Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did any of you ever get slapped as a child?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

As someone who got slapped when doing something wrong, I support it.

No child is going to learn by being sent to a naughty step.

Kids need to learn there is a punishment for wrong actions. Sending them to a step or corner is nonsense. There's no punishment there. If you break a rule in school you get sent to detention or given extra homework.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That's exactly how I feel about it. If someone wouldn't be happy for another adult to discipline their child by smacking, why is it ok for them?

It's kind of obvious why. A teacher could show bias. We all know teachers have favourites.

A parent also knows the force required to adequately punish them.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That's exactly how I feel about it. If someone wouldn't be happy for another adult to discipline their child by smacking, why is it ok for them?

I remember smacking my toddler on the back of the legs just once. It was barely a tap and he laughed in my face before going right back to the very thing I was trying to get him to stop dong so it was obviously a highly effective discipline tool. :rolleyes:

But I felt awful - I still feel awful about it. I knew that in that moment I smacked because I lost control. Because my anger and frustration were driving it, not his [perfectly normal for a toddler] behaviour. So I went and talked to a wise friend who is also a mother, and I found out a few things to try instead of that and one of them was effective. But I'll never forget that shame in realising I'd done what I vowed I'd never do.

Our lovely creche manager was blunt in saying that if you couldn't discipline or correct a child's behaviour as if their mother and father were standing right there, then childcare is not the career for you. And I figured if they can manage it, so should I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

rireland wrote: »
    As someone who got slapped when doing something wrong, I support it.

No child is going to learn by being sent to a naughty step.

Kids need to learn there is a punishment for wrong actions. Sending them to a step or corner is nonsense. There's no punishment there. If you break a rule in school you get sent to detention or given extra homework.

You're talking ****. Maybe your parental technique involves hitting your kids, but most others in 2019 don't. My eldest son was never hit and is constantly complimented on his behaviour.

Liamario wrote: »
    You're talking ****. Maybe your parental technique involves hitting your kids, but most others in 2019 don't. My eldest son was never hit and is constantly complimented on his behaviour.

What age is he?

• Advertisement

He's 7 now. His age is irrelevant. Kids are all completely different and can act up at any age.

Liamario wrote: »
    He's 7 now. His age is irrelevant. Kids are all completely different and can act up at any age.

7 is far too early to judge.

How do you punish him then?

Plenty of 7 years old lacking discipline.

There's no naughty step involved, that only really works when they're younger. But you do need to know what drives them, you need them to know consequences if they don't do as they're told and then there needs to be follow through when they misbehave. It's about consistency and a little bit of exceeding their expectations as to their punishment when they try it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Did he not apologise to you at the time?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Exerting you control by inflicting physical pain on small children is not an appropriate punishment. Anything is better than hitting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Exerting you control by inflicting physical pain on small children is not an appropriate punishment. Anything is better than hitting them.

Like calling children retarded and threatening to knock their teeth in? I know that’s not an example you were thinking at the time when you suggested that *anything* is better than hitting children.

The point I’m making is that discipline in any form is far more nuanced than the extremes being presented here as though “spare the rod, spoil the child” has any more legitimacy than “you were affected by it, you think it’s ok to hit people”.

I totally understand of course the perspective of people who say it is never appropriate for parents to smack their children and so on, but also from my perspective it is a perfectly appropriate form of discipline as any other form of discipline - outcomes will invariably vary depending upon a whole boatload of factors.

The idea that children who were never physically disciplined will become ferral anti-social types as adults has no more legitimacy than suggesting that children who are physically disciplined will become ferral anti-social types as adults. Clearly there are other factors which influence a child’s development into adulthood than simply how they were disciplined, smacked, abused, never laid a finger on, verbally or emotionally abused, time-out, naughty step, etc which determines outcomes as adults.

That is why we should not discuss such things in terms of absolutes _or_ individual anecdotes. No statement has legitimacy then if we are going to worry about the exceptions. That is why we do studies and research - to check the effects on groups as a whole.

And last time I checked - and last two times this subject came up on boards and certain pro-violence users were asked again and again for the evidence - only to never produce it and eventually run out of the threads - the general outcomes to violent discipline did not look too good in the studies people actually cited.

I would question too whether "intent" should be the primary focus of our evaluations here. Not to lean too heavily on the old cliche that the road to hell is paved with good intentions - the fact is people can do awful things with the right intentions. Actual outcomes studied over time should be more important than intention.

And if I catch a man - for example - engaging with his underage daughter in various forms of sexual play I am not about to listen to him tell me his "intention" was to introduce her slowly and carefully to the world of sex so she would be ready and educated on it for when she chooses a sexual partner. His intentions - even if genuine - be damned. I will be doing everything I can to ensure the eye of the law falls squarely on him. And for good reason.

People denying their children vaccinnes - or denying them parts of education like Christians do with Evolution in the US - or denying them education at all like the Amish and others have been accused of - likely have great and well meant and genuine good intentions too.

Leaving everything up to the intentions of the parents is not a good approach I fear. With the best of intentions people can do the worst things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Is 39 ok for you to judge then ? My kids were never slapped . They are now adults with their own kids and are kind , generous , respectful and hard working . Parenting is hard work , a lot of time , input , listening and guiding but at no stage did we need to slap a child to do as told .

Actually even at 6 my own daughter came home from a friends house who she had witnessed being slapped. In her own words she described it to me and her confusion. But it amounted to essentially her observing - even at age 6 - that her friend now knew not to do it again (whatever it was that earned her the slap) - but not at all why they should not be doing it.

She was confused by the experience because she spoke to her friend once the parent had left and they talked about why the friend was slapped. Neither of them could figure out what was actually wrong with what the child did. The child pretty much knew not to do it again - to avoid a slap - but learned absolutely nothing from the experience more than that.

I can very much understand why people are against using violence as _part_ of parenting and discipline - and the research and studies seem to support their concerns. However parents who use the violence _as_ the parenting and discipline such as the scenario above - should be subject to a whole level of ire and derision way beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's telling when people will slap their kid to correct it, but wouldn't dream of hitting their dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Actually even at 6 my own daughter came home from a friends house who she had witnessed being slapped. In her own words she described it to me and her confusion. But it amounted to essentially her observing - even at age 6 - that her friend now knew not to do it again (whatever it was that earned her the slap) - but not at all why they should not be doing it.

She was confused by the experience because she spoke to her friend once the parent had left and they talked about why the friend was slapped. Neither of them could figure out what was actually wrong with what the child did. The child pretty much knew not to do it again - to avoid a slap - but learned absolutely nothing from the experience more than that.

I can very much understand why people are against using violence as _part_ of parenting and discipline - and the research and studies seem to support their concerns. However parents who use the violence _as_ the parenting and discipline such as the scenario above - should be subject to a whole level of ire and derision way beyond that.

Amazes me that they are developed enough to be able to have such a clear conversation about it at their age, really.

Definitely gave me pause for thought. We were in a restaurant for lunch a few months ago with our toddler and the little boy at the table next to us knocked over a cup full of markers that the waitress had given him. The mother just started smacking him, and our little girl, who had knocked hers over 3 minutes earlier, was totally confused. You could see the thought process all over her face- "Mama and papa told me that I mustn't hit people, why is that mama smacking that boy? I knocked over my markers, why didn't she smack me?"

It was bloody weird....

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

I got beaten twice as a kid (not here in Ireland but back in Africa). Dad didn't like me losing my sweater always saying "money doesn't grow on trees".

To be honest, I didn't learn a thing from it and definitely didn't shape me up.

Is there any proof that beating/spanking/slapping kids works? Why do some kids turn out fine especially in my class and have never had a hand laid on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

lertsnim wrote: »
    Wooden spoon and the poker at home. Long ruler and duster in school.

Duster in school. I had a 4/5th class teacher who could hit you with a duster clear across the room. Caught it once in the forehead, and had to get 2 stitches.

When my dad got home he asked what had happened, and I got the belt for not paying attention in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I got beaten twice as a kid (not here in Ireland but back in Africa). Dad didn't like me losing my sweater always saying "money doesn't grow on trees".

To be honest, I didn't learn a thing from it and definitely didn't shape me up.

Is there any proof that beating/spanking/slapping kids works? Why do some kids turn out fine especially in my class and have never had a hand laid on them.
    This is a very good point. Usually when these threads come up, some people say "I got hit as a child and it never did me any harm and I do the same to my children". I have never seen a post from someone who wasn't physically punished as a child who went on to use corporal punishment in the home.

There is no need to hit a child. They can be annoying and push boundaries but adults are supposed to be in control and teach children how to manage their emotions. It boggles my mind how on the one hand people think it's ok to hit children but on the other, teach them to use their words and not their fists.

It boggles my mind how on the one hand people think it's ok to hit children but on the other, teach them to use their words and not their fists.

Because for most people it’s not simply a case of one extreme or the other, but rather a question of context. For example, I think it’s fair to say you would advocate discipline such as the naughty step or time outs for children when they misbehave, and you might even take that time to find out why they misbehaved when they knew their behaviour was inappropriate. Is that fair to say?

I think it’s also fair to say you wouldn’t put an adult on the naughty step or tell them they’re on time out as a means of discipline when their behaviour is inappropriate. People have different standards which apply in different circumstances based upon context. That’s why society generally doesn’t treat adults and children the same way or hold them accountable, liable or responsible according to the same set of standards.

It really shouldn’t be as mind boggling as you’re making out, it’s incredibly easy to understand the distinctions societies generally make between adults and children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Because for most people it’s not simply a case of one extreme or the other, but rather a question of context. For example, I think it’s fair to say you would advocate discipline such as the naughty step or time outs for children when they misbehave, and you might even take that time to find out why they misbehaved when they knew their behaviour was inappropriate. Is that fair to say?

I think it’s also fair to say you wouldn’t put an adult on the naughty step or tell them they’re on time out as a means of discipline when their behaviour is inappropriate. People have different standards which apply in different circumstances based upon context. That’s why society generally doesn’t treat adults and children the same way or hold them accountable, liable or responsible according to the same set of standards.

It really shouldn’t be as mind boggling as you’re making out, it’s incredibly easy to understand the distinctions societies generally make between adults and children.
    We have time out for adults. It's called prison.

We have time out for adults. It's called prison.

That’s a bit more now than just time out :pac: Plenty of adults behave inappropriately and we don’t immediately shunt them off to prison. We don’t immediately shunt children off to prison either when they behave inappropriately, because society holds adults and children to different standards, and we don’t treat adults and children the same.

We treat adults differently to children generally because we expect adults to know better where we make allowances for children, because children don’t have the same capacity for reason and understanding the consequences of their behaviour as adults do. Children gain that knowledge as they grow up into adulthood, and that’s why the idea of smacking a child teaches them that it’s acceptable to hit people, does nothing of the sort. That’s simply backwards rationalisation - reasoning that because an adult hits another adult, they must have been taught that’s acceptable behaviour as a child.

That reasoning ignores the fact that the number of adults who were physically disciplined as children who do not go around hitting people, by far outweighs those who do. It would be like me suggesting that adults who seek to manipulate other adults must have been taught that was acceptable behaviour as children by their parents who used psychological manipulation as a means of discipline on them. You’d rightfully think that argument was nuts!

That’s a bit more now than just time out :pac: Plenty of adults behave inappropriately and we don’t immediately shunt them off to prison. We don’t immediately shunt children off to prison either when they behave inappropriately, because society holds adults and children to different standards, and we don’t treat adults and children the same.

We treat adults differently to children generally because we expect adults to know better where we make allowances for children, because children don’t have the same capacity for reason and understanding the consequences of their behaviour as adults do. Children gain that knowledge as they grow up into adulthood, and that’s why the idea of smacking a child teaches them that it’s acceptable to hit people, does nothing of the sort. That’s simply backwards rationalisation - reasoning that because an adult hits another adult, they must have been taught that’s acceptable behaviour as a child.

That reasoning ignores the fact that the number of adults who were physically disciplined as children who do not go around hitting people, by far outweighs those who do. It would be like me suggesting that adults who seek to manipulate other adults must have been taught that was acceptable behaviour as children by their parents who used psychological manipulation as a means of discipline on them. You’d rightfully think that argument was nuts!

I'm not doubting spanking works but what is the psychology behind it? Why would hitting any human "discipline them" (not arguing against or for it just curious).

In a way I can see the argument spankers make. If children don't get any sort of discipline, they'll be forced to get self disciplined as adults which is usually the justice system which, and one that has permanent negative consequences than spanking.

Still I know many in my leaving cert class who were spanked and didn't turn out better than the ones who didn't (me included). I'm unemployed, get poor grades. Not blaming that on spanking but I wonder why my friend who never had a hand/belt laid on him is far more successful and even law abiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm not doubting spanking works but what is the psychology behind it? Why would hitting any human "discipline them" (not arguing against or for it just curious).

In a way I can see the argument spankers make. If children don't get any sort of discipline, they'll be forced to get self disciplined as adults which is usually the justice system which, and one that has permanent negative consequences than spanking.

Still I know many in my leaving cert class who were spanked and didn't turn out better than the ones who didn't (me included). I'm unemployed, get poor grades. Not blaming that on spanking but I wonder why my friend who never had a hand/belt laid on him is far more successful and even law abiding?

The psychology of fear

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Spanking is a lazy way out . Parenting is hard work , it takes time and effort . It takes listening and talking and finding a way to explain to a child in a way he understands . Slapping or screaming at kids is lazy and shows a lack of effort to parent

That’s not an argument I personally would make as I don’t see any reason to defend or justify what doesn’t need defending or justification. It’s simply another form of discipline, no more inherently harmful or beneficial than any other form of discipline you’d care to think of, whether it be verbal, emotional, mental, psychological, etc. I’ve just always favoured physical discipline over what I see as messing with someone’s head or messing with their emotions or psychological state. It’s actually far, far easier to instill fear in someone through psychological and emotional manipulation than it is to do so by physical means. The intent of course isn’t to instill fear in the child, but rather to teach them discipline.

Selection bias on your part is all that is tbh. There are an infinite number of reasons as to why you turned out the way you did, and they turned out the way they did. It would be like me arguing that in spite of the physical, mental and emotional abuse I endured as a child, I got top grades in school and third level education and turned out to be a successful and law abiding citizen who contributes to society.

I wouldn’t ever suggest that was due to being physically abused as a child because statistically, it would have been predicted that I would be more likely to enter into abusive relationships as an adult, contrary to the popular misconception that adults who endure abuse in childhood are more likely to go on to become abusers in adulthood themselves.

The mental and emotional abuse had a far worse and much longer lasting impact than the physical abuse I endured, which is why I am adverse to using such techniques on my child, on any child, and instead choose to use physical discipline as a means to discipline my child, and defend children from being subject to mental and emotional abuse.

As an adult I have a great relationship with my mother now and she and my son have a great relationship, so ideas that any outcomes are an inevitability or foregone conclusion based upon one single aspect of a persons childhood or how they are raised, are usually made at the expense of discarding all other elements in favour of showing examples that fit a specific hypothesis or profile already selected for by the persons conducting the research in support of their hypothesis.

It’s actually far, far easier to instill fear in someone through psychological and emotional manipulation than it is to do so by physical means. The intent of course isn’t to instill fear in the child, but rather to teach them discipline.

The mental and emotional abuse had a far worse and much longer lasting impact than the physical abuse I endured, which is why I am adverse to using such techniques on my child, on any child, and instead choose to use physical discipline as a means to discipline my child, and defend children from being subject to mental and emotional abuse.

In what ways would mental abuse be worse than physical

Well one of the biggest ways in which it differs of course is that it isn’t as obvious as physical abuse, but in children it can lead to all sorts of mental health issues, such as feelings of low self-esteem, low self-worth and self-confidence and issues which can manifest in adulthood in a few different ways:

- wanting attention or becoming clingy
    - not caring how they act or what happens to them
    - trying to make people dislike them
    - developing risky behaviour, like stealing, bullying or running away.
    - difficultly feeling, expressing and controlling emotions
    - lacking confidence or causing anger problems
    - finding it difficult to make and maintain healthy relationships later in life
    - higher levels of depression and health problems as adults compared to those who experienced other types of child abuse
    - mental health problems, including depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts

- eating disorders
    - self-harm
    - language development
    - problems forming healthy relationships

Emotional abuse, NSPCC

The ones I highlighted in bold are probably the biggest and most notable differences between the outcomes of physical and emotional abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Gerry G wrote: »
    Just wondering how many of you got slapped as a child. I did, by my mother who had hands like leather from years of working outdoors. I never ever got slapped for no reason and never got slapped around the head or face. I got reprimanded for doing wrong and when I did I learned not to do the wrong thing again. Always got the hard hand on the back of the leg and it stung like bejaysus.

It never did me an ounce of harm and on rare occasions I have reprimanded my own kids with a stinger to the back of the legs. Society nowadays will severely frown upon it and point to child abuse and teaching a child that violence is ok and blah blah blah. I honestly feel that if more children had received slaps as punishment for doing wrong when they were kids then society wouldnt be in such a sorry state with generations of young people running around with absolutely no fear of authority or repercussion for wrong doing.

Yes I got the odd smack with the wooden spoon but that was nothing compared to how my three older siblings fared. I was a very quiet child who seldom got into trouble. I feared but respected my parents and I hated getting slapped.

• Advertisement

I would say it is hard for anyone without an agenda of supporting one over the other to answer that honestly. Mainly because they rarely occur in isolation. There is very often elements of one in play when one is engaging in the other. I would expect incidents of _purely_ physical abuse or emotional abuse - without the other - to be rare and hard to control for.

If the recommendation for physical violence as a discipline methodology is that it is at least better than anything on an arbitrary cherry picked list of abuse - then that hardly seems a recommendation at all to me. Sounds a bit like a violent mugger claiming "sure I didn't rape or kill you - so that's something".

Assertions that one form of discipline is no better or worse than any other is just that - an assertion. And some actual study or data on the subject is the only thing that will move it past the level of assertion. Certainly individual anecdotes of people who turned out well or badly because of one methodology is not going to do it. Unfortunately when studies actually are cited on the subject the people who like to defend the violence approaches do not find support in them and so simply hand wave at them with excuses like "Ah sure all this academia is just liberals writing what other liberals need to hear".

Thankfully in the real world violence or mental abuse are the extremes on a continuum rather than the only items on a menu. Between these extremes lies all kinds of options of positive and negative reinforcement - as well as normal human education through conversation. And I "as a parent" have not once yet found reason to use violence on my children _or_ abuse them mentally or to use fear as a weapon.

Another user on boards gave a good example of this once which I think highlights the range of options. He was talking about children refusing to brush their teeth. There are a number of options of course on what to do as a parent, the below list are examples not exhaustive:

1) There are violent options there. Hit the child until they do it. And escalate the quantity or force of that violence as required. Or take the toothbrush and forcibly do it for them in a painful way such they they will only want to do it themselves in the future.

2) Some kind of psychological abuse. I dunno what that would even entail? Tell them they are dirty disgusting creatures? Tell them no one will like them if they are not clean? That mammy or daddy will want to leave home and never come back if they have a dirty child? I dunno. My imagination for abuse is not as deep as that of the people who engage in it. Ask them!

3) Use lies such as telling them some boogeyman will come and get them if they do not do it or the tooth fairy will pay out less money for poorly looked after teeth. Or some imaginary god friend is watching and is disappointed in them. The little baby jesus is crying over them. Gag me with a metaphorical spoon!

4) Or simply talk with them. Educate them on why we brush our teeth. Give them the straight facts that if there is food residue on their teeth then little creatures eat that food and excrete their own version of poo. And that poo in their mouth is acidic and damages the teeth over time.

5) Tell them it is their mouth and their choice and that if they do not want to brush that is fine so lets all go to bed now. Make zero issue out of it at the time. But from the next day on start or stop doing things as a consequence. Schedule more trips to the dentist. Reduce their allowance of sugary foods they desire. And when they inevitably ask why - tell them that while it is _their_ choice to brush or not brush their teeth - as their parent it is _your_ choice what food you give them and how you engage in their dental care. And as such their refusal to brush means that as a parent you can not in good conscience give them sugary foods or allow long periods between dental appointments.

6) A lot of positive reinforcement when they do brush telling them they look and or smell great.

Options 4 and 5 and 6 are not abuse and are not violent and either - or in my opinion a combination of the three - and are likely to still reach the goals of discipline we want as a parent. Further we will not just get the outcome we want but the child knows _why_ too which as I said in an earlier post about a child getting hit and not even really understanding what it was they did wrong - is a useful goal to have.

Further I find those options bypass a claim that was made on the thread already. That we do not treat children and adults the same. So we would not throw a child into prison for example for their misbehaviour but we would an adult. And so on. Actually I find a lot of options 4 5 and 6 above _are_ based on treating adults and children the same. And I see that as an advantage because you are not only teaching them discipline in the moment - but in ways that will hold relevance to their adult life.

Because when you misbehave as an adult quite often 4) People will try to educate you with new information to inform you on why your behaviour is bad 5) People will modify what they feel they can in good conscience do or not do based on your behaviours and 6) good behaviour will often receive positive feedback.

While 1) We do not often physically attack adults behaving poorly 2) Psychological abuse is still abuse among adults and 3) Not too many adults are going to be cowed by the boogeyman et al.

So I do not take the "we treat adults and children different" point as a relevant point, argument, criteria or measure at all. Quite the opposite in fact. I would question why we would not be gravitating towards disciplinary methodologies that will remain constant throughout a persons life stages before I would merely assert that no method is inherently any better or worse than any other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement