. Not while roaming on other networks.

Last edited by Sir Dosser; 19-03-2017 at 09:40.
Thanks from:
19-03-2017, 09:42   #34
Bob24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyJim View Post
To tether on Vodafone all you need to do is remove the hs.Vodafone.com APN from your phone. Once you remove that you will not get charged extra so long as you stay under your data limit.

I would rarely need to tether but it's handy to have those times when stuck.
Does that work on an iOS device? I am not sure it is still the case but Apple used to let partner networks specify in their carrier bundles that users are not allowed to amend APNs. It is currently not a problem with Three but while I haven't tried recently I know it used to be the case with Vodafone.
19-03-2017, 09:44   #35
Sir Dosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob24 View Post
Does that work on an iOS device? I am not sure it is still the case but Apple used to let partner networks specify in their carrier bundles that users are not allowed to amend APNs. It is currently not a problem with Three but while I haven't tried recently I know it used to be the case with Vodafone.
I'm an Android user so I'm not sure. If you can add/remove APNs in the settings then you can.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201699
Advertisement
19-03-2017, 09:49   #36
logically

Quote:
I see in the T&Cs for the offer that "4G cannot be used when roaming and 4G is for mobile phone data use only".

Do I get it right that it means there is no data roaming service whatsoever available with this offer? (I might be wrong but the way this is worded, I supposed that when they write 4G they mean data service in gereral)
You get the red roaming plan as standard. That's what comes up when I login to my account on this offer and check my roaming plan.

https://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/red-roaming
Thanks from:
19-03-2017, 09:53   #37
Bob24

Quote:
I'm an Android user so I'm not sure. If you can add/remove APNs in the settings then you can.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201699
Yes as they say, "If your carrier allows it, you can view the APN settings on your iOS device".

Vodafone definitely used not to allow it. I'll find out soon of they have changed :-)
19-03-2017, 09:55   #38
Bob24

Quote:
Originally Posted by logically View Post
You get the red roaming plan as standard. That's what comes up when I login to my account on this offer and check my roaming plan.

https://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/red-roaming
Thanks, great to hear - the wording of the T&Cs worried me a bit.
19-03-2017, 10:03   #39
Sir Dosser

Quote:
Thanks, great to hear - the wording of the T&Cs worried me a bit.
Better than nothing but 200mb isn't much to play with. Would want all app updates switched off and only switch data on when required.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-03-2017, 10:03   #40
Sir Dosser

Quote:
Yes as they say, "If your carrier allows it, you can view the APN settings on your iOS device".

Vodafone definitely used not to allow it. I'll find out soon of they have changed :-)
Ah yes, you probably can't amend it on Vodafone so.
19-03-2017, 10:15   #41
Bob24

Quote:
Better than nothing but 200mb isn't much to play with. Would want all app updates switched off and only switch data on when required.
Yes agreed. I wonder what they will do about it when new EU regulations come to play in 3 months time. In theory they would have to let us use the Irish data allowance in the EU with no additional charge (with - if I understand it right - an option for them to restrict that free roaming use to 20 euros worth of the EU wholesale data roaming rate over each 30 days period, which I think would be a bit over 2GB).

Last edited by Bob24; 19-03-2017 at 10:48.
19-03-2017, 10:23   #42
Sir Dosser

Quote:
Yes agreed. I wonder what they will do about it when new EU regulations come to play in 3 months time. In theory they would have to let us use the Irish data allowance in the EU with no additional charge (with - if I understand it right - an option for them to restrict that free roaming use to 20 euros worth of the EU wholesale data roaming rate every 30 days, which I think would be a bit over 2GB).
Well hopefully they don't go the same way as 3 implying that what we get for topping up is a service benefit and not part of the core service meaning they do not need to offer it abroad. To be honest when you are away you are not on your phone much but is handy for looking up places/maps. 2gb would be plenty for the vast majority.
Thanks from:
19-03-2017, 10:45   #43
Bob24

Quote:
Well hopefully they don't go the same way as 3 implying that what we get for topping up is a service benefit and not part of the core service meaning they do not need to offer it abroad. To be honest when you are away you are not on your phone much but is handy for looking up places/maps. 2gb would be plenty for the vast majority.
I think it would be harder for Vodafone than for Three to try and make that argument. The difference is that with Vodafone your 20 euros credit gets eaten up for your to activate the offer, while with Three you can keep that credit and use it for something else (so while it is very arguable Three can attempt to say your "core service" - the one you are using your credit to pay for - is not the unlimited data service).

I suspect Vodafone's wording about roaming in the T&Cs is an escape plan to disable roaming on this plan if there is an attempt by regulators to force them to provide a large part or the full Irish data allowance while elsewhere in the EU.
Thanks from:
19-03-2017, 11:01   #44
Luno

I've been tethering using this offer and have had no problems, where could they charge to anyways?
19-03-2017, 11:06   #45
Sir Dosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luno View Post
I've been tethering using this offer and have had no problems, where could they charge to anyways?
They could take it out of your credit if you have any. If your phone tethers using the hs.vodafone.com APN then they say you will get charged.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion