Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres from UK, post Brexit?

Options
  • 24-12-2020 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭

Need to order some tyres from Camskill, is it safe to assume I'm going to be hit with VAT and duty from the 1st of January?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Need to order some tyres from Camskill, is it safe to assume I'm going to be hit with VAT and duty from the 1st of January?

Firstly you don't need to order them from Catskill. There are numerous tyre retailers in UE, such as oponeo, eiretyres etc.

Secondly, it is almost certain you will not be hit by extra tariffs, not if you're ordering from NI. It is almost equally certain you won't be hit if ordering from GB, but that will be revvealed coming hours or days.

It would make sense to wait two, three weeks before making an order, though. Th cumulation of Brexit and coronavirus lockdown makes any shipping completely unpredictable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have found tyreleader.ie to be the best of the continental suppliers for speed of delivery and price.
    I have numerous sets ordered from them and they have all arrived problem free.
    Plus you can buy tyre insurance for a small cost and this saved me at least €75 this year when a piece of metal destroyed one of my rear tyres that I had just bought as a set.
    I bought a new one from them while driving on a spare, waited a week and they refunded me the price less 25% excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

grogi wrote: »
    . It is almost equally certain you won't be hit if ordering from GB, but that will be revvealed coming hours or days.

That is wrong.

Tarriff free is not vat free.

There will be no import duty but goods are fully liable for vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have found tyreleader.ie to be the best of the continental suppliers for speed of delivery and price.
    I have numerous sets ordered from them and they have all arrived problem free.
    Plus you can buy tyre insurance for a small cost and this saved me at least €75 this year when a piece of metal destroyed one of my rear tyres that I had just bought as a set.
    I bought a new one from them while driving on a spare, waited a week and they refunded me the price less 25% excess.

I bought tyres for my car and my missus's car this year from them. No issues at all. The tyres are shipped from Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

+1 for tyreleader.
    90% of the time they blow all the other online suppliers out of the water on price.

The other 10% they're just only slightly cheaper :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You'd be paying vat on them regardless of brexit. Apart from a potential delay now it should be business as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    You'd be paying vat on them regardless of brexit. Apart from a potential delay now it should be business as usual

The issue is that the VAT won't have been paid within the EU, and therefore the tyres will be subject to VAT when they land here. You can try to reclaim the UK VAT or have them sold to you ex UK VAT. The times they are a changing...

Darc19 wrote: »
    That is wrong.

Tarriff free is not vat free.

There will be no import duty but goods are fully liable for vat.

It all depends on the agreement. There are no VAT charges on top of purchases in Norway or Switzerland AFAIK...

Even if there is VAT to be paid, there always were provisions for selling outside of the oseller VAT zone. The same will apply to UK businesses when exporting from UK: buyer won't pay taxes in UK, but will only pay Irish VAT.

So while technically you are hit with Irish VAT, the total sum to pay remains morrless the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Looks like a non runner from the UK, also looks like Camskill now insist that your courier collects, in other words they won't ship to Ireland.

I've used tyreleader before and they good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Beltby wrote: »
    I bought tyres for my car and my missus's car this year from them. No issues at all. The tyres are shipped from Holland.

They have multiple warehouses depending on what you order, I have had stuff come from Germany, and Netherlands and I think Luxembourg.
    As you say no issues at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Looks like a non runner from the UK, also looks like Camskill now insist that your courier collects, in other words they won't ship to Ireland.

I've used tyreleader before and they good to deal with.

They don't want to be involved in export and import declarations. Wouldnt blame them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

spuddy wrote: »
    The issue is that the VAT won't have been paid within the EU, and therefore the tyres will be subject to VAT when they land here. You can try to reclaim the UK VAT or have them sold to you ex UK VAT. The times they are a changing...

On this they won’t; a U.K. supplier to an Irish consumer was already required to apply Irish rather than U.K. VAT on goods consigned for delivery to Ireland. There will still not be U.K. VAT post Brexit (zero rates for export), the question will be whether the business does enough Irish business to register for VAT here (very likely) or leaves it to the courier to decide.

The actual problem is the additional paperwork which needs to be filed and which will result in many low value/low margin offers falling away as the Irish market is so small comparatively speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

spuddy wrote: »

U.K. exporter won’t charge U.K. VAT. So you’d be due VAT here only.

The issue might be lack of customs declaration.

If the U.K. moved away from EU tyre norms it might be an issue too, but that’s unlikely anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

grogi wrote: »
    It all depends on the agreement. There are no VAT charges on top of purchases in Norway or Switzerland AFAIK...

Even if there is VAT to be paid, there always were provisions for selling outside of the oseller VAT zone. The same will apply to UK businesses when exporting from UK: buyer won't pay taxes in UK, but will only pay Irish VAT.

So while technically you are hit with Irish VAT, the total sum to pay remains morrless the same.

If you live in Norway and purchase from Ireland, you are liable for local vat (25%) and goods have to have a customs declaration.

The Irish store could sell vat free once they keep a proper record of the transaction.

So Tyreleader are out too, no deliveries to Ireland until further notice. PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most of the online "Irish" tyre sellers actually source and stock their tyres on the Continent so I'm sure transportation is now an issue getting them here if they have to pass through the UK first. Along with extra customs checks, paperwork and time involved I'd say the cost of delivery is going to shoot up also no doubt.

If the goods are labelled for say Germany to Ireland they just pass through the U.K. without ever entering it for customs purposes. The transport companies have systems for that. It’s intra EU (basically domestic) traffic.

There are also a much increased number of direct Ireland to continental Europe sea routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd say it's more that haulers aren't able to get people to drive through the UK, especially after the Christmas fiasco, till the new customs checks have settled down. Very little going across now as a lot of UK companies stocked up before they left the customs union so it'll be a few weeks before traffic returns to normal and then we'll see what the delays are like

AutoTuning wrote: »
    If the goods are labelled for say Germany to Ireland they just pass through the U.K. without ever entering it for customs purposes. The transport companies have systems for that. It’s intra EU (basically domestic) traffic.

I read/heard someone on about that and they said do you think the English are going to wave Ireland to EU trucks through while thousands of UK to EU trucks are stuck in queues. In theory it should be simple but in practice it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

So Tyreleader are out too, no deliveries to Ireland until further notice. PITA.

Tyre leader.ie is working

I don't think so,
    Due to the COVID-19 health crisis, carriers GLS and DPD have stopped deliveries until further notice. We will send you an email as soon as GLS or DPD are able to deliver parcels again

....try and complete an order to Ireland (you don't have to go as far as actually paying for the order), and you will get the above message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I don't think so,
    Due to the COVID-19 health crisis, carriers GLS and DPD have stopped deliveries until further notice. We will send you an email as soon as GLS or DPD are able to deliver parcels again

....try and complete an order to Ireland (you don't have to go as far as Payment), and you will get the above message.

So its covid stopping it and not brexit.

I highly doubt it's Covid related.
    Both GLS and DPD are still working away (busier than ever :)). It's probably just easier for tyreleader to blame Covid rather than admit that they cannot guarantee delivery to Ireland for a while.

BTW, if you're looking for tyres, Pneus seem to be still dispatching to Ireland and are usually only slightly dearer than tyreleader.

I highly doubt it's Covid related.
    Both GLS and DPD are still working away (busier than ever :)). It's probably just easier for tyreleader to blame Covid rather than admit that they cannot guarantee delivery to Ireland for a while.

BTW, if you're looking for tyres, Pneus seem to be still dispatching to Ireland and are usually only slightly dearer than tyreleader.

No, it's covid. The gigantic backlog at Dover and Calais at the dawn of previous year. DHL nor Deutsche Post weren't accepting Ireland bound mail as well. Instead of Xmas cards this year I got photos of them.

What are you on about now ???
    DHL & Deutsche Post are pretty much the same company.
    In that capacity they deliver Post, you know Letters etc.
    Tyreleader are saying that neither GLS nor DPD are delivering due to Covid....they are delivering ( they can't deliver fast enough in fact).
    Plenty of other EU Companies are delivering to Ireland, Tyreleader would seem to route their Irish orders through the UK and that is just not feasible at present.
    Tyreleader's reluctance to dispatch orders to Ireland is not Covid related.
    It is Brexit related.

DHL & Deutsche Post are pretty much the same company.
    In that capacity they deliver Post, you know Letters etc.

I know that (DHL handles parcels, Deutche Post letters). That's why I did bring up my xmas cards - they couldn't be posted to Ireland because of COVID.
    Tyreleader are saying that neither GLS nor DPD are delivering due to Covid....they are delivering ( they can't deliver fast enough in fact).

They are delivering parcels that are in Ireland, no problem. They didn't (that has changed since over last few days) however accept parcels bound to Ireland from the continent, because of logistical nightmare at the channel caused by COVID lockdown. I also gave you an example of other carrier that had similar policy.

I think you simply overanalyze what wording 'deliver a parcel' means.
    Plenty of other EU Companies are delivering to Ireland, Tyreleader would seem to route their Irish orders through the UK and that is just not feasible at present.

Why would they go through such ordeal when companies like DPD or GLS are founded just for that - to move parcels around?

Anyway - Brexit or Covid - when one is short on rubber, it doesn't really matter why...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I've a parcel coming from Germany, hasn't moved since 30th, according to their tracker it hasn't left Germany yet although I suspect it's on a truck stuck at Calais or Dover. I guess it'll pop up one of these days.

One benefit of this shambles is it forces us to look for local options, which will benefit hard pressed businesses here.

I found the 4 tyres I need, supplied and fitted locally for €40 more than buying online and getting them fitted. No hassle with delivery, Brexit or having to cart them around. Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

One benefit of this shambles is it forces us to look for local options, which will benefit hard pressed businesses here.

I found the 4 tyres I need, supplied and fitted locally for €40 more than buying online and getting them fitted. No hassle with delivery, Brexit or having to cart them around. Happy with that.

No exactly local business has to get their stuff from the continent too. It's all slowed down..even for business.

listermint wrote: »
    No exactly local business has to get their stuff from the continent too. It's all slowed down..even for business.

A lot of that may also be COVID related - a lot of places are facing big issues. I’m seeing German stuff just not moving for days in Germany too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had a parcel from Germany with DHL sent back to the sender before it had the chance to leave the country. The reason given was Covid-19 and the delays in Dover.

Advertisement