Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Dull, architecturally uninteresting, people live in each others pockets, functioning community, adequate public services/resources and easily commutable to West Dublin. It is the best or rather least worst town in the midlands when all things are considered. It isn't a dormer town. Not a ringing endorsement and I wouldn't consider it if one didn't already have connections to the town.

What other towns of similar size and house price point would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

Dull, architecturally uninteresting, people live in each others pockets, functioning community, adequate public services/resources and easily commutable to West Dublin. It is the best or rather least worst town in the midlands when all things are considered. It isn't a dormer town. Not a ringing endorsement and I wouldn't consider it if one didn't already have connections to the town.

well good to know! Thanks for that!

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think Tullamore is nice enough to live in. Shopping wouldn't be that great in my opinion but half of the brands I buy aren't available in Ireland anyway. There is nice farmer's market. I'm not crazy about food offerings in town, there are two good non ethic restaurants in my opinion (Blue Apron and Captain House), some decent Indian restaurants and the rest is edible. I think it's a good town to live in if you drive, it's easy enough to get around country and there is a bit of life in town. Hopefully working from home will help with making town more vibrant.

As for living in each other's pockets, I think that can happen but only if you want it to. We have no issues keeping to ourselves.

farmers market is a big plus!

Yep pretty good I would say, train station with good connectivity, shopping is OK, pubs and restaurants are good (when open).

No real major crime to speak of (except the odd bit of trouble)

Plenty of sports clubs and gyms.

Canal greenways, easily the nicest nice town park in the midlands

Any other questions please ask away

great - that sounds very positive.

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    farmers market is a big plus!

There is a stall there that sells amazing sour dough bread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    great - that sounds very positive.

Tullamore has pretty much everything you need, Shopping, Services and an excellent public Park. I wouldn't say it's the culinary capital of Ireland. Commute to Dublin a bit of a pain by car but bearable, there's also a central rail station. As for its surrounds, I'm in clonaslee, about 19km from Tullamore so it's not too far to the Slieve Bloom mountains were you'll find scenery and amenities that are hard to beat. I moved here from Dublin, 20 years ago when the commute was horrendous.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There is a stall there that sells amazing sour dough bread
    + plus one for that bread

And I get some very good free range chickens, beef and pork there. Some nice veg too.

What other towns of similar size and house price point would you recommend?
    I can recommend none in the midlands which are in commutable distance of West Dublin. Tullamore is least worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I thought you ment nationally. Anyway as far as I'm aware no cases in school ours go to.

Well to be honest, i did presume most schools would have had cases seen as the two local schools ( country schools) have both had cases. Be interesting to see what happens when they open the secondary schools

Our kids school are sending home books for fears of the school not reopening after the Easter holidays. Is this happening with all the schools in Tullamore?

• Advertisement

Eddie B wrote: »
    Our kids school are sending home books for fears of the school not reopening after the Easter holidays. Is this happening with all the schools in Tullamore?

Ours got some just in case. I don't think it's likely they would close schools again especially in parts of the country with significantly lower numbers. Offaly might have more classes out due to high numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Hi guys

There is a job going in Tullamore.

TD Cellular are currently seeking an efficient, friendly Receptionist / Administrative Assistant for the key role of managing reception and provide on-going support to all parts of the business.

Main duty:

* Ensure the front desk welcomes our clients positively and executes all administrative tasks to the highest quality standards.

Other duties to include:

* Engaging with customers via telephone/email.
    * Organising outgoing deliveries, and parcels.
    * Processing invoices, and other ad hoc duties.

The ideal candidate will have outgoing personality, excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Flexible, friendly and professional work attitude. Computer literate. People skills. Applicant must have a good command of the English language. Accounts experience an advantage.

If you are a motivated & driven individual with a minimum of 2 years' experience in Reception/ Administration this could be your next role. This is a permanent, full time role.

Please apply at https://offalyjobs.ie/job/14136861/receptionist-administrator

Lads, where would I get 1 inch weldmesh in Tullamore? The solid stuff

Tullamore Steel (Bramwell Steel I think they are called now).

Tullamore Steel (Bramwell Steel I think they are called now).

Cheers! Whereabouts are they located?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

For a bird run Eddie? I got some fairly good stuff from my uncle for my own pen. I'll find out where he got it.

For a bird run Eddie? I got some fairly good stuff from my uncle for my own pen. I'll find out where he got it.

I want some for making some mink traps. Yea please find out for me thanks

Cappincur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Tender notice out for controlled demolition of the Tullamore mast today.

https://irl.eu-supply....mp;b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

From the Radio forum.

I'm pretty fond of that on the skyline. Would be great to see a petition to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭shanemib

Any games of astro/5 a side back on in town or anywhere local?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

When is something going to be done in Tullamore for a proper bus stop? The current situation with the bus stopping outside the Centra stop is just dangerous. A man nearly got ran over by a reversing car yesterday while waiting for the bus and I am sure he was not the only man or Woman to have that happen to them. If that was a child it could have been worse. It is only a matter of time that someone will get badly injured or killed there if this is not sorted not just for the bus going out but also for the bus dropping people off. There needs to be a proper spot marked with bus only on it on each side of them two roads there. Edenderry even has this for the buses so why not Tullamore?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Tender notice out for controlled demolition of the Tullamore mast today.

https://irl.eu-supply....mp;b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

From the Radio forum.

I'm pretty fond of that on the skyline. Would be great to see a petition to keep it.
    Sadly unlike the Moydrum site, Tullamore doesn't have the "historic" thing going for it yet. If it was 50 years time, it would probably be an national monument

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

AMKC wrote: »
    When is something going to be done in Tullamore for a proper bus stop? The current situation with the bus stopping outside the Centra stop is just dangerous. A man nearly got ran over by a reversing car yesterday while waiting for the bus and I am sure he was not the only man or Woman to have that happen to them. If that was a child it could have been worse. It is only a matter of time that someone will get badly injured or killed there if this is not sorted not just for the bus going out but also for the bus dropping people off. There needs to be a proper spot marked with bus only on it on each side of them two roads there. Edenderry even has this for the buses so why not Tullamore?

any update on this? I heard the NTA/Council were in discussions but it seems goahead(the operator now) have to be instructed to use the official bus stop. until then they can still stop at Centra..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What is it about this premises, I've lost count of the amount of times its opened, closed, sold, renamed, closed and now for sale again. I tried it once before it was called William Street, it was truely awful. This has to be one of the most jinxed building in offaly.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

yea it’s has its fair share of lives over the years. I remember it first as Pats Bar. They had a fish tank in the wall in the lounge before they extended the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No idea at all. Hopefully something will be done as it is currently very dangerous.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Lads, any news on the old Texas building? I've heard it is opening shortly. Go cart racing, and roller skating being mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

That’s the Texas building in Athlone I think. The Tullamore one lingers on for a while longer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Nice to see Tullamore listed in this weekend's Irish Times 20 best places to live in Ireland feature..

Population 14,607

Average house price €210,375

Nominated by Roger Guiney

Total nominations 7

What the pitch says “This is Ireland’s Friendliest Town, declared the Entente Florale delegation in 2016. We’ve known it for years but keep it quiet. We tick all the boxes; great schools, library, parks and playgrounds; best of sports facilities and leisure centres, nationally ranked athletics facilities, golf courses and stadiums; Gothic castles, monastic abbeys, ancient oaks, bluebell forests and greenways. We’re near everything and connected to everyone.”

What The Irish Times says “The town has everything one might want in terms of services and it is an excellent location for someone who needs to travel across the country for work. It lacks no amenity or facility and ticks all the boxes as a great place to live.”

• Advertisement

Shane Lowry partnership to transform former tourist attraction in Tullamore into bar and restaurant - Offaly Express

Great to see that the building will be used, should be a fine addition to the entertainment and night life for the town

Advertisement