Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Tricky 3rd round tie for Rafa against Damir Džumhur on Friday morning, his improvement in the last 12 months has been substantial, made three ATP finals in tail end of 2017, good recent record against top 10 players too.
    LOL good try :) He has a virtual bye to the semis as usual, and Kyrgios will probably have imploded by then.

Sad to see Julia exit, as soon as she was talked up among the faves it was no surprise to see her crumble :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

LOL good try :) He has a virtual bye to the semis as usual, and Kyrgios will probably have imploded by then.

Sad to see Julia exit, as soon as she was talked up among the faves it was no surprise to see her crumble :(

Cilic in the quarter finals is hardly a bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yeah I don't think him/Fed are nearly as infallible as peak 2005-2012 years, a lot of their dominance last year was more due to fall of Murray Djoko and to a lesser extent Raonic and Nishi. They were four of the top 5 at this time last year, but all ended the year outside the top 10 due to injuries/dramatic loss of form.

The new younger group weren't quite mature enough yet last year either Zverev and Theim but should be a greater threat with experiences under their belts.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Comprehensive first set for Sharapova there, surely it's all downhill from here. I was expecting a three-set sh*tfest.

39° is a deranged heat to play high intensity sport in. Djokovic is an alien, Monfils looks close to collapsing but Novak barely sheds a drop of sweat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Deary me a bleak outlook for the men's tour indeed if this event has been anything to go by.

2 of the 3 best players at the Tour Finals have been knocked out already and Dimitrov and Thiem were both taken to 5 sets in round 2 ffs

39° is a deranged heat to play high intensity sport in.

Insanity. I played GAA matches in the mid 20s before as a fully fit young fella and I thought I'd die!
    I remember a few players collapsing here a few years ago and a fair few retirements. It's been one of the main arguments against the timing of this Slam

To be fair it probably had a huge effect on Goffin who has never been great in the heat. It's a real shame as he was superb at the end of 2017

I get the impression Dimitrov will never be able to handle any sort of expectation on him at Slams

Chivito550 wrote: »

Ah it pretty much is for Nadal, who only lost once to Cilic years ago

Bar one bizarre fortnight in 2014 Cilic will always be a complete choker in the big matches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Where can we see highlights? I will only get to see the Semis and the Final live for this tourney. Very frustrating!

ballyargus wrote: »
    Where can we see highlights? I will only get to see the Semis and the Final live for this tourney. Very frustrating!

From here on I'll only see the final and maybe bits tomorrow and Sunday

Damn timezone difference :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Ah he is now come on ..

• Advertisement

Wawrinka getting blitzed by some American. Stan looks like he's really rushed back here

Peak Verdasco in getting dragged to a 5 setter after a huge win in round one! I'll never take him seriously though, he's had way too many dubious matches in his career

jr86 wrote: »
    Wawrinka getting blitzed by some American.
    He's Tennys, plays tennis and is from Tennessee.

You'd hope Marton Fucsovics is being forced to give a whole lot of urine tests over this week🀣

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

You'd hope Marton Fucsovics is being forced to give a whole lot of urine tests over this week🀣

How dare you! Tennis is a clean, honourable sport! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Last Canadian gone. Bouchard got hammered by Halep although there were some good rallies. Her first serve was very inconsistent and overheads were poor. I'd like to have seen her slice more and slow her first serve down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

You'd hope Marton Fucsovics is being forced to give a whole lot of urine tests over this week��

in that heat it might take him a week to produce just the one, in fairness

the mens is still hard to call, it will take the weekend to put some shape on it. Djokovic looks better than I expected but not sure about his new serve (neither is he, which is a probably a bigger problem).

A wry smile was drawn by Feds comments (spoken from what is likely to be two weeks of evening slots) that people complaining about playing in 40 degree heat should just suck it up.

I still have a some hope of Dimitrov, Zerev (jnr) and Kyrigos making a splash.

Gonna get a chant going on Rod Lever for this match.

‘Khum my lady.
    Kumkhum my lady.
    You’re my butterfly,
    Sugar baby.’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I've looked at the schedule and I'm confused. If I want to watch the mens semi's next Thursday, do I take the Thursday or Friday off?

Thursday morning here = Thursday night there

Aren't the men's semis usually on different days though?

Such a meh feeling waking up to the results each morning, really nothing to write home about yet - it's been mundane for the most part. There's hardly even any potential round 4 matches to whet the appetite. Hopefully NK comes through this against Tsonga though, as the latter has had his chance now and the game really needs the younger players stepping up

Great to see Kyle Edmund into the 4th round though and what a chance to make a Quarter. Bizarre to think it's the second year in a row a non-Murray Brit made the 4th round here. He seems like a good guy though and I tend to cheer on our neighbours when Ireland are not involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Nadal's quarter needs more threats so it's crucial that Kyrgios makes it through (1 all atm). Tsonga's BH is too exposed against Rafa, I'd give him no hope there.

The prediction of Nadal - Džumhur as a potential banana skin has fallen a bit flat to say the least. He's getting routined here.

It's a pity all the good match-ups tonight are on so late I'd have stayed up to see some of them.

Kyrgios just doesn't look like breaking Tsonga's serve as it is. Relying on tie-breakers is always risky, until NK can really work on his return it's hard to see him being a consistent force

Agree with the above in that NK does look like the only one who can actually stop Nadal in his half

With potential p1sstake runs like this to quarter finals sure Nadal could still be making them when he's 40 at this rate :rolleyes:

Goes to show how daft writing off Murray is really, when guys like Scwartzmann, Seppi, and Carreno-Busta are making last 16s in slams these days.

Glad that's over I must say, did not want a fifth set. First grand slam 4th round for Kyrgios since Wimbledon 2016.

Yes Nick!

To be fair a Tsonga redlining on serve is a damn tricky 3rd round opponent when you look at some of the dross who made it through

I think (hope) Nick can serve Dimitrov off the court, which would set up a potential cracker v Nadal in the semi (they should both breeze quarters).

I really think tennis badly needs a mercurial talent like NK at the top of the game. He's a guaranteed headline generator anytime he steps on court and he's an incredible player too on form.

Definitely the clash of the 4th round himself and Dimitrov. GD will find it very tough keeping his nerve against a partisan crowd. He's holding his number 3 ranking terribly this week too - pressure really doesn't seem to suit him. When he had his slam 'breakthrough' in Wimbledon 2014 he fell off a cliff afterwards

https://twitter.com/christophclarey/status/954303484941058048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.digitalspy.com%2Fdiscussion%2F2260964%2Fthe-tennis-thread-part-32%2Fp42
    This is.. extraordinarily lucky. Let's hope Nick makes it to the SF's to sort this out :cool:

Little disappointed with tomorrow's schedule, Federer-Gasquet should not have a RLA night session. Now I know what Roger wants he gets, but if I wanted to watch someone roll over I'd simply say it to my dog, not watch it for a couple of hours on a tennis court. Really wanted to watch Barty-Osaka as well but the timing is too awkward.

https://twitter.com/christophclarey/status/954303484941058048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.digitalspy.com%2Fdiscussion%2F2260964%2Fthe-tennis-thread-part-32%2Fp42
    This is.. extraordinarily lucky. Let's hope Nick makes it to the SF's to sort this out :cool:

Little disappointed with tomorrow's schedule, Federer-Gasquet should not have a RLA night session. Now I know what Roger wants he gets, but if I wanted to watch someone roll over I'd simply say it to my dog, not watch it for a couple of hours on a tennis court. Really wanted to watch Barty-Osaka as well but the timing is too awkward.

:D:D:D

NK being the one to stop the fawn-fest Nadal/Fed final would be delicious. The outrage would be off the scale :)

There wouldn't be as many ruins if it was Dimitrov, who the tennis media love to fawn over anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

That is a crazy stat! Proves our point tbf.

Delighted Kyrgios pulled through in the end. The thoughts of Tsonga BH potenially going up against Nadal was ugly to think of.

Dimitrov - Kyrgios should be a whopper. See Nick edging that slightly. Virtual bye to the semis for the winner.

Aljona :( Whilst she's not exactly the kind of player you can rely on, I was hoping she'd make the 4th round and everything after that'd be a bonus. Wozniacki and Svitolina will both be breathing a sigh of relief I'm sure.

Everyone in that bottom half must fancy their chances of a making the final now, Svitolina and Wozniacki hardly inspire fear in their opponents.

And there goes Osty, maybe she's just not very good :(

• Advertisement

And there goes Osty, maybe she's just not very good :(

Kontaveit is no scrub either tbf.
    That is a crazy stat! Proves our point tbf.

Delighted Kyrgios pulled through in the end. The thoughts of Tsonga BH potenially going up against Nadal was ugly to think of.

Dimitrov - Kyrgios should be a whopper. See Nick edging that slightly. Virtual bye to the semis for the winner.

Well you'd hope so! Nick lost to Seppi last year.

Wozniacki moaning to the umpires again. Every f*cking match :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement