Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollow Knight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Is there any clue that you are supposed to slash downward on those purple mushrooms to bounce? I assumed I was missing a key item to progress and wandered the map for a few hours.

No, just intuition really.

Great game though. I thought I didn't have the patience for metroidvania's anymore. Turns out I just hadn't played a decent one. The art style massively put me off trying this before. Insects are icky.

Wow I was convinced this wasn't coming out on the Xbox but I see there in the store and it's out today and only 11.99. Time to see what all this fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Played about two hours and really like it so far. Encountered two bosses, one might have been a mini boss, and they didn't cause me much hassle.

Art style is nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Got a PS4 release today as well. Debating whether to pick it up for PS4 or Switch. Getting a physical release next year as well. Don't want to wait that long though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Got a PS4 release today as well. Debating whether to pick it up for PS4 or Switch. Getting a physical release next year as well. Don't want to wait that long though.

Get it on Switch. It's perfect for pick up and play that the switch offers.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Get it on Switch. It's perfect for pick up and play that the switch offers.

I will more than likely. Its cheaper for one thing. Lads on the Nintendo forum pointed me in direction of South African store where its less than a tenner.

I will more than likely. Its cheaper for one thing. Lads on the Nintendo forum pointed me in direction of South African store where its less than a tenner.

Ah three euro isn't going to make much of a difference, that's just a large latte.

I bought it on release on Switch for €15 and I wouldn't say I was short changed at all. In fact I got way more value than €15 out of it.

Ah three euro isn't going to make much of a difference, that's just a large latte.

I bought it on release on Switch for €15 and I wouldn't say I was short changed at all. In fact I got way more value than €15 out of it.

It's actually a fiver haha. But for the work involved I'll probably just buy from the Irish shop. I only set up the account this morning. Gonna get some eshop credit and get this and The Messenger.

It's actually a fiver haha. But for the work involved I'll probably just buy from the Irish shop. I only set up the account this morning. Gonna get some eshop credit and get this and The Messenger.

You can just pay with your bank card. I have Revolut as my account card and just pay the exact amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Picked this up yesterday and ploughed about 10 hours into it. I believe I am hooked, and while there are references to Dark Souls, I wouldn't say it's like it at all, as it's a lot easier so far. I can see it getting a lot harder, especially the boss battles (only heading back to take on the Mantis Lords after upgrading my Nail). Any time I've died so far have been my own fault, so that's good. The art style is nice, and the exploration is fun, even if I somehow only manage to find the cartographer at the end of each area! I always pick the wrong initial direction!

Someone asked how it compares to Guacamelee 2, and while they are similar games (2D platforming), the similarities end there, they are 2 very different games after that. Guacamelee is more straight forward with a definite direction at all times. Hollow Knight, not at all. You've a vague idea but no real way of knowing how to get there, only moving forward in the general direction you believe you are supposed to go! I'm still early in the game, but I'm taking my time so I can get enjoyment out of it before I eventually give up out of frustration!

this is an early unlock on next months humble monthly for 12 bucks.

Finally bought this a couple of weeks ago and this morning decided I'd take a break from Red Dead Redemption 2 so stuck it on. It has a beautiful art style and the soundtrack is great. Combat seems simplistic but I expect that will change soon enough when I start to level up or gain new abilities. I'm very lost, wandering around with no clue where to go or what to do. I don't mind at all. All will become clear very soon I'm sure.

Finally bought this a couple of weeks ago and this morning decided I'd take a break from Red Dead Redemption 2 so stuck it on. It has a beautiful art style and the soundtrack is great. Combat seems simplistic but I expect that will change soon enough when I start to level up or gain new abilities. I'm very lost, wandering around with no clue where to go or what to do. I don't mind at all. All will become clear very soon I'm sure.

You'll need to find the map guy and then buy a charm back in dirtmouth that will show where you are on the map. Once you have those it gets a bit easier to navigate.

Also the elder bug in the home village gives you a clue to which area to go to. I'm almost finished it. Great game.

How do I deflect projectiles back to enemies? Do I need a charm? There's a thing in Fungal Wastes that fires explosive projectiles and they hurt when they connect. Saw someone firing them back but they just explode when I try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

How do I deflect projectiles back to enemies? Do I need a charm? There's a thing in Fungal Wastes that fires explosive projectiles and they hurt when they connect. Saw someone firing them back but they just explode when I try it.

I just ran :D

Hit them with the nail isn't it :confused:

Hit them with the nail isn't it :confused:

Tried that but they exploded, damaging me so thought maybe you needed a charm or something. Maybe my timing is off. Been doing same as above - running - but doesn't always work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Tried that but they exploded, damaging me so thought maybe you needed a charm or something. Maybe my timing is off. Been doing same as above - running - but doesn't always work.

I sort of ran under them so they ended up killing themselves with the projectile (if that make sense?)

• Advertisement

There's those floating jellyfish/brain/metroid things that fly at you and explode when you kill them. I'd also like to know if you can deflect them.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I sort of ran under them so they ended up killing themselves with the projectile (if that make sense?)

Did that damage you too?

Had a rage inducing platform section this morning to free one of the creatures in the jars. Must have taken me an hour as I refused to give up. I had to bounce on those mushrooms all the way up. I'm enjoying the game despite the raging.

Could you describe the creature in more detail? Not sure what you are talking about. Is those ones that suicide downwards from the roof?

Could you describe the creature in more detail? Not sure what you are talking about. Is those ones that suicide downwards from the roof?

I think it's the vine things on the wall that shoot the tracking green ball at you?

Yeah as TitianGerm says, in Fungal Wastes when you get close to them they pop out of the wall and fire a projectile at you that tracks and explodes. Like a mass of tenticles. Called sporgs according to the wiki.

I miss this wonderful game, the messenger isn't doing it for me yet!
    Easily my game of 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Yeah as TitianGerm says, in Fungal Wastes when you get close to them they pop out of the wall and fire a projectile at you that tracks and explodes. Like a mass of tenticles. Called sporgs according to the wiki.

I don't think those ones can be hit back. Another area has similar type projectiles that can be hit back tho.

kellso81 wrote: »
    I don't think those ones can be hit back. Another area has similar type projectiles that can be hit back tho.

Was watching someone on YouTube do it so they definitely can.

Not sure I have the patience for this. Some of the platforming has me raging like never before. The part in Mantis Village where you have to open all the doors took me ages. Have to be pixel perfect. Tried challenging the Mantis Lords and they (1st one) just swatted me like the annoying insect I am. Onto another bit in the direction of Hornet for the second time. Got one bridge opened but the next part is so hard to navigate. Need to take a break because I'm getting frustrated so making stupid mistakes. I like the game but damn it's tough.

Was watching someone on YouTube do it so they definitely can.

Not sure I have the patience for this. Some of the platforming has me raging like never before. The part in Mantis Village where you have to open all the doors took me ages. Have to be pixel perfect. Tried challenging the Mantis Lords and they (1st one) just swatted me like the annoying insect I am. Onto another bit in the direction of Hornet for the second time. Got one bridge opened but the next part is so hard to navigate. Need to take a break because I'm getting frustrated so making stupid mistakes. I like the game but damn it's tough.

For the Mantis Lords stay in the middle of the platform when they throw the spinning disks. It's really easy to dodge and then you can heal during that attack if you time it right.

• Advertisement

For the Mantis Lords stay in the middle of the platform when they throw the spinning disks. It's really easy to dodge and then you can heal during that attack if you time it right.

Getting better at Mantis Lords. They take a lot of hits though and I inevitably mess up. I met someone who suggested visiting a city where I can upgrade my nail. Is that a big trek? I reckon if I could increase my damage output I'd have this. Also, do you have to buy the mask fragments or are they there to be found in the world? I've only got three, two of which where definitely bought and I think I may have also bought the third one. Still only 5 mask lifebar although I have the lifeblood charm equipped. Should my HP bar be bigger at this stage?

Advertisement