Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Novak in a world of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'm not a fan of Nadal, so stands to reason I wouldn't want to see him win. I'm not a fan of Federer either, so don't count me as a "die-hard". Quite simply, I'm sick of the same players winning the same tournaments all the time and want the younger generation to start breaking through. I also don't like watching players steamrolling their way to the final with zero opposition, and coupled with the fact that I believe Nick is the best chance of preventing this from happening and the fact that I'm a fan of his, it's understandable as to why I'd want Nick to win. Not petty, I just support who I support.

But the reason he does win is that the new gen are just not good enough.
    This year the youngest slam champions will be 30.
    Right now there are no multiple slam champions in their 20s - absolutely crazy.

But don't take my word for it , I think Marat Safin knows a bit about the subject
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/marat-safin-interview-exclusive-champions-tennis-albert-hall-federer-nadal-murray-djokovic-a8085076.html

And I don't hate Nadal or Federer, it's not their fault, they can only beat who is on the other side of the net.

Rekop dog wrote: »

Must be very frustrating for him, elbow injuries are an absolute nightmare to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Looks like he is playing a younger version of himself, hard to see him winning this now, very uneven display. First tournament in 6 months is finally catching up with him.

lostcat wrote: »
    Looks like he is playing a younger version of himself, hard to see him winning this now, very uneven display. First tournament in 6 months is finally catching up with him.

More than that, an elbow injury like this just never goes away, unfortunately this is the end of Novak.

Which is very sad, considering the zero talent coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

lostcat wrote: »

Younger version of himself, yeah that's spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tough to watch really, he is obviously in a world of pain. Have to admire his resilience and determination to fight on though

7/6 7/5 7/6 was impressive from Djokovic considering the pain he was playing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

7/6 7/5 7/6 was impressive from Djokovic considering the pain he was playing in.

Very impressive, I was watching bits of it and he was wincing in pain on occasions. After 6 months of rest and rehab, this setback must be very worrying for him and his team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Chung was dictating points like peak Wawrinka vs Nole. Sad I won't get to see a potential Roger vs Novak but happy for Chung. He played excellently.

Really worried about Berdych next as a Fed fan. He's peaking atm.

• Advertisement

Tenneys Sandgren is quite an unlikely looking tennis player(or tenneys player), be more suited at a rodeo event. Some tournament for him though.

He'd be hoping he catches Chung on an off day which often happens after overcoming a great in the previous round.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Finally got to see some tennis over the weekend! Really impressed with how Kerber and Keys are playing!! Looking forward to their QF. I'm torn as to who'll win the women's title. Could be anyone of Kerber, Halep, Svitolina, Keys or Wozniacki.

I see why people are calling Chung a younger version of Djokovic. Mentally strong, quick on the court, gets back nearly every ball and flexible. Great start to the year for him. Hope he capitalises on this big win. Loved that Courier gave him the opportunity to speak Korean, nice touch and it got a big cheer!

So he has the same political leanings as more than half of UK who followed Farrage's Brexit advice and US who voted for Trump! He's basically just the average guy from America. Why is getting abuse for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So he has the same political leanings as more than half of UK who followed Farrage's Brexit advice and US who voted for Trump! He's basically just the average guy from America. Why is getting abuse for that?

I follow people I can’t stand and/or disagree strongly with just to read what kind of nonsense they are spouting today.
    It wouldn’t be any indicator of my own leanings.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Agreed. As long as he hits a decent tennis ball I could care less who he follows.

Just watching some highlights there. Impressive from Chung. Funny enough he actually reminds me of Agassi at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,691 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nadal-Fed due to meet at semis or finals?

Because he has different opinions then fascist neo leftists !!
    How DARE HE !!!

walshb wrote: »
    Nadal-Fed due to meet at semis or finals?

Final, as 1,2 seeds ..

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

splinter65 wrote: »
    I follow people I can’t stand and/or disagree strongly with just to read what kind of nonsense they are spouting today.
    It wouldn’t be any indicator of my own leanings.

More stuff here.

https://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/953976172475535366/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.digitalspy.com%2Fdiscussion%2F2260964%2Fthe-tennis-thread-part-32%2Fp62

https://twitter.com/amyohconnor/status/955391195710148608/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.digitalspy.com%2Fdiscussion%2F2260964%2Fthe-tennis-thread-part-32%2Fp62

Couple of (albeit heavily biased) blog posts about him here and here.

So yeah, I'd say we've got a fairly large indicator as to his leanings now. All I'll say is I hope Chung takes him out quickly and emphatically.

• Advertisement

It's a weird one. Perhaps the money is so lucrative for the lesser tournaments that they've "made it" without needing to win a slam. Like Alex Zverev at 20 has made 7 million in career earnings without ever reaching a slam quarter final. That ludicrous and doesn't even factor in sponsorship deals. Maybe his incentive to kick on is less than those 20 years ago who needed to win slams to turn over similar money. He probably will win some imo but the ridiculous money given is breeding spoilt brats such a Kyrgios who has all the talent in the world but poor discipline.

Like in terms of academy fundings and facilities and improved nutritional information and huge take up the sport has never been in a healthier place so they should be coming through in droves but that player born in the 90's stat is telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

It's a weird one. Perhaps the money is so lucrative for the lesser tournaments that they've "made it" without needing to win a slam. Like Alex Zverev at 20 has made 7 million in career earnings without ever reaching a slam quarter final. That ludicrous and doesn't even factor in sponsorship deals. Maybe his incentive to kick on is less than those 20 years ago who needed to win slams to turn over similar money. He probably will win some imo but the ridiculous money given is breeding spoilt brats such a Kyrgios who has all the talent in the world but poor discipline.

Like in terms of academy fundings and facilities and improved nutritional information and huge take up the sport has never been in a healthier place so they should be coming through in droves but that player born in the 90's stat is telling.

Judging by Zverev the other evening I don't think he is happy to sit on his Masters winnings. God knows what is happening to that generation though.

I mean they will get it through the older guys getting injured/retiring but then it will be tough to judge if they have finally improved or if the competition simply went a way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Poolband wrote: »
    Marat Safin is right, there is something not right with the current generation of tennis players. The fact no tennis player born in the nineties has won a slam is a shocking statistic and really illustrates how bad the current state of the game is.

This has to be one of the weakest eras for tennis in the history if the game, there should be slam winners coming through before they reach their 21st or 22nd birthday, it's just not happening.
    But what about the 1980s when THREE 17 year olds won Slams?? That couldn't possibly happen right now and would indicate that winning has got a lot tougher. I think we may actually underestimate the Big Three and just how impossibly good they are to maintain such dominance.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Judging by Zverev the other evening I don't think he is happy to sit on his Masters winnings. God knows what is happening to that generation though.

I mean they will get it through the older guys getting injured/retiring but then it will be tough to judge if they have finally improved or if the competition simply went a way.

Maybe it's also the case we should just be appreciative we got to live through a golden generation where the four stars dragged each other to such highs that it's unobtainable level for anyone coming through.

Like I'd know of a coach whose witnessed Murray's gym routines and he apparently takes his body to inhuman places on unparralled levels to any other sports star to give himself an edge. Looks like himself and Djokovic have broken their bodies trying to chase those heights now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Quite fancy Berdych to go all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just in case anyone missed this crazy point overnight :D

The stuff that's being unearthed from Sandgren's Twitter account is pretty shocking. He really is an utter c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Will be interesting to see how Chung goes against Sandgren, in a match he will prob be expected to win. He was really good today, but whenever Djokovic kept it together for a few games in a row he had the better of him I think (I didn't see the last few games.)

Sangren however is no Dkokovic, and I haven't seem any of his matches (or twitter feed)

Berdych is playing pretty well, but a bit like Cilic against Nadal, I can't see him having the belief to wrench the match out of Federers hands if/when he has the chance.

nobody has been tested yet (apart from Dimitrov maybe, and Chung) so its still difficult to gauge anybodies true level.

this lack of a consistent big 4 is rather disorientating

Seeing Mertens excel here reminded me of Belgian period of winners with Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters. Amazed to see they're still only 34/35 respectively, seems an age ago when they played. Just makes you respect the longevity of a Serena or Federer even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Edmund wins. A walkover for Nadal to reach the final now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement