Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did any of you ever get slapped as a child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Wooden spoon. Many, many times.
    Like Batman I became skilled in the art of the dodge technique and developed a strategy for holding one end of the wooden spoon and refused to let go of it (obvious reasons) until I could successfully maneuver my ma away from the door and I could make a run for it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I got hit on the head by a catholic teacher in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yes. My mother slapped us. Also used a wooden spoon. Got pepper or tobacco on the tongue for cursing.

Teacher in high infants smacked the sh1te out of us.
    Principal did too and would hit with a Bamboo stick.
    Vice Principal would jam her boney tumb into our backs but didn't slap.
    5th and 6th class teacher smacked and would smack very hard across the face, it was a male teacher and he didn't hold back.
    One teacher in secondary school did too bu then by 2nd year, it didn't started becoming an issue and pretty much became taboo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Wooden spoon and the poker at home. Long ruler and duster in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Often slapped and the wooden spoon the most common weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I was and each of my siblings was, and we are all totally opposed to it now.

Saw something interesting on the topic a while back, considering whether slapping or hitting your child taught them to not behave inappropriately. The gist of it was before you raise your hand, consider whether you can reason with the child instead. If so, that's what you do even if it doesn't work, and if the child is too young to be reasoned with, then why in the name of christ would you hit them in the first place?

If you're slapping your child, you're doing so out of your own inability to control your temper. And while parenting tests the limits of your patience etc etc, let's not pretend it forms part of a thought out parenting strategy because it "didn't do me any harm".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yeah my mother slapped us but we were strong sons to keep control of mild in comparison to what was going on around the neighborhood spoons belts etc

Never smacked my own child had a little girl I was brought up to never to lay a hand on a woman so it never entered my mind to do it

Had an ex whose father who used to beat the sister with a poker

Once she told me I could never look at him the same way again

Your little girl with a fcuking poker?

Scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I was slapped as a child and it did me no harm. It did no good either. It became a sort of 'cat & mouse' thing, being chased around the house by my mother and her wooden spoon, goading her into hitting me a second time because 'that didn't hurt'. It also meant that me and my siblings hit each other a lot when we were younger, because 'that's what you do when someone annoys you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I got a few from my mother together with a proper shouting and on a few occasions she destroyed our toys in anger.
    She was going through a rough patch herself and it went away when I was like 10.

I was a very sensitive child and I didn't understand why this happens. We didn't tidy our room and I couldn't make the connection why we'd get slapped for it. I was really hurt after every time it happened because I genuinely couldn't understand why. Granted, I'm a very gentle person and very opposed of physical violence.

When I was an adult we talked about it and my mother said she can't remember some of it but you could see it really upset hearing about it and she said she has no words for how sorry she is. She never once tried to justify her actions and would never once even recommend a healthy slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

voldejoie wrote: »
    If so, that's what you do even if it doesn't work, and if the child is too young to be reasoned with, then why in the name of christ would you hit them in the first place?

Ideally grounding them would work better but what if a child ignores the threat of grounding. It's not nice hitting your child but a very small smack sends a clear message to the child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭This is it

Greyfox wrote: »
    Ideally grounding them would work better but what if a child ignores the threat of grounding. It's not nice hitting your child but a very small smack sends a clear message to the child.

A message alright, a wrong message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

It's not so much the "hitting you child is wrong" argument; it's the logic that the child receives that hitting someone you don't agree with is ok.
    Nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Smacks on the bum for being a silly bugger.

Did me no harm whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We used to get threatened with the wooden spoon by my mother but I can’t remember if she ever actually slapped us. Maybe a tap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

We got slapped. I can't even remember what I did but one time my dad really went to town. It was mainly slaps and whacks, like I didn't physically bleed or bruise or anything, but the power of it kept knocking me over and he kept picking me up for more. I'm a girl so maybe I felt it more.

I couldn't slap my kids. I just couldn't do it. Being slapped did me no harm really. But I still couldn't inflict it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I got a few (less than 10) slaps but they were more taps than proper slaps. Most of them were after mum was trying to separate my brother and I when we were fighting. And no we didn't fight because parents hit us we were just close in age and clashing personalities. Fights with my brother were a lot more vicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

No, I was too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

NSAman wrote: »
    Oh you amateur....did you not file it down after each new one was bought ?

Yep wooden spoon, slapped and the ruler used in school.... did us no harm..:)

How do you folks know that being assaulted did you no harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

My great grand father had a job before at making the straps for the schools!

No one thinks of that, the loss of the jobs in that industry, it was probably a roaring trade back from eons ago right up until, well the noughties?

This is it wrote: »
    Plenty of ways to discipline a child without resorting to hitting them. If a parent uses hitting a child to teach them, they're failing as a parent.

Agreed, I hope I always can resolve problems, teach and discipline my child by other means, physically beating them isnt the right answer, got the wooden spoon a lot myself from the mother,as we all did, physically I dont think it did me harm, but I think its a bad example to set children, Im not sure what it taught me, looking back I think she had other options and didnt know better, up against it with kids as a single mother, now my dad less so when he was around, the fear would scare you more, and the times he did were not pleasant, he used a belt, I couldnt do that to my son.

janfebmar wrote: »
    I got hit on the head by a catholic teacher in school.

The catholics, probably had extra training for that, the sick baxtards.

road_high wrote: »
    Often slapped and the wooden spoon the most common weapon.

The wooden spoon, I used to love getting the cake mixture off them before they were cooked, its amazing how such an innocuous item is so tied to child discipline in Ireland.

voldejoie wrote: »
    I was and each of my siblings was, and we are all totally opposed to it now.

Saw something interesting on the topic a while back, considering whether slapping or hitting your child taught them to not behave inappropriately. The gist of it was before you raise your hand, consider whether you can reason with the child instead. If so, that's what you do even if it doesn't work, and if the child is too young to be reasoned with, then why in the name of christ would you hit them in the first place?

If you're slapping your child, you're doing so out of your own inability to control your temper. And while parenting tests the limits of your patience etc etc, let's not pretend it forms part of a thought out parenting strategy because it "didn't do me any harm".

Agreed, I now threaten to tickle my son to death if he is cheeky, but I encourage him to express his thoughts, opinions and feelings, that said he'll be told if he is bold, feel lucky as he mostly isn't bold, he laughs and I still can get a cuddle and a hug and no resentment nor guilt, I ask him if Im being mean by tickling him, he says he doesnt mind and I definitely dont overuse it as I think that can be a bit mean, but he does say Im going to kill him with it, I think it is better than inflicting pain by slapping, I could never use a belt on my son like I got, even the wooden spoon.

I was slapped as a child and it did me no harm. It did no good either. It became a sort of 'cat & mouse' thing, being chased around the house by my mother and her wooden spoon, goading her into hitting me a second time because 'that didn't hurt'. It also meant that me and my siblings hit each other a lot when we were younger, because 'that's what you do when someone annoys you'.

The cat and mouse around the dining room table, brings back memories, if you werent the one being punished, you were sent on a mission of catching the sibling who was, Ireland had a lot to learn in child discipline back then. The only time it never hurt was when I had a toffee bar in my arse pocket and I feigned pain, usually punishment was 3 slaps and if you got your hands in the way, it was a wrap across the knuckles and another for not letting it happen, sick really

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My dad would get extremely angry and confrontational as I hit the teens but in the end it was usually my pocket money he cut or I got grounded. I can never really remember him hitting me, my brother though was a cheeky bastard and got a few well deserved slaps. With him you got punished and that was the end of it never mentioned again.

As a child my mother would give me a few slaps of the wooden spoon but all deserved. However the silent treatment was far worse and I used to beg her to just hit me and it's over with but no punishment would go on for days. That was far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Musefan wrote: »
    A reminder that slapping a child is now illegal in Ireland. There is no good reason whatsoever to slap a child. 50 years of research cannot identify a single positive outcome. If you’re slapping your child, you’re not teaching them to behave appropriately. In fact, you’re teaching them that an appropriate action when being annoyed is to slap someone. Then a child is likely punished for taking the same action and hitting a sibling. You would press charges if another adult slapped you. Hence why it’s now illegal.

It’s not, and that’s not the reason why the defence of reasonable chastisement was removed as a defence to a charge of child neglect either.

The rest of your post is just your opinion which isn’t worth a whole lot either way tbh, particularly when there is plenty of evidence to suggest quite the opposite of what you’re suggesting - the vast majority of adults understand the difference between discipline and child neglect, which is precisely why even though they may have been smacked or neglected as children themselves, they know better than to do the same thing to another adult.

It’s something the vast majority of people actually do learn as children, so it’s not something that should be used as an excuse to explain the minority of people’s misbehaviour as adults. 50 years of biased “research” doesn’t prove anything one way or the other only that confirmation bias based upon ideology is rife in social studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Intimidation is a huge part of earning respect. Along with fear.

I love my kids more then anything ive done everything for them since they where born and they mean world to me but i dont let either of them away with ****.

Theres been plenty of times ive gave son a slap or roared at him but its only for his own good. I have told him enough times i dont like it and i have felt bad having to do it but kids push u so bloody far at times that they need to be shown that you cant over step the line. Words can only show so much.

I would never ever abuse them or beat them. I got slapped as a kid with hands and whatever was around but ffs my parents didnt abuse me jesus they done to much for me!

At end day my kids love me and they love there mother we have given up so much of our lifes to make theres better.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Don't think I was, and have never felt the need to hit my kids. Yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Everyone over 45 did at home / school/street/ everywhere,that's how it was, mostly wasn't too barbaric,often got a toe in the hole aswell from John Garda

Intimidation is a huge part of earning respect. Along with fear.

I love my kids more then anything ive done everything for them since they where born and they mean world to me but i dont let either of them away with ****.

Theres been plenty of times ive gave son a slap or roared at him but its only for his own good. I have told him enough times i dont like it and i have felt bad having to do it but kids push u so bloody far at times that they need to be shown that you cant over step the line. Words can only show so much.

I would never ever abuse them or beat them. I got slapped as a kid with hands and whatever was around but ffs my parents didnt abuse me jesus they done to much for me!

At end day my kids love me and they love there mother we have given up so much of our lifes to make theres better.

Is it ok for your son to give other kids a slap, for their own good of course?

Considering your post I actually think you'll answer yes, which is just as worrying.

As I said, if you need to hit your kids to make a point, you're failing as a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

bee06 wrote: »
    We used to get threatened with the wooden spoon by my mother but I can’t remember if she ever actually slapped us. Maybe a tap.
    A tap is a slap

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

This is it wrote: »
    Is it ok for your son to give other kids a slap, for their own good of course?

Considering your post I actually think you'll answer yes, which is just as worrying.

As I said, if you need to hit your kids to make a point, you're failing as a parent.

Its not his job to discipline other kids. Its my job to discipline him.

See when you say hit your labeling that as abuse i am not abusing him i am not beating him!

Theres no harm in the odd slap to show your serious. I don't do it very often most time i shout or show him how serious i am and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Everyone over 45 did at home / school/street/ everywhere,that's how it was, mostly wasn't too barbaric,often got a toe in the hole aswell from John Garda

It's a pity John Garda is still not allowed to dish out a toe in the hole.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yep slapped and wooden spoon many a time, all deserved. Didn't do any of us any harm tbh.

• Advertisement

Its not his job to discipline other kids. Its my job to discipline him.

See when you say hit your labeling that as abuse i am not abusing him i am not beating him!

Theres no harm in the odd slap to show your serious. I don't do it very often most time i shout or show him how serious i am and it works.

I said hit because when you slap someone you're hitting them, I didn't label it as anything but bad parenting.

There are plenty of ways to discipline a child without hitting or slapping them. Unfortunately it's what some parents resort to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement