Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Preparing for winter

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭alexf1

Lukewarm water on the windscreen and mirrors for me. Then I leave the wipers running to keep any new ice forming. Always works for me. I will leave the engine running for a few minutes on super cold days with the rear demist, aircon to windscreen and seat warmers on too. I know the advice is not to leave the engine running while you're inside the house in case the car is stolen, and the owners manual will say to start engine and drive immediately rather than leave it idling but it's not safe to drive a car that's misting up as you breath and/or has windows that aren't clear. Just wait at the hall door watching the car. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Turn on the ignition, turn on the front and rear window heaters. After 30 sec, the rear window can be scraped, and by the time I've that done, the front window is ready for scraping. I'd never use water, just an ice scraper. Low tech, but guaranteed to work and no risk of cracking a windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mark085

Skatedude wrote: »
    I had a remote start fitted, so when bedside alarm goes off, hit the fob key to start the car and got back to sleep for a few minutes. Cars nicely warm and defrosted when I leave the house.

I've seen many car windscreens cracked even by lukewarm water in work due to the early shift changes.

How much did that set you back?
    I wouldn't mind one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mark085 wrote: »
    How much did that set you back?
    I wouldn't mind one
    There are a few third party alarm installs that include that as an option. Very popular in the US, less so in our neck of the woods, because the US drive mostly autos so it's a little easier to set up compared to a manual gearbox for obvious reasons. Car left in gear previous night. Hit remote start, well hello car, what are you doing in my front room. There are ways around that of course and it does allow you to heat up your car and not have it nicked by scum(doors remain locked for a start). I had been tempted by the system in the past as my alarm has a module for the option, but thought against it.

I don't like leaving an injection engine running because the ECU will dump more fuel in to keep it running and this dilutes the oil keeping the pistons away from the cylinders. Wear is bad. So once I clear the windows, I start up, whack on the air con, freeze like an ice pop until my fingers go a funny shade of blue and drive off. In the old days of carbs the oil dilution was still in play, but a cold engine on carbs was more likely to stall on you even with full choke, so five minutes idling was probably worth the risk. Driving raises the temps faster than idling so the oil dilution factor is much reduced, doubly so in turbo cars which heat up even faster. Different engines heat at different rates I've found. Some are more cold running than others. The turbo cars I've had heated up the fastest.

The worst for it in my driving career was the car I learned to drive on, a Ford Capri. If your cold morning journey was half an hour, the first 20 minutes were like this;

frozen-man.jpg

Vainly checking the fan every five minutes. While the last 10 minutes when it finally(and near instantly when the thermostat opened) heated up were like this;

C0H-JQEWIAAj1UT.jpg

I suffered from freeze thaw action for many a year. :D

And I have heard of one definite hot water on windscreen crack happening. Was with an owner I knew of the same type of jalopy as me(Honda Integra). My Da™ used to throw boiling water on windscreens as a regular thing with no issue. As I suspect did many Ma's and Da's back in the day. I think that may be down to old cars having non bonded in glass. They were held in by rubber seals, so the glass had more room to expand with the temp changes. Bonded glass which is in damn near every car since the mid 90's is held in very tightly and there's little to no expansion room. Which can equal a dirty great crack.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Wibbs wrote: »
    So once I clear the windows, I start up, whack on the air con, freeze like an ice pop until my fingers go a funny shade of blue and drive off.

Why in the cold setting instead of hot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭alexf1

yannakis wrote: »
    Why in the cold setting instead of hot?

I'm sure it's not in the cold setting. Something my wife has trouble with understanding too.. It doesn't matter if you turn the dial to the hottest setting, unless the engine coolant is hot all you get inside the car is cold air! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah pretty much. Running the air con removes moisture from the air inside the car so clears the glass much more quickly. When the heat does come on as the engine gets hot the air is warm inside the car regardless of the air con. Running the air con in winter from time to time also helps keep your system in good shape.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

alexf1 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's not in the cold setting. Something my wife has trouble with understanding too.. It doesn't matter if you turn the dial to the hottest setting, unless the engine coolant is hot all you get inside the car is cold air! :p

Not all cars are like that, I have an 08 Accord 2.2 and the aircon works in reverse as a heatpump ,its not perfect but a lot better than no heat at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Or go for parking heater. Eberspacher or Webasto, to name a few. Ms jou's Touran was factory fitted with one, but not exactly parking heater it was - they call it auxiliary heater. Awesome thing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Fire it up
    Turn the heated 'evewrything' on. AC to full belt. Heat to full belt Doors closed. Scrape the white ****e off the windscreen and front windows.

Drive off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I always use ice scraper to clear the windows of ice/frost and sometime a small brush to clear snow, then start the engine and drive off.
    Always worked for me so far.

Never tried using water - cold, hot, or lukewarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Glad I bought some de-icer a while back as I had to use it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Got a Trigger spray bottle of "Prestone" brand deicer in December and it seems to be very good stuff. It's in a yellow bottle. I've had a few brands before that weren't as effective.

Just in case anyone is looking for a recommendation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, you have to make sure to service you Schneefräse

439377.jpg

Then clear your drive:

439388.jpg

Then you"ll have to look for your igloo, I mean car:

439374.jpg

439375.jpg

The above is when your car is pretty much daily used.
    This guy didn't drive his car in 2 weeks:

439379.jpg

Think you'll get that going with your kettle?

Advertisement