Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Looking at the Tsonga/Kyrgios highlights here and caught some of the comments Jo said to Nick at the net:

Something like 'Good serve man, credit to ya, great game'. Don't think there's a classier guy on tour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Only one Slam winner in the last 16 of the women's. That surely cannot have happened since about 1890.

Halep - Davis what an absolute frikking EPIC!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Djokovic pulling off the wounded warrior routine here to an amazing affect

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sharapova utterly routined, which isn't surprising in the slightest.

I missed a lot overnight, very excited to see Osaka in her first slam R4, think she's got a chance against a possibly jaded Halep. Pliskova quietly making her way through the draw and nobody's talking about her, a possible contender to get to the final. Kerber obviously the big favourite, and I'd be quite happy to see her there. I really want to see an Osaka-Kerber SF though!

Another slam and more question marks for Zverev. When is the big breakthrough going to happen?

Would like to watch the Radwanska match later but it appears Eurosport not showing it, so have to make do with this exciting night session match between Federer and his pet dog called Gasquet. How many games with Richard get? I'll go with eight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Rekop dog wrote: »
    You'd hope Marton Fucsovics is being forced to give a whole lot of urine tests over this week

I'd just like to reiterate this lol. I mean a google image search of him should be enough evidence for a two year ban alone.

Yerwan im thinking the same thing about zverev. It really is so disappointing that he hasn’t at least made a final yet. So many of the “nextgen” players have been around long enough to have at least earned plenty of chances to win a big one.

It’s a sad state of affairs that the game will be dominated again this season by the old guard who haven’t had a full healthy season for years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Federer is playing really well. First time i've been able to see him live.

Prime Djokovic may well have returned. Worrying as a Fed fan. And also, Delpo :( At least he's picking up 3rd round points here as he isn't defending any from last year. Questions about his fitness. Berdych looks to be playing at a level where he was half unstoppable at Wimbledon last year. Himself and Fed's match there was the highest quality match of 2017 imo.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Yerwan im thinking the same thing about zverev. It really is so disappointing that he hasn’t at least made a final yet. So many of the “nextgen” players have been around long enough to have at least earned plenty of chances to win a big one.

It’s a sad state of affairs that the game will be dominated again this season by the old guard who haven’t had a full healthy season for years

He's still only 20 to be fair. Seems more a mental hurdle with him at the moment. Haven't seen him play anything near his best in one of the majors yet. He's very hard on himself, think he wants it a little too much at the moment, needs to relax and let his natural game flow.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Straight sets victory for Federer

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    He's still only 20 to be fair. Seems more a mental hurdle with him at the moment. Haven't seen him play anything near his best in one of the majors yet. He's very hard on himself, think he wants it a little too much at the moment, needs to relax and let his natural game flow.

I get he’s still very young. But he’s had a fair few chances and it’s not like he’s getting to the semis of grandslams and just missing out. I would love him or thiem or even dimitrov to be able to consistently challenge for the semis/finals and put more pressure on the oldies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

jr86 wrote: »
    Ah it pretty much is for Nadal, who only lost once to Cilic years ago

Bar one bizarre fortnight in 2014 Cilic will always be a complete choker in the big matches

What about Wimbledon last year? Making a final is hardly a choke. I'm pretty sure Cilic would have taken him there had Nadal not crashed out to Muller.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I get he’s still very young. But he’s had a fair few chances

Sort of making him a victim of his own early success there. Like Fed was almost 22 when he won his first Wimbledon and hadn't made a semi before that either. Still plenty of maturing and learning to do.

Fair enough with Dimi and Thiem, they'd want to be stepping it up soon if it's ever going to happen for them.

That’s all true. It’s jist so frustrating to watch him go from such high levels in some tournaments and just not even be able to make it to a quarter final yet

Thought Nick didn't have a hope after going down two sets, well he just won the third. Hoping he wins, I think he's the only one who's got a chance of stopping Nadal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Thought Nick didn't have a hope after going down two sets, well he just won the third. Hoping he wins, I think he's the only one who's got a chance of stopping Nadal.

Something I've noticed on here is the amount of negativity towards Nadal, "I hope player x wins to stop Nadal", "Nadal has an easy draw again, what a joke", etc, etc.

I don't get it, I never see such comments directed towards Federer, so perhaps these are comments from die-hard Fed fans, which might be understandable. Still would be fairly petty all the same. I'm a fan of both players, admire what they have done and what they have given us as tennis fans. I would like to see either of Dimitrov or Kyrigos win here, not because I want them to necessarily beat Nadal, but because it would be good for tennis if one of them were to win the AO outright, and we can finally have a new GS champion.

I'm not a fan of Nadal, so stands to reason I wouldn't want to see him win. I'm not a fan of Federer either, so don't count me as a "die-hard". Quite simply, I'm sick of the same players winning the same tournaments all the time and want the younger generation to start breaking through. I also don't like watching players steamrolling their way to the final with zero opposition, and coupled with the fact that I believe Nick is the best chance of preventing this from happening and the fact that I'm a fan of his, it's understandable as to why I'd want Nick to win. Not petty, I just support who I support.

Something I've noticed on here is the amount of negativity towards Nadal, "I hope player x wins to stop Nadal", "Nadal has an easy draw again, what a joke", etc, etc.

I don't get it, I never see such comments directed towards Federer, so perhaps these are comments from die-hard Fed fans, which might be understandable. Still would be fairly petty all the same. I'm a fan of both players, admire what they have done and what they have given us as tennis fans. I would like to see either of Dimitrov or Kyrigos win here, not because I want them to necessarily beat Nadal, but because it would be good for tennis if one of them were to win the AO outright, and we can finally have a new GS champion.
    Nadal is a grinding, ball-bashing, musclebound baseliner whereas Fed is a stylish, artistic, graceful all-courter. It always amazes me that Nadal has as many fans as he does, considering the tennis community would be associated with, shall we say, the more cultured set. But all a matter of taste I suppose, some prefer heavy metal to classical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nadal is a grinding, ball-bashing, musclebound baseliner whereas Fed is a stylish, artistic, graceful all-courter. It always amazes me that Nadal has as many fans as he does, considering the tennis community would be associated with, shall we say, the more cultured set. But all a matter of taste I suppose, some prefer heavy metal to classical.

Good analogy :D There is more than one way to skin a cat though, and a lot of people obviously like Nadals style of play. The dichotomy in their playing styles has contributed significantly to their rivalry, Fed trounces most players that play a similar game to him so, imo, tennis badly needed Nadal back around 05/06 when Fed was dominant. Anyway, let's not ignite this debate again, two great players.

Back on topic, I'm hoping Dimitrov can go one better this year and get to the finals, and then hoping he wins it. Would be great to see a new winner, and his talent merits a GS win

Nick lost me in the end, couldn't justify rooting for him to win. Felt bad for Grigor as well having to deal with all that nonsense on the other side of the net. I felt embarrased for Nick's family, they looked so stupid entertaining that rubbish. I couldn't believe how silly they looked, bopping up and down in the box and acquiescing to his every demand. When Nick gets a proper coach I hope he puts an end to all that and tries cutting out the hangers on.

Happy for Svitolina too, surprising really it's only her third grand slam QF. Should be close between her and Woz to get the finalist berth. Can't believe this is Woz's first QF in Melbourne in six years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nick lost me in the end, couldn't justify rooting for him to win. Felt bad for Grigor as well having to deal with all that nonsense on the other side of the net. I felt embarrased for Nick's family, they looked so stupid entertaining that rubbish. I couldn't believe how silly they looked, bopping up and down in the box and acquiescing to his every demand. When Nick gets a proper coach I hope he puts an end to all that and tries cutting out the hangers on.

Happy for Svitolina too, surprising really it's only her third grand slam QF. Should be close between her and Woz to get the finalist berth. Can't believe this is Woz's first QF in Melbourne in six years!

Delighted to see Dimitrov win especially in such a hostile atmosphere . The end of season ATP win seems to have done wonders for him. Some great tennis from both players today. He should make the semi's, cant see Edmund beating him.

As for Kyrgios, the guy could be a giant of the sport. I like the way he plays but I cant stand the carry on and drama that comes with him. Imagine how much better he could be if he could sort his head out. Actually scary thinking of how good he could be. Hopefully his father can have a word in his ear.

Not sure his father having a word would do any good, pretty sure he's defended his behaviour in the past, like his mother and idiot brother. Overall though this wasn't necessarily a bad loss, he played well but Dimitrov was just better.

So the AO bow to pressure and put Fed on during the day session, 26C and high humidity. Talk about elderly abuse :pac:

So the AO bow to pressure and put Fed on during the day session, 26C and high humidity. Talk about elderly abuse :pac:

To be fair that's getting off really lightly compared to the 42C of a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Nadal is a grinding, ball-bashing, musclebound baseliner whereas Fed is a stylish, artistic, graceful all-courter.

To characterize Nadal as just musclebound, grinding and ball bashing is very ignorant. I don't think any of his opponents would question his tennis skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Chivito550 wrote: »
    What about Wimbledon last year? Making a final is hardly a choke. I'm pretty sure Cilic would have taken him there had Nadal not crashed out to Muller.

What the tournament where he beat superstar players Muller and querrey to make the final where he did a top class rollover job?

That match by Keys earlier may have been the finest I've ever seen her play, just total destruction. Stands a real chance in the QF's, against whom most assumed would almost certainly Kerber.. but perhaps not! Hsieh-Kerber has been incredible so far, into a final set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

jr86 wrote: »
    What the tournament where he beat superstar players Muller and querrey to make the final where he did a top class rollover job?

His feet were riddled with blisters in the final wasn't a total rollover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

sxt wrote: »
    To characterize Nadal as just musclebound, grinding and ball bashing is very ignorant. I don't think any of his opponents would question his tennis skills

Yeah I can't believe the ignorance of that comment. One of the smartest, most skilful players there is. Nadal is also a far superior doubles player to Federer and most of the other best singles players so this label on him doesn't add up at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There is a lot ignorance around when it comes to nadal vs Federer. Seems people in both camps cant respect the other player. Im not a nadal fan, i dont like his game but still i can appreciate how good of a player he is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement