Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi woman trapped in Bangkok airport

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

I have a few arab women in my class, hot and high IQ do not define them. Dumpy, bitter, bald and entitled would be more accurate.

Hence Arab men go crazy when they get to Europe and see blonde women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Going by twitter Rahaf had a lucky escape I wish her all the best

These aren’t even the worst of what is online:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Lackey wrote: »

All these accounts still active I see.

Twitter would ban people for less for even slight criticism of Islam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭obby1

Wonderful stuff, a perfect example of the Doctors and engineers the government want to import in large numbers to Ireland,

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

smurfjed wrote: »
    The younger generation aren't wearing these as much as their older sisters / mothers.

https://gulfnews.com/world/gulf/saudi/saudi-crown-prince-says-abaya-not-necessary-1.2190993

Changing times...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kP0wXOtpP8

Guaranteed the photo in that first link was a women only area or event.
    The crown prince may have said all that but it was for the US media and bs because nothing was changed officially inside Saudi.

He allowed women to drive and at the same time imprisoned the female activists who had campaigned for it. Some are still in jail.

• Advertisement

These Saudis think that she will become a stripper or a prostitute. There is no middle ground for them between absolute control of a woman and this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Guaranteed the photo in that first link was a women only area or event.
    Guaranteed that it wasn't.

Guaranteed that it wasn't.

Dina Arif, the creator of the Doodle for a Cause initiative on breast cancer, who is one of the organisers of the event, was delighted that the entire stadium was run by women for the six-hour duration of the event. “From technicians and DJs to security and referees – they were all women,” she said.

https://cic.org.sa/2017/11/thousands-attend-saudi-arabias-first-womens-basketball-tournament-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Where are the media in all of this? And where is Colm O'Gorman, aren't these the actual fights that Amnesty are meant to be getting involved in? They will never say a word against Islam, and given the views of Islam on homosexuality, this always surprises me. That always confused me, can someone explain that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Where are the media in all of this? And where is Colm O'Gorman, aren't these the actual fights that Amnesty are meant to be getting involved in? They will never say a word against Islam, and given the views of Islam on homosexuality, this always surprises me. That always confused me, can someone explain that to me.

Did you bother to look?

https://www.amnesty.ie/russia-chechen-authorities-resume-homophobic-crackdown-two-people-killed/

https://www.amnesty.ie/thailand-amnesty-welcomes-saudi-womans-refugee-protection/

https://www.amnesty.ie/saudi-arabia-censorship-of-netflix-is-latest-proof-of-crackdown-on-freedom-of-expression/

https://www.amnesty.ie/egypt-prison-term-for-human-rights-defender-who-spoke-out-about-sexual-harassment-an-outrageous-injustice/

https://www.amnesty.ie/pakistan-christian-woman-aasia-bibi-accused-of-blasphemy-at-risk/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Odhinn wrote: »
    Did you bother to look?
    The fact he is asking where the media were in all of this -'all of this' being one of the biggest global media stories of the last few weeks- should say all it needs to.

Same as the claims that 'the right came to the rescue here! No lefties to be seen!' devolving into how much they hate Muslims, or just Arabs outright even if they are not Muslim, within hours of it being pointed out that the Liberal Canadian government under the same Trudeau they really seem to hate with quite the passion, who actually did just that.

"Whore" - when people use such words as a term of abuse in this situation, you know just how oppressive their regime is and how backward their thinking is. Good luck to her, she (literally) dodged a bullet getting away from those numskulls.

Ryan Tubridy did an excellent interview today with a lady who is seeking residency in Ireland who is originally from Saudi Arabia - eye opening in terms of what she had to put up with, and this is someone who spent some time in America with her parents when growing up.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/ryan-tubridy/#103018060

Dina Arif, the creator of the Doodle for a Cause initiative on breast cancer, who is one of the organisers of the event, was delighted that the entire stadium was run by women for the six-hour duration of the event. “From technicians and DJs to security and referees – they were all women,” she said.

https://cic.org.sa/2017/11/thousands-attend-saudi-arabias-first-womens-basketball-tournament-2/

I'm sorry but I don't get your point, we were talking about the Black Eyed Pea's concert and the other concerts associated with the Formula E and you referenced a basketball game for women, whats the connection?

Ryan Tubridy did an excellent interview today with a lady who is seeking residency in Ireland who is originally from Saudi Arabia - eye opening in terms of what she had to put up with, and this is someone who spent some time in America with her parents when growing up.
    Will listen to that on the way to work, I'm wondering if she compares the Saudi Arabia of her childhood versus today.

and given the views of Islam on homosexuality, this always surprises me. That always confused me, can someone explain that to me.
    Listening to a Dublins Talk podcast a few days ago, a caller said that homosexuality was illegal in Ireland only 25 years ago, and yet we are a first world democratic country.

I'm sorry but I don't get your point, we were talking about the Black Eyed Pea's concert and the other concerts associated with the Formula E and you referenced a basketball game for women, whats the connection?

I referenced the first link you posted about abayas. The photograph is on that link. The photograph is from the basketball game.
    The concert was recent. It was also the first time visitor visas were issued for outsiders to attend, it looks mostly men but promising but then you see the other side.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-19/party-time-in-saudi-arabia-ends-a-year-of-fear
    Several Saudis interviewed said they were disturbed by what they viewed as moral and religious violations at the concerts. Others, like 19-year-old Fahad, were conflicted. While he had fun attending one, he described leaving with a moral hangover because of the men and women dancing together.

“I enjoyed it, but I think it’s wrong,” he said. “If I had the option, I wouldn’t allow it.” 

Saudi police shut down Jeddah cafe after hosting mixed-gender 'party'"What party are people talking about, they just played music."
    https://stepfeed.com/saudi-police-shut-down-jeddah-cafe-after-hosting-mixed-gender-party-1461

@skepticalme..... you will never understand how much Saudi has changed, now young Fahad has the choice to attend the next concert or not, the other article says that the Jeddah police shut down the coffee shop, in bygone days every single person would be taken away by the Religious police and end up in deep doodoo.

It's their country and it's changing at their pace, as the young lady stated in the radio discussion, the young people are very aware of social media and what their country to change, unfortunately they have to deal with people like young Fahad who don't.

Give them time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Arigo20

Yes it’s so different to Ireland, where we have an 80% male government, and where we were made to bring a gender quota in, because men kept nominating men and keeping women down.

It’s funny how that kind of thing is okay here, where men enjoy the power .

We also have a long history of brutality to women here, and had numerous protest marches last year and this year about rape and bad treatment of women.

Why do we look down on this when it happens in Saudi Arabia, but we don’t look down on it when it happens here?

Because we enjoy the power? The men in Saudi Arabia enjoy the power too, if you can see that they are wrong, you can see that the men in Ireland are wrong.

A naked attempt to turn another thread into a cesspit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Arigo20 wrote: »
    Yes it’s so different to Ireland, where we have an 80% male government, and where we were made to bring a gender quota in, because men kept nominating men and keeping women down.

It’s funny how that kind of thing is okay here, where men enjoy the power .

Speaking of gender quotas..i don't see many female construction workers,refuse collectors,tradespeople or engineers.

Is that because of men taking all the jobs too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Speaking of gender quotas..i don't see many female construction workers,refuse collectors,tradespeople or engineers.

I know two women who were unable to make a career in trades because they weren`t taken seriously enough to even be given a trial day, due to being women - one about 5ft flat and 110lbs but built like a gymnast, is possibly the fittest person I`ve ever known and squats 260lbs... the other was 6`2 and 205lbs (which I think she rounds down a good bit since women don`t like being seen as big) and in very, very good shape.

Mind you I`m a guy in admin, where it definitely cuts the other way. Sometimes it`s women just wanting to keep their department "for the girls", but it at least as common that the reason is male managers typically want women in those roles and not men (female managers don't seem to care as much, outside of the "for the girls" brigade).

In both fields though, the interest appears to be a lot lower for one sex as opposed to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sure women are greedy keeping all those beauticians jobs sure

Her family have disowned her, to be expected i suppose. Translation from reddit

We the Qanun family in KSA announce all our affilications with the so called Rahaf Qanun the child who disobeyed and tarnished in her actions the values of islam, and dishonoured (there is a typo here lol) and we ask the the people of this nation to not blame her actions on her family. And all the honoured members of this family have gathered that this disownership is just.

And the family offers thanks and loyalty to the wise and honourable rule of the servant of the two holy mosques King Salman may allah protect him and crown prince MBS for their work in rising up the honour of the kingdom and protect it from all those who peek into its security and stability.

Al Qanun family

12-1-2019

She has made her own statement, hopefully she will stay off the radar now.

https://twitter.com/Murphy_Jessica_/status/1085198447882362881?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Good of Canada to take her in. Nice dig at the Saudis too. Relations haven't been good between them.

@skepticalme..... you will never understand how much Saudi has changed, now young Fahad has the choice to attend the next concert or not, the other article says that the Jeddah police shut down the coffee shop, in bygone days every single person would be taken away by the Religious police and end up in deep doodoo.

It's their country and it's changing at their pace, as the young lady stated in the radio discussion, the young people are very aware of social media and what their country to change, unfortunately they have to deal with people like young Fahad who don't.

Give them time.

There is some change, mostly led and pushed by women at huge cost to themselves. They are also standing up for themselves against the religious police. I remember them with sticks to keep people pious.

If the guardianship law stays in place, there will be more fleeing women.

That lady in the interview also said if she were to go back now ( though she cannot) she would have to veil and could be kept there forever in one room if that's what her guardian decided. No changes for her.

Will listen to that on the way to work, I'm wondering if she compares the Saudi Arabia of her childhood versus today.

She can't go back to Saudi now for fear of repercussion. She was married off to some dude in Saudi @ 18 years of age, having spent a number of years in the USA while her parents studied for Masters degrees (her story, I'm not quite sure that was the real reason though, I'm skeptical about that aspect of the story).

She was certainly beaten by her parents as a child. She was forced to marry someone she didn't want to marry. Saudi men have control mechanism over Saudi women- known as the "Guardian"- and this is from cradle to grave.

You're appointed a guardian and can't do anything without their say-so and must do what they say (according to her).

She eventually got a divorce from her first husband. Now in a relationship with a Belgium chocolatier living in Ireland seeking permanent residency.

Pack of bollix this stupid so called "culture".

USA while her parents studied for Masters degrees (her story, I'm not quite sure that was the real reason though, I'm skeptical about that aspect of the story).
    This is quite normal, Government pays for the education and the parents get pregnant during that time, look at the history of Steve Jobs (although his parents were Syrian)
    She was forced to marry someone she didn't want to marry.
    In Islam she has the right to say no, but as this would offend the family, she probably just agreed. She was lucky as the guy divorced her, if it was the other way around it would be a nightmare as females divorcing men is a PITA.
    You're appointed a guardian and can't do anything without their say-so and must do what they say (according to her).
    The guardian would be her father, followed by her husband, and maybe her son in later life. In some cases if all of these have died, she would be given a guardian by the family. This is the next major barrier that Saudi women want removed.
    Pack of bollix this stupid so called "culture".
    True, but it's their culture. How far do we have to look back in our own stupid culture to see that homosexuality was illegal, unmarried pregnant females were thrown into homes by their "guardians" to avoid shame, sick married women were refused access to hospitals, and we threw babies bodies into cesspits.

Give them time as they can only move at a pace acceptable to their people and not at a western mandated pace.

They are changing at the rate of a camel journey per day.....
    RIYADH: A 23-year-old Saudi university student is spearheading a new wave of women taxi drivers in the Kingdom.

Shahad Hamad has become one of the first female cabbies to work for Uber in Saudi Arabia since the lifting of the country’s ban on women driving.

The English translation student has found new self-confidence since taking up her part-time role with Uber in Riyadh.

Talking to Arab News, Shahad said she was looking forward to more women getting behind the wheel and joining her in the taxi ranks.

So far the young driver has received nothing but rave reviews from her passengers and said she “felt ecstatic” about the positive feedback.

“I never would have imagined the amount of support I have received from people. It’s helped me on my journey,” Shahad said.

“I expected that my generation would be excited to see a young female Uber driver; what I didn’t expect was the older generation to be just as enthusiastic, if not more so. It was a big boost for me when older passengers complimented me on my braveness.”

On the subject of reactions from male passengers, Shahad said: “I’ve never had a problem with any passenger, regardless of their gender. However, male passengers always choose to ride in the back seat, although I did have an Asian passenger who sat in the front with me chatting about my experience.”

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

True, but it's their culture. How far do we have to look back in our own stupid culture to see that homosexuality was illegal, unmarried pregnant females were thrown into homes by their "guardians" to avoid shame, sick married women were refused access to hospitals, and we threw babies bodies into cesspits.

Invalid comparison..

That was not Irish culture but inflicted deliberately on Ireland by an alien force ie Rome. Huge difference. look up Paul Cardinal Cullen right after the Famine..

Totally alien to Ireland. You omit that women of marriageble age were conscripted into religious orders by the thousnads to avoid starvation to th extent that population here did not increase until recently after the famine and there were thousands of crusty old bachelors.

Rome did a great job. Until the Irish priests fell into sin.

What Ireland has now is hardly any better, frankly

• Advertisement

@Smurfjed In Islam she has the right to say no, but as this would offend the family, she probably just agreed. She was lucky as the guy divorced her, if it was the other way around it would be a nightmare as females divorcing men is a PITA.

Did you listen to her?. She got a shoe in the face when she said no. Then she agreed. She was lucky she had a nice mother in law when she asked for a divorce. Things could have gone very wrong for her.

Advertisement