Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Preparing for winter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

don't ever do that, you risk cracking your windscreen. (or at least make sure you've a spare windscreen handy :P)

Ice scrappers are €2-3 quid in supermarkets these days, much better.

i always do that,as do my neighbours,nearly 20 years doing it and have never had an issue.... tbh the thought never entered my mnd

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Clear answer if one is to be had please:p, what are the best tyres for a small car(micra) in the ice?
    Im driving to college and I start off on very bad b-roads, then secondary, then onto national and finish off with a motorway, the latter are fine as the volume means better conditions, whats arse clenching is the b-roads and secondaries, don't seem to get any grit round here and by funk it was scary last year.
    Any good suggestions for proper tyresor hints for driving down slippery hills on convex roads??
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Clear answer if one is to be had please:p, what are the best tyres for a small car(micra) in the ice?
    Im driving to college and I start off on very bad b-roads, then secondary, then onto national and finish off with a motorway, the latter are fine as the volume means better conditions, whats arse clenching is the b-roads and secondaries, don't seem to get any grit round here and by funk it was scary last year.
    Any good suggestions for proper tyresor hints for driving down slippery hills on convex roads??
    TIA

If you search EireTyres or Camskill they sell winter tyres.

If possible use a different route that while longer is on better and hopefully gritted roads. The safest way is to avoid the hill if at all possible or use chains

If you have to go down a hill do it in a low gear, 1st or 2nd depending steepness and curves, and make sure you're not following another car or one isn't coming up the hill. Use the engine for braking, don't touch any pedals or make sharp turns. If going up a hill make sure the car ahead gets up before you try:D

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Thanks, ive got my head screwed on alright with low gears, no pedal presses etc. No other route to take so it has to be done!

The car is a 97 micra like so i dont mind if it does tip a ditch, won't be doing enough speed to do any damage anyway, just don't want to hit someone else or get stuck in a drain!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you can, go out when it gets frosty and practice hill starts in a safe location.
    So you won't get surprised when you'll have to do it for real.

• Advertisement

Might as well give this a bump.
    This is a good time to get that oil changed and fluids checked out (don't forget to put antifreeze in the coolant).
    Will you be needing new wiper blades?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Why would you be getting the oil changed for winter? Our winters are not extreme. Certainly if an oil change is due, them get it changed. If not due, I cant see a reason for a pre winter change.

In terms of checking fluids, this should be done weekly not just before winter.
    Get your coolant check for antifreeze % and check all your LIGHTS!!
    Wiper blades need changing when the make noise or they are not clearing the screen fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

<snip>

okane1 wrote: »
    Why would you be getting the oil changed for winter? Our winters are not extreme. Certainly if an oil change is due, them get it changed. If not due, I cant see a reason for a pre winter change.
    True, I just change my own oil before winter each year while I do everything else to make sure car will survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

No harm to check the condition of your battery. You use more juice over these months, heaters, lights, etc.
    Maybe put a few hi-vis jackets & torch into your boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,028 ✭✭✭✭Esel

okane1 wrote: »
    No harm to check the condition of your battery. You use more juice over these months, heaters, lights, etc.
    Maybe put a few hi-vis jackets & torch into your boot.
    Afaik, in some European countries, you must keep the hi-viz lackets/waistcoats in the passenger compartment. Makes sense too.

Not your ornery onager

Brace_Yourselves_X_is_Coming.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

If it's anything like last year, I may have to up the air con by 1° to 19° if I have any chance of surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

winter in ireland? is there any difference to the majority of the other months?

Actually, this winter is apparently going to be a lot colder than normal tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Irish prepare for winter:

- Make sure only one headlight is working
    - Ensure tyres are 8 years old and bald as a coot
    - Don't replace your wipers are they were "only done 3 years ago".
    - Keep your registration destroyed with mud
    - Drive along, peering through a golfball-sized clearing in your snow/ice covered windscreen
    - No need for lights as it's not "completely dark yet".
    - Spend 15 minutes of your 15 minute journey frantically wiping the windows with cloth as clean as a bears arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

M + S rated tyres with 7mm of tread left on them , heated washer jets + insulated screenwash bottle + good alcohol based mix , high vis jacket, 4wd, first aid kit , triangle, spare bulbs and spare fuses, Extra driving lights, Headlight washers - thats my winter kit , I just hope it wont be as bad as last year

Whereabouts above the arctic circle are you?

edit;
    Dammit, 5 year old post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

I won't get winter tyres because every time I do it doesn't snow.

I bet it will snow this year now that I'm on summer tyres :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

5W30 wrote: »
    I won't get winter tyres because every time I do it doesn't snow.

I bet it will snow this year now that I'm on summer tyres :pac:

You're safe. I got chains a few years ago after the second hard winter to be ready for next time. I'm also responsible for the years if rain after 06 when I bought a hammock and a barbecue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Irish prepare for winter:

- Make sure only one headlight is working
    - Ensure tyres are 8 years old and bald as a coot
    - Don't replace your wipers are they were "only done 3 years ago".
    - Keep your registration destroyed with mud
    - Drive along, peering through a golfball-sized clearing in your snow/ice covered windscreen
    - No need for lights as it's not "completely dark yet".
    - Spend 15 minutes of your 15 minute journey frantically wiping the windows with cloth as clean as a bears arse.
    -My car has new fangled day running lights. I dont need to switch on any lights in the pitch dark ,morning/evening

Just thought I would update this for the DRL brigade!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Just need to put the deicer in the boot.
    I used to have a bottle of comma stuff with a pistol pump spray. It was useless.
    The aerosol can variety actually works.

I have a folding snow shovel but that probably won't be going in. I bought that when I lived in Donegal. You might need it there though.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Not my favourite thing to waste petrol on idle for a Prius to warm up the cabin and subsequently the windows. For the frost, I am hesitating to use warm water or de-icing sprays in case they damage plastics/paint.

So I tried scraping off the windshield when it gets frosty, or (if I remember) covering it with a protective cover during the night. Both of these options do what they're supposed to do, but when I head off, windows and windshield "fog" up from the outside again until they get warmer. Visibility is limited meanwhile, so sometimes I have to drive like a looney with the windows down to see my mirrors.

How do you deal with frosty mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Start engine and turn on windscreen heat. When it showing signs of starting to defrost, poor lukewarm water on the window.
    Change your cabin filter. Give the inside of the windscreen a good clean. CarPro Fog Fight will help against it fogging up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I know that pouring Boiling hot water over the windscreen of a severely frozen Lada on the outskirts of Siberia can be dangerous as theres a risk of shatter due to the great temperature differences but a bit of lukewarm water over a lightly frosted windscreen in Ireland works perfectly.... I dont see how it could cause any damage to "paint or plastics" or to anything else really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Curran wrote: »
    Start engine and turn on windscreen heat. When it showing signs of starting to defrost, poor lukewarm water on the window.
    Change your cabin filter. Give the inside of the windscreen a good clean. CarPro Fog Fight will help against it fogging up too.

Thanks @Curran but the inside fog isn't a big problem, A/C takes care of that in seconds. My biggest issue is that as soon as I start driving, the outside (of the windshield especially) gets misty again and wipers don't clear that "mist" off the glass until it's warmed up.

ION08 wrote: »
    I know that pouring Boiling hot water over the windscreen of a severely frozen Lada on the outskirts of Siberia can be dangerous as theres a risk of shatter due to the great temperature differences but a bit of lukewarm water over a lightly frosted windscreen in Ireland works perfectly.... I dont see how it could cause any damage to "paint or plastics" or to anything else really

I know more than one person who has had their windscreen crack from doing it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I had a remote start fitted, so when bedside alarm goes off, hit the fob key to start the car and got back to sleep for a few minutes. Cars nicely warm and defrosted when I leave the house.

I've seen many car windscreens cracked even by lukewarm water in work due to the early shift changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

I know more than one person who has had their windscreen crack from doing it in Ireland.

Boiling water will crack any windscreen. You just need the water at a temperature that is greater than the ice. Basically lukewarm water will do the job.

Also, to warm the car up i use my spare key to start the car and then use the main key to lock it. So car is running but its locked with alarm on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

with lukewarm water??? .. I doubt it ... probably threw a kettle full of Boiling water over windscreen :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Doesn't even need to be lukewarm. If you scrape first, cold water will remove the remaining ice.

Advertisement