Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad Selfie

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

pilly wrote: »
    How did this turn into a discussion about cycling???

Every thread sooner or later becomes about cyclists v drivers. It's a boards rule

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I also hate the culture to the point I want to vomit. Unfortunately my wife has taken to be one of them recently and I'm sure its to emulate her workmates in her new job.

We went on a holiday to Greece for just over a week to which she took over 2500 photos. She wanted me in selfies every minute of the day for trivial things, I declined every instance til I gave in. Actually I'm fairly sure in some of the selfies uploaded I'm frowning, I dont like to hide my feelings too much just so her photos can be adored on facebook.

She took photos of every meal. On Facebook the next minute. Won't let me just enjoy the meal, have to wait for it to be snapped. Gotta take photos of every nook and cranny of our hotel room too. I swear for all the photos she took she barely had a chance to look at the magnificent views before her eyes.

I took 10 photos and a video the entire holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ronjo

I also hate the culture to the point I want to vomit. Unfortunately my wife has taken to be one of them recently and I'm sure its to emulate her workmates in her new job.

We went on a holiday to Greece for just over a week to which she took over 2500 photos. She wanted me in selfies every minute of the day for trivial things, I declined every instance til I gave in. Actually I'm fairly sure in some of the selfies uploaded I'm frowning, I dont like to hide my feelings too much just so her photos can be adored on facebook.

She took photos of every meal. On Facebook the next minute. Won't let me just enjoy the meal, have to wait for it to be snapped. Gotta take photos of every nook and cranny of our hotel room too. I swear for all the photos she took she barely had a chance to look at the magnificent views before her eyes.

What was her reaction when you told her this was ridiculous?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ronjo wrote: »
    What was her reaction when you told her this was ridiculous?

Nothing but insisting it on me anyways until I give in. She also had her phone in the middle of the sea taking selfies too. Heart in mouth moments if she dropped that god forsaken phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Nothing but insisting it on me anyways until I give in. She also had her phone in the middle of the sea taking selfies too. Heart in mouth moments if she dropped that god forsaken phone.

Heart in your mouth? Sounds like if it fell in that would have made your holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Oh I honestly couldn't bear it, when I'm on holiday I don't even have the phone with me. It stays in the hotel room for emergencies only.

I really feel people aren't enjoying special moments anymore, they're too busy getting the perfect picture of them.

Heart in your mouth? Sounds like if it fell in that would have made your holiday!

Considering the price of the phone and the fact it was repaired after she dropped it in Glendalough some months ago...

Aaaaannnd she'd insist on using my phone instead then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Candie wrote: »
    The stats are meaningless if they're not like for like, and many more people travel by car and are pedestrians than are cyclists, so clearly the numbers of those commuters injured will be higher.
    ronjo wrote: »
    FFS there are a lot less people cycling then walking.

Thats like saying more Indian people died than Irish people while walking. The fact there is about 200 times more Indians may have something to do with it.
    They aren't per mile or per hour stats, they are absolute stats showing where the injuries are occuring.

So presuming that your objective is to reduce head injuries, the obvious place to start is where the 50% of injuries occur, not the 2%. Why go after the slim pickings when you can harvest a huge bumper crop. If you want to reduce head injures, driving helmets for all would be a hugely positive initiative.

You are not alone;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ronjo

Considering the price of the phone and the fact it was repaired after she dropped it in Glendalough some months ago...

Aaaaannnd she'd insist on using my phone instead then.

Have you ever stood up to her? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

cherryghost, I've done the maths.
    That's a photo every 3 minutes on average.

I'd have shot myself in the face after half an hour :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Candie wrote: »
    On a recent flight I was lucky enough to get upgraded. There was a guy of about 30 with a selfie stick parading up and down the plane, intruding on people's privacy, even some people who were sleeping. When the food was served, he stood up to take pictures of it from several angles, and a sweeping shot of the cabin with everyone else eating. Then he got the attendants to join him in a selfie (obligatory thumbs-up and all), and it went on like that every time something changed. When the lighting was adjusted, he was up doing a sweeping shot of the cabin, focusing on people sleeping as well.

No doubt this tosser has a YouTube channel where he'll upload this and post a 'review'.

So if you trawl YouTube reviews of recent flights from LHR to Cairo, I'm the fed-up looking girl in the background, flipping the finger whenever that damn thing was pointed at me.

I hate selfies, I hate most of what social media has become, and I hate the plonkers who think every single trivial thought, action, plate of food, make-up 'look', or mundane needs documenting and being made public, or else it didn't really happen.

Social media has made people behave as though they think they're in their very own reality tv show.

This one? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Was in a restaurant at the weekend and a young couple sat at table next to me.
    They sat down and not one word was passed between the two of them. Ordered their starter and silence again.

Starter arrived. Female had a salad and out comes the phone to take a photo ( of a salad :confused::confused:)
    Silence again. Main meal came out and same thing .
    Who in the name of all that is good cares what she had to eat:confused:
    Yes she might have got 50 likes or whatever but God love her poor partner sitting there watching this going on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Was in a restaurant at the weekend and a young couple sat at table next to me.
    They sat down and not one word was passed between the two of them. Ordered their starter and silence again.

Starter arrived. Female had a salad and out comes the phone to take a photo ( of a salad :confused::confused:)
    Silence again. Main meal came out and same thing .
    Who in the name of all that is good cares what she had to eat:confused:
    Yes she might have got 50 likes or whatever but God love her poor partner sitting there watching this going on.

It sure is food for thought.

**Puts on sunglasses and leaves thread.

Advertisement