Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meghan & Harry: WE QUIT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I'll hedge my bets that she gets a gig hosting on the Today Show in NYC and they become America's royal darlings. He'll spend his days golfing with some lucrative side gigs, movie cameos, investing in startups. Bit of the charity work to keep the public image.

She'll eventually realise she doesn't need him and will get bored and leave him and he'll crawl back to the Buckingham boyos with his tail between his legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Strazdas wrote: »
    Given their huge media profile, it would be very easy for them to make a living, whether setting up something themselves or working for an established organisation.

Couple that with the chattels and investments that Harry has inherited via his Mother and will inherit from his father that are not part of the crown estates.

He, indeed they won't be short a few Bob.

Be interesting to see what happens with Frogmore Cottage?
    And what security measures will be in place for an "ex-royal" should they move abroad.

Very interesting target for certain segments of society that even Harry pulling a Jack Ryan won't prevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    She can quit if she wants but how can he quit as a senior royal ? In the not to distant future his father will become king and then his brother and nephew.

There's no legal status of 'senior royal'. Being a member of the British royal family isn't a job per se.

Just because he's whatever number in line to the throne he is doesn't mean he has to live in the UK full-time.

In the extremely unlikely event that all the potential heirs to the throne ahead of him die before he does, he's obviously not going to accept being king in any case.

https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1215004931243032576

Now that's an interesting statement

NSAman wrote: »
    It will save the British tax payer some money!

Have you ever been in a queue to get into the Palace of Versailles? Now that's a real money spinner!

Off with their heads, turn the palaces and castles into state-owned museums/venues!

The grisly tales of their last days and execution would just add to the appeal for visitors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

bitofabind wrote: »

Seems like they jumped the gun saying they were leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Seems like Harry, who used to be very close to his brother and sister in law, is now completely estranged from them and the rest of the family. I wonder what really happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

CFlat wrote: »
    What is it about American women taking English Princes away from their family:pac:
    Oooooooohhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Seems like Harry, who used to be very close to his brother and sister in law, is now completely estranged from them and the rest of the family. I wonder what really happened.

Well I think Megan is getting the blame for the rift!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

That sentence is a grammar nazi’s wet dream.

Theirs nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

pc7 wrote: »
    I don’t get this argument, the amount of tourism the royals bring into UK is massive. I would have thought they are well covering their costs.

The royals themselves aren't bringing in the tourists, you don't get to meet them. Versailles gets more visitors than any of the British sites long after they consigned their monarchy to history.

https://twitter.com/JonnyDymond/status/1215004349346308096

Jayzus. More drama than a Coronation Street Christmas special.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

matchthis wrote: »
    Seems to be a sound lad

I'm not fan of the royals but from the I've seen, I agree with you. The worst thing that I heard of him doing was wearing a nazi costume for fancy dress which in my opinion shouldn't have been that controversial - it was hardly an endorsement of the ideology and he was young lad at the time but tabloids gotta outrage. I never heard of him diddling kids or doing the dirt on a partner/spouse or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I can’t believe the Queen could countenance such treacherous behavior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'd say Stepford Kate didn't fancy being overshadowed by an American actress and never seemed to take to her.

Funny, Charles and the Queen always appeared quite fond of Meghan.

• Advertisement

Even how fast they engaged was soap style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

I, for one, support their decision.

But they should have followed the appropriate protocols before making an announcement.

I'd say Stepford Kate didn't fancy being overshadowed by an American actress and never seemed to take to her.

Funny, Charles and the Queen always appeared quite fond of Meghan.

Supposedly it was Megan who spilled the beans about Williams (alleged) affair and made it become public knowledge. Usually they are pretty good at keeping these things "within their circle" or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Footage has emerged of him informing the Queen.

dODC4OQAKMGj.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

The Queen and the Knights of the Round Table are probably frantically trying to figure out how they can get Meghan into a fast car driven by a drunk Frenchman without raising any unnecessary suspicion:pac:

• Advertisement

Footage has emerged of him informing the Queen.

dODC4OQAKMGj.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Supposedly it was Megan who spilled the beans about Williams (alleged) affair and made it become public knowledge. Usually they are pretty good at keeping these things "within their circle" or whatever

Looks like Kate still hasn't forgiven him either..

Asitis2019 wrote: »

But they should have followed the appropriate protocols before making an announcement.

I don't think Megan knows them!

Part of me wonders if a reckoning is approaching for the British royal family and that some in British high society know the writing's on the wall. With Brexit around the corner and a general feeling of uneasiness about where the UK is going, with the union itself potentially collapsing, I think the relevance of the monarchy is going to be seriously challenged in the coming years. There could be a crisis when the queen dies. She seems to be generally well-liked by the British public, but are the rest of them? The Prince Andrew scandal has done some damage, I think. Did Harry jump because he knows it's going to get messy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Maybe that's part of the problem,all those stupid protocols.

What protocols? Got a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

What protocols? Got a link?

Internal communication protocols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Christ I’ll have to listen to the Pierck Morgan tomorrow morning once the missus finds out.
    I do recall she saying something about him not on Thursdays but I’m sure the fat **** will show his face anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

PressRun wrote: »
    Part of me wonders if a reckoning is approaching for the British royal family and that some in British high society know the writing's on the wall. With Brexit around the corner and a general feeling of uneasiness about where the UK is going, with the union itself potentially collapsing, I think the relevance of the monarchy is going to be seriously challenged in the coming years. There could be a crisis when the queen dies. She seems to be generally well-liked by the British public, but are the rest of them? The Prince Andrew scandal has done some damage, I think. Did Harry jump because he knows it's going to get messy?

Though the counter argument is that Charles / Camilla and William / Kate are squeaky clean and have barely put a foot wrong in the last few years.

The monarchy would be at far greater risk if Harry and Meghan had been next in line to the throne and actually taken up the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

maybe harry voted against brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

pc7 wrote: »
    I don’t get this argument, the amount of tourism the royals bring into UK is massive. I would have thought they are well covering their costs.

Neither do I, 99.9% of tourists will never see a member of the royal family, both France and Italy get more tourists than the UK and neither have royal families.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Maybe an increasingly senile Prince Philip accidentally spilled the beans about "operation Paris tunnel."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PressRun wrote: »

Is she well liked or seen as a steadying influence ? I don’t know if Prince Charles is as hated as he seemed to be after diana died.

So seeing as Harry and Meghan are gone who’s on the subs bench to come in and fill there senior roles ? Andrews daughters or princess anne kids ? Someone in the firm is moving from intermediate to senior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Until they stop taking public money and work for their income, it’s all a PR stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Who gives a ****e

I'm not up on the Royal family news as I used to be.
    Has Megan first fallen out with most of her family and friends in the states.
    Then got married to Harry and he's done similar with his.
    Now they are leaving the Royal family.
    Or is that just people being over dramatic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Predictable? Or will live to regret it?

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1214979436396855296
    they specifically not quitting... can a prince abdicate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mooooo wrote: »
    Who gives a ****e

Well you clicked on the thread read the OP and commented, so you do clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

When u read the replies to piers Morgan’s tweet it’s no surprise Harry is jumping ship.the hatred towards Megan is phonomial,certainly the gutter tabloids have seen to that

boggerman1 wrote: »
    When u read the replies to piers Morgan’s tweet it’s no surprise Harry is jumping ship.the hatred towards Megan is phonomial,certainly the gutter tabloids have seen to that

apart from the thing with her father, what of that tabloid rubbish does she allow herself to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Blazer wrote: »
    Christ I’ll have to listen to the Pierck Morgan tomorrow morning once the missus finds out.
    I do recall she saying something about him not on Thursdays but I’m sure the fat **** will show his face anyway.

You need to sort your missus out. A Piers Morgan fan and a royal watcher? Did she fund raise for the Tans as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Even cnn are giving alerts about this. It seems like it was a solo run by Harry and Meghan and the mood inside buck house is “disappointment”

I'm not up on the Royal family news as I used to be.
    Has Megan first fallen out with most of her family and friends in the states.
    Then got married to Harry and he's done similar with his.
    Now they are leaving the Royal family.
    Or is that just people being over dramatic?

They aren't leaving the royal family, but they want to be able to make money from it which they cant do if they are full time working royals. So they are stepping back from public duties and being "senior" royals, apparently to set up a foundation along the lines of the Clinton's.

Yes she is estranged from most of her family, it's just her mother she speaks to I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Years ago I remember some UK celebs/musicians came to live in Dublin or Ireland to get away from the british press. They had more privacy and respect afforded to them here. The UK press hound everyone, like Fox news on speed.. and they called the shots with Brexit, tory wins over the years and labour fails. You name it, they have had a hand in it.

The pair of them know they can't win, so they're off. Good on 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Look it all appears to be annoying the ****e out of piers Morgan and the rest of that type of Brit.

So excellent work.thanks Harry top quality work wish the pair of you all the best.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is she well liked or seen as a steadying influence ? I don’t know if Prince Charles is as hated as he seemed to be after diana died.

So seeing as Harry and Meghan are gone who’s on the subs bench to come in and fill there senior roles ? Andrews daughters or princess anne kids ? Someone in the firm is moving from intermediate to senior.

I don't think he is hated either. But I don't know that anyone there is compelling enough a figure to continue to justify the existence of the whole thing if things were to become rocky for the royal family in public opinion. The queen held it together after Diana died when the royals last went through a period of unpopularity. I think another period could be approaching as Britain's future becomes more uncertain, especially after the queen dies.

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Years ago I remember some UK celebs/musicians came to live in Dublin or Ireland to get away from the british taxman.

Fixed that for you

does Harry have to apply for a visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That statement from Buckingham Palace was ill advised. All it has done is poured petrol on a fire that would have been out by midday tomorrow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement