Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a pretend football country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

England = football
    Ireland = soccer

Ireland =also Football... there fixed it for you.

FAI > FOOTBALL Association of Ireland
    IRFU > Irish Rugby FOOTBALL Union

They have Soccer in American, everywhere else its FOOTBALL

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That is the national stadium so how is it in any way relevant to Bohs and their situation. You slyly left Albanian national team out of the list of tenants

It’s a stadium... where two clubs share tenancy.... I ‘slyly’ left ? Hardly, we are discussing club stadia, this is a stadium where two clubs are tenants... it’s an appropriate example of what could be achieved here on a smaller scale. As I posted...” Something lower spec for about 30 million, 11,000 seats is what’s required”

It shows that a stylish, comfortable and modern stadium with appeal to supporters, their comfort and enjoyment of the game can be achievable.... more bums on seats = more revenue... build the club sport here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Croke Park, the Aviva, Semple Stadium, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Castlebar, Thomond, various racecourses, etc. Plenty of fine infrastructure which took ambition to build/upgrade.

Literally every other sport in the country can get their act together, put plans in place, raise money themselves and then put the hand out for a few bob from the government. Meanwhile soccer people moan that everything hasn’t been handed to them on a plate and accuse others of lacking ambition. Smh.

Semple isn’t an impressive stadium unless they’ve done serious improvements which I’ve not heard of, it’s a big crap stadium with no serious entertainment facilities.

The Pairc was just built when the rugby World Cup inspectors said it would need to be upgraded to be up for hosting games in the World Cup.

Racecourses - yes, we have very good racecourses, studs etc. It’s the one international sport we are really really high performers at. If Ireland were at the same standard at soccer that they were at horse racing we’d be world beaters.

Ultimately if we don’t invest publicly and privately Irish football is going nowhere. Get busy living or get busy dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Leo and MeHole using the Euros as a get out of jail card.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Semple isn’t an impressive stadium unless they’ve done serious improvements which I’ve not heard of, it’s a big crap stadium with no serious entertainment facilities.

The Pairc was just built when the rugby World Cup inspectors said it would need to be upgraded to be up for hosting games in the World Cup.

Racecourses - yes, we have very good racecourses, studs etc. It’s the one international sport we are really really high performers at. If Ireland were at the same standard at soccer that they were at horse racing we’d be world beaters.

Ultimately if we don’t invest publicly and privately Irish football is going nowhere. Get busy living or get busy dying.

But there has been investment. Millions of it.capital grants for clubs. Support for the FAI, UEFA.

I agree with the idea of build it and they will come but its already been built. Aviva Tallaght stadium for example.

Has investment in those led to significant increases in support?

LOI is a minority sport, particularly compared to Rugby and GAA. There is not justification to spend millions of taxpayers money, more millions, building fancy stadiums for a league the vast majority of people are not interested in.

Do not confuse football supporters for LOI supporters. Football supporters, those that follow UK teams, National Team, are plenty. And are well catered for.

LOI average attendance is less than 2k, S Rovers get something like 3k in a new, including public funds investment, stadium. There is no capacity issue with Tallaght Stadium.

The support just isn't there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s a stadium... where two clubs share tenancy.... I ‘slyly’ left ? Hardly, we are discussing club stadia, this is a stadium where two clubs are tenants... it’s an appropriate example of what could be achieved here on a smaller scale. As I posted...” Something lower spec for about 30 million, 11,000 seats is what’s required”

It shows that a stylish, comfortable and modern stadium with appeal to supporters, their comfort and enjoyment of the game can be achievable.... more bums on seats = more revenue... build the club sport here.

Move Bohs and Shels to Lansdowne then because that is the equivalent to what you are proposing with Albania.

There is absolutely no comparison between what Bohs can achieve and what Albania can build for the national stadium

The Albanian stuff is impressive but I wouldn't be going too much on the costs, it would easily be 10x that here factoring in prices and after all the paws get well greased.

Anyway, you could have that stadium here and people still wouldn't go. I don't think there's anything that will get people away from the EPL to the League of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ireland =also Football... there fixed it for you.

FAI > FOOTBALL Association of Ireland
    IRFU > Irish Rugby FOOTBALL Union

They have Soccer in American, everywhere else its FOOTBALL

Except in Italy where its Calcio which is the only country in Europe I know of where the name doesnt derive from foot or ball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Anyway, you could have that stadium here and people still wouldn't go. I don't think there's anything that will get people away from the EPL to the League of Ireland.

Despite all the whinging over the super league last week.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Despite all the whinging over the super league last week.

Exactly. The LOI could cease existence tomorrow and you wouldn't come close to the crying that went on over the threat to the EPL here in the past week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Croke Park, the Aviva, Semple Stadium, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Castlebar, Thomond, various racecourses, etc. Plenty of fine infrastructure which took ambition to build/upgrade.

Literally every other sport in the country can get their act together, put plans in place, raise money themselves and then put the hand out for a few bob from the government. Meanwhile soccer people moan that everything hasn’t been handed to them on a plate and accuse others of lacking ambition. Smh.

As i've said before thi is the problem. I know of a lo of clubs who just won't do anything for themselves. When it cmes to LOI clubs the biggest issues is wasting money. More often than not when clubs get money they'll spend it on players/wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Do not confuse football supporters for LOI supporters. Football supporters, those that follow UK teams, National Team, are plenty. And are well catered for.

By the same token, don’t confuse match-going supporters with people that watch on streams and in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Every GAA ground in the country has a great big ~140m x ~90m entertainment facility - it's called the pitch. When you go to watch 70 minutes of hurling, you don't need any other pointless bells and whistles.

Every GAA ground in the country has a great big ~140m x ~90m entertainment facility - it's called the pitch. When you go to watch 70 minutes of hurling, you don't need any other pointless bells and whistles.

With the greatest of respect that’s not how sport works in most developed countries anymore. You have to create a product that appeals to kids, to families meaning quality eating and drinking facilities. That there are bells and whistles and a feeling that you are attending a bit of a show.

Again with respect your post is an illustration of why Irish people, I find, don’t really understand sport spectating in the modern age. It’s moved on from just going to the crappy rundown stadium to see a match. In most countries anyway. Ireland is in a time warp.

Albania aren’t the Jones’s. They are the family who need the help of the Vincent the Paul to make ends meet.

Tbf to the Albanians, they'd probably be better off if the money invested in stadia was invested in educational facilities to lift them out of poverty but shambolic states don't actually want to educate their populations for fear they'll wise up to how badly they are being treated.

That we should compare ourselves to Albania is a bizarre concept to me, tbh.

That's not to say Dalymount shouldn't be a more ambitious plan but ultimately the FAI have spunked away millions after millions with nothing to show for it. That's solely on them and not on anyone else tbh.

With the greatest of respect that’s not how sport works in most developed countries anymore. You have to create a product that appeals to kids, to families meaning quality eating and drinking facilities. That there are bells and whistles and a feeling that you are attending a bit of a show.

Again with respect your post is an illustration of why Irish people, I find, don’t really understand sport spectating in the modern age. It’s moved on from just going to the crappy rundown stadium to see a match. In most countries anyway. Ireland is in a time warp.

That post was somewhat tongue in cheek. But seriously, I don't see why people need or want "entertainment facilities" when going to watch a match.

Most of these grounds, you can get a cup of tea and a sandwich or a mars bar. Even in the kippiest county grounds (I'd know - see my username) the toilets are now generally clean, have soap etc.

And the GAA with these so called basic facilities does perfectly fine attracting crowds with plenty of children. Football attendances are trending downwards for years but that's nothing to do with the "entertainment facilities" and everything to do with the quality of the product and the price of tickets. Hurling attendances are holding up just grand.

And if people just want pints, they can GTFO to the pub. Having loads of drinking going on certainly doesn't help the family friendliness of any establishment.

Tbf to the Albanians, they'd probably be better off if the money invested in stadia was invested in educational facilities to lift them out of poverty but shambolic states don't actually want to educate their populations for fear they'll wise up to how badly they are being treated.

That we should compare ourselves to Albania is a bizarre concept to me, tbh.

That's not to say Dalymount shouldn't be a more ambitious plan but ultimately the FAI have spunked away millions after millions with nothing to show for it. That's solely on them and not on anyone else tbh.

I picked Albania because it is the poorest country in Europe along with Moldova. You can compare Ireland to any similar country such as Czech, slovakia, Scotland, Hungary, Cyprus etc and our stadiums are far worst.

We are the poor relation.

That post was somewhat tongue in cheek. But seriously, I don't see why people need or want "entertainment facilities" when going to watch a match.

Most of these grounds, you can get a cup of tea and a sandwich or a mars bar. Even in the kippiest county grounds (I'd know - see my username) the toilets are now generally clean, have soap etc.

And the GAA with these so called basic facilities does perfectly fine attracting crowds with plenty of children. Football attendances are trending downwards for years but that's nothing to do with the "entertainment facilities" and everything to do with the quality of the product and the price of tickets. Hurling attendances are holding up just grand.

And if people just want pints, they can GTFO to the pub. Having loads of drinking going on certainly doesn't help the family friendliness of any establishment.

Ok, generally clean toilets, tae and Mars bars, lucky us. What a night out. You want a few pints? Ah fcuk off to the pub, we don’t want your money thanks very much.

You don’t really get it. Which is fine.

I picked Albania because it is the poorest country in Europe along with Moldova. You can compare Ireland to any similar country such as Czech, slovakia, Scotland, Hungary, Cyprus etc and our stadiums are far worst.

We are the poor relation.

We aren't the poor relation, we're the rich relation who spent all the money on strippers and coke and high living rather than make sensible investments. The FAI are broke now but that's after decades of mismanagement. And even now, despite being broke, they'll be bailed out.

Ok, generally clean toilets, tae and Mars bars, lucky us. What a night out. You want a few pints? Ah fcuk off to the pub, we don’t want your money thanks very much.

I obviously don't. Needing drink to watch a match is not in the GAA's culture.

I also don't get why Albania are so great when we've got 13 stadiums bigger than their biggest and I know for a fact that at least two of them have all these entertainment facilities that are so vital.

• Advertisement

I obviously don't. Needing drink to watch a match is not in the GAA's culture.

Yes the Irish don’t have a drinking culture, we have a Mars bar culture.

We aren't the poor relation, we're the rich relation who spent all the money on strippers and coke and high living rather than make sensible investments. The FAI are broke now but that's after decades of mismanagement. And even now, despite being broke, they'll be bailed out.

Irish football was never rich. It was poor to the point of being poverty stricken. In almost any era beside the Charlton one.

Yes the Irish don’t have a drinking culture, we have a Mars bar culture.

Not drinking at matches =/= no drinking culture.

The GAA got by over 100 years of people going to matches with no pints available at the ground. We still get by going to matches with no pints available at almost all GAA grounds.

And like seriously, who bases their decision to go to a match on whether there's booze available?

Irish football was never rich. It was poor to the point of being poverty stricken. In almost any era beside the Charlton one.

If you haven't already (though I suspect you have) read Champagne Football about John Delaney's tenure. The waste will appal you. Chancers like him seem endemic in Irish football which is where most of the money appears to have gone.

And like seriously, who bases their decision to go to a match on whether there's booze available?

Germans

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So people don't go to LOI matches because the half time entertainment isn't good enough? Or the selection in the sweet shop isn't good enough?

The attendance numbers tell you all you need to know. LOI doesn't have the level of support. You can bang on about other countries, about UK football teams, about GAA etc. But none of it changes the fundamental issue that LOI is a very poorly supported product.

And it is given every advantage. Prime Time TV slots. Wide media coverage. Government funding. That you personally like it and that others do as well is great, but asking for the wider public to fund your minority sport, when it is already given many multiples of other sports seems fanciful.

Saying build it and they will come, is easy. Everyone can claim that. Build a velodrome and people will come. Hockey grounds. Swimming and Diving centres etc etc.

The FAI, the clubs themselves, need to come up with a plan to actually deliver more supporters. Do that and there will be a demand for more funding to cope with the increase.

It won't happen overnight. It is a 10, 15 maybe 20 year project. And you don't need the stadiums first, you need to proper structures, the proper foundations. How to get football more integrated into the community. How to get more children going to matches, which of course brings the parents.

Each Premier club should be tasked with increasing attendances over the next 5 years. Give targets. Invest in delivering them.

Get previous ELP stars as managers, as at least involved.

The FAI, not the fans, have caused serious issues and they will take a while to resolve. But while it isn't the fans fault, it needs to be acknowledged that a huge amount of funds, and goodwill, has been wasted and things need to start from scratch almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

There's plenty of time to go to the pub before and after games. Who wants to be standing up every 3 minutes so that everyone in the row can get to and from the bar or the jacks every five minutes. And I say that as a big drinker. The game lasts 70 minutes, if you can't go an hour or two without drinking you shouldn't be around kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

There is a real mismatch with the examples being put forward.

A ground like Semple Stadium, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Castlebar and the like, which are used a handful of times (with enough of a crowd) in any given year and are empty otherwise cannot be compared with something like a premier league ground that is used as a base of operations for what is realistically a multinational corporation and is responsible for real revenue generation on 20-30 occasions per year.

Even somewhere like Thomond Park is a very basic setup and that is a base for a professional team.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    There is a real mismatch with the examples being put forward.

A ground like Semple Stadium, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Castlebar and the like, which are used a handful of times (with enough of a crowd) in any given year and are empty otherwise cannot be compared with something like a premier league ground that is used as a base of operations for what is realistically a multinational corporation and is responsible for real revenue generation on 20-30 occasions per year.

Even somewhere like Thomond Park is a very basic setup and that is a base for a professional team.

Yeah but for some reason if we had a pile of 50k seater stadiums with loads of bars in them all over the country for all the three major organisations, people will come. Despite there only being 7 million people on the island.

We know this because Albania have a stadium that fits 23k people where there's pints for all.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Each Premier club should be tasked with increasing attendances over the next 5 years. Give targets. Invest in delivering them.

Get previous ELP stars as managers, as at least involved.

With whose money?

Advertisement