Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Other Sports" Thread

• 28-01-2011 7:09pm
    Moderators Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

This thread will be used for all other sports that aren't covered by their own one.

The NBA thread is here, whilst the Football thread is here.

There's also a Horse/Greyhound Racing section for anyone wanting to post there, it's located here.

So pretty much every other sport comes in here until we think of something better. NFL, Cricket, Tennis, etc etc, all goes in here.

Same rules as everywhere else.

No bitching, no after-timing, no snide digs at people and so on.

G'luck folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

in on this potentially epic and profitable thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Should be an interesting game in the A international in the rugby tonight. It's in Scotland and they're on decent form with some big names in the side. But I quite like the look of the Irish team and if we can match them up front, our backs should have plenty to cause them problems. It's 6/5 for an Irish win and it's a price I'm willing to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Should be a good game in the international table tennis tonight.
    Kim Young Wong 1/2 favourite,I fancy the Dutch fella though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Should be a good game in the international table tennis tonight.
    Kim Young Wong 1/2 favourite,I fancy the Dutch fella though.

I did'nt know your a shirt lifter greetings :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Bumsex

robbie1977 wrote: »

i have to say that was a poor one robbie and you should take it back..:p

on a side issue, tonight Ding Junhui is playing a bit of snooker,different style,there against the clock,will be interesting to see,its a worry that the new rules tonight could play advantage to the under dogs but hes just too good of value at 4/6..im on anyway..

heres a quality link to the games tonight if interested.
    http://embed.zonein.tv/plkgftdhgfhydfyhayer.php?id=131871&w=900&h=700

• Advertisement

Haha I didn't mean it like that :mad::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Bumsex wrote: »
    i have to say that was a poor one robbie and you should take it back..:p

So says 'Bumsex'! :pac:

Have to say, I'm looking hard at Clijsters to win 2-0 tonight. Available at just under evens. Li Na had a good game against Woz, great spirit to come back in that game from a set down, but Clijsters is another matter. She won't break mentally, and if Li makes near the same amount of mistakes as she did in the semi, Kim should do it in two sets.

Looks like this thread died a death fairly quickly. :(
    On the off-chance that anyone is going to use this thread, I'll just throw this out there.
    Who fancies Murray in the Aussie Open? I can't see past Nole myself, but the odds are a little stingy at 4/6 for a single.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Can't see murray winning, potential lump on novak? Or a double with big zeb in punchestown 2moro perhaps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Bumsex

only1stevo wrote: »
    Can't see murray winning, potential lump on novak? Or a double with big zeb in punchestown 2moro perhaps..

im already on it along with a bb game,,looks nice,big return,but anythings possible.

• Advertisement

Im thinking of going big on over 40.5 games at 10/11 in the Murray game.

I cant see it being 3-0 to either player and hopefully 1 set goes 7-6 so a 3 sets to 1 to either player should win the bet or a 3-2 either gauranting it.

Im thinking of going big on over 40.5 games at 10/11 in the Murray game.

I cant see it being 3-0 to either player and hopefully 1 set goes 7-6 so a 3 sets to 1 to either player should win the bet or a 3-2 either gauranting it.

Becker reckons that Murray is fitter than Nole and will try to string out the rallies. If that then goes to five sets, it could be a very long match indeed.
    To be honest, I reckon Murray has a bit of a glass jaw. He could be surprised at Djokovic's form. But they're very similar styles of players. I just think Nole has the edge. I wouldn't rule out a 3-0, though personally I think 3-1 is more likely.
    For the game to go to 41 points or more, you're looking at four long sets minimum or five average ones. It would only take one set to be blasted through quickly to blow the bet. But if Murray can match Djokovic, then it could well be a good runner.

Becker reckons that Murray is fitter than Nole and will try to string out the rallies. If that then goes to five sets, it could be a very long match indeed.
    To be honest, I reckon Murray has a bit of a glass jaw. He could be surprised at Djokovic's form. But they're very similar styles of players. I just think Nole has the edge. I wouldn't rule out a 3-0, though personally I think 3-1 is more likely.
    For the game to go to 41 points or more, you're looking at four long sets minimum or five average ones. It would only take one set to be blasted through quickly to blow the bet. But if Murray can match Djokovic, then it could well be a good runner.

Yea your 100% right about a 6-1 or 6-2 set fooking up the bet .

l dont realy fancy Murray will win it but l cant see him lying down without a fight .(I know fook all about tennis tho and looking at the results so far anything can happen)

Im just after seeing Stan james are going over 38.5 and bet365 are over 39.5 both at 8/11 so my pp over 40.5 at 10/11 maybe isnt as appealing now.

Yea your 100% right about a 6-1 or 6-2 set fooking up the bet .

l dont realy fancy Murray will win it but l cant see him lying down without a fight .(I know fook all about tennis tho and looking at the results so far anything can happen)

Im just after seeing Stan james are going over 38.5 and bet365 are over 39.5 both at 8/11 so my pp over 40.5 at 10/11 maybe isnt as appealing now.

It's a bet I never do because of the possibility of someone blasting through a set, not in any tennis game.
    I prefer set betting. You can see how the first set goes, then assess the likelihood of someone doing straight sets and get good odds when the match is obviously heading in one direction. This works better in women's and doubles matches, though, where there's only 2 sets to win. I won't be betting on sets tomorrow, though I think it will be Djokovic 3-1 or 3-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭CriticEyes

Ok gonna do this quick. Don't know much about NFL. PP in play. American football.

AFC 0 - NFC 35. PP offering NFC -24. Seems good to me. PP are offering it. Only 2nd Qtr. good luck

42-0 now. I have them -24 and -25. Let me know if i need to post a screenshot. Not sure if anyone even watches this.

Can still get -28 and they are 42 down. thats 2 TD's and still be a push. Am i getting something wrong here.??

What an awful bet. Last time i bet on something i don'i know much about. Raging anyway. 42-28 now. My bets are fooked. How do the bookies always know. Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

CriticEyes wrote: »
    What an awful bet. Last time i bet on something i don'i know much about. Raging anyway. 42-28 now. My bets are fooked. How do the bookies always know. Unreal

Its the fookin pro-bowl man, its barely a competitive game.

Defenses cant blitz or play anything but a base 4-3 defense.

RichieD wrote: »
    Its the fookin pro-bowl man, its barely a competitive game.

Defenses cant blitz or play anything but a base 4-3 defense.

yep! I know that now. Was told to leave it before it started. But the lads were gonna be 42-0 up and PP were offering -24 and -25 seemed good at the time. Wish i didn't touch it now............

Big gamble gone on the clongowes pres bray leinster senior cup game tomro, clongowes were -12 earlier and are now -18, got in at -16, it's a serious error by pp in my eyes, should be a lot bigger..

only1stevo wrote: »
    Big gamble gone on the clongowes pres bray leinster senior cup game tomro, clongowes were -12 earlier and are now -18, got in at -16, it's a serious error by pp in my eyes, should be a lot bigger..

any reasoning for this? worth going in on @ -18? hardly? Worth going in at +18 seeing as the handicap has shifted so much or is there a good reason for it? :D

• Advertisement

Yes, I woke up today shocked to see they were minus 12 and by the time i had a chance to back them they were minus 16. They are favorites for the competition, pres bray don't feature in the outright betting. Lots of the same players from last year are on the team, who hammered michaels in the final, including the whole back row.
    minus 12 was the free-est of money in my eyes, -18 is still very good value all things considered too.

20-0 up at half time, finished 25-0 so happy days.

• Moderators Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Well done Stevo.

This thread has taken off well... :pac:

x PyRo wrote: »
    Well done Stevo.

This thread has taken off well... :pac:

sure no point in postin up just pure ****e!! should be more posts when the six nations gets into full swing

It's quality not quantity Pyro...

What do ye fancy for the rugby lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I'm going to wait and see how the games are going and bet in running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I fancy France, England and Ireland to cover the spreads.
    Wales are missing some key players in the pack and England are looking strong atm, -3 is a decent spread, imo.
    Ireland should have enough to dominate Italy, who are set to be whipping boys again.
    France's pack is very good, I'm guessing pure domination, tbh.

I'll probably have a look at the live betting as well, though.

baz2009 wrote: »
    I fancy France, England and Ireland to cover the spreads.
    Wales are missing some key players in the pack and England are looking strong atm, -3 is a decent spread, imo.
    Ireland should have enough to dominate Italy, who are set to be whipping boys again.
    France's pack is very good, I'm guessing pure domination, tbh.

I'll probably have a look at the live betting as well, though.

i agree with this but don't think i'll be having any bets in the first weekend though, i'd rather wait for next weekend or live betting like you said

• Advertisement

Have been researching this all week and it's still quite tight to call. Have to fancy England tonight but they haven't won in Cardiff in a long time and Wales are always capable of raising their game although I think they'll lose this in the scrum. I'll see what the line is for the French game tomorrow and will probably end up backing Scotland on the handicap. In regards to the Irish game, it's the hardest to call I think and will probably lean towards backing us on the handicap for a couple of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

5/2 are great odds for a drop goal in England Wales game.. Gonna stick €10 on that myself

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/rugby-union/six-nations-matches?ev_oc_grp_ids=57678#link_2391083

I am only going to put a small bet on Wales(Wales always give it socks in Millenium arena), Scotland(france were shocking in Autumn and have a couple of dodgy players- Traille at fullback and Huget on the wing)and Italy(always are mad up for first game of championship and Ireland missing players in key positions.No.8 and fullback) to all beat their handicap.

Sean O'Brien is in terrific form and worth a punt for man of the match at 11/2 .Parisse at 14/1 is also worth considering as Ireland are missing a few key players in the backrow so he could dominate there and keep the score respectable for Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

joebucks wrote: »
    Sean O'Brien is in terrific form and worth a punt for man of the match at 11/2 .Parisse at 14/1 is also worth considering as Ireland are missing a few key players in the backrow so he could dominate there and keep the score respectable for Italy.

I wouldn't say we're missing players in the back row tbh, Leamy is the only one there's a doubt about whether he should be there imo.

Great shout about Parisse though, usually churns out one MoM award every 6 Nations, and with O'Leary at scrum half I can see Parisse and Zanni targeting him and Sexton.. Can't see him winning it against Ireland, but worth a shot anyways...

Counted the money I've saved over the last few months, 100 euro in my pocket for betting now.. I've gone with a 50 euro double on Ireland and France to win at the weekend. Only wins me a tenner, but I really can't see Scotland or Italy even having a chance in the games.

Since this is under Other Sports, I've put 50 euro on the Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort Middleweight Championship fight at UFC 126 not to go the distance, again, only wins me 15 euro but I can't see it going to a decision whatsoever.

Stuck a cheeky 1 euro accumulator on Belfort, Rocha, Griffin and Bader to win on Saturday night, wins me 89.58, can't see it coming through, but might as well, its only a euro :P

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Con1110

Gone with
    England -4
    Ireland -12
    France -14

20euro stake
    odds just above 6/1

ScareGilly wrote: »
    I've gone with a 50 euro double on Ireland and France to win at the weekend. Only wins me a tenner, but I really can't see Scotland or Italy even having a chance in the games.
    Was a bit worried with 10 minutes to go :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Whats the crack with the super bowl lads?

I've never even seen an american football game, but wanna have a small bet and a look at tonights game to see what its all about.

So any recommended bets?

• Advertisement

Don't really have a clue about American Football but I just put a fiver on Roethlisburger for MVP at 3/1..

Just put another fiver on the MVP to thank the coaches first in his speech at 8/1

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

France(-1) @10/11 against us on sunday... Can't wait til the alternative handicaps become available. With our scrum and total lack of creativity the French should be beating us by at least 10pts. Think we'll up our game but can't see getting anywhere near them. If they turn up, we're gone.

What ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Personally, I can't bring myself to back against Ireland in anything. But I would expect France to hammer the shíte out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Sir Vival wrote: »
    France(-1) @10/11 against us on sunday... Can't wait til the alternative handicaps become available. With our scrum and total lack of creativity the French should be beating us by at least 10pts. Think we'll up our game but can't see getting anywhere near them. If they turn up, we're gone.

What ye think?

Line has gone to France(-2) @10/11 now. I've taken that, can only see the line going one way over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

anyone got thoughts on the darts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Scotland, France and England winning margin of 1-10 pays 28/1 ..I think this is a decent bet

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

England -22 is a clever hcap against Italy.
    1st impressions naturally is that its too much.... but then i'm not too sure.
    Firstly, England aren't gonna make the same handling errors against Italy that we did.
    They're a stone wall in defence.
    They're at home.
    Wilkinson's gonna have a field day ,and, Italy aren't gonna score a try .
    The only thing Italy have in their favour is that they will rack up a few 3pointers themselves.
    Lets say Italy score 4 pens = 12 points, to cover the hcap England would need 35 points = 3 trys and 5 pens. Thats do-able.

Italy are a funny team , its hard to gauge them. What are the thoughts on this one guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

My heart is giving Ireland the edge over France .
    I suppose i'm remembering that the boys can raise it when they need to.
    They put in a great shift against the All blacks in the autum friendlies even though they lost and if they start off like that they'll win.

France were a disgrace against Australia in the same friendlies and Scotland put 3 past them last weekend(at home).
    Theres just something too pissy about the French.
    I'm leaning towards Ire +3 at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

England -22 is a clever hcap against Italy.
    1st impressions naturally is that its too much.... but then i'm not too sure.
    Firstly, England aren't gonna make the same handling errors against Italy that we did.
    They're a stone wall in defence.
    They're at home.
    Wilkinson's gonna have a field day ,and, Italy aren't gonna score a try .
    The only thing Italy have in their favour is that they will rack up a few 3pointers themselves.
    Lets say Italy score 4 pens = 12 points, to cover the hcap England would need 35 points = 3 trys and 5 pens. Thats do-able.

Italy are a funny team , its hard to gauge them. What are the thoughts on this one guys?

Wilkinson is on the bench and England were no great shakes against Wales. Italy played well against Ireland and you have to credit them for the aggression and pressure they put on Ireland to force the errors. Parisse had a great game against Ireland and would be streets ahead of any English backrow player and will cause Eng problems. So would fancy Italy to beat the 22pt handicap in this one.

The Ireland France game is very difficult to call as you would fancy the French pack to mill the Irish pack. If Ireland are to step up and compete with the French pack, it is gonna require a huge performance from Paul O'Connell so if you fancy an Irish win, O'Connell Man of the match at 16/1 is definitely worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Esox Lucias

Any thoughts on the Ire v Fra U20s game tonight lads?

At first I thought Fra -1 was a great spread. But a mate that plays for Buccs said the Ire U20s looked very impressive when playing Buccs first team awhile ago.

Anyone with some expertise on U20s on here would be great.

Any thoughts on the Ire v Fra U20s game tonight lads?

At first I thought Fra -1 was a great spread. But a mate that plays for Buccs said the Ire U20s looked very impressive when playing Buccs first team awhile ago.

Anyone with some expertise on U20s on here would be great.

Not having a wager on it myself after getting burnt by Leinster last night but if I was I'd take Ireland to win outright. Decent side and the French can be hit and miss and that level (much like at senior). Won't be an easy game and a bit too unpredictable for my liking but good luck with whatever you go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Going for:

France -6 (6/5) - Think they will win by 7-12 points
    Bolton v Everton 0 - 0 (8/1) - No saha, everton have only won once away, nil all looks solid.
    Dublin +3 (4/5) - weak waterford team out and the dubs could run them close.
    Chelsea to beat Fulham tomorrow night (3/4) - shold bounce back after liverpool game

€20 returns €1260.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Cricket WC at 8.30 am, think Holland are a little overpriced at 5/1 against the West Indies, Dwayne Bravo is out for the Windies and they are unpredictable at the best of times]

Ryan Ten Doeschate is in superb form and the Netherlands really do have a shout here i feel

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheHopeful

Hey guys, probably going to put on the biggest bet iv ever made tomorrow, just lookin for a few opinions first.

An accum:
    Its Selby to beat Hendry 2/9
    Irish winner of the Magners League 1/4: ( Munster and Leinster will prob both have home semi-finals and so have a good chance of meetin in the final, and Ulster have a decent chance of finishin top 4 too )
    Murphy +4.5 frames v O' Sullivan 4/11: ( I actually think Murphy will beat him outright but am playin it a bit safe, Ronnie is 2nd fav for the tournament which is crazy imo, id have him 4th r 5th fav ).
    Williams to win 3rd quarter 1/3: ( Which means he has to finsih off Cope who he leads 7-1, and then beat Allen or Hawkins. I saw both their matches and both were poor, and ridiculously lucky to win ).

So what do ye think? The only slightly dodgy one is the Murphy one I think, the other 3 are great bets imo. Really can't see them losin!:confused:

Not too sure on the snooker bets as I've only seen O'Sullivan play that Austrian lad so far. Murphy is decent though and will probably keep it close. If O'Sullivan does turn up he could whipe him out but he didn't look too impressive in the first round; he was good though. I'd imagine Munster / Leinster will surely win the Magners league! Based on what I've seen of the rugby this year Leinster could go on to win that and the heineken cup

• Advertisement
Advertisement