Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 6

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

For that capital above that sounds right.
    Of course if the rest of the enemy cities are still there you are going to get resistance. Think more the Warsaw uprising than the fall of Berlin.
    awec wrote: »
    If you capture a city that's surrounded by other cities then it should be difficult to maintain control.

But we're not talking about it being "difficult" or there being an uprising. The recently conquered city, with my troops still in it and surrounding it, flips ownership and my armies politely withdraw to beyond the new border several tiles outside the city.

And this will repeat every two turns until the end of time or I stop bothering trying to conquer it.

That's just stupid game mechanics, I don't care how anyone tries to rationalise it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I mean you're complaining that the loyalty mechanics are working as intended... :) I've definitely run into some problems with it, but if you're fighting a strong culture who potentially has governors and golden ages and whatever else to increase loyalty, you will loose a single city on its own - you gotta capture 2 or 3 to make a dent on the cultural pressure. I'd say there might be some wisdom in having a grace period after conquering a city where it won't flip for 5 turns until you can at least try putting a governor in to hold it.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I mean you're complaining that the loyalty mechanics are working as intended... :)

I mean, not really? Was loyalty intended to make someone practically unconquerable even when their military has been wiped out by a massively superior force?

Throw rebels at me, sure, don't magically flip the city back as if God teleported my army out of it.

I threw everything I could at it loyalty-wise, governor made no where near a big enough difference. I had to systematically nuke (because I spent so long trying to hold the capital the tech reached the end-game and the cities became otherwise largely invulnerable) and raze 5+ other cities before I could hold the capital.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Unless the cities border yours you can't really just capture one and expect to hold it. You need to keep going to obtain a critical mass, so you can offset the huge loyalty penalties.

IMO it's closer to reality this way than the alternative.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Anyone up for a Boards Play-by-Cloud game?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Unless the cities border yours you can't really just capture one and expect to hold it. You need to keep going to obtain a critical mass, so you can offset the huge loyalty penalties.

IMO it's closer to reality this way than the alternative.

It was flipping in two turns. Am I supposed to simultaneously conquer five cities in the space of two turns?

Call it anything you like but don't try and claim cities magically evicting their conquerers is, of all things, realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Zillah wrote: »
    It was flipping in two turns. Am I supposed to simultaneously conquer five cities in the space of two turns?

If you're losing 50 Loyalty in two turns when the maximum penalty from adjacent population is -20 a turn, then there's some other issues with your empire causing it. Get more amenities, garrison units in the city, move a governor to the newly captured city.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On a similar tangent, RockPaperShotgun got to play with the pretty transparent Civ clone "Humankind". Seems to take a more dynamic approach to civ building but generally plays like a naked clone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still churning out the updates I see; Humankind has truly lit a fire under the backsides of the devs. Latest thing being brought in is randomised tech / civics trees - which could be an interesting twist in the tale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, the new Secret Societies additions are fun. I only recently picked up the new "Frontier Pass" I think they're calling it which includes the new civs and game modes. Haven't had a chance to try an apocalyptic one, but that could well be fun if you play it as Cthulhu Cultist too :D

Am keeping a good eye on Humankind though, it seems Fireaxis are too as you said :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Is the Frontier Pass worth it? I'm finding it really hard to figure out what is in it and what has actually been released so far, the steam store page only has a vague roadmap beyond September, there should have been more content released since then but I can't tell if there has been.

I see there have been November and December updates but they appear to be regular patches for everyone rather than additional content for the season pass holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

quokula wrote: »
    Is the Frontier Pass worth it? I'm finding it really hard to figure out what is in it and what has actually been released so far.

The stuff included in the DLC so far:
    • Civs: Maya, Gran Colombia, Ethiopia, Byzantium, Gaul, Babylon
    • Teddy Roosevelt and Catherine leader personae
    • Game modes: Apocalypse, Secret Societies, Dramatic Ages, Heroes & Legends
    • 12 new City-States
    • Honey (Luxury) and Maize (Bonus) resources
    • Natural Wonders: Bermuda Triangle, Paititi, Fountain of Youth
    • Diplomatic Quarter district and associated buildings
    • World Wonders: Biosphére, Statue of Zeus
    • Highlands map script
    • Additional Great People
    Still to come includes two more civs with three leaders, two more game modes, another district and buildings, more world wonders, and another map script.

I've heard tell some of those new Civs are wildly overpowered?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I got the base game a while back (I think free) and am thinking about using the Epic voucher on the platinum upgrade, any thoughts is it worth it? And there's another expansion not included in that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I got the base game a while back (I think free) and am thinking about using the Epic voucher on the platinum upgrade, any thoughts is it worth it? And there's another expansion not included in that right?

IMO the platinum edition is well worth it at sale prices. I had the base game and some extra civ packs already but it filled in the stuff I was missing, mainly the two expansions, for like 18 quid in a steam sale. The expansions really fill the game out a bit more, I'm enjoying the added mechanics a lot.

I don't think there's any fully fledged expansions that aren't in the platinum edition; I assume you're referring to the Frontier Pass, which periodically releases packs of new civs and game modes.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Agree, the first two expansions improve the game significantly.

Advertisement