Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impressing the opposite sex - insider tips.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Colser wrote: »
    And a nice side parting.

Gives off an air of as someone of high intelect,and groomed to boot.These are potentially deal breaking issues in the eyes of the fairer sex id imagine.Pubic hairstyles(and their enthusiasts)probably deserve a thread all for themselves on this forum now that I think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Apologies for the lack of an update; I was stewing over the whole thing. Went for a few long walks to put things into context.

I ended up whatsapping the lady and asking her what went wrong. Turns out she didn't like the main course, but was too polite to say it at the time. My choice of aftershave wasn't to her liking either. Bleu de Chanel isn't for everyone. We've agreed to meet again.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

We've agreed to meet again

You shouldn't plough the same furrow twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

You shouldn't plough the same furrow twice.

He hasn't plowed it once yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

This thread is a wind up. Who comments on what scent someone wears.

• Advertisement

This thread is a wind up. Who comments on what scent someone wears.

snobs, that's who. You're right it's a joke. you had a date, she left, so what.
    "I dont think we hit it off"... I quote billy Connolly "what makes you think you're supposed to hit it off"...

you're giving her way too much credit, now it seems you're delighted she's seeing you again, like that's a favour to you, or you need to up your game!! Fook dat. " well the main course was sub par and not quite up to my culinary standards!! that coupled with your horrendous taste in toilette, really is grounds for dismissal!!

Sorry love say nothing and just tell'em you just had no spark!! bleedin changing him already wha!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

BabyE wrote: »
    Honestly in ireland being short ia basivally a death sentence for a guy especially in a country where rugby build is fawned over.

I've noticed a phenomenon with the rugger buggers... I think rugby players remind some women of a time when men went to battle, those who came back were showered with praise and adulation!

You'll even notice some guys that play rugby, but always seem to be injured... (why would you keep playing something that your body seems to hate? lol) These guys often get even more female attention than the ones who make it out in one piece... :P

I've observed this and I think it might have something to do with women enjoying playing the nurse role... "Ah look, poor sod injured again"

A big dumb muscle bound lump of a guy, hobbling around on crutches seems to be irresistible to a certain demographic of women! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Radiohead? How far are you from the nearest river?
    Next time, slab of Dutch Gold, Dinner box and a curry dip, and throw on The Corrs greatest hits. Can't go wrong, works every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I've noticed a phenomenon with the rugger buggers... I think rugby players remind some women of a time when men went to battle, those who came back were showered with praise and adulation!

You'll even notice some guys that play rugby, but always seem to be injured... (why would you keep playing something that your body seems to hate? lol) These guys often get even more female attention than the ones who make it out in one piece... :P

I've observed this and I think it might have something to do with women enjoying playing the nurse role... "Ah look, poor sod injured again"

A big dumb muscle bound lump of a guy, hobbling around on crutches seems to be irresistible to a certain demographic of women! :D

What I've personally found is that short guys (tend to, not all of course) have a serious chip on their shoulder. I'm 5'3, so once he's taller than me, I'm not that bothered to be honest, but there's plenty of short guys who'll make their own height an issue and can be quite aggressive about it. For example, if he tries talk to you in a bar and you're not interested, it'll be a trigger that you're a shallow bitch. Em no, I'm with someone, that's all.

That said, I like tall guys mostly for hugs. I love getting a hug and being short enough that I can hear his heart beating in his chest when he holds me close to him. That way, I know where to stab him when he hurts me. (joking.)
    Feels good having strong arms around you too, so muscles are good. And also, the stronger he is, the more you can put in the basket when he's carrying it in tesco. Win win.

Never try to impress the opposite sex. Just be. They will either be impressed by who and what you are, or they won't.

Ideally maybe :) But alas nothing is ever ideal. A product should also speak for itself in it's own quality - but if the packaging is off putting no one will ever buy it to find out.

A friend of mine was recently getting quite down over ongoing lack of success with the opposite sex and I knew this person myself to be a real quality person. The kind you would mutually accept bullets for because you simply feel the world is a better place for having them in it.

So I took it upon myself to subject this person to speed dating to observe them in action. It really was not good. And following what I observed I put a "program" in place to work on and improve things before subjecting them to it again.

And the majority of what I worked on was changes in the packaging not the person. Changing how they represent themselves more than changing them.

And the results were quite noticeable and in fact there is now a danger of a long term relationship developing.

Ok sure it is an anecdote of one so I would not read too much into it. But I genuinely think the "Just be yourself" or "Just be" approach certainly has limits worth being aware of.
    BetsyEllen wrote: »
    You should shave them anyway. Pubes are minging.

I wouldn't be let :)

Anyway I itch like a mad man for no reason - just people merely starting to discuss fleas or itches and I go mad itchy all over. Feck it is starting now just typing that. So I can only imagine what I would be like if I went about creating a _genuine_ reason to feel itchy. I would become "that guy who is always scratching his crotch" in no time.

Now excuse me while I go about resisting the urge to do just that now I have typed and thought about it. Goddamit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Ideally maybe :) But alas nothing is ever ideal. A product should also speak for itself in it's own quality - but if the packaging is off putting no one will ever buy it to find out.

So I took it upon myself to subject this person to speed dating to observe them in action. It really was not good. And following what I observed I put a "program" in place to work on and improve things before subjecting them to it again.

And the majority of what I worked on was changes in the packaging not the person. Changing how they represent themselves more than changing them.

And the results were quite noticeable and in fact there is now a danger of a long term relationship developing.

I'm sorry but I find that a bit disturbing

I'm sorry but I find that a bit disturbing

Without knowing why exactly - or what you specifically mean - I can not help you much with that :)

But I have to say so did I at the time actually. I only did it because this was one of those "do anything for" friends and they came to me genuinely depressed and down and beseeching me for help and advice on their failures with the opposite sex. And for whatever reason they seemed to have it in their heads that I am someone somehow successful or informed or skilled in this area when in fact I am as clueless as the rest of our species usually is :)

And I felt more uncomfortable with saying no to them in their hour of genuine depression and need than I did with saying yes. But quite uncomfortable with both.

I was hyper aware at the time of my absolute and deep loathing for the whole industry of PUA and the like. And I obsessed over it at the time ensuring that I was not going down that road - and holding up everything I advised at the time to the kinds of things "those people" get up to and work with. There is even a lovely mod (you know who you are - thanks) who lent an ear through the process and listened to my concerns on the matter.

And I was checking myself constantly at every turn. Solely focusing on teaching this person how to simply represent themselves better - and avoiding _every_ turn where it even approached the PUA style manipulation of "the other" or "the mark".

In the end I was quite proud of myself and them. And far more pleased with the result than my initial reservations and discomfort could have predicted.

After some retrospection however I know I genuinely do not want to have to ever do it again. But I feel I learned enough to know that "just be" or "just be yourself" while great advice in so far as it goes - does have limitations if you can not represent yourself truly, honestly and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You met her on a dating site, let see it could have gone like this for her.

She was just beginning to lose the will to live after some of the date she had. then she meets the op who turns out to be interesting, they have lots in common he is not a nutter or a weirdo and is the age and height he said he was, so she meets the op in the hopes that something will develop some how she will learn to fancy him if she keeps trying. If she fancied the op she wouldn't have gone home after a nice dinner music and so on, she would have leaped on him:p .

Now she is in a bit of dilemma the only nice/normal/interesting man she has met on the site and she dose not fancy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

OP, come on, this is a wind up!!! the girl telling you she didn't like the main course and your after shave...HAHAHAHA, it's a very funny wind up, all the funny responses.
    I think the best bit is you watching NORCAS with her and your belly lookin like this Pablos' one.....I actually can't stop laughing..thanks!

Advertisement