Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instant access to 5000 newspapers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Not working for me today.
    Is the 9xxx number for the Dub library?

I think the 9xxx number is only working for the old version of PressReader website, called PressDisplay. You’ll find a link to it in the very first post of this thread.

Can’t say with absolute certainty, but the 9xxx number didn’t ever work for me on any of the PressReader branded stuff whether app or website, because the login for libraries seems to also need a pin there.

It started working fine for me again today using my own library card number and PIN. Just returned by itself. I didn’t do anything in the past week to revive it, as my card had been used recently at bricks and mortar library, and all other online library services had been working okay apart from PressReader.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Hi
    Is anyone else having issues with the PressReader app recently? I can’t download Irish Indo or any of the Sunday papers this morning.. keeps asking me to upgrade to premium. Currently using my Irish library (dun laoighre) account.. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cork City & County Libraries added to this in the past week or so (or at least that's when it was announced). Might be useful in the current period...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭glanman

dulpit wrote: »
    Cork City & County Libraries added to this in the past week or so (or at least that's when it was announced). Might be useful in the current period...

have you a link for it, can't find anything on my account when I login

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

emclau wrote: »
    Hi
    Is anyone else having issues with the PressReader app recently? I can’t download Irish Indo or any of the Sunday papers this morning.. keeps asking me to upgrade to premium. Currently using my Irish library (dun laoighre) account.. thanks!

Just checked it now (also DunL) and it seems fine - you do need to re-register every 30 days - could that be the problem ?

• Advertisement

Cameraman wrote: »
    Just checked it now (also DunL) and it seems fine - you do need to re-register every 30 days - could that be the problem ?

Got it sorted thanks- something to do with logging in by email / library id at the same time..

Excellent app - brilliant now the indo has gone behind a paywall..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Trying this now with my card from Mayo County Library. That is one of the libraries on the dropdown, but I get Unknown Error. Tried it both with mobile app and on desktop. No joy with either.

glanman wrote: »
    have you a link for it, can't find anything on my account when I login

Details here:
    http://www.corkcitylibraries.ie/en/online/explore-online/explore-online.html

Basically, download pressreader and sign up, use your library card number when prompted.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Details here:
    http://www.corkcitylibraries.ie/en/online/explore-online/explore-online.html

Basically, download pressreader and sign up, use your library card number when prompted.

Not sure am I doing something stupid here but trying to login to pressreader with a Cork City library card and failing :)

I get to enter my library card number which is accepted, then I get to a "New User" signin but I'm not sure what the password is supposed to be ? No matter what I enter I get "invalid password", I dont have an existing pressreader account and the password I have works on the library site.

Any ideas ?

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Not sure am I doing something stupid here but trying to login to pressreader with a Cork City library card and failing :)

I get to enter my library card number which is accepted, then I get to a "New User" signin but I'm not sure what the password is supposed to be ? No matter what I enter I get "invalid password", I dont have an existing pressreader account and the password I have works on the library site.

Any ideas ?

You need to create a new account with pressreader. Your Library Card number is essentially a coupon code for pressreader then to cover you for 30 days (but you can enter it every 30 days, no issues)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

You need to create a new account with pressreader. Your Library Card number is essentially a coupon code for pressreader then to cover you for 30 days (but you can enter it every 30 days, no issues)

Thank you, I'm in ! I'm going to blame it as a poor design rather than me being stupid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyone else finding no content in the app when you do log in?
    I'm just getting a spinning wheel on every section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Anyone else finding no content in the app when you do log in?
    I'm just getting a spinning wheel on every section.
    I had to log out and in again and all seems ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've my parents using this and they are cocooned. They have an issue with pressreader app. Lots of text is highlighted in yellow. Any help much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Finally got in using a random 8 digit number starting with 3. But can only seem to look at the front page of each paper. Is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Finally got in using a random 8 digit number starting with 3. But can only seem to look at the front page of each paper. Is it just me?

I'm finding the same. Logged in but once you click on a page other than page 1 it reloads to the home page of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Working fine for me today with random 8 digits beginning with 9. I find it usually rejects my first attempt but when I retry its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've never had a problem with it, just go to the original link in the first post, and use a 9 with 7 zero's to log in.

Has to be the best bargain alert ever, thanks again OP.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You don't need random numbers anymore. You can get your own library card number and pin online since the Corona virus outbreak lockdown. It's much less hassle and it'll work every month.

https://www.librariesireland.ie/news/online-services-during-coronavirus

I can't seem to get further than the front page of any paper. Am i doing something wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

When you click on the front page, the other pages should follow to the right, so just the right arrow to go to next page(s).

okidoki987 wrote: »
    When you click on the front page, the other pages should follow to the right, so just the right arrow to go to next page(s).

Nah. For some reason it just returns to the main page. I must be doing something wrong

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Whimsical, that was the problem a while back, though - people's card numbers stopped working on that site, hence the workaround.

All about the mane, can you attach a screenshot, please?

New Home wrote: »
    Whimsical, that was the problem a while back, though - people's card numbers stopped working on that site, hence the workaround.

All about the mane, can you attach a screenshot, please?

Don’t think a screen shot really explains it. I get into a paper but when I try to go on to the second page it just takes me back to the home page.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It was more to see what was on the background of the paper, but no worries. Have you tried with other newspapers/countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Seems that the Irish Independent is no longer available in the Irish version of the library app. However, it is available if you use a VPN from any other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

JTMan wrote: »
    Seems that the Irish Independent is no longer available in the Irish version of the library app. However, it is available if you use a VPN from any other country.

well that's ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

It must be all papers under the independent. My local one has gone was there on Tuesday. They also launch there own “e-paper” so I assume the independent is the same

• Advertisement

Balls to that.... They’ve really changed their business model since they were bought over.. trying to get every penny they can..

Advertisement