Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Wed 1/3 - Club track session, Santry

I nearly didn't go to this. I'd been home for ages, watching it get darker, wetter and windier outside, the thought of just crashing on the couch got more appealing. In the end though, I got the gear on and braved the evening rush hour on the M50 across to Morton Stadium.

After a slow mile jog with some strides included to warmup, about ten of us were in the Clonliffe corner to start our session. Slightly different to my previous one, this time it would be 3 x 800 followed by 400/800/400, with 2 min recoveries. Conditions were challenging to say the least, with puddles all around the track to add to the strong winds and rain. Did I mention it was freezing? Anyway, 3:09 for the first two wasn't bad, but I was annoyed with 3:13. 87 for my first 400 was so-so (84/85 three weeks ago), and then the laces came undone with just over 200m to go in my last 800. I was like a bull coming over the line in 3:23. I think this knocked me back more for the last 400; after a strong start, I folded up badly into the gale on the back straight, and a poor 89 finished me off. A mile warmdown and some stretches wrapped up a tough night's work.

Really, I need to be doing these sessions week in week out, rather than the sporadic appearances that I've been making of late. Unfortunately, it's going to be that way for another while yet, as between work and exams it'll be May before I start getting up to where I should be. C'est la vie. Hopefully the sacrifices I'm making in this area will turn out to be worth it!

Thu 2/3 - 4 miles approx. in 28:45

Anticlockwise twice around the Riverwood/Carpenterstown/Luttrellstown loop. FWIW, I think it's the quickest I've ever run this? I got into a nice rhythm after a slow opening, so I'm happy enough :)

Fri 3/3 - Rest

Sat 4/3 - Carlingford 10k - A Pain That I'm Used To

Pre Race

Expectations were very low as I headed up the M1. My original intention was to run the HM, having done it twice before. But with so little mileage, it probably wouldn't have been a good idea. As I said to friends beforehand, anything under 45 would be a decent result for me today. Having sorted out my parking I collected my bib in plenty of time, and a mile or so to the car and back was a good portion of my warmup. The half runners were away at 10, through a very narrow gantry at the sailing club. While waiting for our race to get the call, I threw in some strides and stretching while enjoying the fantastic views across to the Mournes on one side, with Slieve Foye towering above on the other. Eventually we were brought around the back of the sailing club, to start in some laneway or other. Apparently our course would have been short had we started from the sailing club?

Kms 1-3

The start was abysmal. Having navigated my way out of the lane, there was still a huge amount of much slower runners to negotiate as we ran past the sailing club and around by the sea, before turning right onto the main road and passing the Four Seasons Hotel. I lost a huge amount of time, and only now did I start to gain a bit of momentum. There's a tricky enough climb out of the town in the second kilometre, but I kept it together well as I picked off runners on a regular basis. Coming up another long drag to the 3k marker, there was a lady runner ahead who was catching others too, but I managed to catch her just before the top of the hill.

Kms 4-5

We left the HM course and took a left down a hill and then right for an up and down section along a country lane. As we passed the 4k marker, the route got more exposed and the skies opened, with the wind in our faces for good measure. Even so, I continued to make progress in terms of positions. I'd had a Belfast Running Club guy in my sights for quite a while, and eventually caught up and passed him, a Glenmore AC runner, and a lad in GAA shorts almost simultaneously, on our way up another short climb coming to the midpoint.

Kms 6-7

The rain was very heavy at this stage, but at least the hills were levelling off and we would shortly be out of the breeze. As we turned left onto the hard shoulder of the main Dundalk road, there were two girls ahead running strongly side by side. I can't say I enjoyed this section. With a 100 km/h speed limit, you've got to be really careful to stay off the main road! I was having enough trouble trying to catch the girls, although I did catch a few lads in the meantime; fellas who were obviously suffering having gone out too hard in the hills. After about a mile of this, we could see the staggered crossroads where the HM route comes from the right and crosses the main road before we all swing left for home.

Kms 8-10

"You can have it all but how much do you want it?"

Immediately after making the left turn I shot past the girls and passed the water station at the 7k marker. No talking, no stopping for water. Keep going! From about 7.5k, you can see the sea on your right, and as mentioned earlier it's quite scenic. Did I get a bit distracted here? Probably. I reeled in another lad passing the golf course, and then I just had to push for another 1.5 miles or so.

There was a lad about 100m or so up the road. Around the 8k mark, I knew I had his attention for the first time, as it was here that he started looking around. Juvenile/rookie mistake! He seemed to be tying up a bit as well, and I was definitely gaining on him as we went through 9k. In previous years, the finish was on the main road beside the hotel, but this time we turned right and back along the road we started on. I was still catching yer man, but then the HM winner came along and passed me. Now if I'd been properly tuned in, I'd have tried to use this to my advantage and get a tow up to the other fella. Instead he eased past, and the guy I was chasing ended up doing what I should have done. I put in a decent sprint coming into the finish, but the man I should have caught was home.

44:55 (gun time) for a 27th place finish, and what I thought was a decent enough showing considering I hadn't raced 10k or longer since DCM. I should be able to improve on that at the K-Club. A whole three weeks without a race, how will I cope?! Probably much better, I hear you say?

Sun 5/3 - Club run, Phoenix Park - Well That Was Easy

Title of a song by Franz Ferdinand, that came into my head as I got in the door after this morning's run. Having had a few pints and a bottle of wine during and after the Dubs demolition job on Mayo, I wasn't sure how long I'd stick the pace. At 8 o'clock we set off down Chesterfield around 4:35 pace, with me just off the front of the group. I was having to work a bit, but felt in control of what I was doing and not under threat of falling off.

Going up the Khyber, I was still keeping in touch relatively comfortably, and it totally confirmed my suspicions. AMK called it right; if I raced to my limits yesterday, there's no way I should have been able to hang on to that pace. In fact (having decided not to run with the 8:45ers) for the first time ever I pushed ahead of the group as we approached the post at Castleknock Gate, and I got a bit of a cheer. To be honest, it was grand! So much so, I was half tempted to change my mind and do another 5/6 miles with the gang. Just shows you. I didn't push myself far enough into the red yesterday, and it'll be a while yet before I can add more mileage and structure to my training. In the meantime, we'll struggle on! Thanks for reading.
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Nice going in the 10k, enjoyed the report. Sounds like very tough conditions on the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice job with the 10k, no doubt you'll improve on that with a far more favourable course in the K-Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done good result on low mileage, K Club much more favourable, flat out and back, good read.

• Advertisement

tailgunner wrote: »
    Nice going in the 10k, enjoyed the report. Sounds like very tough conditions on the day!

Glad you enjoyed it! Tough enough but manageable. I've run through far worse TBH. For comparison purposes, I ran 45:49 in the Windmill Run in Garristown (north Co. Dublin) around this time last year. That had some hard hills too, and the fact that it was on the day after my birthday wasn't ideal :rolleyes:
    tang1 wrote: »
    Nice job with the 10k, no doubt you'll improve on that with a far more favourable course in the K-Club.

100% ! Thanks, I have to really. 4:29 race pace for 10k, and then staying with 5 miles @ 4:35-4:45 pace the morning after, doesn't stack up.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done good result on low mileage, K Club much more favourable, flat out and back, good read.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to a belated return to the K-Club. It's a great course, without any major climbs to worry about, from what I remember from 4 years ago. Yesterday was my first 10k since cracking a 3 year old PB in Fingal last July. Interestingly enough, as it stands my next three races will all be over this distance (K-Club, GIR & ARC) I'll be longing to race *any* other distance by the end of the ARC :)

Tá Gaeilge Ag An Reathaí Seo / This Runner Speaks Irish

As part of Seachtain na Gaeilge, for this week I'm planning to concoct my notes in Irish. I'm stealing this idea from another poster (ThePiedPiper) who did something similar previously, although he doesn't seem to be active here any more. I'll try and keep it fairly simple, as I'm nowhere near fluent anyway.

If you're not sure of the meaning of anything, don't be afraid to ask.
    Anseo le cuidiú! / Here to help! :D

For more information (tuilleadh eolais) about Seachtain na Gaeilge, visit www.snag.ie

Tá súil agam go mbainfidh sibh taitneamh as! / I hope that ye will enjoy it! :)
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I will need to use Google Translate this week then!!

As part of Seachtain na Gaeilge, for this week I'm planning to concoct my notes in Irish. I'm stealing this idea from another poster (ThePiedPiper) who did something similar previously, although he doesn't seem to be active here any more. I'll try and keep it fairly simple, as I'm nowhere near fluent anyway.

For more information (tuilleadh eolais) about Seachtain na Gaeilge, visit www.snag.ie

J.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Unfortunately, secondary school left me more skilled in French than it did my country's native tongue. However, yer wan on the nuacht bulletin just said 'Slán agus beannacht', so I thought of this thread!

I will need to use Google Translate this week then!!

Ná bí buartha a Chraig, ní bheidh sé ró-dheacair :)
    Unfortunately, secondary school left me more skilled in French than it did my country's native tongue. However, yer wan on the nuacht bulletin just said 'Slán agus beannacht', so I thought of this thread!

"Apres moi la déluge", mar a deirtear sa chearn Laidine....(Latin Quarter)

Dé Luain 6ú Márta agus Dé Máirt 7ú Márta - Sos

Bhí mé ag obair le linn an lae, agus ag freastail ar (attending) léachtanna choláiste sa tráthnóna. Mar sin, ní raibh aon seans agam bheith ag rith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

J.

Níl a lán Gaeilge agam, ach ceapaim go scríobhfaidh mé i nGaeilge an tseachtain seo. Tá Google Translate úsáideach.

Agus bheidh mé in ann a úsáid do chuid abairt faoi obair :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ná bí buartha a Chraig, ní bheidh sé ró-dheacair :)

"Apres moi la déluge", mar a deirtear sa chearn Laidine....(Latin Quarter)

Dé Luain 6ú Márta agus Dé Máirt 7ú Márta - Sos

Bhí mé ag obair le linn an lae, agus ag freastail ar (attending) léachtanna choláiste sa tráthnóna. Mar sin, ní raibh aon seans agam bheith ag rith.

Cad e an focal Gaeilge le "lazy bastard" :)

An bL

Níl a lán Gaeilge agam, ach ceapaim go scríobhfaidh mé i nGaeilge an tseachtain seo. Tá Google Translate úsáideach.
    Agus bheidh mé in ann a úsáid do chuid abairt faoi obair

Fáilte HR! Beidh mé thar a bheith gnóthach an seachtain seo chugainn, mar tá spriocdháta fíorthábhachtach (very important deadline) ag teacht go luath.
    Cad e an focal Gaeilge le "lazy bastard"
    An bL

Fáilte "An Líomóid Searbh" !

Is "suirí leisciúil" bealach níos deise é sin a rá, i mo thuairim :)
    J.

Dé Céadaoin 8/3 - 5 mhíle @8:41 n/m

Ní raibh mé in ann dul go dtí an seisiún chlub ag Stáid Morton, mar bhí cuairteoirí (visitors) againn níos déanaí. Chuir mé "Plean B" i bhfeidhm ina áit. Tráthnóna breá a bhí ann i mBÁC15; rith mé timpeall loop a chruth mé tríd Caisleán Cnucha, Baile Bhlainséir agus Cluain Saileach. Bhraith mé compordach i gcónaí; ní raibh na coinníollacha dúshlánach (challenging) in aon chor.Go raibh míle maith agaibh :)
    J.

Níl sé éasca mar sin le cuairteoirí chomh maith go bhfuair tú amach!.

* Translated courtesy of Google Translate!

Déardaoin 9/3 - An Iomarca Daoine/Too Many People

Ar dtús, bhí mé ag rith timpeall Tír na nÓg. Bhí ocht gcuairteanna (laps) i gceist agam, ach ní raibh a lán spás agam chun a bheith ag rith. Bhí a lán daoine ann le madraí agus le páistí chomh maith. Uair amháin, bhuail mé le (I met) madra a bhí ina aonar, agus bhí an úinéar ar an taobh eile den bpáirc, ag siúl agus ag caint lena cara :mad: Sa tríú cuairt, bhí Tír na nÓg plódaithe (packed) so thug mé cuairt ar Páirc Bhaile an Phoirtéaraigh (Porterstown Park).

Ní raibh sé chomh gnóthach anseo, ach ní raibh aon fuinneamh (energy) agam ach oiread. Bhí lá dian san oifig agam, ach shíl mé go mbeadh an seisiún seo níos easca? Tóg sos!!!!

4:35/4:24/4:18 (Tír na nÓg)
    8:38/8:22 (Porterstown)

Dé hAoine 10/3 - Sos

Dé Sathairn 11/3 - 5.1m nó mar sin, parkrun san áireamh (included)

Bhí sé ag cur báistí níos luaithe, ach ní raibh an aimsir go dona nuair a thosaigh muid ag rith i mBaile an Phoirtéaraigh. Bhí rithim compordach agam i rith an chéad agus an dara cuairt. Ach ar an tríú cuairt, bhí mé i gcoimhlint beag le beirt nó triúr eile. Dúshlán spéisiúil a bhí ann :) Bhraith sé uair nó dhó sa chuairt go mbeinn faoi fíorbhru, ach tá i bhfad níos mó taithí (experience) agam ná beagnach gach éinne eile, ag an gcaighdeán (standard) seo, ar an gcúrsa seo. Bhain mé úsáid as, agus d'fhan mé chun cinn sa deireadh, le ráib beag gan choinne ag na reathaithe eile :D

7ú áit i 21:39. Sásta go leor leis sin.
    J.

Dé Domhnach 12/3 - Seisiún chlub, Páirc Fionnuisce

Bhí cluiche iomána agam ar maidin (bhuamar! :) ) so bhí cúig mhíle á dhéanamh agam anseo. Cosúil le Déardaoin, bhraith mé tuirseach díreach ó tús an seisiún. Nuair a thosaigh cuid mhór de na reathaithe eile ag rith níos tapúla agus muid ag dul suas an Khyber, ní raibh freagra ar bith agam, agus bhí an t-ádh dearg liom go raibh grúpa beag eile ag an gcúl. Tá an easpa (lack of) fuinneamh seo ag cur isteach go mór orm :rolleyes:

Ar aon nós, seo é an píosa deireanach as Gaeilge. Tá súil agam gur thaitin siad libh :) Go raibh míle maith agaibh!

Beidh mo chuid nótaí scríofa i mBéarla arís ag dul chun cinn. Go dtí an chéad uair eile, slán go fóill.
    J.

Real life is very much dominating matters out here, certainly to the detriment of my running!

Mon 13/3 - Thu 16/3 - Nothing. Not sure I even did a stretch. I did however walk up all the steps to my floor (180 from the canteen!) a few times. I've even been doing this a lot less often than the usual three times a day.

St Patrick's Day - 4 miles @ 7:43 p/m

Got out early enough for this; a cold, wet and windy run, twice around the estates loop. I felt very heavy throughout, and having the wind and rain in my face going through Riverwood wasn't much fun. Oddly enough, there were quite a few others doing similar at this time. Glad I managed to get out all the same!

Sat 18/3 - 4.1 miles approx. inc. Porterstown parkrun

Similar conditions to yesterday, but a bit warmer I suppose. With our regular first placer absent, and most of the other faster regulars not around either, I had mad ideas about going well here. There was a stranger there in a Run The Line top, and a couple of other Porterstown first timers looked reasonably fit. A clubmate turned up about two minutes before the start, and he sailed clear from the off, unopposed to gain his first ever P1 finish :)

RTL went past me along the flat part at the bottom of the first lap, so then it was me, a youngster who kept cutting corners, and two lads close behind.
    I made a half hearted attempt to get ahead at the start of lap 2, but there was really nothing there this morning. Going up the second drag, those three pushed on and left me behind. Or maybe they just kept the same pace and I lost interest. Probably the latter, to be honest.

The final straw came when a lad wearing a green wig sauntered past as we approached the end of the second lap. He even had time to go back and recover it after the wind blew it off early on the last lap. Still finished over half a minute ahead of me, as I just made sure I finished, knowing nobody else was in close proximity.

7th place in 21:46 :rolleyes:

A couple of decisions have been made in relation to next week, although realistically they could have been made ages ago. I'm not going to ALSAA for a sub-6 mile attempt on Wednesday. I don't feel like I'm in any kind of shape to take it on, so I would be going just because I can. Better to wait till the summer, when I should have a proper stretch of training in the bag. Same with Dunboyne; I'm dreaming if I think I can do that one well, the day after running the K-Club race. A surefire way to get injured actually! Thanks for reading.
    J.

They're making it one way and apparently including a fancy new cycle lane.

And there was me thinking this was a joke by AGYR. How wrong was I ? Two new "fancy" cycle lanes in fact :rolleyes:

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,37180,en.html

• Advertisement

Mon 20/3 & Tue 21/3 - Rest

Wed 22/3 - 4 miles approx. in 30:21

Once upon a time (it seems) I had a notion to try a sub-6 paced mile in ALSAA tonight. Right decision was made for sure, having looked at the video. Bit more background to this; the Saturday before last year's paced mile attempt, I ran the Porterstown parkrun in 20:50, compared to 21:46 this time. Plus I was training for the Connemara HM then, so I had a lot more mileage in the legs.

Anyway, Plan B was to go to Morton Stadium for the club session. With my own race on Saturday, and a sizeable (AFAIK) group heading for Dunboyne on Sunday, I imagined it would be relatively straightforward. Hmmmm. Wretched weather out there, lashing all day long. I'm home from 4:30ish, belatedly catching up on some of my recordings from the weekend. My wife rings about 5:30ish to say the traffic is very heavy...I tell her not to rush, in other words I'm not feeling the running love at all, and can live with giving Santry a miss. 7 pm comes and goes, and I've barely left the couch.

*Eventually" I drag myself out for what I'll call Plan C, into the cold and wind and rain for two laps of my favourite winter staple loop. Passing the Carpenterstown shops and turning left through Riverwood, it's particularly tough and my fingers are freezing. With no other runners around, I'm questioning why I'm actually bothering to do this?

It takes about three miles to get some warmth into my body, and only then do I start to feel any kind of positive energy. Finally I start to pick up speed a bit, having gone through Riverwood for the second time. Times aren't really relevant for me tonight, I only checked at the very end. Get out, get it done, get in.

And yet.....and yet....I still think that maybe (just maybe) I can pull one out of the bag this weekend. For those who I haven't met IRL, and who may be heading for the K-Club, I'll be the fella racing in the white vest and dark shorts, with "WIDE LOAD" on the back ;) Hope to see some of ye there. Thanks for reading!
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

And yet.....and yet....I still think that maybe (just maybe) I can pull one out of the bag this weekend. For those who I haven't met IRL, and who may be heading for the K-Club, I'll be the fella racing in the white vest and dark shorts, with "WIDE LOAD" on the back ;) Hope to see some of ye there. Thanks for reading!
    J.

Best of luck tomorrow WW.
    I will be wearing my boards ac top for my warm up so if you see me be sure to say hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow WW, hope it goes well.

Good luck tomorrow J looking forward to the report!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck, have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Good luck tomorrow, hope you have a good race. But really the K-Club is all about the feast afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Best of luck J. Remember the ould saying when it comes to that feast...."first up best dressed". Make it fast and tuck in :D

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow WW.
    I will be wearing my boards ac top for my warm up so if you see me be sure to say hello.

Great stuff. That would be the black Boards AC top? Sandy cap and shades for me tomorrow more than likely, especially if it's like today! Your own training looks to be going well! I'll watch out for you.
    tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow WW, hope it goes well.

Thanks B, hope the post Barcelona recovery is coming along ok?
    Good luck tomorrow J looking forward to the report!

Nice one C. Not lining up yourself I take it?
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Best luck, have a good one.

Thanks a million, looking forward to it now!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow, hope you have a good race. But really the K-Club is all about the feast afterwards!

Agreed, speaking as a past participant :) with even more to follow later, as I'm heading to my 2yo nephew's birthday party in the afternoon. Which will mean even more cake and general post race "refuelling" :D
    denis b wrote: »
    Best of luck J. Remember the ould saying when it comes to that feast...."first up best dressed". Make it fast and tuck in :D

Thanks D, a fast and flat course will hopefully bring a strong showing on the road for the first time this year. The fact that more grub should be available as a result is a mere footnote :D

And just to fill in the gaps...

Thu 23/3 - Two pacy enough laps of Porterstown, for me anyway. 8:17 and 7:49, with the run from the house to the park and back bringing it to around 3 miles for the evening.

Fri 24/3 - Rest

Keeping the powder dry for tomorrow, while resisting the temptation to tuck into any beer or wine during the Oyerlind v Wales soccer shocker. Maybe I'll end up taking this race seriously after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great stuff. That would be the black Boards AC top? Sandy cap and shades for me tomorrow more than likely, especially if it's like today!

No, its officially described as Royal Blue:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

jake1970 wrote: »
    No, its officially described as Royal Blue:)

Mind me asking if the Boards Top is still available? if so, contact etc? I kinda feel part of a club here :)

Advertisement