Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philips Hue FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭jones

Cheers i do not know where i got the 50 bulbs from should be able to add another room so haha

ps are the newer bluetooth versions the same size as the regular GU10 white ambiance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jones wrote: »
    Cheers i do not know where i got the 50 bulbs from should be able to add another room so haha

50 bulbs max is the official recommendation. But you will only get in real trouble, when you hit 63.
    jones wrote: »
    ps are the newer bluetooth versions the same size as the regular GU10 white ambiance?

i don't have any white ambiance ones. But the 4th generation GU10 color ones are a bit slimmer than the older ones. At least compared to gen2 and gen1.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Hi guys,

I have 2 separate lightstrips and a bulb in my living room, so 3 lights. Am trying to connect them to a dimmer switch, with the idea being that 1st click turns on all 3, 2nd just 1, 3rd a different light, etc. However I can't figure out a way to do this, does anybody have any suggestions?

I have added then as 3 separate lights in the summer switch accessory set up but it seems to only recognise all 3 as 1 combination and no option to operate them individually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Hi guys,

I have 2 separate lightstrips and a bulb in my living room, so 3 lights. Am trying to connect them to a dimmer switch, with the idea being that 1st click turns on all 3, 2nd just 1, 3rd a different light, etc. However I can't figure out a way to do this, does anybody have any suggestions?

I have added then as 3 separate lights in the summer switch accessory set up but it seems to only recognise all 3 as 1 combination and no option to operate them individually.

Add then all to a room or zone. Create scenes with each setting you want.

So scene one is all three on.
    Second scene is only one on.
    Third scene is a different one on.
    You can then assign the dimmer to bthe room or zone and set the scene to the button push you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Just set this up, perfect. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Question for the peeps with large Hue systems
    Was about to order a two pack of Hue ambiance GU10s then noticed beside it the INNR ambiance GU10s for half the price. The technical info seems identical.
    Would it be messing up the Hue system to start sticking in non oem bulbs?
    I will use routines on all my bulbs and motion sensors in time so dont want to be making lighting system unstable or messy, with multiple apps or conflicts of software updates. Should one solely stick to Philips to avoid any issues? If its the sake of a few quid I would rather stability over a few euro saved. Last thing I want is to be having to mess with apps and then uninstall apps and have a farce or routines that work some times then dont. I just want it to work with no issues. Anytime I see cheap stuff i think..... whats the catch
    I guess im asking are cheaper Hue compatible bulbs a false economy?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innr-Ambiance-Compatible-Required-Dimmable/dp/B0848YGD4B/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=3H1J3TXXBJTWS&dchild=1&keywords=hue+ambiance+gu10&qid=1598879048&sprefix=hue+ambiance+%2Caps%2C264&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHN0hOOUtFWkNHQlUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3MzExMzIyOUpLS0c1TVhYSDMyJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MTI2NzAyVDRaOUgxTzJKUTNRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

I’ve a couple of innr bulbs, have them outside under facade ,I’m glad they are outside because mine have a very slight buzzing noise ,I’ve read elsewhere that other people had same issue ,I’d stick to the Philips bulbs if inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’ve only ever used Philips Hue bulbs, have about 48 active installed ones and about 10 spares used for various occasions.
    Hue have never let me down and I’ve read a lot here about folks having various issues with non hue in a Hue system, but that’s not to say non hue will not work, I’m sure there are also folk with non hue bulbs that work just fine.

If you take your time and pick them up in deals, you can fill the house at the right price.

Yeah ill leave it, dont want any variables when it comes to light system. I think the old adage "buy cheap, buy twice" comes to mind.

Maybe a silly question but...why doesnt philips have any official special effects on the app or on a seperate app? Is there a reason they leave it too third party software like "mediavibe"? I notice a lot of the apps have patchy feedback. Would it not make sense for Philips themselves to have an official halloween app and christmas app etc instead of these third party offerings? Im sure the Philips R & D could have an app and light effects programmed and app running in no time at all.
    Only reason I can think possibly the light shows might prematurely wear out the leds due to the strobing and constant light level changes and cause them warranty issues? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Question for the peeps with large Hue systems
    Was about to order a two pack of Hue ambiance GU10s then noticed beside it the INNR ambiance GU10s for half the price. The technical info seems identical.
    Would it be messing up the Hue system to start sticking in non oem bulbs?
    I will use routines on all my bulbs and motion sensors in time so dont want to be making lighting system unstable or messy, with multiple apps or conflicts of software updates. Should one solely stick to Philips to avoid any issues? If its the sake of a few quid I would rather stability over a few euro saved. Last thing I want is to be having to mess with apps and then uninstall apps and have a farce or routines that work some times then dont. I just want it to work with no issues. Anytime I see cheap stuff i think..... whats the catch
    I guess im asking are cheaper Hue compatible bulbs a false economy?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innr-Ambiance-Compatible-Required-Dimmable/dp/B0848YGD4B/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=3H1J3TXXBJTWS&dchild=1&keywords=hue+ambiance+gu10&qid=1598879048&sprefix=hue+ambiance+%2Caps%2C264&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHN0hOOUtFWkNHQlUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3MzExMzIyOUpLS0c1TVhYSDMyJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MTI2NzAyVDRaOUgxTzJKUTNRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I use IKEA GU10s in my landing with no issues but your mileage may vary. I have a mix of innr B22 bulbs and garden spotlights, Philips light strips, E27 and GU10s and IKEA GU10s and never have a problem with any of them. Initial installation of the IKEA bulbs can be a bit of an endeavour but they work grand when up and running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yeah, that’s a fairly decent price per bulb with a hub thrown in...

Got these(GU10) and they are 250 lumen then bought one more but did not check and this was 350 Lumen and different size DOH!!! Mate is a spark and pointed this out and what I might see in regards to second delay coming on and shade of white

Anywho deal with that later

The Hue app can only find the 350 lumen and not the others. Is the only other way of trying to find them putting in a serial number? They where a B to get it as held in with clip and fittings (not put in by us but by previous owners) not the 'correct' size but they do

I don't want to take them out again and get the serial numbers or is this the only way of Hub app finding them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

See they’re launching a new gradient light strip (among other things). https://www.facebook.com/309473069184584/posts/2272247379573800/?vh=e&extid=zTSYjU8LM23v8POU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭irelandrover

OU812 wrote: »
    See they’re launching a new gradient light strip (among other things). https://www.facebook.com/309473069184584/posts/2272247379573800/?vh=e&extid=zTSYjU8LM23v8POU

For now the gradient lighting only works with entertainment areas. So you can't utilize it in a scene.

A little interesting tit bit of information I noticed re hue color and running costs.
    I have a power meter plug and when the hue bulbs runs on white it takes in the full 8.5 watts, but if you run the color over to a soft glow even on the same brightness setting the power factor drops down to between 2 and 3 watts. Handy if you are using them in a nightlight setting like a hallway. So you can cut your energy costs substantially with the color adjustment. I assume there are way more white leds / more powerful white ones on the circuit board.
    I have the bulbs now set to a nice golden color for my night lights so they are only using 2.9 watts per bulb. Still give off great light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Stupid question time, what is the difference between these Philips Hue bulbs (except the 10 Euro in price :pac:)

Philips Hue E27 White Ambience Single Lamp - White | 929002216901
    Philips Hue E27 White Single Lamp - White

Thanks!

• Advertisement

White are just that...... white (a warm white actually)
    White Ambiance do all whites, so warm whites to colder blueish whites and everything in-between.

See the colour scale on the box...

White Only;
    527013.png

White Ambiance;
    527014.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Cheers Andy, would never have seen that!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Hi, can someone tell me from the pics if this pack includes the V1 or V2 bridge and also if possible what version of GU 10 this would contain. Seems like an OK price ? Just copped the V1 bridge is round so just wondering about the GU 10 version now

https://www.johnlewis.com/philips-hue-white-and-colour-ambiance-wireless-lighting-led-starter-kit-with-3-gu10-bulbs-with-bluetooth-bridge/p4841546?sku=238458351&s_afcid=af_137991&tmad=c&awc=1203_1600952998_6e2df8acab3aa2f3cbe77abda2ecb95e&tmcampid=48

Also this seems like a good price for a bridge albeit a French one. Can I just swap the plug and use here ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016151IPI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

The John Lewis set is teh most recent version of teh bridge, as well as the GU10 colour bulbs.

The Bridge usually has an EU & UK adaptor with it, which can easily be switched on the plug depending on where you are.

The John Lewis set is teh most recent version of teh bridge, as well as the GU10 colour bulbs.

The Bridge usually has an EU & UK adaptor with it, which can easily be switched on the plug depending on where you are.

Ta, just ordered the kit from John Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Bought the below GU10 from Ali express 3 weeks ago, delivered yesterday.

I have hue all over my house but decided to try these out as they are ridiculously cheaper than hue GU10.

Very happy with the colour output and also easier to connect to hue app than hue lights.

I got these (120 degrees)

€ 16,96 51%OFF | ZIGBEE smart home LED gu10 bulb RGB+CCT color change 5W smart led spotlight AC100-240V led dual white light work with echo plus
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZNzE0G

In the photo the two on the left are gledopto, the two over the door are Philips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

Bought the below GU10 from Ali express 3 weeks ago, delivered yesterday.

I have hue all over my house but decided to try these out as they are ridiculously cheaper than hue GU10.

Very happy with the colour output and also easier to connect to hue app than hue lights.

I got these (120 degrees)

€ 16,96 51%OFF | ZIGBEE smart home LED gu10 bulb RGB+CCT color change 5W smart led spotlight AC100-240V led dual white light work with echo plus
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZNzE0G

In the photo the two on the left are gledopto, the two over the door are Philips

Do they do all the same things the hue does?

OU812 wrote: »
    Do they do all the same things the hue does?

Exact same as hue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Ta, just ordered the kit from John Lewis

Do John Lewis deliver to Ireland or is it a parcel motel jobie?

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Do John Lewis deliver to Ireland or is it a parcel motel jobie?

Parcel Motel or similar effort. I used Address Pal

Exact same as hue

I'd consigned myself to having to spend a nice amount over the next few months kitting out the house with Hue's. With these I could do it all straight away. Not doubting you Maxamillius but would be interested in hearing from anyone else that has these..how are they for retaining connection etc, from the pics the quality of light seems decent so I'm not too worried regarding that..

I'd consigned myself to having to spend a nice amount over the next few months kitting out the house with Hue's. With these I could do it all straight away. Not doubting you Maxamillius but would be interested in hearing from anyone else that has these..how are they for retaining connection etc, from the pics the quality of light seems decent so I'm not too worried regarding that..

Don't forget to check Amazon on an almost daily basis for deals on bulbs, 3 for 2's etc..... Isn't Black Friday coming up soon enough? They usually do the starter kits for around £90

I filled up the entire house 50+ bulbs over about a 4 year period, usually* buying the bulbs in deals.

*except for the 10 GU10 colour bulbs in my kitchen the last 3 years, I paid full fcuking whack £50 per bulb for them......

Don't forget to check Amazon on an almost daily basis for deals on bulbs, 3 for 2's etc..... Isn't Black Friday coming up soon enough? They usually do the starter kits for around £90

I filled up the entire house 50+ bulbs over about a 4 year period, usually* buying the bulbs in deals.

*except for the 10 GU10 colour bulbs in my kitchen the last 3 years, I paid full fcuking whack £50 per bulb for them......

I've a few alerts created on Camelx3. Will see what pops up on Prime Day and Black Friday as well. I've a hub, sensor, 3 GU10's and two colour bayonnet on the way so that will keep me busy for a bit.

I’ll keep you posted over the next few week, as I said I have hue everywhere else but for the price these weee definitely worth a try,

So far so good, light output is excellent, so much so that it actually shows up the two hue bulbs at the front door,they are not as vibrant.

Given the choice I’d stuck mainly with hue but for certain areas these are perfectly fine, at least than half the price of Philips gu10

Back again. Just chatting to the electrician here and wondering if there is any clever way of hiding the socket and plug on the V4 lightstrips under kitchen units, I wont have enough of a drop under the top units to hide the socket and hue plug. It's an L shaped kitchen 2.5 * 2.7 metres. I figure I'll need one 2m and 2 x 1m lightstrips. So would need to hide 3 plugs in total. Need to run the 2 x 1m as the hob/extractor will be in the way at the midpoint.

Going to fit the socket and plug under the kicker board but would need the power cord to be at least 1.5 metres. Can't find the exact measurement online, can anyone tell me the length of it, please ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Back again. Just chatting to the electrician here and wondering if there is any clever way of hiding the socket and plug on the V4 lightstrips under kitchen units, I wont have enough of a drop under the top units to hide the socket and hue plug. It's an L shaped kitchen 2.5 * 2.7 metres. I figure I'll need one 2m and 2 x 1m lightstrips. So would need to hide 3 plugs in total. Need to run the 2 x 1m as the hob/extractor will be in the way at the midpoint.

Going to fit the socket and plug under the kicker board but would need the power cord to be at least 1.5 metres. Can't find the exact measurement online, can anyone tell me the length of it, please ?

Get extensions if possible you could run that way and cut down on plugs needed.... You can buy made up of secondary sellers on Amazon or eBay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Replaced the batteries in 3 sensors. Not bad considering I ordered them in Dec 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

Has anyone here ever encountered an issue with the bulbs turning pink/purple when they should be white? I’ve selected the preset whites from the Hue app but for some reason I can only get a cold white. Any attempt to create a warm white the bulb will turn pinkish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Does anyone have experience using IKEA tradfri switches with the hue ecosystem?

Alkers wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience using IKEA tradfri switches with the hue ecosystem?

Just setup their button switch with my kitchen lights, bit of a faff but no issue. The switches are only 6e or 10e with z bulb which they also sell for a tenner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Rew wrote: »
    Hue outdoor Lily spot light leaked after 18 months, I have started the warranty process with Hue will be interesting to see how they deal with it. Very slow so far.

Replacement arrived last week FYI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Any recommendations for zigbee compatible smart plugs. Looking for 4 of them for Christmas lights.
    Hue version are at least €120 for 4 and Innr are looking like roughly €90 for 4.

Any other people would recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

Any recommendations for zigbee compatible smart plugs. Looking for 4 of them for Christmas lights.
    Hue version are at least €120 for 4 and Innr are looking like roughly €90 for 4.

I’ve got a pair of the Innr zigbee smart plugs a few months ago and they work very perfectly fine with the Hue system.

Also got two Samotech ZigBee dimmers (search on Amazon for SM309) to control newly wired garden spot lights (about 10 on 2 circuits in total) meaning I could use normal bulbs but make them dimmable again via Hue. Of course, requires some wiring work which you might want to get an electrician for. Works again very well with hue.

• Advertisement

All 5 of my outdoor Lily spots stopped working a few months ago.... they are over 2 years old so out of warranty! The fact they are all gone leads me to believe it’s the power supply, however it was always inside my shed....

I’ve seen a power supply on eBay for £29, but I’m reluctant to dump any more money into them especially if it’s not that.... but having initially spent over £500 on them, I kinda want them to last longer than 2 years..

All 5 of my outdoor Lily spots stopped working a few months ago.... they are over 2 years old so out of warranty! The fact they are all gone leads me to believe it’s the power supply, however it was always inside my shed....

I’ve seen a power supply on eBay for £29, but I’m reluctant to dump any more money into them especially if it’s not that.... but having initially spent over £500 on them, I kinda want them to last longer than 2 years..

Jesus that's poor, I'd get onto hue in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I’ve got a pair of the Innr zigbee smart plugs a few months ago and they work very perfectly fine with the Hue system.

2nd vote for Innr ... also .. pricing isn't everything.

The amperage, that the smartplug can take also matters.

Example:
    - the Hue smartplug can only hand 10A. That's approx 2200W max.
    - the INNR smartplug can handle 13A. That's approx 2860W max.

And yes .. the INNR smartplugs work flawless on the Philips Hue hub. I have 2 of them and I've been using them for over 6 months now. Daily.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Thanks AndyBoBandy, newirishman & Marlow for all the feedback. Innr plugs just actually dropped in price yesterday to £32 for a set of 2 so I've gone with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Question on a routine I'm trying to configure..

I have an simple 2 step IFTTT routine setup that when my Ring Camera senses motion it turns on my Front Hue Lights...no issue there works fine...

But I want it to be able to turn off the Front Hue lights automatically after a couple of minutes so they don't say on. It is possible using the Hue App to turn off specific lights after a set time.

I know I can buy a sensor which will take care of it, but trying to use what I have..

Thanks..

ike wrote: »
    I want it to be able to turn off the Front Hue lights automatically after a couple of minutes so they don't say on. It is possible using the Hue App to turn off specific lights after a set time.

I don't think you can do anything in the Hue app to turn the lights off after say 5-10-15 minutes of being on unless you've a sensor.

Can you also trigger a 10 minute countdown (to off) with the same motion trigger that turns them on?

and if not a 10 minute countdown timer, how about ITTT triggers a new (2nd) routine that fades the lights to off over a 5/10 minute period?

If you select a Go To Sleep routine to be triggered with motion, it'll turn them on before fading them out to off.. maybe that could work

• Advertisement

I don't think you can do anything in the Hue app to turn the lights off after say 5-10-15 minutes of being on unless you've a sensor.

Can you also trigger a 10 minute countdown (to off) with the same motion trigger that turns them on?

and if not a 10 minute countdown timer, how about ITTT triggers a new (2nd) routine that fades the lights to off over a 5/10 minute period?

If you select a Go To Sleep routine to be triggered with motion, it'll turn them on before fading them out to off.. maybe that could work

Thanks for the suggestions! But it looks like IFTTT seems to be limited unless you go to the pro version (monthly subscription). I can't use the HUE Bulb Status to act as a trigger either and I cant put more than one action or other conditional logic.

I'll see if anything exists in the Hue Labs as a lot of people seem to be asking the same question i.e. turn off a ON light after a few minutes.

FYI - A couple of simple Alexa Routines sorted this!

When Ring detects Motion turn on lights
    When No motion detected turn off after 5 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ike wrote: »
    FYI - A couple of simple Alexa Routines sorted this!

When Ring detects Motion turn on lights
    When No motion detected turn off after 5 mins

nice one, thanks. I've some eufy cameras to set up this weekend - hadn't even considered that the outdoor hues could be integrated using routines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Have 2 outdoor lights that are covered

Looking for hue options White only

Any other options other than hue that work with the hub and can be controlled by the app

Can see if any deals for prime day

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7qAm9kQbc7VXiw5j7

These do

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SQ1CHZZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_jREGFb9VWPTRQ

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AlanPG

Hi folks,
    I have had hue a few years now, a good few bulbs but I am looking forward to the 1500/1600 lumen bulb becoming available - would easily pick up 4 or 5 of them. I see they seem to be available in the US (in the A21 form), but finding it difficult to see when they might be available in Europe.
    Anyone any info on this?
    Thks

• Advertisement
Advertisement