Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options
  • 07-05-2017 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭

Hello there, you're all very welcome to the DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread!

This is the 9th year that Boards has offered support and advice to DCM Novices. In 2009, -amadeus-- composed the opening symphony. Rainbow kirby took over in 2010, Raycun in 2011, followed by Younganne in 2012. career_move kept the show on the road in 2013, succeeded by Ososlo for the 2014 stanza. Dubgal72 with her expert coaching managed to get her crew through in 2015, while the 2016 edition was hosted by the notorious (not really!) nop98 who, in the best traditions of this support thread, has nominated me to carry the torch in 2017.

About the Novices thread
    This thread is aimed at anyone considering doing the Dublin City Marathon for the first time this year, on October 29. It isn't limited to those who haven't run a marathon before. Have a look at the two programs we'll have running from late June. Feel free to ask whatever questions you might have (running related please) and we encourage constructive discussion with fellow Novices.

I recommend you read some of the thread starters from the previous threads. They will give you even more of an insight of what to expect as you prepare for the big day.

Yes, no, maybe, I don't know?
    Can you repeat the question?

Training for any marathon is tough, especially if it's your first! It helps if you can spare a lot of time to devote to it, and it can involve a fair amount of running at stupid o'clock as your runs get longer.

Our training plans commence on Monday, June 26. I recommend that you have been running quite regularly, for a year. Come June 26, you want to be running comfortably 3-4 times a week, every week, at that stage, covering at least 20 miles per week. Have a look at the two training plans on offer carefully, and see if you can find a way to fit one of them. Start getting used to running 3-4 days in a row, and a longer run at the weekend. Can you fit this in your daily routine, your holiday plans, your family life? If you're unsure, just try it out for a couple of weeks and see how you get on. The mileage in the programs will go up, so be realistic in your self-assessment. Post your progress here and we'll try and give an honest assessment.

Training Plans
    The Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan is a widely used novice marathon plan. It's a simple, and straightforward plan, which slowly increases the weekly mileage to eventually include a 20 mile training run, and has step-back weeks built in to help the body adapt. It uses 3 mid-week runs, which will slowly increase in length, and a longer weekend run. Ideally, you mix in one day of cross-training, too.
    The Boards plan for 2017 is for slightly more experienced runners. It includes more variety in paces (either "easy" pace, or PMP ("planned marathon pace")), it includes strides on some of the easy runs, and generally covers more miles - e.g. 2 20 milers and more long LSRs.

Both plans include all the Race Series build-up races (the Fingal 10k in Swords on July 23, the Frank Duffy 10-miler on August 26 in the Phoenix Park, and the Race Series Half Marathon, on September 23 at Newbridge House, Donabate). You don't have to run these races, but it's a good idea to try one or more of them to give yourself a feel for running at race pace and to see how much you've progressed. Of course, similar events elsewhere are permitted :)

There are many more plans out there of course, but we recommend that you choose one of the above, and stick to the one you've chosen once you set out. If you're looking for some pre-plan training advice, have a look at this.

General Guidelines

"Stick To The Plan" was the mantra for the 2016 Novices, myself included. The longest runs are the most important. You can of course switch runs around within a week if you need to. If you have to skip a run, try make it one of the short runs. When it's gone, it's gone. Do not go chasing lost mileage in subsequent weeks.

In the weeks leading up to the start of the program, ramp up your mileage very gently towards 20 miles. Don't increase your mileage by more than 10% each week.
    Run slow. Once you think you run slow enough, run even slower. You will not be able to complete all the training miles if you don't run the majority of them slow (slower than you will run on the day itself). Once the program is about to start, we'll talk about how to determine your ideally training paces.
    Be realistic. A marathon is no mean physical or mental challenge - hopefully you will have raced at some of the shorter distances already. Don't set your heart on hitting a particular time. You won't have a pace car in front of you to block out the wind, or have water bottles handed to you, a la Kipchoge and co. If you do want to set a target time, be conservative. The marathon has so many variables that can impact on your time.
    Listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, stop your run. If it continues, seek professional guidance. As per general Boards guidelines, we cannot offer medical advice.
    You'll have to make sure your wife/husband/partner is on your side. Believe you and me, it does make a difference when he/she is ready and willing to support what you're doing.

And Here Is Your Host....

I'll let ye in on a little secret. My name's not really Wubble Wubble. But it's fun when meeting other Boardsies for the first time IRL. I do however look a lot like Shaggy from the Scooby Doo cartoons ;) Zoinks!

I'm a fortysomething Dub, and I jumped on the 2016 Novices bus for my second marathon, and first in our Fair City. I met a lot of fun and interesting people both on this thread and IRL as it progressed. The guidance I received, and the fun I had along the way, helped me to a PB of just under half an hour, on an absolutely incredible day which I'll treasure forever. The support almost everywhere was fantastic, and it really does help you along. That special feeling as you cross the finish line will stay with you too. You may go on to run many more marathons in future, but as the saying goes "You never forget your first" :D

You Know You Can Do It

Still with me? Not long left! As we progress, there'll be more advice, hints and tips (which may or may not be lifted from somewhere else :D)

To finish, I'd really appreciate if you could tell us a little bit about yourself, and answer the following questions.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Why are you running this marathon?

Thanks for reading. Once again, welcome to the thread, and good luck!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Just to add briefly;

Links to updated 2017 HHN1 and Boards plans to follow. They will however be broadly similar to the 2016 versions that are currently available via the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

Best of luck to anyone planning on doing DCM for the first time this year, followed this thread in 2013, it was a mine of information and I'm still on the marathon bus since.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Good luck to all given it a bash this year. I was one of Ososlo graduate's in 2014 and have done 5 more since. This thread will be a great help to you all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great stuff wubble wubble, thanks for taking this on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Not ready for the full this year, but will be doing the half. I'll be keeping an eye on the thread to see if I can pick up some tips

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh, the spreadsheet links bring back fond memories! How has it been a year already? Best of luck to all novices. Your first objective is to get to the start line. You can do that by sticking to the plan, sleeping well and running regularly. The memories of DCM will be many. Collecting your number and bag, yapping to a pacer, going through the Phoenix Park, some hard miles, meeting some novices in the wave areas, the support and the final few hundred metres. See youse in October, you're in for quite an adventure. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Not ready for the full this year, but will be doing the half. I'll be keeping an eye on the thread to see if I can pick up some tips

Me too. I've followed the last two years' threads, they are fantastic for support motivation and, especially, information.

Best of luck this year Wubble Wubble, I'm sure the novices are in good hands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Right, I'm in. Hi Wubble Wubble. I started running in 2012 by doing the couch to 5k. I was briefly a part of the 2015 DCM group but quickly found I wasn't ready.

I kept running and decided to spend 2016 working on building a better base, doing more races and trying to get my times down.

I got to over 1000 miles last year and pb's from 5k to half marathon. 2016 has been by far my most consistent year of running.

I picked up a groin strain in December which has taken some time to fix. Back running properly in the past month and raced the 6 mile in Limerick last weekend (with my physios permission).

5k - Jingle Bells Dec 2016 - 23.11
    5 Mile - Irish Runner June 2016 - 44:31
    6 Mile - Great Limerick Apr 2017 - 54:42
    10k - Gingerbread Nov 2016 - 52:48
    Half Marathon - DCHM Sep 2016 - 2:05:30

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    4 days a week running. 2 slow runs from 45min to 1 Hour. 1 short run with some aspect of speed training. 1 LSR. My physio has me on some exercises and stretches every 2nd day.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

My aim is to run it in 4:30.

I can train 4 to 5 days a week. I plan to use the boards plan and race the DCM race series and the Irish Runner 5 mile

When I started running a marathon never seemed possible. As I progressed and starting running further I still thought it was too far. Time to prove old me wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

The very best of luck to the class of 2017! You're in excellent hands with Wubble Wubble! Really looking forward to seeing how you all will progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Cheers for this Wubble. I followed last years thread pretty closely after initially being tempted to join it, but in the end I didn't go for it as I wanted another year of running before I tried the full. I'm happy enough with that decision in hindsight, but it's now time I think.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?

HM - Nov '16: 1:33
    10M - March '17: 67 mins
    5M - Jan '17: 31 mins
    5k - Never actually done a 'proper' race 5k, which is a bit odd. Have done just under 19 minutes in a parkrun around December '16.
    2miles - 11:5X

No

Currently 6 a week is the plan, but unfortunately I've only actually done 6 days a week once since the start of March for one reason or another.

I'd regularly get 5 days done however, and the one I miss would generally just be a 5-8K run. This would be about 45-55k a week, with a long run ranging from 15-21k. I play the odd bit of five a side here and there, but I find myself quite sore the day or two after each game, so I don't play too often and make sure not to do a running session that week if I do play.

Little cross training, other than the 20 min cycle in and out of work. No strength training or stretching to speak of, which I should really start doing, but I can never get into a rhythm of doing it.

The predictor calculators have generally been quite good for me in past races, and they seem to be suggesting anywhere from 3hrs (based on my 5 mile time) to 3:15 (based on HM time) for the full. I'm not stupid, so I won't target 3hrs, but I'd love to do under 3:15, so that's my target for the time being.

I can do 6 days, and I'm not sure on which plan. Possibly the boards one, or maybe a P&D plan from the book (though maybe these are a bit too much for now). I like the layout of this 3:15-4:00 one with the rest day on Friday and long run on Sunday. I'm open to suggestions on this front though.

Why are you running this marathon? Probably not for reasons as inspiring as others will have. I suppose it's just for the obvious reasons of it being a massive achievement to complete one, and all the 'fun' that comes with the build-up, the training and so on. To be honest, I just enjoy running, and I enjoy running longer distances than the shorter faster ones, so this seems like a natural progression for me. Maybe over time the answer to this question will become more apparent than just a simple 'cause I want to'. We'll see.

Good luck to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck novices and best of luck mentor! I'm sure you'll all have a blast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

I think Nop made the right choice nominating you. With your decent race times and previous experience, you're bound to have some great advice to offer Wubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Best of Luck Everyone for DCM 2017.. Looking forward to the thread expanding over coming days. Hope I can help in any way... And to your host Wubble Wubble... The very Best of Luck too! The DCM 2016 thread was invaluable and really kept me motivated the whole way through and also has built a great running group that continues on Strava and boards.ie - it all starts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I would encourage anyone who is planning on doing DCM 2017 to get invlovled with this thread. As a 2016 nop98 graduate I cannot recommend this enough. I plan to keep tabs on this over the course of the next few months and will try and help where I can.

You are in good hands with Wubble x 2!

Good luck to you all and don't forget there is no such thing as a stupid question! You are in for one hell of a ride until the end of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Belkin1975

Hi all,

Have been running on and off for 5 years. I don't race that much. Have completed two halfs, a few 10ks and 5ks. Currently run 3-4 times pw. I only started back a few weeks ago and just building up mileage slowly. I'm a very slow runner. I don't do walk breaks, just slow down the pace (I know I'd walk faster sometimes). I am following the ASICS plan at the moment. Good luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Thanks Wubble for doing this.
    I'm 35 and I've only been running a few years but I've completed 2 half marathons, a 10 miler and a few 10k's.
    I'm looking forward to starting the marathon training using this boards thread as I've no idea what to expect over the next few months. Any and all advice will be taken on board.

Thanks again, HJ.

Fingal 10k - July 2015 - 50:13
    Frank Duffy 10 Mile - August 2015 - 1:22:40
    Half Marathon - DCHM Sep 2014 - 1:57:17
    Cork Half Marathon - June 2016 - 1:59:10 (Extra 800m ran due to starting chaos)

No

I'm currently following the Strava Half Marathon Plan for the Cork Half Marathon in a few weeks time. Week 7 of 10 starts today. I'm only running 3 times a week, but covering around 25 to 35km per week.
    I've never tried to vary my running speed or try fartlek. I tend to have a speed that suits my gait and I'm comfortable with it.

I just want to finish it. I'd love to not have to walk any of it.

Only 2 to 3 runs a week. 2 x 10k during the week and then circa 20k on Saturday mornings. I plan on getting a few runs in early before work.
    I want to use the boards.ie plan and I've entered the DCM race series.

To see if I can do it. I surprised myself but completing the C25K in 2014, and a few months later completing the Dublin Half Marathon. I'd like to cap it off by running the big one!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 John McClane

I’m in also, started back running 3 years ago, 10k time in May 2014 was 50+ mins, 10k PB this year is down to 43m 30secs
    Mostly being doing shorter runs/races, park runs etc.. Furthest I’ve ran is 10miles (2 races and 3 training runs)
    Planned on doing it last year but due to night feeds commencing at the start of the training plan �� I was never going to get a good base to start from

5k – Steets of KK April-17– 20:42
    10k – Clonmel 10k May-17 – 43:33
    10m – Ballycotton Mar-17 – 1:17:20

No

3-4 days a week combination of running/cycling/gym. Gradually increasing weekly mileage , currently on 15m pw hoping to by up to high 20’s/30m per week by end of June to start training plan from there.

Dream – 3.45
    Realistic – 3.59

Plan to train 4 days a week. Use a combination of boards/HH

Got back into running 3 years ago and said would do it when I hit 40 , but wasn’t ready last year

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Hi guys, glad I stumbled across this as I signed up yesterday. This will be my first marathon at 27.

Not raced but current run times:
    5km Parkrun - 21mins
    10km - 50mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No / NA

One weekly 5km Parkrun at the moment.

4 hours is my aim, let me hang on to this as long as I can!

Was planning on doing a Parkrun and 1 long run per week ramping up to October. After reading the thread, I will re-evaluate.

Personal goal and a bucket list challenge. Have done a 100m bike race and reached weight lifting goals so this was next.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing the thread progress. Good luck all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mileybichon

Hi,
    Just saw this thread and really excited about following it. It's exactly what i've been looking for! I've just 40 last month and DCM will be my 1st marathon!
    Started running the start of last year, did the couch to 5km last Jan and Feb 2016. And i'm hooked, did a Half marathon in December and next goal is DCM this October!

I do Parkrun every Saturday morning
    Parkrun PB 25mins 15secs (5km)
    10km PB - Fat Turkey in Howth 28/12/2016 - 56mins
    Half Marathon Wexford Dec 2016 - 2hrs 4 mins
    10 Mile - Trim Feb 2017 1hr 28mins
    5 Mile - Raheny Jan 2017 42mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) No

How much training do you currently do ? Currently 3 days a week. Used to be 4 days a week but just working my way back up after injury.
    Between 4 and 5 miles 2 evenings a week including hill repeats and strides. Then lsr of between 7 and 10 miles on Sundays. Also play tennis once or twice a week.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream Finishing time would be 4 hrs 30mins or just under. Realistically would be happy with anything under 5 hours.

How many days a week can you train? Hope to train 4 days a week.

And what plan do you intend to follow? Will follow the Boards plan

Why are you running this marathon? I turned 40 last month and the marathon is such a dream achievement for me. Something i've always wanted to achieve and hope this is the year for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SoleDiva

Hi everyone :)
    I'm a 40+++ mum of 3, marathon novice, taking on DCM this year!  I started running in August 2012 using a C25K app.  I signed up for Belfast marathon in 2013 but found out I was pregnant 6 weeks before the event (having run my first HM not knowing and not sure why I was sooooo sick!), so never made it to the starline of Belfast.
    I went back to running when my little dude was 7 months old and to date have completed numerous 10k races and 5 half marathons (Carlingford - the pg one, Belfast HM x 2, Dublin RnR dressed as KISS and GNR).  None of them in a blinding time, but I'm working on that!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) I'm SLOW!! but hopefully progressing.
    5K 30:02 (October 2015)
    10K 1:02:33 (Sept 2015)
    HM 2:19 (Sept 2015)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) Sometimes, depends on how hilly the route is.  I'm focussing on that currently by slowing down and keeping the effort the same and doing my best not to walk.
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I currently run 3 or 4 times a week, between 5 and 8k during the week with a longer run at the weekend of between 10k - 16k (building slowly before a calf niggle made me pull back a bit). I do lots of stretching and strength & conditioning stuff at home, plus a yoga class once a week.[/font]

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I'm doing my best to put a finishing time out of my head and just aim to complete it in a time i can be proud of and a time that reflects my abilities.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? Realistically, for this to fit in with family life and work without too much disruption, I aim to run 4 times a week. I have drawn up a plan loosely based on plans I've looked at on the internet - NYRR, MyAsics & Hal Hidgon

I've wanted to run a marathon for as long as I can remember but always thought it was an unachievable dream.  Running has had a huge impact on my life in the last few years.  Living far away from my family & friends, running has given me a big  local "family" and has made me realise my dream isn't out of reach :)

So, that's me!  I talk a lot, always write essays instead of a few lines lol and I'm looking forward to this adventure!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 SoleDiva

Hi everyone :)
    I'm a 40+++ mum of 3, marathon novice, taking on DCM this year!  I started running in August 2012 using a C25K app.  I signed up for Belfast marathon in 2013 but found out I was pregnant 6 weeks before the event (having run my first HM not knowing and not sure why I was sooooo sick!), so never made it to the starline of Belfast.
    I went back to running when my little dude was 7 months old and to date have completed numerous 10k races and 5 half marathons (Carlingford - the pg one, Belfast HM x 2, Dublin RnR dressed as KISS and GNR).  None of them in a blinding time, but I'm working on that!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) I'm SLOW!! but hopefully progressing.
    5K 30:02 (October 2015)
    10K 1:02:33 (Sept 2015)
    HM 2:19 (Sept 2015)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) Sometimes, depends on how hilly the route is.  I'm focussing on that currently by slowing down and keeping the effort the same and doing my best not to walk.
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I currently run 3 or 4 times a week, between 5 and 8k during the week with a longer run at the weekend of between 10k - 16k (building slowly before a calf niggle made me pull back a bit). I do lots of stretching and strength & conditioning stuff at home, plus a yoga class once a week.[/font]

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I'm doing my best to put a finishing time out of my head and just aim to complete it in a time i can be proud of and a time that reflects my abilities.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? Realistically, for this to fit in with family life and work without too much disruption, I aim to run 4 times a week. I have drawn up a plan loosely based on plans I've looked at on the internet - NYRR, MyAsics & Hal Hidgon

I've wanted to run a marathon for as long as I can remember but always thought it was an unachievable dream.  Running has had a huge impact on my life in the last few years.  Living far away from my family & friends, running has given me a big  local "family" and has made me realise my dream isn't out of reach :)

So, that's me!  I talk a lot, always write essays instead of a few lines lol and I'm looking forward to this adventure!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

"Ladies and gentlemen of the class of 2017... wear sunscreen!" :pac:

Wishing everyone the very best of luck with the training. As a graduate of the very first iteration of this thread (8 years ago - WTF) I can vouch that it does work and that it's very motivating having lots of others in the same boat.

Enjoy it - you only have one first marathon and Dublin is a nice one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

... and my axe!! Aarrrrr!!

Thank you Wubble for doing this - I have been looking forward to this thread for a while and got the idea to do DCM this year after lurking on last years thread. I am 40, and I started running this time last year with C25K, mainly just to stay healthy and lose some weight while at it. I have done couple of 10k races so far, and that's about it really. I would love to finish a marathon!

5k PB 25:38 Malahide Parkrun couple of months ago. Still trying to crack 25m mark.
    10k PB 54:34 Boyne 10k, 30th April 2017

No, I do run out of steam and slow down a good bit to recover, but then again my longest run ever is only around 15k.

I am aiming for 3-4 runs a week. Total distance last couple of weeks is only around 30k/20m. Finding it hard to get three runs during the week with my long commute. I also would like to keep parkrun as part of my LSR. Lately I have started cycling an hour on Sundays. That's about all of my workout. I am 40, I starte C25k this time last year and before that I had a very sedentary lifestyle.

Finish the marathon. Build up fitness level to take part in couple of marathons a year going forward.

3-4 days realistically. I started on Hal Higdon novice 1 a number of weeks ago, that type of plan looks okay to me I think. By the time I factor in repeated weeks, I might be in sync with this thread.

To feel good about myself. That me less grumpy and almost bearable, almost...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DCM17DREAMER

Hi Everyone!
    Im 43 year old Momma of 3. Im running about 4 years. Im no Bolt or Radcliffe after a bad year plagued with injury im just glad to be able to lace up and go. Im hoping to do my first (and last) Marathon this year. For me its all about the finish line and not the time anymore.
    ive completed 11 half marathons, (7 of them in 2016) 5 10 milers and numerous 10K & 5K.

5K 28:30 (last week)
    10K 56.00 (Nov 2016)
    Half 2:10 (Dec 2016)

In general no but I do walk hilly hills!

Normally I run three times a week - haven't been as disciplined as id like for the last couple of months and life just seems to get in the way. But I did make a promise to myself that by Mid-May id cop myself on! so this thread has come about at the right time - a sign surely??? :-)

My dream is to finish - Im saying 5 hours but if its more its more but I doubt if it will be less.

My intention is to do 3 mid-week runs, cross train 1 or 2 days, and a long run on weekends.

I am running this marathon for me - I like setting challenges for myself and I think this is a pretty big challenge.

Best of luck to everyone on the thread - heres to a few months of safe injury free running!
    See you at the finish line x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

2014 graduate here. The thread was a great help.
    Best of luck to everyone.

Omeceron wrote: »
    Right, I'm in. Hi Wubble Wubble. I started running in 2012 by doing the couch to 5k. I was briefly a part of the 2015 DCM group but quickly found I wasn't ready.

I kept running and decided to spend 2016 working on building a better base, doing more races and trying to get my times down.

I got to over 1000 miles last year and pb's from 5k to half marathon. 2016 has been by far my most consistent year of running.

I picked up a groin strain in December which has taken some time to fix. Back running properly in the past month and raced the 6 mile in Limerick last weekend (with my physios permission).

5k - Jingle Bells Dec 2016 - 23.11
    5 Mile - Irish Runner June 2016 - 44:31
    6 Mile - Great Limerick Apr 2017 - 54:42
    10k - Gingerbread Nov 2016 - 52:48
    Half Marathon - DCHM Sep 2016 - 2:05:30

No

4 days a week running. 2 slow runs from 45min to 1 Hour. 1 short run with some aspect of speed training. 1 LSR. My physio has me on some exercises and stretches every 2nd day.

My aim is to run it in 4:30.

I can train 4 to 5 days a week. I plan to use the boards plan and race the DCM race series and the Irish Runner 5 mile

When I started running a marathon never seemed possible. As I progressed and starting running further I still thought it was too far. Time to prove old me wrong!

Hi Omeceron,

Welcome! And bonus points for being the first to volunteer :)

I can sympathise with you having to miss 2015, as I abandoned my planned attempt in 2014 having picked up one niggle too many.

You've got some great work done already! Certainly you've got the right idea with regard to base building and getting the times down. There's decent variety in your training too.

You will hopefully find those PBs dropping further as training progresses. Just be careful not to ramp up the mileage too much too quickly as you recover from injury. Your target looks like it could be very achievable come race day (based on your existing PBs) but it's nice to have a B time just in case :)

Best of luck, look forward to reading more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Aw guys I'm so incredibly jealous of the absolute rollercoaster you have just jumped on.

I am a 2015 graduate and Dubgal's thread along with all of my fellow novicea is what got me to the start (and finish!) line.

The very best of luck to you all and well done to wubble wubble for taking on this amazing role.

You're in for the ride of your life!

Cheers for this Wubble. I followed last years thread pretty closely after initially being tempted to join it, but in the end I didn't go for it as I wanted another year of running before I tried the full. I'm happy enough with that decision in hindsight, but it's now time I think.

HM - Nov '16: 1:33
    10M - March '17: 67 mins
    5M - Jan '17: 31 mins
    5k - Never actually done a 'proper' race 5k, which is a bit odd. Have done just under 19 minutes in a parkrun around December '16.
    2miles - 11:5X

No

Currently 6 a week is the plan, but unfortunately I've only actually done 6 days a week once since the start of March for one reason or another.

I'd regularly get 5 days done however, and the one I miss would generally just be a 5-8K run. This would be about 45-55k a week, with a long run ranging from 15-21k. I play the odd bit of five a side here and there, but I find myself quite sore the day or two after each game, so I don't play too often and make sure not to do a running session that week if I do play.

Little cross training, other than the 20 min cycle in and out of work. No strength training or stretching to speak of, which I should really start doing, but I can never get into a rhythm of doing it.

The predictor calculators have generally been quite good for me in past races, and they seem to be suggesting anywhere from 3hrs (based on my 5 mile time) to 3:15 (based on HM time) for the full. I'm not stupid, so I won't target 3hrs, but I'd love to do under 3:15, so that's my target for the time being.

I can do 6 days, and I'm not sure on which plan. Possibly the boards one, or maybe a P&D plan from the book (though maybe these are a bit too much for now). I like the layout of this 3:15-4:00 one with the rest day on Friday and long run on Sunday. I'm open to suggestions on this front though.

Why are you running this marathon? Probably not for reasons as inspiring as others will have. I suppose it's just for the obvious reasons of it being a massive achievement to complete one, and all the 'fun' that comes with the build-up, the training and so on. To be honest, I just enjoy running, and I enjoy running longer distances than the shorter faster ones, so this seems like a natural progression for me. Maybe over time the answer to this question will become more apparent than just a simple 'cause I want to'. We'll see.

Good luck to all.

Hi Battery Kinzie,

Welcome! Some seriously impressive times there.

I'm with you on the S&C issue. It's something that a lot of us (myself included) tend to neglect. You're managing the football well, it seems. I combined GAA and running for three years, until advancing years meant it took me too long to recover properly from training/matches to improve my race times. 3:15 seems like a very realistic target. Don't worry too much about not running 6 days a week every week. Real life is going to cut across training to some degree for most or all of us over the next 174 days. To add to that, there is of course some room for manoeuvre within the plans themselves.

And don't be ashamed about running DCM just for enjoyment. Many runners keep coming back year after year, purely for the fun of it and because they can. Looking forward to reading of your progress. Best of luck!

Belkin1975 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have been running on and off for 5 years. I don't race that much. Have completed two halfs, a few 10ks and 5ks. Currently run 3-4 times pw. I only started back a few weeks ago and just building up mileage slowly. I'm a very slow runner. I don't do walk breaks, just slow down the pace (I know I'd walk faster sometimes). I am following the ASICS plan at the moment. Good luck to everyone.

Hi Belkin1975,

Welcome aboard! Even though you're only getting back into it, you have a fair bit of experience built up, so that will certainly stand to you as we progress. You have the right idea, building the mileage slowly and steadily. Keeping the pace nice and relaxed is the correct approach too. Looking forward to following progress. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks Wubble for doing this.
    I'm 35 and I've only been running a few years but I've completed 2 half marathons, a 10 miler and a few 10k's.
    I'm looking forward to starting the marathon training using this boards thread as I've no idea what to expect over the next few months. Any and all advice will be taken on board.

Thanks again, HJ.

Fingal 10k - July 2015 - 50:13
    Frank Duffy 10 Mile - August 2015 - 1:22:40
    Half Marathon - DCHM Sep 2014 - 1:57:17
    Cork Half Marathon - June 2016 - 1:59:10 (Extra 800m ran due to starting chaos)

No

I'm currently following the Strava Half Marathon Plan for the Cork Half Marathon in a few weeks time. Week 7 of 10 starts today. I'm only running 3 times a week, but covering around 25 to 35km per week.
    I've never tried to vary my running speed or try fartlek. I tend to have a speed that suits my gait and I'm comfortable with it.

I just want to finish it. I'd love to not have to walk any of it.

Only 2 to 3 runs a week. 2 x 10k during the week and then circa 20k on Saturday mornings. I plan on getting a few runs in early before work.
    I want to use the boards.ie plan and I've entered the DCM race series.

To see if I can do it. I surprised myself but completing the C25K in 2014, and a few months later completing the Dublin Half Marathon. I'd like to cap it off by running the big one!

Hi heebusjeebus,

Welcome! And thank you! It's an honour (not to mention a big surprise!) to be asked to do this.

There's some very strong times there already from you. Don't worry about settling on a particular plan *right now*. Have another look at the plans we've supplied, and see which you think may suit you better. In any event, you've probably got a strong base built up already for your upcoming HM. I remember reading about the chaos in last year's event :eek: although I believe the organisers have amended the routes this time.

By the way, that's a serious achievement, covering the C25k and running the Dublin Half in the same year. A lot of potential here! Best of luck!

Advertisement