Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

So has it made much difference? I bought Civ 1 when it hit the shop (there was only one I knew of at the time) and every civ game since bar 6. Was not a fan of 5 at all. Thought each one was fantastic to 4. Have bought a desktop and graphic card to play 6 so probably get in the next sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

We won't know until mid Feb!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Never considered Civ V. Was looking at potentially giving it a go but it looks quite complicated.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Civ V is great, it's actually much more simplified than previous offerings by all accounts, it's where I jumped into the series. Look for Quill18 or Marbozir (amongst others) on YouTube to learn how it works and you'll have the fundamentals down in an hour or so (and remember that a game will last about 10-12 hours :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Korea to be added to Civ Vi

Please be Kim Jon Un

Please be Kim Jon Un

Please be Kim Jon Un

Please be Kim Jon Un

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gave up on it and went back to Civ 5. Have played every version from Civ 1 and this is the first time that I've gone back to an earlier version instead.

Having said that, I’m kind of done with Civ 5 now too (finally). It annoys me that in every fupping version of the game, the AI is the stand-out weakness, and it seems like they never do any work on it all. Instead they faff about with shiney new game mechanics without sorting out the fundamentals. Civ seems forever destined to remain a Ferrari with an engine of a lawnmower. 20 years since Deep Blue beat Kasparov and knats are still smarter than Civ's AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

in fairness, beyond earth was worse. Jesus that sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Zulu wrote: »
    in fairness, beyond earth was worse. Jesus that sucked.

Dreadful game.

I finally bought this (digital delux edition including all dlc) and the recently announced Rise and Fall expansion thanks to a steam gift voucher from a secret Santa.

I haven't tried much yet but I think that I will have to change/improve my city placement ideas.

I finally bought this (digital delux edition including all dlc) and the recently announced Rise and Fall expansion thanks to a steam gift voucher from a secret Santa.

Must be a pre-order?

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Must be a pre-order?
    Yes - I pre ordered while I was buying the base game. The release date is 8th of Feb I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Lads Civ6 is still full price on STEAM...at 60 or something

But is early unlock on Humble Bundle for 10er....the lowest price it's ever been anywhere.
    Here's you chance to grab it if you have a passing interest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Lads Civ6 is still full price on STEAM...at 60 or something

But is early unlock on Humble Bundle for 10er....the lowest price it's ever been anywhere.
    Here's you chance to grab it if you have a passing interest

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

If you sign up to this, you'll get the game immediately and then the first week of Feb you'll get a ream of other games too (all for the same tenner) and then you can cancel your subscription. I've chosen to keep my subscription though, decent load of games for 12 dollars a month

Rise and Fall expansion releases tomorrow.

https://civilization.com

Some new civs with a new era system - golden, normal, dark and heroic ages.

A city loyalty system with the prospect of gaining or loosing cities (to rivals or to independence) if they aren't loyal to the empire.

A city loyalty system with the prospect of gaining or loosing cities (to rivals or to independence) if they aren't loyal to the empire.

They will remain loyal to the Empire if they know whats good for them.

They will remain loyal to the Empire if they know whats good for them.

Been watching some of the upcoming stuff via the press preview build they sent out to YouTubers and I'm really looking forward to giving it a go. I suspect that Warhammer 2 Mortal Empires with the Tomb Kings I started a couple of days ago is going to go on hold :)

The new civs look cool too, always nice to have more variety.

Never considered Civ V. Was looking at potentially giving it a go but it looks quite complicated.

It's amazing. Get Civ V!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So what with new expansion, if you didn't buy Rise and Fall how does that work.

I'd imagine it'll be like Civ V if you didn't have one or another of the expansions. Some of the more popular mods had separate releases for whether or not you had Gods and Kings and/or Brave New World, so I suspect this will be the same.

Rise and Fall is an interesting expansion though, I'd recommend it and the Civ stuff goes on sale quite regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

€40 for Gathering Storm? What a joke of a price.

As above the price is steep - I will wait till it is well discounted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not sure what it was about Civ 6, but i could never get into it like i did previous games. Maybe it's the more cartoony graphics, but it just never clicked with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's the diplomacy and warmongering penalties for me. Seems more punitive than in previous games. Hopefully the new system in the expansion will help combat that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I timed it before, on marathon, and after Japan invaded me around 1000BC which ended up in me taking all their cities and ignoring their (one) plea for a treaty. Can't remember but I think it was around 300BC when I finished them.

That was the only war I was involved in all game, and trey attacked me... Yet fast forward to about 1200AD (again, on marathon) and every civ in the whole game still hated me because of the warmonger penalty.

I've been looking at some of the dev streams for the new content in Gathering Storm and it's a fairly substantial overhaul to the game for sure. Really looking forward to seeing it in action. Of the new Civ's I've seen so far, I'm definitely most interested in the Maori and Canada - Hungary seem to be a City State focused civ and I've never quite been able to manage that style of game. The Maori have to find a patch of land and fight to keep it which sounds really for as an early game forward settling style of game and Canada seem to be immune from being declared upon in war and can make use of Tundra tiles, so should be great for those "leave me alone and let me get to late game and unleash diplomatic and tourism glory upon you all and win" kinds of games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

It's the diplomacy and warmongering penalties for me. Seems more punitive than in previous games. Hopefully the new system in the expansion will help combat that.

Current game I'm on, decided to be peaceful and keep a small well defended empire for a change of style over my usual land and expand tactic. I get attacked by two AI characters teaming up together which i had been on good terms with until that point and now everyone hates me because i was able to defend myself and win a couple of cities, this is all pre industrial age with plenty of space to expand into without kicking wars off with me.

They've acknowledged on the streams that they're changing the way this works cause yea, it's broken as all hell. 1000 years after you win a war that the AI started against you, the whole fking world shouldn't still be pissed off with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The Inca have been out on display today as well.

Isolationist mountaineers by the looks of things.
    Mountains getting some love, and the new mechanic they're building on is earlier access to building tunnels, as well as getting resources off mountain tiles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I have played all the Civilization games from two onwards and only have the base game of Civ VI but i couldn't get into it at all. I got it a few months back and only played about 35 minutes and quit yet when it comes to Civ 3/4/5 i can play for hours.

I also play conquest domination just taking over the whole map so i don't like being penalised for capturing cities and believe it or not in all those games i played since 2 i never onlce played a Science/cultural win. :pac:

Advertisement