Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crypto debit cards latest?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭digiman

Looks like I could get 3% with the binance card by staking around €1.5k which is a hell of a lot less risk.

What has driven these prices so high in the last few months? Binance has more than 10x this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

digiman wrote: »
    Looks like I could get 3% with the binance card by staking around €1.5k which is a hell of a lot less risk.

What has driven these prices so high in the last few months? Binance has more than 10x this year

If you're not much into crypto and just want the cashback card, check out Nexo.io. they will give you interest on Euros and have a 2% cashback card.

Disclaimer: I don't have an account with Nexo but considering it, just doing some research on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 justtrying312

Yeah.... crypto.com cards are solid. I got the ruby card for 81 euro when it was 1000 CRO's required for staking...

the 1000 cro's I had to buy are now worth 180 euro.. and I've gotten 140 euro in cashback using the card, so pretty good deal for me..

If I were you I'd work out how much I'm spending each month, or year if possible lol and decide if it's worth going for the card.. It's very sweet if I'll be honest. Can pay for friends stuff and build up cashback that way etc.

If thinking of joining make sure to use someone's referral code as you and the person's code you used get 25$ free if you stake for a ruby card++

crypto ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I know I am a grumpy old f*%ker but he whole process of applying for these cards is driving me nuts.

I was using an app tonight (either Crypto or Binance) to take an ID image, selfie mode, it says "remove glasses", now there is another massage, but I cant read it so I put my glasses back on, the message reads "remove hands from face", so I remove my glasses again - etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 justtrying312

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I know I am a grumpy old f*%ker but he whole process of applying for these cards is driving me nuts.

I was using an app tonight (either Crypto or Binance) to take an ID image, selfie mode, it says "remove glasses", now there is another massage, but I cant read it so I put my glasses back on, the message reads "remove hands from face", so I remove my glasses again - etc etc.

yeah it's a nightmare a bit but, worth while! remember to use someone's ref code as a bonus on these crypto sites. Better to use than not! hope it worked out for ya

yeah it's a nightmare a bit but, worth while! remember to use someone's ref code as a bonus on these crypto sites. Better to use than not! hope it worked out for ya

If anyone's got valid referral codes for Crypto and Binance then PM them to me, I will use them tomorrow or whenever the ID gets approved..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If anyone's got valid referral codes for Crypto and Binance then PM them to me, I will use them tomorrow or whenever the ID gets approved..

Pm sent with codes for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

digiman wrote: »

I thought to get 3% you'd have to stake 50 BNB which last I checked was €426 x 50 which is just nuts.

I have the card - can someone oblige and tell me I have it wrong so I can get more cashback ? I also wouldn't be surprised if bnb jumped that much in so little time..

FGR wrote: »
    I thought to get 3% you'd have to stake 50 BNB which last I checked was €426 x 50 which is just nuts.

I have the card - can someone oblige and tell me I have it wrong so I can get more cashback ? I also wouldn't be surprised if bnb jumped that much in so little time..

I have just got the Binance card, and yes thats my understanding too you need to stake 50 BNB.

I have the Crypto card on the way too, and thats a 3.5k stake, as I understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yep I believe that's correct (it is not a once-off staking though, I think it is the 30 days moving average of all your BNB holdings on the Binance platform across all products). That’s pretty crazy and clearly it makes no sense to buy the tokens just for the benefits of the card, it is more something to take as an extra if you are holding the tokens for other reasons anyway.

• Advertisement

I have been enjoying spending crypto on the Binance card, but I do have 1 issue.

Lidl shopping, ATM and high street shopping no issues, but I am yet to find a source of fuel where the card works, the PIN is accepted but the transaction fails (with "code 100" on the garage with a self pay terminal). I have tried my 2 nearest petrol stations, 1 is a Centra and the other is an interdependent.

Is this just my bad luck or to be expected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Can you top up the binace card with euro and use it that way?

If you can, any fees/charges for doing so?

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Can you top up the binace card with euro and use it that way?

If you can, any fees/charges for doing so?

Thanks guys

You can deposit Euro to your binance account and then move it to your card from your spot wallet.

banie01 wrote: »
    You can deposit Euro to your binance account and then move it to your card from your spot wallet.

Any charges for POS transactions if I do this?

No charges for bank deposits, you still get cash back etc..

No charges for bank deposits, you still get cash back etc..

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any other fees for using the card in POS tranactions

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any other fees for using the card in POS transactions

No, you do not get cash back on ATM, everything else no fees and cash back. The only fees I have paid is when using a normal credit card to transfer money in, bank transfers are free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Binance just announced lower BNB requirements for rewards. Was thinking they'd have to do that alright.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Binance just announced lower BNB requirements for rewards. Was thinking they'd have to do that alright.

Yes while the BNB price increase is obviously great for old timers, it had made some of their services unattractive for new-comers.

Having said that, it should be a reminder to everyone that none of these benefits are contractual and Binance is free to change the rules at any time, for the better or the worse (same with CDC and any other similar platform).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

Happy out using my Wirex and Cryptp.com cards thru Curve.... for 1 and 2 % cashback and linking to grocery stores and petrol stations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Swipe has decided to pull their card from the 1st May

I was getting Netflix & Spotify rebates on this with 2% cashback in BTC

Any suggestions for an alternative? They are steering me towards a Binance card

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Swipe has decided to pull their card from the 1st May

I was getting Netflix & Spotify rebates on this with 2% cashback in BTC

Any suggestions for an alternative? They are steering me towards a Binance card

Crypto.com if you have 3.5k to stake at 10% APY. Now is a great time to buy CRO at $0.175. I have the indigo card with only 10k CRO staked (grandfathered in) which gives 3% and Spotify and Netflix.

"Crypto.com Visa Card | 8% Card Spend Reward" https://crypto.com/cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,716 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Call me cynical but I'm not convinced at all about the benefits of the crypto.com card (that I have had for several months and have used)

I have free spotify with my car. And I pay about €3 per month for the €12 mid Netflix package (the Turkey route)

And for the actual money I have put through the card, I have seen zero return on my actual balance. How do you get this return, in CRO tokens (that have dropped like a brick?)

I sense a heaviness on hopefulness and self promoting in these posts about crypto.com cards. And not much on real financial benefits. Or am I wrong here and how else do all these benefits add up to your balances on your fiat accounts? :)

unkel wrote: »
    Call me cynical but I'm not convinced at all about the benefits of the crypto.com card (that I have had for several months and have used)

I have free spotify with my car. And I pay about €3 per month for the €12 mid Netflix package (the Turkey route)

And for the actual money I have put through the card, I have seen zero return on my actual balance. How do you get this return, in CRO tokens (that have dropped like a brick?)

I sense a heaviness on hopefulness and self promoting in these posts about crypto.com cards. And not much on real financial benefits. Or am I wrong here and how else do all these benefits add up to your balances on your fiat accounts? :)

Simple, I convert CRO I receive as rewards and cashback immediately into other crypto. I do not keep any CRO other than what I stake!

I get cashback for most of my Netflix (€11.93) family and Spotify (€11.08) family packs I pay for, you are missing these. We get 3% cashback on everything we spend monthly (~€2000) using the card. Myself and the missus share the card using Curve, she has the physical Curve, I use it in Google pay for everything, this works out at another €60 per month in cash back. Then you have the 10% return on the stake paid weekly.

Plus from the mid-tier onwards CDC are increasing interest rates for deposited crypto (I don’t know how sustainable it is, but I believe they have been paying a steady 6.5% on BTC for over 2 years (3 months term deposits) - which is pretty solid.
    unkel wrote: »

I don’t get this?

CRO has been dropping in the last few days alright, but as we know the overall crypto market is currently dropping, not just CRO (plus over the past 6 months CRO is still up 70% and if you have been holding your cashback as CRO for the past couple of months, on average there shouldn’t be any loss).

Also if you don’t want to keep the CRO cashback you are receiving for your purchases you can easily convert it to euros to lock its fiat value (you just need to wait until you have accrued around 20 euros worth of CROs I think).

• Advertisement

Yep, I'm getting 6.5% on BTC and 5.5% on ETH I have in 3 months earn on Crypto.com

Badly fukt wrote: »
    Crypto.com if you have 3.5k to stake at 10% APY. Now is a great time to buy CRO at $0.175. I have the indigo card with only 10k CRO staked (grandfathered in) which gives 3% and Spotify and Netflix.

I had a look at the crypto.com options

€3.5k staked for the card with 3% rewards + Nflix & Sptfy

it says staked for 6 months, what happens after this? If you withdraw your stake do you still benefit from the rewards?

I had a look at the crypto.com options

€3.5k staked for the card with 3% rewards + Nflix & Sptfy

it says staked for 6 months, what happens after this? If you withdraw your stake do you still benefit from the rewards?

No, you can remove your stake at any time after the initial 6 months is up but if you remove your stake you go back to 1% blue visa. I've finished mine, I've left it staked for indigo as I'm grandfathered into indigo for 10k stake.

Badly fukt wrote: »

I'm very new to crypto cards.

This one has no monthly/annual fee, no atm charges up to X amount. Given my usage, it will be basically free. Sounds great, like too good to be true.

What do they gain out of this? Is the stake worth that much to them?

I think I'll go for Ruby at first as I'm skeptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Hold on, Swipe is what the Binance card is based on. I wonder does this mean they bought them out?

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    Hold on, Swipe is what the Binance card is based on. I wonder does this mean they bought them out?

Yes, typical exemple of a large player buying a small one to at the same time acquire its expertise and remove it as a competitor. I think on the day they announced the take-over it was clear Swipe would be phased-out.

I think i'll go for crypto.com's card. Anyone have a referral link they wanna share?

I seen it mentioned there is 10% paid weekly on your staking amount, I dont see this on their website, this is an added bonus if true

I seen it mentioned there is 10% paid weekly on your staking amount, I dont see this on their website, this is an added bonus if true

Yes it is 10% yearly rate on the staking amount (paid each week), but it is only valid from the mid-tier onwards (the 3500 euros tier).

Edit: and I saw it mentioned here on their website, but you indeed really have to look for it: https://help.crypto.com/en/articles/1961286-how-do-i-stake-cro-on-the-crypto-com-app
    Strange they don't communicate on it more clearly on the main card webpage (unless it means they are planning to quietly phase it out at some stage).

I think i'll go for crypto.com's card. Anyone have a referral link they wanna share?

PM sent in case you haven't gotten one yet.

Just signed up, sorry should have asked if anyone had a referral link, I presume it would have been a few quid for providing one

Just signed up, sorry should have asked if anyone had a referral link, I presume it would have been a few quid for providing one

I think those days it’s 25 dollars both for the new customer and the personne referring them.

Not a huge amount but I guess everyone like free money :-)

Maybe a stupid question regarding crypto.com...

Let's say I buy €3500 worth of CRO and then the price falls by 10%, so I then hold €3150 worth of CRO, technically I no longer hold the €3500 required for staking and rebate. Do I need to top it up to €3500?

Let's say I buy €3500 worth of CRO and then the price falls by 10%, so I then hold €3150 worth of CRO, technically I no longer hold the €3500 required for staking and rebate. Do I need to top it up to €3500?

No, once it's staked it doesn't matter

In the short term, no. the current rule is that once you have staked the amount you remain in that tier unless you unstake it, even if the price of CRO drops.

In the long term, who knows? (there is no contractual obligation and it just an informal agreement between CDC and the customer, so while they are unlikely to change it in the near term technically they can change the rule anytime).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Thanks all for the info on this thread. Very informative!

Just a quick one for both the binance and cdc cards - is there a max limit to how much can be preloaded onto them? Not that I'm loaded but would rather have money sitting in the card than on the exchange.

Also sad about swipe - I was hoping binance would offer the same spotify netflix and lounge discounts. Anyone know it that might happen?

Just a quick one for both the binance and cdc cards - is there a max limit to how much can be preloaded onto them? Not that I'm loaded but would rather have money sitting in the card than on the exchange.

I don’t know the answer, but just a warning about the CDC one if you do that: the card balance is different from the CCD account balance. And while you can transfer money from the CDC account balance to the card at any time, it is not possible the other way around (I.e. what is added to the card must be spent with the card and can’t be taken back). Technically you can still retrieve than money by withdrawing it at an ATM or using the CDC card to top-up a Revolut account, but just something to consider before putting a very large amount on there.

on the crypto.com card, what crypto does it use for paying?

On the Swipe you selected your crypto to fund the card, is it the same on the crytpo.com?

on the crypto.com card, what crypto does it use for paying?

On the Swipe you selected your crypto to fund the card, is it the same on the crytpo.com?

It is different. The CDC card is basically a prepaid Visa card with its own euro balance. Any payment comes from that euro balance.

You can top it up either with another bank card, from your main CDC euro balance, or from crypto balances you have on CDC (I that case the crypto is converted to euros at the time you are toping-up).

So it never implicitly converts crypto into fiat to make a payment, you have to do it manually beforehand. Some will think it is a shame, but I actually kind of like it better that way as it means you are never selling crypto (and triggering CGT) without explicitly requesting it yourself.

Just realised the CDC app is separate from the CDC exchange. Is that correct? Very annoying if true. I can't set limit trades on the app to build up CRO for the stake. I guess I could deposit euro on the exchange then transfer to CDC app (or whatever that section is called)? I wonder would that incur a lot of fees?

Apologies for bombarding with noob questions. I read the whole thread I swear. (the FUD back in October was interesting...)

Just realised the CDC app is separate from the CDC exchange. Is that correct? Very annoying if true. I can't set limit trades on the app to build up CRO for the stake. I guess I could deposit euro on the exchange then transfer to CDC app (or whatever that section is called)? I wonder would that incur a lot of fees?

Apologies for bombarding with noob questions. I read the whole thread I swear. (the FUD back in October was interesting...)

Yes they are separate accounts (agree this should really be the same account!).

The two accounts are linked though so you can see your exchange balance in the App and easily initiate transfers to the exchange from the App or to the App from the exchange.

I believe there is no fee for transferring CRO between the App and the exchange, but you might want to double-check.

Edit: it does indeed confirm here that there is no fees (both directions) between the App and the exchange as long as you you do it as an internal (off-chain) transfer: https://help.crypto.com/en/articles/3511268-deposits-and-withdrawals-on-the-exchange

On CDC exchange, you can't deposit fiat, but you can on the app, it must be converted to CRO before going onto the exchange. Weird eco system they have going. They want you to trade in CRO for everything else I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes they are separate accounts (agree this should really be the same account!).

The two accounts are linked though so you can see your exchange balance in the App and easily initiate transfers to the exchange from the App or to the App from the exchange.

I believe there is no fee for transferring CRO between the App and the exchange, but you might want to double-check.

Edit: it does indeed confirm here that there is no fees (both directions) between the App and the exchange as long as you you do it as an internal (off-chain) transfer: https://help.crypto.com/en/articles/3511268-deposits-and-withdrawals-on-the-exchange

Wirex have merged the Fiat account with your Euro account so a little easier, and more understandable imo...doing 4% cashback for April.... Will prob do same again for May as they head towards release in US... but they don't have same breadth of crypto to invest in if you want to

On CDC exchange, you can't deposit fiat, but you can on the app, it must be converted to CRO before going onto the exchange. Weird eco system they have going. They want you to trade in CRO for everything else I guess.

Yes agree it is a little strange. Looks like they have different teams struggling to work with each other.

Having said that, at the latest AMA the CEO said fiat pairs are coming to the exchange this quarter. We shall see …

• Advertisement

sorry if this has been brought up before

So when you have the app setup, you have acquired the relevant amount of CRO for the card you want to get and the card is authorised....how is the card funded?

It seems the card has a wallet of its own, rather than being funded from one of your cryptos directly

SO does that mean you have 2 options to use the card, either cash out your crypto and fund the wallet EUR balance that way to spend or just do a transfer of fiat into the fiat wallet and from the fiat wallet into the card wallet?

If thats the case, then in reality is it not a crypto card as you could just fund it with fiat, pay for your goods and claim the rewards? This is what Swipe did initially but killed it after a month or so and the card was just funded from a specific crypto wallet

Just trying to understand, thanks

Advertisement