Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have changed my views on abortion

• 06-10-2016 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

In recent days I have changed my view on abortion. Especially when I saw the protests in Poland.

I now believe women should have the right to choose.

Abortion should be available at anytime during pregnancy for any reason.

Who am I to stop a woman or stand in her way?

I want to apologize to anyone upset with previous thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

Can they not currently 'choose' to travel to the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Why should they have to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That was some turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

Only if they can afford it. But they shouldn't have to. The whole situation is difficult enough without putting barriers in their way.

Thread reeks of me me me.

The is a thread about abortion. There are probably loads of them. Why not post this in one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

Have you ever had to travel following a medical procedure?? Its not very nice nor something someone should be forced to choose as there is no other option!! No one chooses to go to the uk for an abortion they go because that is the only option available to them

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Jen44 wrote:
    Have you ever had to travel following a murder?? Its not very nice nor something someone should be forced to choose as there is no other option!! one chooses to go to the uk for an abortion they go because that is the only option available to them

There, fixed it for you :)

Mod-Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The poster who's comment ymadeou changed a sensible contribution to a sensitive and emotive subject thread and that's the best you can come up with .

Try some thought .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Time to put feet up and sit back n read with amusement :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

its not worth even getting into it. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Sono

Bad form that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

During the night I was thinking about this. If a referendum was called tomorrow and the government set out the terms of what the 8th was to be replaced by, let's just say prior to 12 weeks, FFA, mother's health and well-being Would there be many people who would be able to be swayed or have a large majority of the people made up their mind and no shouting or screaming or any other arguments would change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im really confused as to whats happening in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Actually op has gone from the zygote is a human to abortion at at any stage of the pregnancy in a week

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057653091/1/#post101181129

No point protesting if it doesn't change minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Was the other thread not generating enough attention for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

kneemos wrote: »
    No point protesting if it doesn't change minds.
    This conversion on the road to Damascus is the equivalent of a Republican protest changing Ian Paisley into Gerry Adams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Well you have been reported for that.

I hope this thread, poster and op are shut down asap clearly a troll and just posting stuff like above and the op as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

hairyslug wrote: »
    During the night I was thinking about this. If a referendum was called tomorrow and the government set out the terms of what the 8th was to be replaced by, let's just say prior to 12 weeks, FFA, mother's health and well-being Would there be many people who would be able to be swayed or have a large majority of the people made up their mind and no shouting or screaming or any other arguments would change it.

Nowhere in the 8th amendment is the word abortion mentioned. The repeal campaign is to repeal the 8th amendment, which gives a foetus the same rights as a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

In recent days I have changed my view on abortion. Especially when I saw the protests in Poland.

So you've gone from a pro life position to believing you should be allowed to kill a child up till the point of birth? Based on pictures from a protest? Wow, that sounds... rational.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Nowhere in the 8th amendment is the word abortion mentioned. The repeal campaign is to repeal the 8th amendment, which gives a foetus the same rights as a woman.

That is as a disingenuous a statement as it gets. The aim of 'repeal the 8th is abortion on demand, and the sickeningly semantic arguments of those pretending otherwise just makes them look shady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

conorhal wrote: »
    That is as a disingenuous a statement as it gets. The aim of 'repeal the 8th is abortion on demand, and the sickeningly semantic arguments of those pretending otherwise just makes them look shady.

Like any group of people there will be a huge range of opinions. The people that want the 8th amendment repealed can't possibly have the exact same opinions and reasons. Generalisations like yours are totally incorrect.

Like any group of people there will be a huge range of opinions. The people that want the 8th amendment repealed can't possibly have the exact same opinions and reasons. Generalisations like yours are totally incorrect.

The law of lowest common denominator and the base selfish nature of the society we have built would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

What's wrong the 8th thread calm now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

Well you have been reported for that.

I hope this thread, poster and op are shut down asap clearly a troll and just posting stuff like above and the op as well.

Reported for in thread moderation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

conorhal wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

The aim of repeal the 8th is to allow women have more of a right to life than an unborn.

Fundamentally, I disagree with abortion on demand (as you kindly put it). However what right do I have to let my views dictate how others should live their lives? Having personally known several people who have travelled to the UK for various reasons, including FFA, risk to the mothers life and one incident of incest rape, it is an absolute disgrace that these women are treated like second class citizens and forced to travel to save their own life or sanity.

Do you really think that a rape victim should be made bring the child of their rapist into the world? Should they be made go through all of that torture of 9 months of pregnancy, however many hours of labour and all of the associated risks of childbirth, just to give birth to a child that they never asked for, a child that was forced upon them by a rapist? Seriously?

Should women be force to travel for a medical procedure?

I had an operation a few years ago on my lady parts. I had some unexpected side effects of the operation and I panicked. I had to travel from the hospital to my home and I was scared. Can you imagine how scary it must be for a woman to experience side effects after a medical procedure, and then be told she has to get on an airplane or a boat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

When is the referendum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Rainman16 wrote: »
    When is the referendum?

I have a bunker built ready for the announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

conorhal wrote:
    So you've gone from a pro life position to believing you should be allowed to kill a child up till the point of birth? Based on pictures from a protest? Wow, that sounds... rational.

He realised that whilst he was against a repeal of the 8th, people would still agree with him. This way, very few agree with him and he gets a much bigger reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mod-Banned

Very classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm going to change my stance from pro abortion, to anti abortions just to make this whole thread pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I'll probably get berated for this but I still think abortion is murder.

Look, it's your life and I won't stop you from getting one but to me, you are a murderer if you kill your unborn child.

I won't get in the way of people trying to change the law, but I certainly won't help them do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

kjl wrote: »

Look, it's your life and I won't stop you from getting one but to me, you are a murderer if you kill your unborn child.
    Yeah, and men who masterbate are genocidal maniacs. All those millions of babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Cost. You can't leave without a chaperone on the same day as procedure so you must fund a second persons travel/accommodation or pay for an extra night for yourself. You have a small window of time in which to get the funds together and may have to wait for a passport to be processed.
    Dignity.
    Safety.
    Availability of Post operative support and after care from another country.

So it's not a choice for many and not a good choice for those who can afford and manage to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't know about abortion being available at any time during pregnancy, personally think 12 weeks should be the max unless you're very young, at risk or need an abortion due to a medical issue.

As a woman, I think the right to access an abortion comes with certain responsibilities regarding contraception. Not that men don't need to be responsible as well but at the end of the day the decision to access a termination or not comes down to me and no-one else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Quick question on this topic.

If they repeal the 8th amendment, does that mean that in any case, regardless of how the pregnancy came about etc. etc. that a woman can just go in and get an abortion?

I honestly don't know the ins and outs so just wondering!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If I wanted to read multiple abortion articles I'd open the Journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

How, convenient.

I wonder are you going to advertise repeal the 8th websites next.

And btw Im pro abortion but if people have something against it, they should be heard and not showboated as religious fascist zealots like a lot of you lefties here are fond of doing when somebody argues against you,
    usually along the lines of deny, distort, deflect and defame.

Thats how democracy works.

Its too bad some of you dont go to saudi arabia and shout there for womens rights

No, its easier to bully the against vote in good old catholic controled ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Kev_2012 wrote:
    If they repeal the 8th amendment, does that mean that in any case, regardless of how the pregnancy came about etc. etc. that a woman can just go in and get an abortion?

Nope, if they repeal, abortion would still be illegal and would have to have further legislation to make it legal. Given that there's not even a referendum on the cards at the moment, the contents of further legislation is unknown. At the moment, with the 8th in place, no legislation (whether for everyone, or just in the case of FFA or rape) can be put in place.

For what it's worth, legislation would most likely have a time limit for the majority of women, with late term abortions only allowed in medical cases. At least, that is what it seems the majority are calling for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yeah, and men who masterbate are genocidal maniacs. All those millions of babies.
    Slight difference between pulling one's pud and removing a baby shaped potential human on the cusp of beyond womb survival at 24 weeks which is the UK limit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't know about abortion being available at any time during pregnancy, personally think 12 weeks should be the max unless you're very young, at risk or need an abortion due to a medical issue.

As a woman, I think the right to access an abortion comes with certain responsibilities regarding contraception. Not that men don't need to be responsible as well but at the end of the day the decision to access a termination or not comes down to me and no-one else.

Is it right to force a man into parenthood if he doesn't want it? It can have a huge impact on his life too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Abortions for all !

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Is it right to force a man into parenthood if he doesn't want it? It can have a huge impact on his life too.

Is it right to force a woman into an abortion she doesn't want?

Your Face wrote: »
    Abortions for all !

I want a miniature Irish flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kjl wrote: »

I won't get in the way of people trying to change the law, but I certainly won't help them do it.
    That seems a bit bizarre.

If there was a very large group of people campaigning to have murder or rape legalised and who seemed to have a good chance of succeeding, you can bet your arse I'd be out there trying to get in their way and oppose them.

Could it be, that you don't actually think abortion is as serious as murder? You think it's not nice, but not bad enough for you to actually oppose it?

This is why the "abortion is murder" line is hyperbole. Because you don't actually believe it is. You don't like it, but you don't believe it's anything at all close to murder.

If you did, you'd be out on the streets.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm going to change my stance from pro abortion, to anti abortions just to make this whole thread pointless.

No, to truly negate, you have to go from abortion any time for any old reason to never...and open a thread about this complete and utter about turn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Would that not constitute a crime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

kupus wrote: »

Its too bad some of you dont go to saudi arabia and shout there for womens rights

No, its easier to bully the against vote in good old catholic controled ireland.

Wouldn't even know how to spell abortion in Arabic, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

That'll never get voted in in Ireland, if you abort a 8 month old baby you're a psychopath surely

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement