Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to RTE Radio 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Louise Hegarty formerly of numerous radio stations such as 98FM and Today FM and currently in RTE continuity and TV weather, will be presenting Rising Time for the remainder of this week.

Heard her this morning for the first time. Chirst but she talks! She seems obsessed with television and music and 'gigs'. Therefore, I would imagine she's single with no kids?
    I would not be of her generation but all that talk is just siht talk. Nonsense stuff. I feel like saying to her' would ya ever cop yourself on love'.

At least I haven't heard her patronize her listeners like Lillian Smith does as she signs off with admonishments to keep socially distant, to wash our hands and tobwesr masks. God it's like being told off by the nuns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FamousDave

bobbyss wrote: »
    I would not be of her generation but all that talk is just siht talk. Nonsense stuff. I feel like saying to her' would ya ever cop yourself on love'.

Because only people who share your lifestyle and experiences should be on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

FamousDave wrote:
    Because only people who share your lifestyle and experiences should be on the radio.

Not at all. I don't think I have ever heard her before but I may have at some time or another. This morning i happened to be listening to her and was struck by how often she referred to programmes on TV and how she hoped to be watching this and that. She wouldn't be my cup of tea at all.
    I would prefer Marty at that time or the regular current affairs programme which usually occupies the time she was on.

I would not have much in common with people who are constantly rabbiting on avout tv programmes. That's not to say those people should not be on the radio. Of course there's a place for them. Except I won't be listening.

Juggling around staff, filling gaps, can be a tricky process, and the results will always be somewhat unsatisfactory. I was surprised (no I wasn't really!) that because of the year that's in it, and that for many the Christmas break this year can't be that much use, that they wouldn't have offered to allow more presenters to opt to come in and do their stint, and to be compensated duly by taking that exact amount of time in summer when things have settled down, and when they could actually possibly better enjoy their holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Aidan Leonard is back on Radio 1 today at 3.30 with RTE Gold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭RINO87

^This is good news, its great hearing him on FM again! Was mentioned earlier that today was to be Michael Cahill.

Now playing "Have I told You Lately" by Van Morrison - surely a nod to his night time show on 2fm!

Correct ..the last time Aidan was on FM was when filling in for Larry on 2FM in around 2015.
    Prior to that some relief work on Radio 1.
    Aidan is on again tomorrow at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

tubridy and ronan collins still on xmas hols, they should be back now should they not? jesus how long is tubridy gone?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    tubridy and ronan collins still on xmas hols, they should be back now should they not? jesus how long is tubridy gone?

Ronan was back today (Monday) you obviously were not listening
    Tubridy is back on Wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Claire Byrne also got long holidays (is that a bad thing though?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭amlinopta

An unusual one I’ve noticed lately, 11.00pm news bulletin has been dropped, Cathal Murray now starts Late Date by handing over to sport

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

amlinopta wrote: »
    An unusual one I’ve noticed lately, 11.00pm news bulletin has been dropped, Cathal Murray now starts Late Date by handing over to sport

You'd imagine there's be more news than sport going on these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

sligojoek wrote: »
    You'd imagine there's be more news than sport going on these days.

When Mary Wilson hosted Drivetime, She was on air alone for 2.5 hours, bar Friday night’s when Callan’s kicks was on.

Tonight I heard Cormac O’Hara say they ( him & the woman, whose name escapes me) were only on for 2 hours.

Any wonder RTE are in financial mire?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

When Mary Wilson hosted Drivetime, She was on air alone for 2.5 hours, bar Friday night’s when Callan’s kicks was on.

Tonight I heard Cormac O’Hara say they ( him & the woman, whose name escapes me) were only on for 2 hours.

Any wonder RTE are in financial mire?
    1. It's Cormac O'hEadhra
    2. It's Sarah McInerney
    3. They finished early to hand over the study hub, for leaving cert students. Because of the pandemic.
    4. How is this an indication of "financial mire"?

dulpit wrote: »
    1. It's Cormac O'hEadhra
    2. It's Sarah McInerney
    3. They finished early to hand over the study hub, for leaving cert students. Because of the pandemic.
    4. How is this an indication of "financial mire"?

Thanks for the woman’s name.

As for being an indication of RTE beingin the mire, Mary Wilson ran the 2.5 hour show solo, but it now is a 2 hour show ( I believe this wasn’t the first time the programme only ran for 2 hours) run by 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

amlinopta wrote: »

They are cutting back on the news headlines all day for the past while. Probably makes sense as you can check the news headlines when you want on your phone. News at 12 and 4 went to make way for Nuacht. Similary the news at 7 is replaced by Nuacht now. So after 6 there is just news at 8, 10 and 12. Dont see the point in Nuacht on Radio 1 to be honest while RnG is broadcasting at the same time.

regardless of smartphones etc, there should be hourly news on a public service station..and not everyone has a smartphone or tablet

Anyone know why no ‘Political hour’ with Aine Lawlor today on RTE TV 1?

new Radio 1 imaging/jingles launched today. think the jingles going into the news were at least 20 - 25 years old. I will miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Agreed, if radio admits it has lost the fight with other media platforms, then the slowly sliding slope, will accelerate. Radio needs to fight for what it holds and develop further, not throw in the towel.

• Advertisement

The new news intro sounds very generic

sounds very sky newsy.

at least the old intro sounded more "public service"

The News at One/This Week intro music was used for the on the hour news in the 80s and 90s

not sure why Radio 1 changed the liners/jingles. i know music stations do regularly.

but if it ain't broke, don't fix it

What possible future changes do we envision happing at RTE R1? Ray Darcy will probably be stuck on that afternoon slot for the rest of his working life because there is nowhere else to put him. I guess there's a chance of Tubridy been extended to 2 hours when Ronan Collins calls it a day

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭morphy87

Don’t like these new jingles, have they the tune changed for the weather forecast as well? The tune that plays every night at 11.55 before the sea and weather forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I think it’s gone, they had the weather on at 5.55 and new tune, a terrible tune, the one they had was iconic, heard it most nights without fail,why did they change these jingles? Not a fan, something like you hear on sky

• Advertisement

Is there any way of getting a copy of the old jingles? It would be nice to get, they had one for the news bulletins and the weather and then 4 different jingles that were used between shows and after shows, if contacted would RTÉ forward them on do you think?

Advertisement