Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012 Tour de France Route Published

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Looks like a hoax! Not enough mountains! Perhaps it's a work in progress? Or some of the stages designated incorrectly?

Edit - On second thoughts I think this could well be the real deal. A hilly TT and a lot of intermediate mountain stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Tony 'TT' Martin FTW !!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Looks like a hoax! Not enough mountains! Perhaps it's a work in progress? Or some of the stages designated incorrectly?

No hoax! I screen grabbed it off the Le Tour website. It has now been removed.
    I was looking at the 2011 site and wondered what I would see if I changed the url from 2011 to 2012. I think there must be a lot of shouting and swearing going on in Paris right now.

No hoax! I screen grabbed it off the Le Tour website. It has now been removed.
    I was looking at the 2011 site and wondered what I would see if I changed the url from 2011 to 2012. I think there must be a lot of shouting and swearing going on in Paris right now.

Sorry vp, I didn't mean to imply you were the hoaxer, more the hoaxee:).

Anyway it does fit in with what's been going around the rumour mills so I would think it is genuine. Looks like somebody will be looking for a new job!

Not a route it's easy to get excited about! Hopefully a few windy stages to liven things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The guy that plans the route for the tour every year has been interviewed several times in the past number of years in Procycling magazine. He has wanted for many years to plan a route with very few mountain top finishes. His idea was a race with more suspense and a race that went back to the old days, when there were fewer high mountain finishes than presently.
    IIRC, he (and the ASO) prefer if the race is won by a more rounded cyclists (like Evans for example, as opposed to Schlecks).
    I imagine that there will be lots of lumpy and medium mountains added when the exact route is fleshed out.
    I have to say, I cant wait. I hope its a success.

• Advertisement

Available at 250/1 on sportingbet.com:pac: Is it possible? Can he get enough time in TT's and then defend it in the mountains?

Looks like a nice route for Evans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Available at 250/1 on sportingbet.com:pac: Is it possible? Can he get enough time in TT's and then defend it in the mountains?

I'll give you evens that he won't.

Raam wrote: »

.....but would you give me evens on Evans (w/o Conti & Wiggo) ?

Are they dumbing down this TDF and then giving us a blockbuster next year for the anniversary ? It will be hard to top last years route, it worked out perfectly, I looked back at the last two MTF stages recently (in HD) and they were spectacular, racing & scenery, I've put a 'K' on them on the Sky box.

Raam wrote: »

Hmmm, I'd better do the maths. Let's say he makes a total of 5 minutes over the usual suspects in the TT's, and then loses a total of, say, 90 minutes in the mountains. Nope, I guess it's not going to happen. Evans at 10/1 mightn't be a bad bet, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Hey, VP

Now your even more famous - worldwide exposure courtesy of CN!

"The first website to catch the big fish was Velopeloton.com and the news spread quickly.

Unofficial leaks have always existed in the days prior to the event held in Paris' Palais des Congrès, but this sort of large-scale error has no precedent."

I hope the ASO dont have hitmen on their books.....!

• Advertisement

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Hey, VP

Now your even more famous - worldwide exposure courtesy of CN!

"The first website to catch the big fish was Velopeloton.com and the news spread quickly.

Unofficial leaks have always existed in the days prior to the event held in Paris' Palais des Congrès, but this sort of large-scale error has no precedent."

I hope the ASO dont have hitmen on their books.....!

I be camping out in the woods up the Col du Spandelles for the next week! It will be like Ruby Ridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

That wailing noise outside is not the wind, it's coming all the way from Luxembourg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

:D:D:D

I predict a lot of traffic to your website today !

:cool:

Should I be worried?
    Hinault-Paris-NiceSmall.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Should I be worried?

hell yes the badger is on his way as we speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Isn't this what many have predicted anyway - that it would be a 'flatter' course?

Tony Martin might not be such a bad shout for the overall but surely one guy who must fancy this as a target is Philippe Gilbert. BMC power struggles aside It screams an attacking rider.

Disappointed though, I thought there might have been a massive rolling stage 230+kms before the rest day. Puy de Domme was mentioned early on as a possibility but obviously the Tour caravan is just too big.

Plenty of pissed off folk on other forums. Will Prudhomme go with this route or change it if fan noise persists?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 therightstuff

Should I be worried?
    Hinault-Paris-NiceSmall.jpg

Spoke to Martin Earley on this- he was in the peleton when Hinault threw it onto the big ring and rode straight into the strikers!

Well done Paddy- you are so popular your website has crashed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I like the sound of the finish location for stage 7: La Planche des Belles Filles

The end of stage 13 could make for some interesting helicopter shots :eek:

Nice scoop, velopeloton :D

The server for velopeloton seems to be suffering (no surprise) so I'm attaching the image here. Hope no-one objects.

177491.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Spoke to Martin Earley on this- he was in the peleton when Hinault threw it onto the big ring and rode straight into the strikers!

Is that a young Phil Anderson in the background?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

The dark forces of the ASO at work already?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Yes and I think it's Stephen Roche at the left edge !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

10 Road stage Weds 11 July Mâcon > Bellegarde-sur-Valserine 194 km

looking forward to this as ive ridden both the grand columbier and the biche (although in the opposite direction to this) they must have looked at my garmin log)

something like
    177520.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

RobFowl wrote: »
    Yes and I think it's Stephen Roche at the left edge !

And the protestor fleeing on the right looks remarkably like Alan Partridge (Steve Coogan):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

are these being removed from the web? I notice some links have suspiciously ceased working

My webhost sucks. The site is getting about 1000 visitors per minute and the site just keeps crashing. They assure me it will be back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Paddy
    What 2 will be the Etapes in your opinion

Esroh wrote: »
    Paddy
    What 2 will be the Etapes in your opinion

Albertville > La Toussuire

&

Bagnères-de-Luchon > Peyragudes
    or
    Limoux > Foix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

xz wrote: »
    And the protestor fleeing on the right looks remarkably like Alan Partridge (Steve Coogan):D

"No, not my face, I'm doing a photo shoot tomorrow for Vision Express"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

Limoux > Foix

I wonder how long it will take Ryanair to cop on to this and jack up the prices of the flights to Carcassonne when it's on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

ssssssssshhhhhhhhhh.....!!!!!!!!!! SACH !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Official Routemap:

http://twitpic.com/7243q6

426813918.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Best get trainin' this weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

tony martin is definitely worth a bet to make the podium....90ks of tt'ing, he'll put 4-5 mins into everyone, plus he wont be riding for htc so less work to do supporting cavendish.

contador to win (if he takes part)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Tony Martin all the way. Quick-Step will be built around him. No more energy wasted chauffeuring Cav to the finish line.

Down to 100-1 from 150 on PP. Still looks generous odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

He'll put 4-5 mins into the nearest TTer. Maybe 10+ into some of the contenders. 96.1K of TT, including prologue.

• Advertisement

My €10 went on last week :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

GetWithIt wrote: »
    He'll put 4-5 mins into the nearest TTer. Maybe 10+ into some of the contenders. 96.1K of TT, including prologue.

In a one off TT maybe but a 3 week tour with mountains is another kettle of fish. He will not stay with the climbers on the big slopes and he won't take 4-5 minutes out of Evans or Contador(if riding) in the TT. Possible Top 5 at best. He will excel in the one week tours that have a TT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

From this far out, it is difficult to see past COntador or Evans. Wiggins will have a great opportunity to finish on the podium.
    Sadly, Roche and MArtin will very likely struggle in a tour like this. If I was Roche, I wounldnt even do it - concentrate on something else and win it. Martin is unlikely to be picked for this tour I feel.

Advertisement