Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1967 VW Variant.

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

A break of one kind or another is always welcome, and as they say a change is as good as a rest!!! Looking forward to the pics (and of the trike) but take your time!!! No panic. 😎

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Got no pics of the trike yet, but the 1600 new engine is getting delivered to me this evening, so have to rush…….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It is said that a trike cunningly combines all of the disadvantages of a car with all of the disadvantages of a motorcycle 😉 still wouldn't mind a look when you get the chance!

Scrap the cap!

I finally got to wrap and pack the phonebox onto a trailer for delivery to my uncle, at long last.

And managed to get back onto the squareback, and removed the passenger back wing, and cut off the cill. Much the same as the right hand it needs replacing, both outer, inner, and inner heater channel. Pics to follow as soon as i get the woodworking tools out of the way😀

Rusty outer cill is probably hiding a rusty inner as well along with a rusty heater channel which is normally the order of the day on these type 3's

Yep outer cill is off hiding a barely complete inner curved cill cover, which covers the round heater channel pipe, and behind that the inner heater channel. The only salvageable piece is the round pipe.

And here is an inch thick high buildup of sand from the southern beach area of Ardmore

• Advertisement

Plenty of metal to replace by the looks of it, and sand to sweep up😂

I was thinking about you just last week and that an update was about due!! 🤣 Yeah, the sills are pretty bad all right, what's the floor pan like? and the rear valances? And front pillars, near the door hinges? That was some amount of crud you knocked out of it!!

Best of Luck with it and keep the updates coming, OK? Thanks

Jim.

Front pillars are good now that i have done the front bulkheads. The c pillar at the lock edge of the door is good as well, as for the rest its similar to the drivers side that i have done, so no surprises there at all. Just need to get stuck back into it, and stop wandering off to do telephone box copies from recycled wood 🤣

No, the front valances etc would have presented greater problems, for sure! 😊

All the best!, Jim.

I took off the outer curved cill to reveal the rusted inner cill below.

Here you can see the large amount of rust in the cill area. The outer has been removed, but the inner also needs removing as its beyond saving.

In the picture above the inner cill has been tuned upwards to show the intact heater tube below which is ok except some small surface rust. The full heater section here is made up of 4 components. the outercill, the inner cill which is shown torn upwards, the tube below, and finally the inner square folded section, which will also have to come out due to the rust in the lower section. Once the floorpan is visible it can be seen that its intact and needs no edge repair

In the last picture the 2 outer cill sections are removed showing the condition of the internal section of the cill along the bottom door edge area.

• Advertisement

So today i cut out the heater channel, and made sure that i left the correct allowances for re fitting the new one i made. Its been folded as per my dimensions by the supplier, but the press brake is unable to bend close tolerences and small measurements .So the profile is identical to the drivers which is perfect. But on the passenger side it needs an additional indent along the doorway to take the wiring harness, so i will have to cut and refab this. Not to worry.

Here is the hinge pillar cut and ready for a trial fit.

And here is the rear end of the heater channel position just in front of the rear wheel.

And here is the heater channel section offered in a for a fit. A lot of work to do on this, all the fixing holes, heater pipe, heater footwell vent, and wiring harness indent along its length

The heater duct is in remarkable condition, all things considered, ditto the inner sill panel. And I guess that the floor panel all along that section is Ok too? Nice to meet some good stuff! And especially good stuff in that region. Ditto the door pillar, where you were able to leave the hinge in its original position. That will save a lot of headaches down the road! All things considered; you have gotten a lot done in this last "burst" of activity!!! Well done!!.

Keep up the good work!! Jim.

The only existing part of the left heater channel being kept, is the heater tube. The channel you see in the previous picture is the new one i had made up. Problem now is the wiring harness fits into a recess in the top of the heater channel. Like a rebate in a door. the machine for folding at the plant could not incorporate that, so i have to cut it, and weld in a an "L" shaped section to form the recess. I am off out to get going on that now.

The variant has occupied the lift for nearly two years, and i had to replace the brakes on the mrs car last week, which meant lying on the floor all week. I'm 68 and too old for that carry on. I have to organise something to get my lift back.Sharpish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MrCostington

FYI :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-classic-vehicle-parts-warehouse-clearence-/16019266

If i start stockpiling more vw stuff i may well be forced to get more vw's in order to use the parts up. I think i have enough vehicles to be working on without getting more🤣

I made a start on the tricky indent on the passenger heater channel for the wiring harness.Cut out the box corner, reverse it around to put the L shape internally, and tack it in, and then fully weld it which is where i am just near finishing now. Then grind it flush, and check for any pinholes. Then onto placing the holding bolt cleats into the bottom of the section.

Just working my way along the section. Wont be long now.

Same here..last two MB E classes that I had; I did the transmission fluid changes with the car up on stands, and lying down on my back, crawling around. Which was no bother back when I was an apprentice, many moons ago. Now after a few years back with VW, I've gone back to MB again, and am currently checking when the last transmission change was done. Hopefully, the last change was recent, and I will not have to face doing another change any time soon!

Thats a lovely bit of workmanship, Kadman very professional. Kudos and well done!!!

Jim.

Bit like showing alcohol samples to a recovering addict…….

Jim.

And just when you thought you got away from classics, life drags you back in🤣

Back on the Mercs, funny I had a near miss moment the weekend. I saw a nice TE 300 6 cylinder 3 litre on marketplace. And for a brief second I was tempted. But common sense prevailed and i came back to my senses….thankfully😂

I have enough to keep me occupied, and sane. Any more might tip me over the edge of sanity😁

• Advertisement

That Merc TE 300 6 cylinder would have been some temptation all right!! That 300 was of the best MB engines ever built. Bulletproof in fact! (a very useful extra to my mind… LOL)

I ground up the welding and happy enough with the result. Just have to drill all the fixing holes and weld in the cleats, make the inner cill cover over the heater tube, and form a 90 degree return at the end, up the door pillar channel. Not at the end of the prep list yet

Couple of pinholes but as its inside the car, i might not bother filling them. But then again my OCD says otherwise🤣

If you keep prompting me to get the merc, I will get a mod to issue a cease and desist order to you😁

You are doing fine Kadman!! very impressive, I must say!!! OCD non-withstanding, it will be well undercoated and sealed, so either choice will be OK. Keep it up!. Jim.

But on the positive side, the merc would make a change from VW's, wouldn't it? And I mean that particular merc you mentioned, now that was prime example. But pay no attention to my ramblings my friend, just continue on as you are going!!!. Jim!!

Right enough it would be driving in style for sure. I would feel like an earl and not a pauper 🤣

Advertisement