Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial discussion thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

goz83 wrote: »
    Please do explain and bless us all with your wisdom. If you make a statement like that, at least have the decency to follow through with a valid explanation.

The fact you need it explaining, explains a lot.

An irrelevant and salacious personal attack upon the person, rather than the substance of the issue. I dont know or care about her personal life, particularly the pathetic gossip coming from you. If we only allowed people present on TV who had a flawless personal life, there would be a lot of test cards on show.

You do realise telly presenters screen test and grow their experience in front of camera, precisely to achieve a charismatic relationship with the camera? Its kinda the whole point.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The fact you need it explaining, explains a lot.

An irrelevant and salacious personal attack upon the person, rather than the substance of the issue. I dont know or care about her personal life, particularly the pathetic gossip coming from you. If we only allowed people present on TV who had a flawless personal life, there would be a lot of test cards on show.

You do realise telly presenters screen test and grow their experience in front of camera, precisely to achieve a charismatic relationship with the camera? Its kinda the whole point.....

Yes, it explains that your one liner needed explaining, as it made no sense. Now that you have come back with a mostly irrelevant response to the issues that were being discussed, I will further explain to you what I was talking about.

The "attack" you mention was relevant to the point I was making. If you missed the point, it was that CB has intentionally made her personal life a spectacle for all to see. Far from gossip, this illustrates that she will do anything to get more attention which includes playing the audience. Often that means sacrificing a balanced debate in favour of a circus act. But oh wait.....look, the polls back us up. Polls and studies can favour the body paying the bill if such a body wants a certain result.

I wouldn't trust even a well balanced poll, as the results can be way off. Don't take my word on it. Ask Theresa May about the last election she called.

I don't care about a presenters personal life. In fact I DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT. Instead, certain TV presenters and celebrities can't get enough of thrusting their private lives upon us. Charisma is welcome, but not at the cost of balanced debate and reasoned discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    Maybe retype that post i haven't a clue what you're saying. For a start praying is 'preying'.

'all these thousand of Irish women where standing up for Women all over this Isand'. WTF??

They weren’t standing up for me!!!! I didn’t ask them to!!

This is the same Clare Byrne show which had an entire segment last year dedicated to the "I've just seen Imelda Quirke's arse coming down the ladder!" scene from The Commitments, and discussing how unacceptable that kind of talk is among lads and whether it's still ok to laugh at it because "it's from an older time". :rolleyes:

Generally I don’t mind CB however that lady that was on last night about changing your name when you get married (women taking husbands name) and how it’s demeaning to women ......what a load of skutch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

skearnsot wrote: »
    Generally I don’t mind CB however that lady that was on last night about changing your name when you get married (women taking husbands name) and how it’s demeaning to women ......what a load of skutch

There was a clip on rte news player about youngsters in the Seanad taking part in a debate. Well, it was more of a short story session, but it was highly focused on womens rights. I saw one token boy in there. A couple of them spoke about other equality issues which was good. Organised by Senator Bacik of course, so the content was to be expected. Just can't get a break from these types of stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,490 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

skearnsot wrote: »

Brendan O'Connor flew that 'name' kite on his programme too, not long ago. Must be a PR firm employed to get these topics into the national discourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

goz83 wrote: »
    There was a clip on rte news player about youngsters in the Seanad taking part in a debate. Well, it was more of a short story session, but it was highly focused on womens rights. I saw one token boy in there. A couple of them spoke about other equality issues which was good. Organised by Senator Bacik of course, so the content was to be expected. Just can't get a break from these types of stories.

I call her Senator Bad Chick:D

Brendan O'Connor flew that 'name' kite on his programme too, not long ago. Must be a PR firm employed to get these topics into the national discourse.

You can be absolutely certain that pr firms and others with access to the airwaves are pushing particular arguments. Constantly. It's not so long ago since the very top person in RTÉ, the chair of the RTÉ Authority, was also the head of one of the biggest spindoctor/pr firms in Ireland - and for good measure his wife tends to be a regular guest on Marian Finucane's show and many other such shows pushing all sorts of agendas under the guise of commentary. This family's gig with RTÉ and the media generally has been going on for decades. With their connections, they "made" so many politicians. And "payback time" has never stopped.

Not to mention their son on Today FM. And definitely never mention that 25-year-old employee who took her own life in 2011 having made allegations of bullying against the same PR firm, or the pr woman in the same firm whose claims of bullying were settled very quickly with a confidentiality agreement when it emerged that her colleague who had taken her life had also made similar allegations.

Whatever you hear on radio/tv, or read in a newspaper, be sure there's an agenda and some toerags rubbing their hands in glee that they got their spin into the public domain.

You can be absolutely certain that pr firms and others with access to the airwaves are pushing particular arguments. Constantly. It's not so long ago since the very top person in RTÉ, the chair of the RTÉ Authority, was also the head of one of the biggest spindoctor/pr firms in Ireland - and for good measure his wife tends to be a regular guest on Marian Finucane's show and many other such shows pushing all sorts of agendas under the guise of commentary. This family's gig with RTÉ and the media generally has been going on for decades. With their connections, they "made" so many politicians. And "payback time" has never stopped.

Not to mention their son on Today FM. And definitely never mention that 25-year-old employee who took her own life in 2011 having made allegations of bullying against the same PR firm, or the pr woman in the same firm whose claims of bullying were settled very quickly with a confidentiality agreement when it emerged that her colleague who had taken her life had also made similar allegations.

Whatever you hear on radio/tv, or read in a newspaper, be sure there's an agenda and some toerags rubbing their hands in glee that they got their spin into the public domain.

Nearly 40 years ago I did a course with this woman and I can honestly say I still have vivid memories of the feeling that I wanted to get out of the room asap.

Mother of God - good ole corrupt Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I guess the greatest irony is that the guys stand accused of being misogynistic, yet they have been driven out of their jobs by women who hate men.

They should have been suspended for a further two months and then allowed back into the team. There is no justice in any of this for the two guys. They have been found innocent, but driven out of their jobs by a lunatic mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Don't worry lads it wont get the stun hun down the road any attention to tweet about it, or it won't get the local Instagram blogger extra followers., so there be no mention of it as its just not as important as Rugby lads who where strangely enough found not guilty ,
    it defo wasn't about attention all these thousand of Irish women where standing up for Women all over this Isand against 4lads who where not guilty
    But sure never mind a Peado who pleaded guilty  praying on children !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has to be meant for the dumb Facebook status thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jackson heading to Clermont.
    Olding heading to Exeter.

Brilliant, two good enough teams and still in the Irish public eye. Delighted.

Disappointment for you then, those stories were just made up. Was thinking Clermont was too high a level for Jackson.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/clermont-distance-themselves-from-jackson-36814338.html

Cienciano wrote: »
    Disappointment for you then, those stories were just made up. Was thinking Clermont was too high a level for Jackson.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/clermont-distance-themselves-from-jackson-36814338.html

Yep, would have liked to see him at Clermont. Think he will still get a good team, he is too good and international calibre players are thin on the ground atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I guess the greatest irony is that the guys stand accused of being misogynistic, yet they have been driven out of their jobs by women who hate men.

They should have been suspended for a further two months and then allowed back into the team. There is no justice in any of this for the two guys. They have been found innocent, but driven out of their jobs by SPONSORS.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sharknose

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    I call her Senator Bad Chick:D

More like "Batty Chick"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yep, would have liked to see him at Clermont. Think he will still get a good team, he is too good and international calibre players are thin on the ground atm.

I think which ever clubs sign them will announce it during the summer when rugby is not getting any coverage. It will be a small press release that gets buried somewhere in the back pages because everyone has moved on. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened during the soccer world cup.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I think which ever clubs sign them will announce it during the summer when rugby is not getting any coverage. It will be a small press release that gets buried somewhere in the back pages because everyone has moved on. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened during the soccer world cup.

I think Clermont and Exeter will review how much opposition has come to the suggestion that they might sign (the story was a well managed leak I reckon) has come to them directly from their own fan base.

I wouldn't rule them out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think Clermont and Exeter will review how much opposition has come to the suggestion that they might sign (the story was a well managed leak I reckon) has come to them directly from their own fan base.

I wouldn't rule them out at all.

Might be a negotiation tactic-'we're not interested'-but more like a 'not interested at your current rate'... kinda deal.

He knows he needs a club, and they know it too-so he might have less negotiation than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Not in any way trying to diminish the importance of the story here regardless of your point of view, but  would this be news in France or even Britain for that matter.

I would regularly check some British media online and there was very little reference to this particular case, I would imagine even less so in France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Cienciano wrote: »

Did you? An irish fly half with 6N experience, ERCC experience and part of a team who beat SA at home with 14 men for most of the game.

Too high a level? Go away out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

joe40 wrote: »
    Not in any way trying to diminish the importance of the story here regardless of your point of view, but  would this be news in France or even Britain for that matter.

I would regularly check some British media online and there was very little reference to this particular case, I would imagine even less so in France.

I checked rugbyworld.com and they had no mention of it.

They did have a number of articles on homophobia in rugby and Israel whatshisname in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Appledreams15

They should have been suspended for a further two months and then allowed back into the team. There is no justice in any of this for the two guys. They have been found innocent, but driven out of their jobs by a lunatic mob.

Go on the lunatic mob.
    It was successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

I They have been found innocent, but driven out of their jobs by a lunatic mob.

Go on the lunatic mob.
    It was successful.
    I think you may be getting carried away in your bitter glee.

It appears to be reasonable to assume that the players have indeed been driven out for being misogynistic by a bunch of irrational misandrists.

Be absolutely sure of this, they'll both have lucrative contracts and new clubs very soon. You may very well implode with impotent rage when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Appledreams15

I think you may be getting carried away in your bitter glee.

It appears to be reasonable to assume that the players have indeed been driven out for being misogynistic by a bunch of irrational misandrists.

Be absolutely sure of this, they'll both have lucrative contracts and new clubs very soon. You may very well implode with impotent rage when that happens.

Why would I care if they sign for a club abroad? Let them make a living.
    I am happy they were kicked out of ireland. Delighted in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Go on the lunatic mob.
    It was successful.

That lunatic mob will always be looking for someone to attack, one day it could be you.

Good article.

Those who really are liberal – definition: willing to respect and accept behaviour and opinions different to our own – must fight this pervasive belief system that is threatening the most cherished of all liberties. Otherwise we are rolling back decades of progress that has created a western world where free speech is one of the fundamental tenets of society.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/larissa-nolan-political-correctness-will-hurt-us-all-in-the-end-1.3180394#.Wte5IOY495o.facebook

Why would I care if they sign for a club abroad? Let them make a living.
    I am happy they were kicked out of ireland. Delighted in fact.

Aren't you abroad with all the good/nice men? Utopia will be disrupted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I think we have lost the run of ourselves here. These guys were found not guilty so the punishment is for the way they talked about women on watsapp? Is that really something they should lose their entire careers over as some of their opponents seem to want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Aren't you aboard with all the good/nice men? Utopia will be disrupted ;)

I was just thinking the same thing. Imagine if they ended up in her hometown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement