Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

They were a great car in their day, I sold two of them when I was buying and selling cars to pay my way through college. Always had a soft spot for them. That looks immaculate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Gravelly wrote: »
    They were a great car in their day, I sold two of them when I was buying and selling cars to pay my way through college. Always had a soft spot for them. That looks immaculate.

They were a sturdy enough yoke. A very useable classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

• Registered Users Posts: 35,740 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-2002/20964202

Looks solid, could be a good project car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Jesus, when did heaps like this become so valuable?
    I remember looking at a 2002 in better condition for €300 a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,942 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You should have bought it! For some reason classic BMWs have gone up in value for than most in the last 3-4 years or so. Even the E30s that could be picked up for peanuts not that long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 35,740 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

oceanman wrote: »
    lovely car but the engines in them were junk...
    Really? M30 are old design (1968), but very decent engines.

That M30 engine made BMW what it is today imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Love the colour and look of this e28....

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1058000

Seweryn wrote: »
    Really? M30 are old design (1968), but very decent engines.
    just make sure you have plenty of cylinder heads and head gaskets sets on hand..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

just make sure you have plenty of cylinder heads and head gaskets sets on hand..:)

Just done the head gasket on my M30B34 :D:D Its always the rear cylinder nearest the fire wall. Although no complaints on a 34yr old car in reality.

Head gaskets on these are the engines way of reminding you that the valves need resetting.... :D

Your going to need to go in there regardless of head gasket at some point in the engines life....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

miller_63 wrote: »
    Just done the head gasket on my M30B34 :D:D Its always the rear cylinder nearest the fire wall. Although no complaints on a 34yr old car in reality.

Head gaskets on these are the engines way of reminding you that the valves need resetting.... :D

Your going to need to go in there regardless of head gasket at some point in the engines life....:D
    Yeah... And on the other hand, which other in-line six cylinder engine is completely trouble free in this area?

Seweryn wrote: »
    Yeah... And on the other hand, which other in-line six cylinder engine is completely trouble free in this area?

The M50? :D

As long as you don't feed it dirty sulphur rich petrol of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I did mine a couple years ago. The head gasket simply gave up after 30 odd years. What a rip.

The €6k Saab Turbo is still up for sale. That's remarkable. I'd have thought it would be snapped up. Seems very reasonable for that price, iconic Saab in what seems to be super condition. That said, maybe there isn't an awful lot of affinity with Saabs in this country.

unkel wrote: »
    The €6k Saab Turbo is still up for sale. That's remarkable. I'd have thought it would be snapped up. Seems very reasonable for that price, iconic Saab in what seems to be super condition. That said, maybe there isn't an awful lot of affinity with Saabs in this country.
    I would say you hit the nail on the head there..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Seems the SAAB seller was snowed in in Italy last week and had a few calls about the car. Now back in Ireland so will be interesting to see how long it hangs around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-2002/20964202

Looks solid, could be a good project car.

Snap:
    http://www.classiccarworkshop.ie/2002.html

https://www.irishvintagescene.ie/retro-classics/

He's just had one featured in the UK press too: there are no cheap 2002Tii anymore. ..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Spotted this Bentley R in the back of Practical Classics Magazine, apparently bought by the Irish Government in 1948 for Dev. Not exactly a bargain at £10,000 given its condition, but cool history if its true.

I wonder what registration is on it, hardly still has its Dublin one?

posting images here is very tedious

• Registered Users Posts: 40,202 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Testacalda wrote: »
    Spotted this Bentley R in the back of Practical Classics Magazine, apparently bought by the Irish Government in 1948 for Dev. Not exactly a bargain at £30,000 given its condition, but cool history if its true.

I wonder what registration is on it, hardly still has its Dublin one?

posting images here is very tedious

The price shown is £10,000

The price shown is £10,000

so it does, does that make it a bargain now I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,202 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Testacalda wrote: »
    so it does, does that make it a bargain now I wonder?

It might do. really hard to tell what the condition is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Well there was also this 1947 Rolls ZJ 5000. I doubt they got a Bentley for him the year after. Either way, it didn't take long for them to put the Economic War behind them!

https://www.irishjagclub.ie/terenure-2007-gallery/2007-terenure-show-presidents-rolls-royce/

1947_Rolls-Royce_Silver_Wraith_landaulette_-_Irish_Presidential_Car.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Ha,Ha, someone trying it on. The RR ZJ5000 was, & I think it still is, the official Presidential Car. Some years ago 25/30 I saw a Merc. 220 SE. in London, ( RZD 961 )the owner was looking for big money for it, because it was Devs Car. When I told him it was not, but it was a Ministerial Car, the price changed very fast.

The Bentley would never have been a presidential car for Dev, he only became president in '59, and Sean T O' Kelly famously wanted a horse drawn carriage!

De Velara was Taoiseach around '48 wasn't he? I couldn't find any evidence or picture of him ever being in a Bentley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Dev had a Dodge..

ply_dodge.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

mattroche wrote: »
    Ha,Ha, someone trying it on. The RR ZJ5000 was, & I think it still is, the official Presidential Car.

Yeah, looks like a bit of a chancer on the Bentley. The Rolls sits in the Aras, you can see it any Saturday as part of the tour. Don't see them ever selling it on now.

Advertisement