Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sat 29/4 - St. Anne's parkrun - The Importance Of Being Idle

After a relatively lengthy period of inactivity, I decided that it was time for a parkrun road trip, for a change of scenery while blowing the cobwebs off. Incredibly, the last time I ran a parkrun here was in January 2015, when I couldn't hang on to christeb's 22 minute pacing on the old course.

On a sunny but windy morning, I had a chat with Murph_D and RedRunner (both pacing today) before we set off. Not sure about the laps of honour for milestone runners during the briefing, just glad it wasn't me :D

I lined up about eight or nine rows back as we headed up the same start as the old course. On turning right, the path narrowed considerably and I then realised that up ahead was FBOT, with a scrum around him as he paced 23 minutes. I had to take to the grass to clear that group. The sections around the GAA pitches slope downward gently until the steep drop to the bottom corner at the sculpture, when you turn right parallel to the coast road. Still quite packed through here, but I was making progress through the field, and the hill through the arch wasn't too bad first time. 10:40 as we passed half way; there was a guy calling out times. Second half I was still passing people, and only got passed by one or two. It was very windy along the section from the sculpture to the hill, and I did manage to get isolated in the worst of it.

The hill at the end was much tougher second time around, and a guy sprinted by me coming up to the funnel, passing me when it was too late to respond.

Still though, 21:19 was a good return today. 7th in age cat, 38th overall out of 399. 10:40 for the first half, 10:39 for the second half. In a way, that pleases me most, as consistency is one of my biggest weaknesses usually.

The same time in Porterstown today would have got me 6th. Interestingly enough, it equalled my best time on the easier old course, which I set nearly 3 years ago ; almost to the day, in fact. I had a chat with FBOT afterwards, and said that I'd be back. It'll be good to return in a couple of months to get an idea of progress. It's a nice course anyway.

April Review

Not a whole pile to add really. The only "Great" thing about the GIR was our club's ladies winning the National Senior Championships. For me personally, it was a race to forget.

I just feel like the last few months I've been doing so much the wrong way round, racing with little or no mileage built up, and results generally reflecting this. Now, with this set of exams behind me, I'm ready to start pushing ahead, and hopefully with a structured training plan the gains will come.

This month: 1 race, 2 parkruns
    Year to date: 9 races, 7 parkruns

In other news, I've been offered a new and challenging, but very
    interesting job, which I've decided to accept! Stay tuned :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to see you this morning, J. Excellent run, fair play.

That guy calling out the times was Ferris B.

Paced mile next Sun? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Congrats on finishing your exams AND the new job! Exciting times ahead by the sounds of things.

Oops, missed the new job bit. Intriguing. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Very nice post exam workout. Always nice to have some space in front of you to fill with all those ideas floating around when you are exam bound. Enjoy the summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Future DCM mentor, I wonder...

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good to see you this morning, J. Excellent run, fair play.

That guy calling out the times was Ferris B.

Paced mile next Sun? ;)

No hassle, nice to be back running over there, long overdue!
    I'd no idea that was Ferris....one of many whose logs I'm following a long time but who I haven't met IRL.
    As for the paced mile.....I think I'll have to decline your offer/challenge on this occasion. At this stage, I would be doing this purely because I can :o
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Congrats on finishing your exams AND the new job! Exciting times ahead by the sounds of things.

Thanks G, weight off the mind and hopefully weight off the body to come. More and better training and quality races to follow.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Oops, missed the new job bit. Intriguing. Congrats!

Yes it is. And thanks again!
    denis b wrote: »
    Very nice post exam workout. Always nice to have some space in front of you to fill with all those ideas floating around when you are exam bound. Enjoy the summer.

Thanks Denis, you're going great guns yourself of late. A race win can't be far off? Alternatively, some of those country parkruns can maybe be handy pickings depending on who turns up.
    Future DCM mentor, I wonder...

So you're ruling yourself out of the running then? And as I type I note three other 2016 Graduates thanking the post (not including me) all of whom would be fine candidates for such a role....

Sun 30/4 - Rest

Mon 1/5 - ARC Cancer Support 10k, Phoenix Park

Pre Race

This was my fifth year in a row to run this. In my first attempt, I bagged a PB which stood for over 3 years. However, I wasn't thinking along those lines as I made my way to Furze Road to collect my bib. It's always a very relaxed atmosphere here, and as far as I can recall, they are the only people who have ever phoned me (as a past participant) and asked if I would be entering.

I ran a Chesterfield Avenue/Ordnance Survey Road/Furze Road triangle to warm up, and made it back for a few stretches before we were off to our respective starting points (there was also a 5k taking place).

Lap 1

The race is a two loop course, starting on Chesterfield Avenue, left on to OS Road, right at the crossroads to Knockmaroon Gate, in and out of the Furry Glen, sharp left back to the crossroads and along Furze Road. I'd spotted a work colleague (P) beforehand who's normally a 43/44 minute 10k man, and tagged along a few metres behind as we headed for the Glen Pond. I reckoned I could take him on the hill back up, and was successful in this attempt as we turned left. However, I wasn't able to make it stick, and he got the place back before we turned onto Furze Road. A girl passed me as well, but as we headed down the start/finish straight, it turned out she was running the 5k. A lad in a blue Kingspan (sponsors) top had been in my sights for a while, and I passed him coming down the start/finish straight. Through 5k in 21:xx. Chance of a PB after all?

Lap 2

Much to my annoyance, I'd left my cap behind as I was rushing to get to PP earlier. At that stage, I didn't think it would be much of an issue. However, now the sun was out, and I stopped to walk as I took a water bottle at the half way point. Kingspan passed me here, but before we'd passed the 10k start along Chesterfield, I regained my place, and didn't see him again. So now P was about the gap between two lampposts ahead of me, and he passed the second lady before the roundabout. She was now my target. I was gaining gradually on her for quite a while, and as we pushed away from the Glen Pond and up the hill for the second time, I got ahead of her and would stay there. Or so I thought. Before we'd even reached the sharp left hander, she'd passed me back, and began to edge further away as we headed for home. A young lad who I know from BHAA (think he runs with CSH) decided he would have a go too. Even though I navigated my way through the walkers better than him, he got past me before the home straight, and I was on my own for the rest of it. A clubmate gave me a shout halfway down the straight, but all I could think of at that stage was finishing.

44:31 chip time, 15th overall.

Post Race

As I passed under the gantry, one of the ladies from ARC saw me, said I looked really pale, and advised me to sit down while she found a medic to take my pulse and generally keep an eye on me. I didn't feel *that* bad at any stage during the race, yet now I was feeling more than a bit woozy. I waited about fifteen minutes, and then, with two bottles of water and a banana on board, gingerly shuffled (almost literally) back to the car. That's as in walking. No way was I going to risk running back. I sat in the car for a few minutes, and finally, once I'd got myself together a bit more, drove home as slow as I could get away with. Home for a shower and a lie down!

Next

I feel a lot better now, but even so, I'm thinking I might skip tomorrow's recovery run. Not sure about Wednesday's club session yet. I'm planning to run the BHAA RTÉ 5 Mile on Saturday, but there's a stags to be negotiated on Friday night first. We shall see. Thanks for reading!
    J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

That's a good time in St Anne's... was that at 'race' effort? Could doing the 10k two days later be the reason for your wooziness....?

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    That's a good time in St Anne's... was that at 'race' effort? Could doing the 10k two days later be the reason for your wooziness....?

Thanks A, I'm not sure that's the reason though? I've done back to backs, including 5k/10k, on numerous occasions, and at harder effort than this combo. Last year, over Easter weekend, I ran a hungover parkrun in 21:42, and then on the Monday I set a new 10 mile PB in the Brian Boru. Couple of other things spring to mind regarding today.

(1) Not enough water this morning or in the day(s) previous.
    (2) No cap - even by Irish standards, I have a shocking inability to run in anything approaching warm weather.
    (3) Even had (1) and (2) above been in order, I definitely ran this one harder than I had planned beforehand. I look desperate in the photos.

Overall, (another) one to learn the lessons from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great stuff J good to see you back....also well done on the new job! You would also make a great mentor for the Novices this year!

Look after yourself after the ARC run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks A, I'm not sure that's the reason though? I've done back to backs, including 5k/10k, on numerous occasions, and at harder effort than this combo. Last year, over Easter weekend, I ran a hungover parkrun in 21:42, and then on the Monday I set a new 10 mile PB in the Brian Boru. Couple of other things spring to mind regarding today.

(1) Not enough water this morning or in the day(s) previous.
    (2) No cap - even by Irish standards, I have a shocking inability to run in anything approaching warm weather.
    (3) Even had (1) and (2) above been in order, I definitely ran this one harder than I had planned beforehand. I look desperate in the photos.

Overall, (another) one to learn the lessons from!

How are you feeling now J? Interesting observations, might be worth keeping a spare cap in the boot.. Any chance you were coming down with something?

Great stuff J good to see you back....also well done on the new job! You would also make a great mentor for the Novices this year!

Look after yourself after the ARC run!

Thanks C, nice to be back! Been very quiet yourself of late?
    How are you feeling now J? Interesting observations, might be worth keeping a spare cap in the boot.. Any chance you were coming down with something?

Not 100% at all today, very weak and struggled through work (although it being my first day in there in a month might have had something to with it). You're probably right on the last bit, the recovery run got knocked on the head, and I might amend or abandon tomorrow's session too. Legs are fine, not a trace of DOMS or hamstring tightness.

Thanks C, nice to be back! Been very quiet yourself of late?

Had a bit of a mad ten days but back out this evening....will get this week out the way and then update the training log!

Tue 2/5 - Rest

Have been struggling with some bug or other since (during?) the ARC. No chance of a recovery run, even though the legs feel grand; certainly don't feel like they were under excess pressure on Monday.

Wed 3/5 - Rest

Similar to above. Still not 100% so won't even be doing my own thing later, let alone travelling to Santry for the club activity.

However, as The Black Oil (and others?) correctly deduced, I have agreed to be the DCM 2017 Novices Mentor :D

Hopefully I can do justice to this role, following in the online (and actual) footsteps of many esteemed former mentors. I'll put together a thread starter this weekend, once I have a little more space and time. Looking forward to it!
    J.

• Advertisement

However, as The Black Oil (and others?) correctly deduced, I have agreed to be the DCM 2017 Novices Mentor :D

Hopefully I can do justice to this role, following in the online (and actual) footsteps of many esteemed former mentors. I'll put together a thread starter this weekend, once I have a little more space and time. Looking forward to it!
    J.

Hurray! You'll certainly do it justice, the mentees are in excellent hands and the very best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck with mentor role J, I am sure you will do a fine job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

An excellent choice for this year's mentor. Best of luck with it!

A brilliant choice.....I plan to pop in and out of the thread so just let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

J.

There is absolutely loads of good information in the previous year's threads posted by other mentors. Steal shamelessly!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

J.

Ah, that's fantastic! Brilliant choice and I know you'll really enjoy it! It's so much fun:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

+1 to all the "great choice" comments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Congrats on the new role, great choice of mentor :)

Congrats, J, great choice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Can't wait for this year's Novice plan featuring two races a week all summer :D

I think you'll do great, agreed with all the well wishes!

Thank you all so much for your kind words!

Once I get the Novices thread up and running, my plan is to concentrate more on that one, so updates here will be less frequent and/or less detailed.
    Singer wrote: »
    Can't wait for this year's Novice plan featuring two races a week all summer :D

I think you'll do great, agreed with all the well wishes!

:D Thanks B, that'll be filed under "Do As I Say Not As I Do" :D

I think I'll keep tales of those exploits to here, and hope none of this year's class find them ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nice one! You'll have those novices in good shape in no time.

Look, he's starting the stuff in quote marks already. Poor novices. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Great news J, the novices are in good hands. I'll be following with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Good stuff, good to see the newbies will be in good hands.

Congratulations, J! No better man for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

The absolute very best of luck J. Plenty of energy, enthusiasm and experience to bring a group to their destiny on Bank Holiday Monday. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great news j . The novices are in good hands.

Thu 4/5 - Three very slow laps of Porterstown. Legs felt heavy, body felt sluggish.

Fri 5/5 - Rest

Sat 6/5 - BHAA RTÉ 5 Mile - Shouldn't Have Got Off At Sydney Parade

Following a nice feed of pints in town for my FBIL's stag night, I just about managed to scramble out of bed and grab the train to travel to my running Plan A for today. I questioned my wisdom more than once, particularly after I got off the Dort and headed along Nutley Lane to register on the RTÉ campus. There were free souvenir mugs to mark the 40th anniversary of the first running of this race. We would soon find out who the real mug was.

As for the race itself, I'll be brief, as it was a box ticking exercise, nothing more. I deliberately started at the very back, and didn't make a massive amount of progress through the field. I wanted to duck back into the changing rooms at the end of the first lap of four, and on the second lap I thought I was going to get sick. Well I managed to finish it out anyway.

38:05, if anyone's wondering.

Yes, it was that bad. Although there was a silver lining later when it transpired that we won two team prizes, so I got my entry fee back :)

As for the Novices thread...Manana, manana, as they say in Nerja :D laters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I hope you demanded a big fee for being the new mentor :pac:

Good luck with it and ENJOY!!!!

Nice one! You'll have those novices in good shape in no time.

Look, he's starting the stuff in quote marks already. Poor novices. :pac:
    kin9pin wrote: »
    Great news J, the novices are in good hands. I'll be following with interest.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Good stuff, good to see the newbies will be in good hands.
    Congratulations, J! No better man for the job.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Great news j . The novices are in good hands.
    annapr wrote: »
    I hope you demanded a big fee for being the new mentor :pac:

Good luck with it and ENJOY!!!!

Thanks again all, really appreciated!

Sun 7/5 - Club run, Phoenix Park

First time getting out for this in over a month. Trail special which split into two groups early enough, and then going by the Furry Glen myself and PK left the second group temporarily to go down this particularly steep hill and immediately back up another. We met the others again at the top, but I never really recovered. I hung on till we passed the back of the Cheshire Home, and a solo 4/5 miles ensued as it got ever warmer and the dots in the distance got ever smaller. First sign of summer; all the white bellies are out :rolleyes:

Shuffling along the side of Chesterfield Avenue, and who do I see warming up in the middle of the road, but Murph_D preparing to smash the sub-6 barrier (and keep the Russian invasion at bay!) I was fairly wiped by the time I got back to Castleknock Gate, but still glad I got out. 27/28 miles for the week.

And the DCM 2017 Novices Thread is away!

Interestingly enough, one of the lads on the club run informed me that I'm in this photo. It's probably been there a while, but to find out today of all days :D

Interestingly enough, one of the lads on the club run informed me that I'm in this photo. It's probably been there a while, but to find out today of all days :D

It's a sign! You're looking fairly happy there all right. Although not as happy as yer man closest to the camera. I wonder was he that enthusiastic at 26 miles :D ?

It's a sign! You're looking fairly happy there all right. Although not as happy as yer man closest to the camera. I wonder was he that enthusiastic at 26 miles :D ?

Thanks G, first night's work done! That photo was taken in Kilmainham, I'm 99.99% sure (11.5 miles or so) David was still chuffed with himself at 26(.2) miles....he finished just ahead of or just behind me. I can't remember exactly, but he was definitely in the Asics clip of me crossing the line.

Mon 8/5 - "Rest"

No running, but the meadows that were the front and back gardens got cut down to size. The Novices thread saw a fair bit of action too.

Tue 9/5

Three slow enough loops around Carpenterstown/Riverwood. On the first loop, a really annoying teenager (with two dimwit pals) decided he'd cycle alongside me looking for a reaction. This went on most of the way from the roundabout near the new bridge to the Montessori at the bottom of Luttrellstown. Still, I resisted the temptation to knock him flying off his bike ease him gently out of my way, looked straight ahead, said nothing, and eventually the little saps cleared off. Me 1, dopey teenagers 0 :D

• Advertisement

I admire your self control!!!!!

Thanks AM, I'm not always as cranky as I might seem from reading the logs or in real life ðŸ˜

Wed 10/5 - Club session, Porterstown Park

Long story short, I only got home about 10 minutes before this was due to start, so after a rapid fire change of clothes I jogged up, without even a water bottle as there was none in the house.

Well, it was my first time in over a month doing this session, and it felt every bit that way. 3x400 + 800 + 400 with 90 second recoveries. Stuffed.

A relatively large club contingent are racing the 6k in Navan tomorrow. Tempting and all as a nearly guaranteed PB seems (XC PB is 27:03), I have to decline this time!

Life got in the way of updating the Novices thread. Back on track tonight.

Speaking of marathons, most of the regular readers here will know I'm planning to run DCM again this year. The Boards plan for Novices was good to me last year, with a nearly half hour PB compared to Paris 2014. It would have been more, were it not for injury and illness.

However, this time around I'm looking for something a bit more substantial, with weekly highs of 50-55 mpw; this is what I need to be aiming for to go sub 3:30.

So the questions I'm putting to the floor are:-
    Can you recommend a successful marathon training plan suitable for a third time marathoner as slow as I am? What worked well for you, and why? Thanks in advance!
    J.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/0736074600

Used the plan in here ( <55 mpw) for my second marathon, 3:29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck with the Novices Thread. I hope you realise that you will be dreaming about it in a few months. It takes on a life of its own, but in a good way and you will be a great Mentor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

RayCun wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/0736074600

+1 for that plan. I used to 18 week up to 55 mpw last year for Dublin and thought it was great. I'll be using one of the plans from the book again this year. I recommend buying the book as it has lots of info on how to run the session, pacing etc.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »

+1 for that plan. I used to 18 week up to 55 mpw last year for Dublin and thought it was great. I'll be using one of the plans from the book again this year. I recommend buying the book as it has lots of info on how to run the session, pacing etc.

Thanks a million guys! I'll seriously look into that one. Two quick endorsements (including a superfast one from Ray) is very encouraging.

Younganne wrote: »
    Best of Luck with the Novices Thread. I hope you realise that you will be dreaming about it in a few months. It takes on a life of its own, but in a good way and you will be a great Mentor.

Thanks A, so far so good, lots involved but enjoying it :)

Thu 11/5 - 5 miles approx. in 44 minutes

Not a particularly fast one tonight. Probably a good thing, as this was the first time since the end of February that I managed three consecutive days of running. I had to thumb back through the pages of this log to find that out!

This was the loop I ran in my very first run after moving here. Out along the Diswellstown Road, over the new bridge towards Clonsilla, before turning right at Power City and following the Snugborough Road to the top of Blanch village. Right and right again along Clonsilla Road, left to pass the Roselawn shops, right onto Delwood Road, then left across the railway line and down around the outside of Tír na nÓg and a leisurely finish.

Just glad to get it done in the end. I didn't look at the watch once; at this stage I'm only trying to build mileage up towards something respectable, before I can kick off the next marathon cycle with some confidence that I can actually make it work. Thanks for reading!
    J.

Thanks a million guys! I'll seriously look into that one. Two quick endorsements (including a superfast one from Ray) is very encouraging.

Krusty used it for his marathon training too, back when he was mortal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

I used the 12 week up to 55mpw plan for both my marathons and I will probably go with the 18 week plan this year. I highly recommend the plan but it is tough and you would need a good base before starting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement