Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

XWB wrote: »
    You are set a squak with your flight plan when you get your clearance. You bang that in and set off. When you contact atlantic control they may well ask you to change the squak. The JAA use 2000 for the ATPLs as it is a default squak. But let me put it this way...if you fly EIWT - EINN with a flight plan your squak wont be 7000, as they will give you a squak...but if they didnt for some reason you'd keep 7000....but that is unlikely!

You were asked about the squawk you set when flying the North Atlantic. Did you not say you flew the A330 for Aer Lingus. If so you would know the procedure which has been in use for many many years if not decades. This is reality, and has been reality for a long time!

From the North Atlantic MNPSA Operations Manual

OPERATION OF TRANSPONDERS
    6.7.1 Unless otherwise directed by ATC, pilots of aircraft equipped with SSR transponders flying in the NAT FIRs will operate transponders continuously in Mode A/C Code 2000, except that the last assigned code will be retained for a period of 30 min after entry into NAT airspace. Pilots should note that it is important to change from the last assigned domestic code to the Mode A/C Code 2000 since the original domestic code may not be recognised by the subsequent Domestic Radar Service on exit from the oceanic airspace. It should be noted that this procedure does not affect the use of the special purpose codes (7500, 7600 and 7700) in cases of unlawful interference, radio failure or emergency. However, given the current heightened security environment crews must exercise CAUTION when selecting Codes not to inadvertently cycle through any of these special purpose codes and thereby possibly initiate the launching of an interception.

How did you not know this if you flew for Aer Lingus is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Well this is interesting, somewhat surprising. As a pilot, (I would say that;)). I pride myself on spotting a Walt. I went back through the thread and I have to say that if XWB is a Walt, then he's good, very good. Too good actually because he clearly isn't a fake.

Which leaves Boeingboy, fake or no? Well with only ten posts and a certain ambiguity about who he flies for and XWBs points. There exists the possibility that he is a Microsoft Captain. But it would be odd for a pixel pilot to try and out another. Too risky.

I can understand vagueness. I practice it too because I would be outed immediately if I was more clear. Nevertheless a couple of boarders figured me out straightaway.

So I suggest an exchange of PMs lads. Establish your credentials to your mutual satisfaction.

You can laugh about it later. I was accused of being a spotter on PPRuNe once. I can laugh now, well a wry smile...........In fact it still rankles.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

xflyer wrote: »
    ....... As a pilot, (I would say that;)). I pride myself on spotting a Walt. I went back through the thread and I have to say that if XWB is a Walt, then he's good, very good. Too good actually because he clearly isn't a fake......
    Seconded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

I have received lots of pms about this so took my time in opening. This thread was doing great until the age-old credentials debate came up again. "I'm a pilot, prove you are" or "no way that procedure is wrong". Seen it so many times now, I've been reading this forum for a long time and since day one it has often popped up. Regular posters have come and gone but there's a general knowladge of who's who much like regulars at a bar and sometimes the pilot norm seems disrupted and everyone wants to know who each other is.

What I much rather enjoy is talk about Aviation and other more important things in life then who you think you or the pixel pilots are. Sure some might respond that have read their answers from textbooks or their own interpretation of a fact but such is life on an internet forum.

What I asked for this thread was that commercial pilots reply to questions that are written by anyone else. I asked for type rating and hours to be posted as well, perhaps it should be with each post. It lends some credability. If you think Pilot X is actually not real then by all means do as Xflyer suggests and yarn via PM, the purpose of this thread is a forum for non-pilots to pick your brains and learn about your lifestyle.

We could go on for pages questionning who's who but at the end of the day lets just get on with the subject at hand. Take the identity stuff to the world of private messaging. We know if people have dual accounts.

I'll repost the origonal post, lets please get back on track I was enjoying the read here folks

pclancy wrote: »
    This thread is for people who are interested in a commercial career in flying to ask a qualified commercial pilot questions about their daily lives, technical/system questions, career guidance, licencing, how best to become an airline pilot etc

Over time it will become full of good nuggets of information and serve as a good reference point for people wanting a career in the flight deck.

It is not intended for general discussion, general aviation or PPL questions, chit-chat, discussion of sensitive hr/corporate airline information or anything that could break the A&A forum charter.

Asking Questions: Please only post if you are asking or answering a question so as to keep it nice and tidy. commercial pilots are requested to include their licence type, relevant rating held and hours in their response ie ATPL(F), 738, 500. I don't expect you to divulge your airline or personal details but at least it might serve as some proof to your credentials

We'll see how it goes and sticky if its busy enough.

Ok, to get back on topic, here's a question, stolen from my favourite aviation magazine, PC Pilot.....only joking Aeroplane Monthly.

Can you think of a moment when you looked from the cockpit and thought. 'This is it, this is what flying is all about?'

I can think of a couple. Skimming the top of a layer of cloud that looked almost like solid ground painted orange and red by the setting sun being one. Another was flying high over Sligo Bay on a bright spring day after a harsh winter. The bright blue water water contrasting with the brown land and snow on the hills made it look anywhere but lreland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Although there's a lot of automation on modern aircraft, what are the essentials that you have on you or in your flight case when you step into the cockpit?

Also, for wannabes looking for their first job (and also if you guys are applying for a new job) what level of technical knowledge is expected of you in your interview? Is it an understanding of how the onboard systems work, or do you really need to know what the ratio arm in a machmeter does??

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

Lustrum wrote: »
    Although there's a lot of automation on modern aircraft, what are the essentials that you have on you or in your flight case when you step into the cockpit?

Also, for wannabes looking for their first job (and also if you guys are applying for a new job) what level of technical knowledge is expected of you in your interview? Is it an understanding of how the onboard systems work, or do you really need to know what the ratio arm in a machmeter does??

License, passport, torch, logbook, spare glasses, sun glasses, hi-viz and pens. In winter I'll have our winter ops manual and some other cheat sheets to save me looking something up for ages in the manuals etc. That's about it really no need for much more.

First job. I'd be able to identify different types of aircraft visually. I've been asked that before. General weather, principles of flying, and the systems of the aircraft you currently fly whether it be a C152 or a A320.

License, passport, torch, logbook, spare glasses, sun glasses, hi-viz and pens. In winter I'll have our winter ops manual and some other cheat sheets to save me looking something up for ages in the manuals etc. That's about it really no need for much more.

First job. I'd be able to identify different types of aircraft visually. I've been asked that before. General weather, principles of flying, and the systems of the aircraft you currently fly whether it be a C152 or a A320.

Are the ops manuals kept in the cockpits all the time? As in where do you get the emergency checklists when you have to shut down an engine?

What about weather reports, SIDs and STARs, maps etc or is all that taken care of in the navigation equipment?

Are the ops manuals kept in the cockpits all the time? As in where do you get the emergency checklists when you have to shut down an engine?

What about weather reports, SIDs and STARs, maps etc or is all that taken care of in the navigation equipment?

We have the manuals on laptops. Other airlines have them in big binders and that weigh alot. I think Emirates took out all their binders and replaced with laptops and saved 25kg per aircraft. But that could be a wrong it's just something I heard.

Emergency checklists are in your head mostly. Like for engine shutdown it's a memory item. The checklists for emergencys are found in a QRH (quick reference handbook) which has a checklists for emergencys in them but most have actions you do before referencing them.

Weather we get every morning with flight plans. All the plates are kept in the cockpit. One set for each person. They should read the same as what's in the planes systems and there is a plate for every airport that appears on the navigation screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No usually, I had all my approach charts, STARs, SIDs, Airway maps and various paperwork, torch..some 1st aid stuff, bottle of water...various odds and ends...bit like a woman's handbag actually...

XWB wrote: »
    No usually, I had all my approach charts, STARs, SIDs, Airway maps and various paperwork, torch..some 1st aid stuff, bottle of water...various odds and ends...bit like a woman's handbag actually...

I'm curious as to why you would carry your own charts? Was there not a set in the aircraft that would be updated regularly or were they given to every individual? (I'm not doubting you if my question comes across badly)

Do you want to trust someone else to update the charts? Also it would mean the Technical publications person would have to access all the aircraft at some point to update the Jeppys or is it Aerad?

In fact they do as it happens to update the other manuals. I was that person once. Revising manuals was not fun. Imagine a set of 20 volumes, each 5 inches thick and having to update them with a stack of pages a foot high. :eek: Ok those were overhaul manual and weren't on board the aircraft but you know what I mean.

Better the pilot to update his own. That way he's aware of any changes before he pulls it out for a brief and if he isn't it's his own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

I'm curious as to why you would carry your own charts? Was there not a set in the aircraft that would be updated regularly or were they given to every individual? (I'm not doubting you if my question comes across badly)

There was yes.

But I just always prefer to have my own copies just incase. There were occasions where the required chart was not there and I had to root in my bag. One that jumps to mind is the VOR DME 34 Approach at Dublin. I remember we had that once only to find it wasnt in the set of charts. I also had my 1:500,000 with me always just incase we were VFR..dont ask me why..?;)

I used to always dig out the AIP of our destination and have a look for updates..and photocopy any new charts so I could study them at home to get familier. I'm just one of those people that likes to have his own set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

So pilots have you ever met another pilot who became a commercial pilot after trainig in the air corps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

FionnK86 wrote: »
    So pilots have you ever met another pilot who became a commercial pilot after trainig in the air corps?

There are lots, not sure if you think they might be a rare beast but it's a very common thing to leave the air corps and go 'commercial'.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boeingboy

What have I inside my flight bag? For one its not a Doctors case, I use a small rucksack, more practical.

A paper or 2, ipod, 3 fones, chocalate, licences both passports. Car key for US car, car key for Irish car......... both bangers.
    Torch small maglite, folder with various fone numbers as I can use phone on aircraft if outside acars range.
    Oh and packet of cigarettes.

Certainly no charts, all electronic FB in my shower.
    Oh and some "nice" reading looking material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

Plowman wrote: »
    If physical manuals have become obsolete, are those distinctive pilot briefcases fairly empty these days?

high_quality_leather_pilots_case.jpg

Lunch,logbook,torch,high vis jacket, pilot atlas,folder full of company forms and nice to know tit-bits,passport,license, some panadol, otrovine in case of blocked sinus,
    Sunglasses, regular glasses, pens from various hotels.
    I never thought of it as being like a woman's hand bag but when you list it out....

FionnK86 wrote: »

At least 6 that I can think of off the top of my head.

.....I think Emirates took out all their binders and replaced with laptops and saved 25kg per aircraft. But that could be a wrong it's just something I heard.
    I did read the EK decided to remove the inflight mag from their A380 and have all the content contained in the IFE system. Apparently saved a metric ton per aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

boeingboy wrote: »
    Oh and packet of cigarettes.

How do you manage to survive flying TA every day and not having a fag? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boeingboy

I dont fly transatlantic every day. 3 returns per month, not that long. Also 2 east coast to west coast. 1 trans pacific shorty from west coast. Finished. 80 hrs per month max.
    Cigs dont bother me, not addicted just enjoy. But I do know people that go under the floor at door L1 to smoke on 767. Electronics bay.
    Live Ireland work outside. Best of both worlds. No interest in working for any Irish company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Pens, iPad, sunglasses, regular glasses, logbook, clipboard, headset, novel, magazines and various other bits of cr*p!

With us, paper copies in the cockpit of the OM-A, OM-C, FCOM 1, MEL and DGG, QRH, approach plates and airways charts. They are aircraft copies and stay onboard all the time. They are updated by groundstaff.
    The other manuals and also the approach plates can be accessed through the EFB's. We can use the approach and airways charts from the EFB's if the Nav Database is current, but sometimes it isn't. Then we revert to the paper ones.
    SIDs, STARs are coded in the FMS nav database. But they must be backed up by the approach plates. It's not unknown for Jeppesen/Honeywell etc to make a mistake on the database updates. For example, this month, some of the airways in Kuwaiti airspace changed, but they didn't inform Honeywell in time. Therefore when we downlink the flightplan into the FMS during setup, there is a route discontinuity message. It is mentioned in our company notams in the briefing package instructing us to manually link up certain waypoints.
    Weather TAFs, METARs, NOTAMs and SigMets are provided in the briefing pack. For a short flight this is all that it is needed. On longer flights, we can get the latest ones through ACARS.

Checklists are divided into Normal and Non-Normal. For us, all checklists are accessed through the ECL (electronic checklist). It's a smart system, controlled through the MFD by the mouse cursor. It also has a feedback loop so it knows switch positions etc. There is also a back up paper QRH containing them all.
    Some checklists are memory items. That means you must be able to do them from memory when needed. Items like engine fire, cabin alt, unreliable airspeed, dual engine fail and others.
    Supplementary procedures are another form of checklist. These are in FCOM 1 and deal with less used scenarios such as de-icing, packs off takeoffs, thrust bump etc. Basically read and do guides to configuring the aircraft.
    Do you want to trust someone else to update the charts? Also it would mean the Technical publications person would have to access all the aircraft at some point to update the Jeppys or is it Aerad?
    See above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭brennarr

First of all I have to say thanks to all the contributors to the thread, its very enjoyable to read

I flew to Orlando via Paris on Sept 10th, 3 weeks ago. I was boarded on the plane along with a few others when we were all asked to promptly to leave the aircraft as a suspicious package was found on the plane (777-300er)

After about 4-5 hours, bomb squads and sniffer dogs searching the plane and all passengers going through security screening again we got the 'all clear' and we took off as normal without too much information divulged.

My question is who makes the final decision to continue with the flight? Does the pilot make the ultimate decision and take full responsibility?

On another note I enjoyed the front facing camera on the Air France plane to allow the passengers have the pilots view on take-off and landing. Very interesting to see how the runway is viewed on approach to landing

Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Do you watch "Air Crash Investigation"?

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Do you watch "Air Crash Investigation"?

Always, even before I was a pilot I liked it.

For us wannabes, what tips can you give for securing that elusive first job? Is it worth our while joining the likes of IALPA or the IPA in order to help get a job, or when you have 250 hours and a CPL/IR are you just out there on your own against all the rest of the guys with the same licences?

Lustrum wrote:
    Is it worth our while joining the likes of IALPA or the IPA in order to help get a job, or when you have 250 hours and a CPL/IR are you just out there on your own against all the rest of the guys with the same licences?

I can't see how membership of IALPA or the IPA will help you get a job, except perhaps through getting to know some of the right people but getting to find those people is like finding a needle in a hay stack and the only real shoulder rubbing affair to meet is the IALPA annual dinner, where all the pilots are busy getting as many pints in as is possible.
    So basically the answer is No.

Membership matters once you get the job.

So any tips then?

So any tips then?

Do what I did, wear your lucky underpants to the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Do you want to trust someone else to update the charts? .

In our airline, the charts are 3 sealed "bricks", containing only the plates we need for arrivals, such as STAR, approach and airport charts. No need for SID's, as they can be printed by the handling agents...thus making the ships library smaller, cheaper to update and lighter

I would assume if the FCOMs, FCI's, OM and charts are out of date in your airline, you must seriously be stressed at the possibility of a SAFA inspection down-route? These are all legal documents which must be onboard the aircraft

• Advertisement

Don't work for an airline.

So any tips then?

I wouldn't join any of those. But saying that I find it's not what you know (you still need to be good) but more who you know. I got both my jobs through chance encounters with people and jumping at an opportunity even when I wasn't ready/eligible for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

I wouldn't join any of those. But saying that I find it's not what you know (you still need to be good) but more who you know. I got both my jobs through chance encounters with people and jumping at an opportunity even when I wasn't ready/eligible for the role.

Yep, it all about the connections you have, that's why I found it invaluable to train in Ireland, most examiners and quite a few instructors you meet are in the airlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

This is a fairly "out there" question....

If a plane is flying at a very high altitude compared to a plane flying at low altitude does it cover more km's due to the curvature of the earth?

Sitec wrote: »
    This is a fairly "out there" question....

If a plane is flying at a very high altitude compared to a plane flying at low altitude does it cover more km's due to the curvature of the earth?

It's a great question.

I don't think so.
    But then I do not the physics/engineering background to know so. I see the logic behind your question though.
    At high level higher speed can be achieved. But I don't think that was what you were referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Sitec wrote: »

I don't see why not. Theoretically...

... assuming the earth is perfectly spherical and 21,600NM in it's circumference I calculate that for a constant altitude, you would have to fly over 300,000 feet in order to achieve 1NM extra in distance flown for every 100NM travelled over the surface of the earth.

At 35,000 feet though, it would only be around 0.3NM per 100NM. That would mean DUB-JFK would be about an extra 8NM at that altitude.

That was fun! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

Great threat guys thanks. would love to be a pilot!!

howcome only some planes leave white fluffy lines behind them in the sky ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

For any Airbus captains how do you find the transition from co-pilot where the "joystick" is controlled by your right hand to captain where the joystick is controlled by your left hand?

how does this impact a landing or even in flight maneuvers? Are they "rougher" for a while then if you had been in the co-pilot seat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

eimear10 wrote: »
    Great threat guys thanks. would love to be a pilot!!

Same way you can see your breath on cold days. Hot air from engines meets cold air, just on a large scale. The air gets colder the higher up you go, so you don't see much if any contrails from engines at low altitude. Generally 18,000ft and below. Above 20-25,000ft you generally will see trails.

• Advertisement

As CC says and it's only if the temperature is below -40 and there's moisture present. Some some days there's no trail and some days there are a lot. I saw several high aircraft yesterday not leaving a trail at all. Either that or they were UFOs:eek:

amen wrote: »
    For any Airbus captains how do you find the transition from co-pilot where the "joystick" is controlled by your right hand to captain where the joystick is controlled by your left hand?

how does this impact a landing or even in flight maneuvers? Are they "rougher" for a while then if you had been in the co-pilot seat?

I'm not a captain yet. But I can guarantee you that it's hard to transition. I've been beside a few new captains who slam it in. I also want to point out that the landings are safe/within limits and technically a softer landing can be more dangerous cause you're using up runway etc......well that's some of the excuses they use! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Enjoying the thread...thanks..:)

What factors make a "bumpy landing"- was on a flight this week and the landing into Dublin Airport felt like very bad turbulence - was starting to get a little worried...it was just before or when the wheels hit the runway...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

From all your experience what would you say the ratio is for female and male pilots?

It's the same for any pilot whether airline or not. A good stabilised approach leads to a good landing. Factors against a good stabilised approach are turbulence, high winds, gusts and a crosswind at the limit. Of my 12 landings the other day in all of the above, two or three ended with a falling out of the sky feeling. The rest were distinctly average except for the last one when the wind had calmed down a bit. It's a bit of a lottery whether you get hit by the the downdraft at the crucial moment. Of couse my thing is a bit lighter than any airliner so they would be less affected. But they fly in conditions where I'm at home with my feet up watching 'Ice Pilots' or something.

eimear10 wrote: »
    From all your experience what would you say the ratio is for female and male pilots?
    It's supposed to be between 7 and 10% last I read up on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

hi ive a question as a pilot for example with Ryanair could you work shifts that will guarantee you will be home again that night for bed.rather then a cheap hotel in lanzarote or whatever destination you get stuck at ?

A.G.S wrote: »
    hi ive a question as a pilot for example with Ryanair could you work shifts that will guarantee you will be home again that night for bed.rather then a cheap hotel in lanzarote or whatever destination you get stuck at ?

Most low cost airlines/short haul get you home every night. Stopping over and having to pay for hotels and taxis costs alot if you have a crew doing it every day. I'm pretty sure ryanair don't do stopovers.

Other low cost and/or short haul airlines do night stops. You land either in the morning/afternoon and depart early the next morning or arrive late in the evening and leave later the next day. That's usually how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Most low cost airlines/short haul get you home every night. Stopping over and having to pay for hotels and taxis costs alot if you have a crew doing it every day. I'm pretty sure ryanair don't do stopovers.

Other low cost and/or short haul airlines do night stops. You land either in the morning/afternoon and depart early the next morning or arrive late in the evening and leave later the next day. That's usually how it works.

Thanks for answering my question I'm only doing my ppl but wanna make a career outta it but have a young family and would not like to be leaving them alot

Ahem, one thing you can virtually guarantee with an airline career or indeed any pilot job is that you'll be leaving your family a lot. Ryanair pilots for example, almost invariably get back to their home base at night. But home base may not be home. Your home base can be anywhere they need you. So you could end up based in Tenerife for example, you won't get back home until your roster is finished. You can get a base near home but once made up to Captain you're on the move again.

For any airline once you get a permanent base you can move your family there. Not always an option though.

It's not a family friendly career.

Ahem, one thing you can virtually guarantee with an airline career or indeed any pilot job is that you'll be leaving your family a lot......

It's not a family friendly career.
    An oft overlooked downside to modern commercial aviation.

It may not matter when you are in your early 20's but once you hit 30 homelife increases in importance (for most people anyway)

• Advertisement
Advertisement