Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres from UK, post Brexit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Isambard wrote: »
    I've a parcel coming from Germany, hasn't moved since 30th, according to their tracker it hasn't left Germany yet although I suspect it's on a truck stuck at Calais or Dover. I guess it'll pop up one of these days.

update, reached GLS UK depot last night. They will have to consider re-routing for the future I feel.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I used to order from eiretyres but for the last few years have been using McManus Tyres in Dundalk . Less hassle for me given that its not too much of a drive . May be an option for anyone not too far away from them . I find their prices very good .

https://www.mcmanustyres.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Email from Tyreleader this morning saying that DPD and GLS are delivering to Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

^^^Me too.

Just had 4 all seasons fitted at a tyre centre, fair play to them, they got the tyres same day just in time for the snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Shudders, I generally hate using local services.

So you have your own tyre fitting machine and balance?

The saga continues, I ordered 2 tyres from Oponeo, no UK Duty issues. The tyres got as far as the UK and were sent back. Got and email and apologetic phone call from the company. Impressed by that, they (and others) must be driven demented by all this.

Time to try Tyreleader again.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

Wondering where people getting their online tyres fitted, anywhere reliable around Dublin?

spuddy wrote: »
    Wondering where people getting their online tyres fitted, anywhere reliable around Dublin?

Sandyford Tyres have no issue with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

Kwickfit or whatever they are called these days have a policy against fitting tyres they do not supply.

Tyreland finglas did it for me. I phoned my local 2 places and they would not do it. I suggest phone ahead and get a price. Make sure they take old tyre. Some places claim.they can't take old tyre as they need to match the number of returns with new. Recycling centres and dumps won't take tyres, so you need a place that takes the tyres or you will find it very difficult to dispose if it.

In terms of shipping its a nightmare at the moment with an post saying 1 month for parcels is still an issue in January 2021, due to lack of flights, brexit, covid. Even an post has a shortage of vans due to vast amount of parcels. DHL road has lots of issues and they often hand over to an post for delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Rowan Tyres mobile fitting service based in Sandyford. The owner is a boardsie here, jimbis. He's fitted several sets of tyres for me.

zg3409 wrote: »
    In terms of shipping its a nightmare at the moment with an post saying 1 month for parcels is still an issue in January 2021, due to lack of flights, brexit, covid. Even an post has a shortage of vans due to vast amount of parcels.

Massive drop off in Amazon UK orders, plus Amazon now looking after their own deliveries, will hopefully give An Post some breathing space.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

Kwickfit or whatever they are called these days have a policy against fitting tyres they do not supply.

Tyreland finglas did it for me. I phoned my local 2 places and they would not do it. I suggest phone ahead and get a price. Make sure they take old tyre. Some places claim.they can't take old tyre as they need to match the number of returns with new. Recycling centres and dumps won't take tyres, so you need a place that takes the tyres or you will find it very difficult to dispose if it.

In terms of shipping its a nightmare at the moment with an post saying 1 month for parcels is still an issue in January 2021, due to lack of flights, brexit, covid. Even an post has a shortage of vans due to vast amount of parcels. DHL road has lots of issues and they often hand over to an post for delivery.

Luckily I bought them before Xmas, they're sitting in the shed right now, but at least they got here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭con747

A lot of the bigger online companies have a list of fitting partners on their websites.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Recycling centres and dumps won't take tyres

I'm in Co Kildare, AES at Silliot Hill, Kilcullen do take tyres.

https://www.aesirl.ie/civic-amenities/silliot-hill-recycling-centre-civic-amenity/

Some of their other sites do too.

Shudders, I generally hate using local services.

What a strange comment. Just like all countries / other industries there are as many great local tyre places as bad ones, do some research, no need to right them all off with that nasty attitude.

With your attitude I wonder would you be the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

how much do you guys get charged for fitting tyres?
    I bought 2 tyres before xmas and the fecker charged me 30 quid to fit the pair of them. I thought that was really steep

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Akrasia wrote: »
    I bought 2 tyres before xmas and the fecker charged me 30 quid to fit the pair of them. I thought that was really steep

Buy a fitting machine and pay rent, insurance, tax, rates wages etc and see how much it costs to run a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats pretty much standard, did that include disposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

What an absolute fecker , thats disgraceful :confused:

• Advertisement

It really isn't! Remove wheel from car, remove tyre, refit, balance, refit, dispose of old tyre. €15 a tyre is great value. €20 is average.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It really isn't! Remove wheel from car, remove tyre, refit, balance, refit, dispose of old tyre. €15 a tyre is great value. €20 is average.

And fit a new valve stem

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats pretty much standard, did that include disposal?

Didn't include disposal. I took the old tyres back myself

If it's standard that's fine, I usually don't buy tyres online, I wasn't sure if it was the usual price or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    What a strange comment. Just like all countries / other industries there are as many great local tyre places as bad ones, do some research, no need to right them all off with that nasty attitude.

With your attitude I wonder would you be the problem?
    15 euro a tyre with disposal of old ones sounds about the norm!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I see https://www.blackcircles.ie/ has suspended their service. Was very handy as the price included fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

as above ^^ most irish companies are sh1te and have no concept of customer service or satisfaction ,
    and they also have a sh1te selection

it's generally ' this is all we have , like it or lump it , or 'gimme your money , oh not happy? well f*ck off '

i would say 1 in 10 are actually any way decent .

instagram or twitter or google reviews is now a good way to put manners on them , but the ones who arent internet reputation savvy dont give a fook

the list of good / great ones i have dealt with out of about 50 last year no tyre ones im afraid ...

Mr Oil
    no bother firewood
    Daltons garage
    Fixx coffee
    Wells mills
    dermot kehoes hardware
    dpd

Mr Oil
    no bother firewood
    Daltons garage
    Fixx coffee
    Wells mills
    dermot kehoes hardware
    dpd

Lol! The above is the definition of drifting off topic.

Back on topic people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Whocare

Too cheap in my eyes disposal of old tyre €4 plus valve and balancing weights that would come to 5 euros minimum plus vat . So he fitted them for less than 10 euros hopefully you had wheels off car already otherwise he was busy fool .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Whocare wrote: »
    Too cheap in my eyes disposal of old tyre €4 plus valve and balancing weights that would come to 5 euros minimum plus vat . So he fitted them for less than 10 euros hopefully you had wheels off car already otherwise he was busy fool .

You already pay €3.44 for the disposal when you buy a tyre: The Waste Management (Tyres and Waste Tyres) Regulations 2017.

• Advertisement

My attitude :rolleyes:. I don't have to explain myself about how many times I have been let down by local companies. Don't know how you can have "attitude" when you click order on a website. Maybe I clicked the button too hard.

I am not saying all local places are bad but in my experience with dealing with Irish companies isn't great. I can probably count on one hands Irish companies that I will deal with. Far too many are either

a) Are a complete rip off
    b) Treat you like they are doing you a massive favor
    c) Have really poor after sales support

I still wonder is it your attitude. Your original post was nasty staring you generally hate using local Irish companies.

Let’s stick to the topic of getting tyres. Ive lived in 4 counties in the last 15 years and never once had an issue finding a tyre fitter in each of these counties who is customer focused. In each case I did a little research / asked around and got recommendations, it wasn’t hard to find a place who would either supply and fit or fit ones I bought myself. I’ve expensive alloys and particular about them and not once did any of these lads damage them.

Again plenty of bad and good places, no need to have such a crappy attitude, plenty of folk on here work in the tyre industry (and the other industries you claim are muck) and your post is pretty insulting.

If having to work with any Irish company / people is such an issue for, you should be aware that Ireland are exempt from working visas in the uk, why not move to your eutopia

Advertisement