Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Other Sports" Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Apologies to anyone who took Button. The incompotence of Mclaren at times beggers belief absolute madness calling Button in with the track drying out:mad: went from 2nd to 13th in a matter of mins. I'll be praying for rain snow and ice tomorrow :pac: (just watching him now he's totally gutted looks like he about to cry) Mclaren you

@ 3ndahalfof6. Ruled him out because his decision making this year has been all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I fancy Hamilton to get the better start once again, and as for button he will attack big style, he seems to do better when ending up down the pack after qually,

I will still be backing Button for the top 3 finish, no doubt he will have a completely different strategy,

at some stage he will have to listen to himself, he knew it was the wrong call but still came in, but there will be better odds to be had now he is down the field.

I fancy Hamilton to get the better start once again, and as for button he will attack big style, he seems to do better when ending up down the pack after qually,

I will still be backing Button for the top 3 finish, no doubt he will have a completely different strategy,

at some stage he will have to listen to himself, he knew it was the wrong call but still came in, but there will be better odds to be had now he is down the field.

Also it'll be interesting to see if the RB's car has improved race pace wise since the mini break. The ferarri's could be the sticking point for him to get top 3 plus the first corner at the start we'll see how it goes. :( im already on him for win and top 3 not going in again. Best of luck with Hamilton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

A double to do for the opening games of the Rugby world cup (or a treble if you throw in Real Madrid to beat Getafe at 1/8 to better then odds)

USA +35 points against Ireland and Tonga +67 points against New Zealand

the double is just under 3/1 with paddypower.

Cant see Ireland beating anyone by 35 points tbh, and the all blacks could beat Tonga by 80 points if they want i guess but im willing to take the +67 points that they wont, they may ease up in the second half and save the players legs for the bigger tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

kryogen wrote: »
    A double to do for the opening games of the Rugby world cup (or a treble if you throw in Real Madrid to beat Getafe at 1/8 to better then odds)

Cant see Ireland beating anyone by 35 points tbh, and the all blacks could beat Tonga by 80 points if they want i guess but im willing to take the +67 points that they wont, they may ease up in the second half and save the players legs for the bigger tests.

I would strongly advise against this on the grounds that the Tongans may put out a weakened side in waiting for the games they have a better chance in. Even if they don't they are going to conserve themselves when they inevitably fall behind and also when the AB subs appear they will want to lay down a marker, so I may be proved wrong, but this sounds too risky. Would not put it past Ireland coming out of the blocks strongly either, (although I don't think they'll beat a 35 point spread).

• Advertisement

Just read a few articles about the race and from Button he sounded really confident he could of won the race only for the first corner stuff. They would of won had they not of messed up in qualifying. Anyway Button saves the day and gets my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

right folks, world cup is off in the morning and the NH rugby seasons are back on the go again.

my tips for tomorrow:

NZ v Tonga under 76.5 points (if you don't feel NZ will cover the 60ish then the 76.6 is for you... will tonga cover 16.5 against NZ?)

munster to bear glasgow @ 1/2 munster have a strong team out and should have beaten the dragons by more at the weekend if it werent for the yellow cards! glasgow are poor!

quins to beat northampton, quins are a very good team and should have a very good premiership season, taking last years form to another level imo.

london irish to beat sale sharks.. the irish were quite good against quins last time out and sale were beaten by worchester, can see teh irish nip this one!

any of ye any other thoughts for the world cup games this weekend?

Will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

world cup accumulator:
    Tonga +59
    Romania +34
    Namibia + 30
    Japan + 45
    Italy + 30
    USA +34

€2 bet, possible €128 return

Namibia and Japan are the two i'm most worried about in that accum

i agree with the London Irish pick, tempted go for all the provinces and london irish to win
    Connacht will have a big support at Sportsground against second string back line of Scarlets, strong Ulster team away to weakend Aironi, Leinster will want to put on big performance V a poor Dragons.. i'd be most worried about the Munster away, while glasgow are weakened, so are Munster and not sure how they will cope- worth a punt though

wprathead wrote: »
    world cup accumulator:
    Tonga +59
    Romania +34
    Namibia + 30
    Japan + 45
    Italy + 30
    USA +34

i agree with the London Irish pick, tempted go for all the provinces and london irish to win
    Connacht will have a big support at Sportsground against second string back line of Scarlets, strong Ulster team away to weakend Aironi, Leinster will want to put on big performance V a poor Dragons.. i'd be most worried about the Munster away, while glasgow are weakened, so are Munster and not sure how they will cope- worth a punt though

ha ha... im thinking of a france -40, fiji -30 double for tomorrow!! very strong france team named, and namibia are very poor. ireland made them look good four years ago!

good luck with the bets..

Will.

Will23 wrote: »
    ha ha... im thinking of a france -40, fiji -30 double for tomorrow!! very strong france team named, and namibia are very poor. ireland made them look good four years ago!

good luck with the bets..

Will.

1 down, 5 to go :D

yes i was going to go for France -40 as i know very little about Japan, but figured Japanese might put up big performance in first game
    regretted the Namibia choice moment i clicked- purely because Fiji become a class act come RWC time

so you double is looking good ha

• Advertisement

The hardest part of the double is up now, All Blacks only managed 41 points to Tongas 10 so a lot easier then I had been expecting, thankfully Dan Carter was not at his best, feeling confident the double will come up now, anyone think I should have a saver bet on Ireland on the handicap which is now around the 30 point mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

thoughts on Scotland -33 @ evens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Yardie

Headshot wrote: »
    thoughts on Scotland -33 @ evens?

Wouldn't fancy it mate. 3 main reasons
    1/Romania have a couple of very good players that play in French Top 14 who could cope with most of what Scots throw at them.
    2/ Game on in Invercargill where conditions will be very difficult so unlikely to be many scores.
    3/ Scotland have another match on Weds so if they are winning comfortably they may withdraw a couple of key players and allow Romania to grab a couple of late scores to spoil handicap.

Good preview here

http://www.3news.co.nz/Match-preview-Scotland-Vs-Romania-Pool-B-2011-Rugby-World-Cup-Rugby-Park-Invercargill/tabid/1534/articleID/225169/Default.aspx

Scotland to win by 1-12 points @ 12/1 on betfred ( 13/2 on pp) could be a very shrewd bet. Under 6.5 tries @ 1/2 also decent.

Yardie wrote: »

Scotland to win by 1-12 points @ 12/1 on betfred ( 13/2 on pp) could be a very shrewd bet. Under 6.5 tries @ 1/2 also decent.

hope you jumped on that Yardie, 34-24 win for scotland
    they were losing 24-21 at one stage though

some great performances by the so-called minnows at this RWC
    Japan, Namibia and Romania all put in great performances

I'm staying clear of the Arg-Eng game, to close to call- Argentina probably +13 but Hernadez big lose and England looked good V Ireland so they could beat that handicap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Yardie

hope you jumped on that Yardie, 34-24 win for scotland
    they were losing 24-21 at one stage though

some great performances by the so-called minnows at this RWC
    Japan, Namibia and Romania all put in great performances

I'm staying clear of the Arg-Eng game, to close to call- Argentina probably +13 but Hernadez big lose and England looked good V Ireland so they could beat that handicap

Cheers mate, just had a fiver on. But also had euro on Romania to win by 1-5 at 150/1 so was praying for that!

It's amazing the difference one big player can make for the minnows, Tincu was incredible for Romania.

Backing the minnows on the handicap definitely the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Nadal to beat Murray 3-0 this evening is 2/1

Nadal has yet to lose a set in this open, both players go into this game as their 3rd match in 3 days, but Nadal's match yesterday was considerably shorter than Murray's.

worth a small bit i reckon.

world cup accumulator:
    Tonga +59
    Romania +34
    Namibia + 30
    Japan + 45
    Italy + 30
    USA +34

still looking good for you!!

great result for you wprathead well done!!

cheers will

not bad 2euro bet haha

Tonga -6 (V Canada)
    Georgia +21 (v Scotland)

both them tempting, gonna wait for more matches to be available as only other 2 on PP at moment are Samoa-Namibia and France-NZ, and not sure about those games

the handicap on SA-Fiji be interesting

Edit:
    Romania +27 (v Argie- feel this one close to a banker as this will be a slugfest- mainly pens, stop start)

Maybes:
    Namibia +31 (V Samoa)
    Japan +59 (V NZ)
    Fiji +23 (V SA)

Will prob do 2 bets, one triple with Romania, Tonga and Georgia, and one with them 3 plus Namibia, Japan and Fiji
    the 6 Accum is 47/1

Came up quite easily in the end, the only real worry being Madrid strangely enough :) Did any favorite cover the spread? i went against with most bets and all came up that I did..... doesnt seem like anybody beat the handicap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheHopeful

I know its a long way off, but was looking at the betting for Wimbledon 2012.

Sam Stosur is 50/1 with Boylesports, 22/1 with Bet365, and 12/1 with PP. Massive variation there. Her record at Wimbledon is pretty poor in fairness but with a grand slam now in the bag she might be on an upward spiral. Worth a few quid e/w at that price anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Anyone fancy anything in the rugby in the early hours

Anyone fancy anything in the rugby in the early hours

Like the Georgia handicap of +17, wish I had of got on it earlier was at least +21 2 days ago. dunno if its worth it now

f**king never gonna underestimate those samoans again.. beat my Namibia +33 handicap.. 1st game fecked my accumulator ha..

have a triple going but Tonga need pull the finger out though..

Thinking of doing this accum today, can anyone pick any holes in it for me!!

Kerry to lift trophy gaa
    Bayern/ Villarreal over 2.5 goals
    Man City/ Napoli over 1.5 goals
    Benfica/ Utd over 1.5 goals
    Australia -12 rugby

€50 pays €377 with pp, €426 with Boyles:eek:

Looks solid apart from Kerry, and thats just because I dont have much interest in football

Looks solid apart from Kerry, and thats just because I dont have much interest in football

Cheers TitledBrain, im not too concerned about Kerry. Im just afraid of Ireland turning in a good performance and losing by about 10 points but tbh i cant see it. Id love to put Utd in straight also but afraid of Benfica poaching a goal.

Like the Georgia handicap of +17, wish I had of got on it earlier was at least +21 2 days ago. dunno if its worth it now

Should of followed this myself:mad::mad:

I was on the Georgia one, have to wait for Fiji game now, Tonga destroyed a couple of my dockets earlier :(

• Advertisement

not all to confident with it but did an accumulator:

England -42 @13/10
    Italy -23 @ 10/11
    France -30 @ Evens
    Samoa +8 @10/11
    Fiji +22 @ Evens
    Romania +20 @Evens

1 line at €1.00 per line
    Total stake for this bet: €1.00
    Potential returns: €67.06

I'm confident of Italy, France and Romania of doing their bit- the rest I'm not all to sure about

What does anyone think of the Australia game. Can they cover the -12? Could Ireland give them a game? Im not very up on Aus but want to include this in an accum, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Anyone having a bet? i know very little nothing about Golf,but having researched a little my view is The USA should be too good for the europeans.

8/13 for the USA to win(skybet) Stan James among others must feel its a foregone conclusion as they price the yanks up at 2/5.

any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

(taken from Bettingzone.co.uk)
    Sebastian Vettel to win at 5/4. Ten wins from last 15; can even wrap up title if things go his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Hender

Possible Heads up for anyone who prefers Will Hill.

Super League Grand Final tonight.

Special - Fosters Six Pack

Jamie Foster to Kick 6 or more Goals (Pens/Conversions only) 5/2.

Now Grand Finals are usually fairly close...my gut feeling is that points will be taken when opportunity arises.....5/2 for the goal kicker from the favourites to kick 6.....will most likely be on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

For Tour de France followers.

The link from the this thread may be bs but if the route provided is correct then it disproportionately favors those with a strong time trial. Cadel Evens and Bradley Wiggins should see their odds drop slightly but the real dark horse for next year will be Tony Martin. He'll be a team leader, no longer having to work for Cavendish. Nearly 100K of time trialing gives him about 2 mins over the next best time trialer.

He may or may not come in the top 3 but his odds will shorten dramatically if the route is correct.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056416059

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Route confirmed.

Martin down to 100-1 from 150 on PP. Still looks generous odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Currie Cup semi's today. Plenty of Boks returning so some of the teams are changed considerably.

Personally I quite like the look of the Sharks -10 at 10/11 and The Lions at scratch.

Sharks are boosted massively by the returning players and should have too much for the Cheetahs.

The other semi is very tough to call. WP are boosted as well but I just feel the Lions could have enough to see them off today and possibly go the whole way.

Just came across a tennis match tomorrow. Ivan Ljubicic is 8/11 to beat Michael Llodra. Think thats a great bet

Easy money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭seathestar

Starts tonight, a small treble for the winners of the group stage, few close groups here could go either way, but just for the interest over the next few days.

Went for:
    James Wade 11/8 (Chisnall, Jenkins, Pipe)
    Paul Nicholson 23/20 (Bates, Caris, Newton)
    Adrian Lewis 4/5 (Stompe, Phillips, Van Der Voort)

Just over 8/1 Bet365

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Anyone else betting on the Darts? On tonight from 7pm

• Advertisement

seathestar wrote: »
    Starts tonight, a small treble for the winners of the group stage, few close groups here could go either way, but just for the interest over the next few days.

Went for:
    James Wade 11/8 (Chisnall, Jenkins, Pipe)
    Paul Nicholson 23/20 (Bates, Caris, Newton)
    Adrian Lewis 4/5 (Stompe, Phillips, Van Der Voort)

Just over 8/1 Bet365

James Wade let me down, all won their games bar Wade, who lost his final game 5-3 against Jenkins. Top slot was tied on points,leg difference but Jenkins topped the group via h2h rule. Why couldnt Wade have won just one more leg! :mad:

Power Snooker a new alternative event with slightly different rules is back for its second year.

Rules : http://www.powersnooker.com/rules.php

Ronnie O'Sullivan won the inaugural event last season and with him in great form last night, winning the last round of the Premier League, i think he could taste success this year again. He generally does well in different variations of the game with time restrictions etc (Premier League, Snooker Shootout, Power Snooker) his natural ability, shot awareness and speed suits these formats.

For the interest 7/2 on the outright market will keep things interesting!

seathestar wrote: »
    Power Snooker a new alternative event with slightly different rules is back for its second year.

Rules : http://www.powersnooker.com/rules.php

Ronnie O'Sullivan won the inaugural event last season and with him in great form last night, winning the last round of the Premier League, i think he could taste success this year again. He generally does well in different variations of the game with time restrictions etc (Premier League, Snooker Shootout, Power Snooker) his natural ability, shot awareness and speed suits these formats.

For the interest 7/2 on the outright market will keep things interesting!

Like my last bet posted here on the darts, beaten right at the end and by a small margin! After getting through the 1st 2 rounds by small margins he crushed Robertson in the semis and in the final againgst Gould went around 150 points ahead only to lose that lead with a few mins left :mad: lost by 28 points, which in power snooker is not alot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

From bettingzone.co.uk
    5pts South Africa to win the World Cup at 6/1 (general).
    Oosthuizen and Schwartzel are a very strong, in-form pair who are raring to go.

For all that McIlroy remains the man most likely to take up the position vacated by Tiger Woods as the world's most dominant golfer, it's too easy to underestimate the quality of Charl Schwartzel and Louis Oosthuizen who combine to represent the five-time victorious nation.
    And while Oosthuizen might have had a poor first half of the year, his recent performances have been much more encouraging. Since the start of October, he's finished in the top 10 of every European and PGA Tour tournament he's played in.
    Schwartzel has simply had a fabulous year, with his Augusta victory the undoubted highlight. The PGA Tour rookie made the cut in all 16 starts and was 21st in FedEx Cup points entering the play-offs. In addition, he's fourth in the European Tour's Race to Dubai, finished fourth in the WGC-HSBC Champions, third in Japan a week later, and joint-top scored for the International team at last week's Presidents Cup.
    So, we've a pair of consistent, in-form, long-hitting players who've shown that they can bring their A-games to all corners of the globe. They're both Major winners too, so if it comes to the crunch we know they've got what it takes to get over the line.
    While golf's 'world cup' isn't as big a deal as other sports' equivalents, it's encouraging to read that Oosthuizen is relishing the prospect of teeing up with a close friend and two of the smoothest swingers in golf could go very low - take the 6/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Medium punter

Weekend rugby bets all bet365

I think there is great value in Treviso +6 10/11 against Leinster tomorrow.
    Treviso are a good team at home and are pretty much full strength. Leinster are much changed and missing their most influential- Nacewa, o brien, strauss, sexton, heaslip on bench. Think Treviso have a good chance at winning this actually and certainly at +6. I expect this will drop a few points by kick off.

Bath -2 away at Worcester 10/11. Reason being is basically Bath are a much better team. Should at least break even upfront and their backline has plenty of points in them to beat that handicap.

Ulster to win by 1-12 points at Glasgow 21/10. This will be a tight match but I think Ulster should shade it. Both teams have made changes since last week but I think ulster has the better squad so able to put out the better team.

Connacht +4 10/11 at home to Ospreys. Connacht at pretty much full srength (- Griffin) , ospreys have made quite a lot of changes, paricularly in the pack. Connacht will be gunning for a win after the heineken cup where this team was very unlucky not to get at least a bonus point. I think they might win in front of the home crowd but have back them with the +4 as they struggle to put teams away at times and they might need that cushion, or my nerves might need that cushion!!

Also did a smaller punt accy at 5.95-1
    Treviso +6, Bath -2 and Connacht +4

Munster v Edinburgh- first score Munster Penalty @ 13/8

won last night with Scarlets first score pen and Glasgow first score pen- here's hoping get a 3rd

Connacht give away alot of pens, so Ospreys first score pen is tempting but don't wanna bet against my team

EDIT: Keatley missed kickable pen- then Munster go and score try from the reset *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

Premier League Snooker
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ding Junhui
    27th of Nov 2011 7:35 pm
    Handicap Betting
    Ronnie O'Sullivan (-1.5) @ 1.80

Ronnie looked in very good form in beating Williams yesterday. Ding also played well but he beat a Trump who was having a v bad day on the long potting front.
    This match is first to 7 and i think Ronnie will win 7-3 or 7-4.

Biarritz v Bayonne

First score- Biarritz pen @ 13/8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

FOXFISH1 wrote: »
    Premier League Snooker
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ding Junhui
    27th of Nov 2011 7:35 pm
    Handicap Betting
    Ronnie O'Sullivan (-1.5) @ 1.80

Ronnie looked in very good form in beating Williams yesterday. Ding also played well but he beat a Trump who was having a v bad day on the long potting front.
    This match is first to 7 and i think Ronnie will win 7-3 or 7-4.
    Great call on the handicap, I'm surprised you havent quoted yourself to gloat about it yet :pac:

Biarritz v Bayonne

First score- Biarritz pen @ 13/8

Le BOOM:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement