Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres from UK, post Brexit?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    I've lived in 4 counties in the last 15 years and never once had an issue finding a tyre fitter in each of these counties who is customer focused. In each case I did a little research / asked around and got recommendations, it wasn’t hard to find a place who would either supply and fit or fit ones I bought myself. I’ve expensive alloys and particular about them and not once did any of these lads damage them.

Again plenty of bad and good places, no need to have such a crappy attitude, plenty of folk on here work in the tyre industry (and the other industries you claim are muck) and your post is pretty insulting.

You see - I don't want to do that. I want to spent my time deciding what to buy, not to find a seller that is consumer focused. I hate having to go through local chatter:

me - "I need two tyres in 205/55/R16 size"
    fitter - "I have Continental, Hankook and Triangle"
    me - "Which Continentals are those?"
    fitter - "Good Continentals".
    me - FFS

I have never found an Irish outlet that sells All-Season tyres either. They will tell you the tyres are All-Season, but never are.

When it comes to pricing, I have made multiple attempts on three occasions to purchase the tyres locally, even for slightly higher price that I would get them online plus local fitting. No bite.
    If having to work with any Irish company / people is such an issue for, you should be aware that Ireland are exempt from working visas in the uk, why not move to your eutopia

Classic defense. Talking from experience, the majority of Irish companies are unable to accept constructive criticism and respond with 'if you don't like it here, get the hell out'. I took that advice to my heart - they won't be seeing me anytime soon.

Lads let’s stick on topic to tyres, an average household with 2 cars will likely buy tyres annually so it’s worth finding a good place. I have had zero problem in this regard (again in multiple locations and both finding a place who sells and fits and one who will fit internet tyres). if ye are unable to ask around amongst fellow car fans with similar requirements to yourselves (internet / real people etc) and find a customer focused tyre place within your area then it’s a waste of time discussing this because there are LOADS of them out there

And to address the other point about Irish tyre places giving poor service, maybe they are sick of posters like some of those above wanting to rock in with internet tyres and expecting them to be changed for €5 a corner and being insulted when they hear the real costs of doing business in Ireland (rent, rates, vat, machinery, wages etc). Typical wanting cake and eating it too

Posting blanket statements that Irish customer service is rubbish is insulting to those who work hard and there are plenty of them in here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

grogi wrote: »
    You see - I don't want to do that. I want to spent my time deciding what to buy, not to find a seller that is consumer focused. I hate having to go through local chatter:

me - "I need two tyres in 205/55/R16 size"
    fitter - "I have Continental, Hankook and Triangle"
    me - "Which Continentals are those?"
    fitter - "Good Continentals".
    me - FFS

I have never found an Irish outlet that sells All-Season tyres either. They will tell you the tyres are All-Season, but never are.

When it comes to pricing, I have made multiple attempts on three occasions to purchase the tyres locally, even for slightly higher price that I would get them online plus local fitting. No bite.

Considering the fact that most Irish buyers just get cheap ditch finders fitted why would a place stock All Seasons? I got all seasons fitted the next day after calling a local place and they weren't far off getting them from the Internet, got a €50 prepaid card so was cheaper in the end.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Considering the fact that most Irish buyers just get cheap ditch finders fitted why would a place stock All Seasons?

That's beyond the point. I don't really care why.

Local outlets is horrendous - from customer support, quality of stocked items to their pricing.

I don't really mind if I had to wait a few days for the lads to bring the tyres in. What I am bothered with is the knowledge (never know what tyres they have and don't really want to check), attitude (won't entertain ordering anything because what we have is already all season) and price (typically €40 cheaper online).

They don't want my business, I don't want to deal with them. Simple enough.
    I got all seasons fitted the next day after calling a local place and they weren't far off getting them from the Internet, got a €50 prepaid card so was cheaper in the end.

If that was an option for me, great. It simply isn't... :( I really tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Pricing 4 tyres myself at the moment, tyreleader is charging €704 for the 4 delivered and then its €20 a corner fitted when I priced off 2 of their dublin listed garages.

I've called 3 other local places for prices on same (Goodyear Eagle f1 as3) and it was 1020, 950 and 840. Id rather stick local myself but when it comes saving 100+ its hard to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

5500 wrote: »
    Pricing 4 tyres myself at the moment, tyreleader is charging €704 for the 4 delivered and then its €20 a corner fitted when I priced off 2 of their dublin listed garages.

I've called 3 other local places for prices on same (Goodyear Eagle f1 as3) and it was 1020, 950 and 840. Id rather stick local myself but when it comes saving 100+ its hard to do

So €56 cheaper online based on your best price here? For that saving I'd avoid the hassle of shipping and buy local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Am I the only one who has a mate working in a garage? I just drop into him on a Saturday and he does me a favour. And I might throw him a few bob or do him a favour back. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

I got 4 tyres from tyre leader in November, I got then fitted and tracking done for €60. that was a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Does anyone know anywhere in North kerry that will fit tyres?

Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does anyone know anywhere in North kerry that will fit tyres?

Tia

Does eiretyres list anywhere on their site?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Does eiretyres list anywhere on their site?

They do. Saw it after I posted.

Guys could I get an opinion please.
    I'm undecided between Michelin Cross climate + and bridgestone turanza t005.

Very little difference between buying online and in a b+m price is 120 v 100 per corner with michelin also giving a 20 or. 45euro rebate on 2 or 4 tyres.

Tracking included. Thanks

Guys could I get an opinion please.
    I'm undecided between Michelin Cross climate + and bridgestone turanza t005.

Very little difference between buying online and in a b+m price is 120 v 100 per corner with michelin also giving a 20 or. 45euro rebate on 2 or 4 tyres.

Tracking included. Thanks

They are like comparing apples to balls. Both are round... :P

CrossClimate+ is an all-season tyre with focus on rain condition. Very simial in its philosophy to Bridgestone Weather Control A005. Both are fantastic tyres for Irish climate when we don't get enough hot days that would justify summer rubber compound.

Bridgestone Turanza T005 is a full summer tyre.

IMHO it is worth getting the CC+, even if you see snow for two days for the year. You won't feel stranded by it in any way. You'd get much better mileage from Michelin too.

CrossClimate+ is an all-season tyre with focus on rain condition. Very simial in its philosophy to Bridgestone Weather Control A005. Both are fantastic tyres for Irish climate when we don't get enough hot days that would justify summer rubber compound.

IMHO it is worth getting the CC+, even if you see snow for two days for the year. You won't feel stranded by it in any way. You'd get much better mileage from Michelin too.

All the sites are showing the t005 as all season.

Had CC+ before. Good tyre but if the t005 is summer then it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Rang a Tyre place today, one of the biggest in Limerick, now I think my tyre size might be a bit odd (235/45/18) or else my choice in tyre is, because when i asked he said they wouldnt be very popular and would have to ring to get a price. Said he would call back in 5-10 minutes. Lo and behold I never got a call back.

Just ordered from TL - my second time from there. Went for the Faken Euroall Season tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Do these places that fit tyres bought online keep the old tyres or give them back to the punter?
    A few times over the last year or two I've had sets of 4 tyres dumped at the entrance of fields , along the hedges etc. Getting annoying now.

I doubt it'd be a garage as they'd dump 100 and not 4! Time to find out who does online ones near me.

They usually ask if you want to keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They will ask if you want to keep them or charge you to recycle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

No need to buy from UK. Use the .ie tyre sites such as tyreleader or oponeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

bazz26 wrote: »
    They will ask if you want to keep them or charge you to recycle them.

Marvellous, shouldn't be optional. e20 extra or bin them on the back road for free.

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Marvellous, shouldn't be optional. e20 extra or bin them on the back road for free.

It isn't optional. The recycling fee (~3.50) is included in the price of the tyre. Not a single time a garage charged me to dispose a tyre.

Tyre leader arrived after 7 days and happy with the tyres. Did go to Midwest tyres and they put them on for 30 but had to get two extra tyres and asked for something in the same range and they put on Goldline tyres which I've never heard of and cant find any information on them and they cost 100 each - did I get ripped off?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What size?

100 per Gold line tíre whatever it is is either super cheap or a rip off without knowing the size.

235/45/18

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Cheap Chinese tire then. Not a rip off at that size.

Was it 100 fitted per tíre?

yeah 100 per tyre for two

wonski wrote: »
    What size?

100 per Gold line tíre whatever it is is either super cheap or a rip off without knowing the size.

You didn't pay too much, so in that sense it wasn't a rip off.

What is a rip off is that for only €50 you can have fitted much better tyres, such as Hankook or Kumho. Not only the traction would be better, but they probably would last longer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've the weather control on since last year, they're great grip in all conditions from what I've seen of them. My only issue is they're a good bit noisier than my last tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭flowers345

No need to buy from UK. Use the .ie tyre sites such as tyreleader or oponeo.

tyreLeader pertains to be situated in Ireland and the tyre is stuck in France. I paid more for these tyres thinking it would be delivered within 3 days coming from Dublin. Why are the tyres stuck in a French depot for almost a week? tyreLeader did not want to pay decent courier fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement