Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I'd agree but to be fair when Dimitrov beat Kyrgios that was his only serious threat gone anyway

Delighted for Edmund, I never thought we'd see a new British major semi-finallist in this era. He always seemed like a good pro, so fair dues to him. Can't be easy getting little to no coverage at home given he's been in Murray's shadow for so long

Bar that Kyrgios match Dimitrov hasn't looked comfortable all week. I think he may just go on to become a player who always flatters to deceive

I disagree about Berdych being a contender, he's often breezed through a few rounds only to crash and burn against the first big 4 player he meets. Can I see him beating BOTH Federer and Nadal? I'm afraid not, and I think it's inevitable we'll get the big 2 in the final

As for Sandgren and Twitter I could not care less, but I don't take Twitter seriously in the slightest anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

With Nadal's path so far he hasn't played against anyone who's in a decent run of form. Edmund will be the exception, but he's currently ranked 49th in the world. Given his toughest opponent at the USO was Kevin Anderson you have to think it's remarkable luck how he's avoided anyone who can trouble him. He's gotten can's and pigeons without having to play well himself.

I think Berdych has a solid chance against Fed. Roger played the highest level of tennis I seen last year at Wimbly to beat Berdych and it was very tight. He also had to be at the very top of his game to beat him here last year too. He saved match point against him in Miami I think. He's extremely dangerous in this form and if Federer pulls through I'd be confident he'll win the tournament because his level will have to be top notch to beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

With Nadal's path so far he hasn't played against anyone who's in a decent run of form. Edmund will be the exception, but he's currently ranked 49th in the world

Eh Nadal is losing against Cilic and could lose that match. Why does everyone give him matches as if his opponents don't exist

sxt wrote: »
    Eh Nadal is losing against Cilic and could lose that match. Why does everyone give him matches as if his opponents don't exist
    Cilic's form going into the tournament was near awful and it's only improved during by small margins. He's doing pretty well today admittedly but his head to head against Rafa is shocking.

For Marin to actually win this he'll need to channel his USO14 self but his serve isn't the same and the mental clutchness left him when those 2 freak weeks where he was unstoppable ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

Is Edmond not really South African:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

C__MC wrote: »
    Is Edmond not really South African:pac:
    Well in the same way Ronan O'Gara is American.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Until the age of social media we had no idea what ideologies or politics any sports stars espoused.
    We know nothing about so many we’ve idolized all over the years.
    Anyone who is judging and condemning a sports person on their twitter/Facebook account needs a swift kick up the butt.
    Just enjoy the sports and stop your histrionics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

splinter65 wrote: »
    Until the age of social media we had no idea what ideologies or politics any sports stars espoused.
    We know nothing about so many we’ve idolized all over the years.
    Anyone who is judging and condemning a sports person on their twitter/Facebook account needs a swift kick up the butt.
    Just enjoy the sports and stop your histrionics.

Nah, anyone who says 'how is America racist if it voted for a black president' is a scumbag. He deserves all the condemnation he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Almost 11pm in Melbourne, do they not have a curfew time there. I have stuff to do!

:D

Nah, anyone who says 'how is America racist if it voted for a black president' is a scumbag. He deserves all the condemnation he gets.

How do you even function on a day to day basis in the real world knowing that literally millions of your fellow humans don’t agree with you on any level?
    It must make life very difficult.
    I’m not being sarcastic or caustic or anything.
    If I had to check the social media accounts of every person I come into contact to make sure they are someone with the same world views as me I would be trapped in my bedroom.
    What do we know about tennis players who don’t have social media accounts? How do we know how they feel about the trans gender movement or Harvey Weinstein?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nadal in big trouble now, he can barely move. McEnroe reckons he may concede.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Nadal in big trouble now, he can barely move. McEnroe reckons he may concede.

He really is suggesting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nadal concedes.

hes gone

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wow ... I know Nadal retired , but if Cilic reaches the final I really hope he can take it to Federer this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Berdy could face Cilic.

splinter65 wrote: »
    How do you even function on a day to day basis in the real world knowing that literally millions of your fellow humans don’t agree with you on any level?
    It must make life very difficult.
    I’m not being sarcastic or caustic or anything.
    If I had to check the social media accounts of every person I come into contact to make sure they are someone with the same world views as me I would be trapped in my bedroom.
    What do we know about tennis players who don’t have social media accounts? How do we know how they feel about the trans gender movement or Harvey Weinstein?

Haha. I function just as well as you seem to be doing. He thinks America isn't racist and I think he's a scumbag. Lol. It's not that deep. I have life long friends who hold worse views than him. You're the one who seems to be having difficulty that others have a problem with his views. Relax. Hope this helps.

It's Berdych's year imo. Thought he was outstanding against del Potro and he's beaten Federer at slams before.

That now means that Nadal has only beaten 1 top-tenner in a non-clay slam since the Aussie Open in 2014. And that was Raonic here last year - who was struggling with injury himself that day

While I'm disappointed to see Nadal injured I couldn't really deal with seeing him cruise to another final without beating any real tough opponent for him.

What a chance this could be for Kyle Edmund though. Cilic is rightful favourite but far from a world beater.

Cilic surprised me. He played really well. Edmund will be no gimme with the high risk tennis Marin plays but I expect to see him in the final. The Cilic - Berdych final prediction could well materialise.

• Advertisement

So the rest of the Big 4 are crocked but Fed remains standing despite having years on the rest of them. What a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Not sure about the legend re injuries, he took 6 months off and came back properly healed, the others are unfortunate that they did the same thing and are not healed.

One could surmise that Federer got better medical treatment/advise, but I imagine Djokovic / Murray get the best of the best as well..

its interesting that tennis players are generally quite adverse to surgery when compared to say rugby or soccer players...different types of injuries I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Cilic surprised me. He played really well. Edmund will be no gimme with the high risk tennis Marin plays but I expect to see him in the final. The Cilic - Berdych final prediction could well materialise.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Some call though tbf though:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Rjd2 wrote: »
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yup. Wake me when it's over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Don't think the Berdych form line is that strong. Del Potro was out on his feet after his gruelling match in the 40 degree heat against Khachanov in the previous round, thought he was gonna retire at times in that match so I think most players would have beaten him next match.

Good to see Edmund and hopefully next gen winner Chung make the semis though after all the talk of no younger players going deep in these slams anymore.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Yup. Wake me when it's over.

Cilic crying and pussing through the entire Wimbledon final last year kinda finished me forever with him.

What are the predictions for tonight/morning?

I expect Chung to just beat Sandgren in an entertaining match-up and Federer coming through in 4 or 5 very tight sets. I just can't bet against him!

Surely we've been here before numerous times with berdych?

Fly through a few rounds and then his limitations get shown up by the big 4

Federer has won the last 8 meetings and I'll be shocked if he loses this, albeit Berd has been impressive. I wouldn't rule out Sandgren at all, Chung may not be tuned in properly after the Djoker festivities.

• Advertisement

I fancy Sandgren aswell. Have been watching his highlights and I can't get over how confident he's striking the ball, amazing court coverage too

Chung is solid but is inconsistent and his result against a very hindered Djokovic is being so overblown it surely can't help but have an effect on him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement