Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belfast rape trial discussion thread II

Comments

given how jumpy the side admins are about this kind of thing usually, its absolutely staggering how many posts in this thread just today have explicitly and directly accused these guys of rape or sexual assault

worth remembering next time we cant mention something over the threat of legal action

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

is_that_so wrote: »
    Meanwhile, poster finds everyone else is to blame!

Au contraire my man. I blame them just as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Kenny B wrote: »
    Modern 18-25 years behave this way,

Mobile phones probably didn't exist when you were in that age bracket, yet you happily pass judgement on people,
    You seem to be praising them. I know quite a few 18-25 year olds who really don't behave this way. The judgement, where it exists, is on the behaviour, which by any standards is pretty poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,944 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jm08 wrote: »
    I think they did delete them. The police were able to retrieve some of them.

Have you a link to that?

Au contraire my man. I blame them just as much.
    Well, why not say that instead of going for silly nonsense?

• Advertisement

I presume Neil Francis is currently being roasted by the twitter mob for his comments on Prime Time.
    I can see Guinness getting a bit of a roasting for this in the circles they were sponsoring. As Francis said, their sponsorship isn't pivotal to the club. They have been told to sod off, and fair play to London Irish, shame our own clubs wouldn't do it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jeffleppard

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Not one of the messages she highlights in her tweet is actually from PJ.

What the f**k is an intersectional feminist anyway. She sounds like an absolute dose.

My general impression is that a fairly sizeable percentage of Jackson's detractors, particularly on Twitter, know little or nothing about the actual facts of the trial and nor do they care - a bit like Farage or Bojo, facts are totally secondary, the main goal is relentlessly pursuing the agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

You seem to be praising them. I know quite a few 18-25 year olds who really don't behave this way. The judgement, where it exists, is on the behaviour, which by any standards is pretty poor.

You would be very surprised how they act in a group.

I am in my early 30's, i have sent some fairly questionable material within different watsapp groups. Stuff that i found funny in a frankie boyle way. But if these were posted all over twitter it certainly wouldn't be a fair reflection on how i actually feel about disabled people for example.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    You would be very surprised how they act in a group.

I am in my early 30's, i have sent some fairly questionable material within different watsapp groups. Stuff that i found funny in a frankie boyle way. But if these were posted all over twitter it certainly wouldn't be a fair reflection on how i actually feel about disabled people for example.
    It's really not new at all, just a different format and far more unfiltered these days. Social media amplifies it. Idiots will always be idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

KaneToad wrote: »
    "There was a lot of spit roast last night"

That is shocking! Disgusting! I'm outraged and offended!

I actually think he said just "spit" not "spit roast". But obviously I'm still outraged.

What did Darren Cave write?

What did the complainant write in a message accompanying a photo of the other girls at the house?

• Advertisement

My general impression is that a fairly sizeable percentage of Jackson's detractors, particularly on Twitter, know little or nothing about the actual facts of the trial and nor do they care - a bit like Farage or Bojo, facts are totally secondary, the main goal is relentlessly pursuing the agenda

+1

#metoo attack dogs, facts nor real people don't matter, the twitter suffragettes will have their day.

Well, why not say that instead of going for silly nonsense?

What 'silly nonsense' am I going for, exactly?

The ones vilifying these lads the most are deranged feminist extremists and rabid liberals who want kids in primary school putting condoms on bananas and then act surprised that these lads wound up the way they are.

If you think that's me defending them or blaming everyone else you're off the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Modern 18-25 years behave this way,

Mobile phones probably didn't exist when you were in that age bracket, yet you happily pass judgement on people,

I’m 35. What are you talking about? Mobile phone became commonplace when I was 16 or 17. I was in the 18-25 age bracket from 2002-2009. What age did you think I was?

What 'silly nonsense' am I going for, exactly?

The ones vilifying these lads the most are deranged feminist extremists and rabid liberals who want kids in primary school putting condoms on bananas and then act surprised that these lads wound up the way they are.

If you think that's me defending them or blaming everyone else you're off the mark.
    This sounds quite a lot like the wild stuff that you're ranting about. Why do you care what you people you don't know have to say about anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

To an extent i would be, they tried to move on with their lives after the trial but people refuse to accept the possibility that they are innocent. They are innocent, it's a fact and there are people destroying their lives for revenge when the mob don't even know all the facts.

Nobody has to choose a side here, i don't understand how condemning them for saying allegedly nasty stuff makes it ok to destroy them.

Frankie Boyle

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

I’m 35. What are you talking about? Mobile phone became commonplace when I was 16 or 17. I was in the 18-25 age bracket from 2002-2009. What age did you think I was?

This sounds quite a lot like the wild stuff that you're ranting about. Why do you care what you people you don't know have to say about anything?

What you people you don't know have to say?

Try English.

Ah. I see what I’m dealing with here. Thanks for giving notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Hide? What are you on about. They were not on trial for the whatsapp messages.

They should been...if they carried on about my sister like.this....id not be too impressed with them not facing sancture

But like i said,hide behind the courts all you want.....ots obvious to see who your siding with

_blaaz wrote: »
    They should been...if they carried on about my sister like.this....id not be too impressed with them not facing sancture

But like i said,hide behind the courts all you want.....ots obvious to see who your siding with

I'm allowing all involved, including the one you are identifying with as your sister, the liberty to make a mistake and to move on with their lives.

Is that reasonable?

• Advertisement

To an extent i would be, they tried to move on with their lives after the trial but people refuse to accept the possibility that they are innocent. They are innocent, it's a fact and there are people destroying their lives for revenge when the mob don't even know all the facts.

Nobody has to choose a side here, i don't understand how condemning them for saying allegedly nasty stuff makes it ok to destroy them.

Frankie Boyle
    There is an element of this that some people find very distasteful and they are not going to change their minds on it. While many will accept the verdict some of the other behaviour still leaves them with a poor view of both. Once their careers end that will fade but this will follow them until then.

There is an element of this that some people find very distasteful and they are not going to change their minds on it. While many will accept the verdict some of the other behaviour still leaves them with a poor view of both. Once their careers end that will fade but this will follow them until then.

A major club has accepted the loss of two sponsors and still wants him to play for them.

The mob are losing.

That’s my view pretty much. And thankfully the thought police don’t exist so that’s how it’ll remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Have you a link to that?

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/irish-news/full-transcript-text-messages-sent-12283375

If you go down through the texts, it tells you some messages were deleted and/or retrieved.

I'm allowing all involved, including the one you are identifying with as your sister, the liberty to make a mistake and to move on with their lives.

Is that reasonable?

Not if it was my sister (which it wasnt).no

I dont make mistakes like this,why should i put up with others doing so??

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/irish-news/full-transcript-text-messages-sent-12283375

If you go down through the texts, it tells you some messages were deleted and/or retrieved.

I knew that. You said all were deleted.

Not if it was my sister (which it wasnt).no

I dont make mistakes like this,why should i put up with others doing so??

Have you ever made a mistake?

Ever objectified a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Ever been dick yourself or are you squeaky clean and without mistake?

Nobody, not even me are "squeaky clean". Of course I've made mistakes

Have I ever had a gang bang and bragged to the lads about it using degrading language?... No can't say I have

A major club has accepted the loss of two sponsors and still wants him to play for them.

The mob are losing.
    That's their prerogative just as it is the prerogative of the "mob" to hold their views. It's not right or wrong, just positions which you agree or disagree with.

• Advertisement

Have you ever made a mistake?

Ever objectified a woman?

Not to extent of messing was going on here,no

Yous can defend it all yous want,but id be hoping they give alot of time looking over there shoulder for retribution incoming for their carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Have I ever had a gang bang and bragged to the lads about it using degrading language?... No can't say I have
    Exactly. Nobody suggested anywhere that anyone is squeaky clean or never made a mistake. This is obviously not just a mistake either. Dishonest bollox.

Would you expect to be hounded out of your job for those 'mistakes'?

*What you have done on a night out with other consenting adults is not of relevance really. People do things I wouldn't do, that is no reason to hound them.

I knew that. You said all were deleted.

Thats what I understood to have happened. Some were retrived - some they were unable to retrieve. I also recall that when they were asked to go to the police station, some of the lads advised them to leave their phones at home.

What I don't understand why were the lads trying to hide their text messages?

Another thing can anyone explain why the Players Union didn't give any support to their members. Its almost like their fellow professionals disowned them.

Not to extent of messing was going on here,no

Yous can defend it all yous want,but id be hoping they give alot of time looking over there shoulder for retribution incoming for their carry on

Did you ever objectify another woman, have a one night stand?

I am guessing most people do, and it is always with somebody's son or daughter and commonly with somebody's sister or brother.

Wadn't a mistake. They'd obviously keep behaving that way if not caught.

• Advertisement

Several...but regretably for you....this isnt the issue here??

I am guessing most people do, and it is always with somebody's son or daughter and commonly with somebody's sister or brother.

And again...no one is taking issue with the ONS.....why you think they are is beyond me????,....yous have picked up least worst thing of what went on here and are trying (quite poorly) to use it to defend the defensible

Who said there was anything wrong with a mere one night stand or objectifying in the non treating them like a piece of meat way? You'd swear the way these guys behaved is the only way to have a one night stand and the only way to objectify someone.

This is just piss poor.

Would you expect to be hounded out of your job for those 'mistakes'?

*What you have done on a night out with other consenting adults is not of relevance really. People do things I wouldn't do, that is no reason to hound them.

They were 'hounded out' because of the appalling way they treated that young woman. Lets not forget she was a teenager just out of school and she left PJ's house very upset and bleeding. Then in their texts the next day to each other, they spoke of the three girls (one of whom later saved their skin) as sluts.

Thats what I understood to have happened. Some were retrived - some they were unable to retrieve. I also recall that when they were asked to go to the police station, some of the lads advised them to leave their phones at home.

What I don't understand why were the lads trying to hide their text messages?

Another thing can anyone explain why the Players Union didn't give any support to their members. Its almost like their fellow professionals disowned them.

Olding and Jackson deleted a few messages
    Mcllroy deleted 5 messages, but these weren't the same ones Olding and Jackson deleted
    Harrison's phone apparently froze up and had to be reset about 2 weeks after Jackson, Olding and McIlroy were arrested, but there was never any proof presented by the prosecution that he deleted any individual messages

Harrison told McIlroy to leave his phone at home - there was no communication from anyone telling Jackson or Olding to leave their phone at home

That last part was actually something that jumped out for me - if Harrison was supposed to be 'managing' the situation, then why were there no messages or calls between him and Jackson or Olding at any point (bar the 'spit roast' video to Olding, which only came out after the trial)

They were 'hounded out' because of the appalling way they treated that young woman. Lets not forget she was a teenager just out of school and she left PJ's house very upset and bleeding. Then in their texts the next day to each other, they spoke of the three girls (one of whom later saved their skin) as sluts.

She herself called the other girls 'sluts'. She was 19.

• Advertisement

Funny how some reckon London Irish told diageo to get fooked....its clearly the other way round.

Rugger bugger trying to blame alcohol for the Belfast incident now on primetime .....sweet Jesus.

She herself called the other girls 'sluts'. She was 19.

And?

In their version of events they had a consensual threesome, at least some aspects of which were instigated by her. If that is indeed what happened, what specifically would be appalling about that?

Again on their version of events, it was the realisation that she had been spotted and possibly filmed by someone that knew friends of hers that caused her to become upset when she left, not anything Jackson et al had done to her.

The bleeding may have been menstrual based on some of the evidence that was presented at trial - if that was the case, that's hardly Jackson's fault, and Olding and McIlroy didn't vaginally penetrate her so neither of them was the cause of any internal injury if there was one. It was also entirely possible that any internal injury, if there was one, could have been caused by accident during consensual sex, which both medical witnesses agreed with in their evidence.

Neither Jackson nor Olding actually insulted or even specifically mentioned the complainant on WhatsApp, they used a vulgar term for a threesome and Olding described them as 'top shaggers'. The derogatory language directed at women was all from others in the group.

Jackson claimed there was no sexual intercourse..... No sex no rape ;)

Augeo wrote: »
    Funny how some reckon London Irish told diageo to get fooked....its clearly the other way round.

Rugger bugger trying to blame alcohol for the Belfast incident now on primetime .....sweet Jesus.

I doubt if Olding had 20+ pints of Guinness!

And?

And yourself. The people at that party where not there under duress. What we know is that one person says there was no consent. That person was drunk and went to the house alone and somehow ended upstairs with a man she didn't know, not once, but twice.
    The jury decided there was no evidence worthy of saying that rape occurred.

Augeo wrote: »

No he didn't. He alluded to the hypocrisy of a company claiming to have 'values' while selling it's product any which way it can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

No he didn't. He alluded to the hypocrisy of a company claiming to have 'values' while selling it's product any which way it can.

He did try to blame alcohol, including suggesting that Diageo's products were involved. The disgusting WhatsApp messages were sent the following day, after Jackson and Olding would have sobered up, so alcohol can't be blamed for their misogynistic attitudes.

In their version of events they had a consensual threesome, at least some aspects of which were instigated by her. If that is indeed what happened, what specifically would be appalling about that?

Again on their version of events, it was the realisation that she had been spotted and possibly filmed by someone that knew friends of hers that caused her to become upset when she left, not anything Jackson et al had done to her.

The bleeding may have been menstrual based on some of the evidence that was presented at trial - if that was the case, that's hardly Jackson's fault, and Olding and McIlroy didn't vaginally penetrate her so neither of them was the cause of any internal injury if there was one. It was also entirely possible that any internal injury, if there was one, could have been caused by accident during consensual sex, which both medical witnesses agreed with in their evidence.

Neither Jackson nor Olding actually insulted or even specifically mentioned the complainant on WhatsApp, they used a vulgar term for a threesome and Olding described them as 'top shaggers'. The derogatory language directed at women was all from others in the group.
    The first level headed argument I've seen in defence of them. And I truly hope it was the case.

Surely if the two lads understood it to be consensual, they might have noticed that the person leaving the house was very upset. Any sort of a decent human being should be concerned about that, particularly if they just had consensual sex together.

Vulgarity is the least of the issues I'd have with their text messages. I'd have more of a problem with their attitude to women. Eileen Battersby wrote an article in Irish Times where she talked about being in the company of the Munster team (her husband was Munster's Press person), where young women would be actually throwing themselves at the players, but the players were able to restrain themselves and not take advantage of them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement