Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad Selfie

Options

Comments

The OP just witnessed the 2010s encapsulated in an event. 5 seconds later a muscly lad with a self-indulgent floppy haircut and perfectly groomed 5-day stubble walked past but he made sure to blank the girl so he could look alpha.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Estrellita wrote: »
    Trust me, she is no loss to you whatsoever.

It was like the rubbish taking itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It was like the rubbish taking itself out.

Hehehe

meow!

luv it hun!!!!!! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mother of divine God, do people not do hobbies and interests anymore! Get off your Damn phones and live life!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

As a young selfie-taker, there is a certain pressure to join in and to try to look good. For some people their self esteem and self worth comes from the amount of likes they get. Their friends might get 300 or 400 likes on their profile picture (usually a selfie) and if they only get a mere 100 likes, it can have a negative effect on the way they view themselves. It's just another way for young people to compare themselves with each other.

I will admit that when I upload a pic/selfie on Facebook or Instagram (granted it's not that often) I am guilty of regularly checking the number of likes it gets. For me, it's not a case of "look how good I look I got 500 likes" but more like "phew this photo did okay, I'm not horrible".

Yes, young people shouldn't rely on social media for self-esteem but unfortunately that is the case for many. It doesn't always come from a place of narcissism.

In the past people smoked to look cool. Today we embellish our lives on social media to look cool. The need to fit in amongst young people is constant but how we fit in is always changing.

Excellent post!

Social media has made modern daily life competitive, and younger millennials (brought up in this culture) are heavily influenced by this. For a lot of young groups of friends your absence is conspicuous on social media; they're going along with the crowd, which is what a majority of people do (unsurprisingly).

People giving out yards about the narcissistic selfie culture are generally people in their 30s - they grew up in a different time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

greenspurs wrote: »
    Yeh, look at Hope Solo ........ Takes it to another level ! Selfies weren't enough, needed to up the ante .....
    blue waffle part 2 !!!! WTAF !?!?!?:eek: (viewer discretion, NSFW etc etc ...)

WUT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

tigger123 wrote: »
    Excellent post!

Social media has made modern daily life competitive, and younger millennials (brought up in this culture) are heavily influenced by this. For a lot of young groups of friends your absence is conspicuous on social media; they're going along with the crowd, which is what a majority of people do (unsurprisingly).

People giving out yards about the narcissistic selfie culture are generally people in their 30's - they grew up in a different time.

No they are not

I'm mid twenties...and I think its f****** idiotic. Speaks volumes about the mental age, capacity and value system of the current generation in my opinion.

The egocentrism championed by this generation is beyond ridiculous

pone2012 wrote: »
    No they are not

I'm mid twenties...and I think its f****** idiotic. Speaks volumes about the mental age, capacity and value system of the current generation in my opinion.

The egocentrism championed by this generation is beyond ridiculous

Same, I agree. We're not a different species to people a decade older. I never bought into the narcissicstic, celeb-emulating crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Same, I agree. We're not a different species to people a decade older. I never bought into the narcissicstic, celeb-emulating crap.

Honestly I cannot grasp it

I'm sure many here are aware of the concept of extended adolescence. That is, people prolonging the transition from adolescence to adulthood.

Anecdotally, I have a hunch that this generation carry traits from early childhood, displaying many traits that resemble children in early developmental stages, moreso than previous generations... I call this 'embedded childhood' as it doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon

These traits would include
    1. Egocentrism
    2. Difficulty Self Regulating Emotions
    3. Offence and often Protest at the first sign of anything divergent from their perception of the world
    4. Their beliefs must hold superiority over others
    5. Tantrums

I could continue the list....but I won't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Omackeral wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of a 'griefie'? I've bloody seen them. Person takes a pic of themselves grieving at a funeral and uploads it with hashtags like

#GoneTooSoon #RIP #SoSad

I was literally lost for words for what you typed in that post at a first glance. Wtf?

That is incredibly self centered & rude for a person to do such a thing to someone's family without their permission. Those people in my mind are in the same league as someone who takes photographs of someone funeral on a bloody newspaper or someone who takes a picture of a person who is nearly on their deathbed.

If they experience a sad occasion like a funeral at anytime in life. How can they contemplate doing that making life more worse for them than it already looks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Mother of divine God, do people not do hobbies and interests anymore! Get off your Damn phones and live life!

I hear hunting for these pokeamon things is quite the rage, these days .....

Oh ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭lillycakes2

Posting selfies of your self on facebook and other social media sites is such a cringey trend..................when will it end, so narcissistic !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Stigura wrote: »
    I hear hunting for these pokeamon things is quite the rage, these days .....

Oh ..........

Did you purposely spell Pokemon wrong here to look that bit cooler? Listen, I get it. I intentionally pronounced it Poe-key-man quite recently, just so the listener would think I was wholly unfamiliar with it, when in reality I loved it back in the day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Did you purposely spell Pokemon wrong here to look that bit cooler?

:confused: Err, no. Absolutely not.

Fact is; I've never heard the 'word' pronounced, so wouldn't know.

Probably an age thing? Ageing Billy No Mates without a TV. But, no; I've genuinely no idea what any of it's all about. And I couldn't look cool after a week in a deep freeze :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Cracking up at that "griefie" post from the first page, I can't sleep now ffs! #gonetoosoon

• Registered Users Posts: 48 piglet74

Cracking up at that "griefie" post from the first page, I can't sleep now ffs! #gonetoosoon

I never heard of it before! Hilarious.

I was beginning to think that I was the only person who doesn't have facebook, snap chat, instagram etc.

God I hate that shyte!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/04/mother-dies-from-bike-crash-moments-after-taking-this-smiling-se/

Didn't do this yummy mummy much good either, I mean I know she is dead and that's sad but to die for the sake of vanity is even sadder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

youtube! wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/04/mother-dies-from-bike-crash-moments-after-taking-this-smiling-se/

Didn't do this yummy mummy much good either, I mean I know she is dead and that's sad but to die for the sake of vanity is even sadder

You should never get up on a bike without a helmet.

Poor woman. She was cycling home from the pub...that may have been a factor..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I couldn't get over that one either. It is hilarious but at the same time very sad that people actually think that's appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

valoren wrote: »
    You should never get up on a bike without a helmet.

No more dangerous than walking. An awful lot more people get head injuries in cars than on bikes, so driving helmets for all then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

No more dangerous than walking. An awful lot more people get head injuries in cars than on bikes, so driving helmets for all then?

I guess you're far more likely to fall off a bike than be involved in a car accident. It's just a personal thing, like putting on a seatbelt, for me. It's not worth the risk as that tragic accident proves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cycling is quite obviously more dangerous than walking. You're going faster while sometimes being higher off the ground. You're on top of a jumble of tubular steel and have less time and opportunity to break your fall if something goes wrong.

Wearing a helmet is clearly going to help protect your head which is going to be vulnerable if you're thrown off the bike.

valoren wrote: »
    I guess you're far more likely to fall off a bike than be involved in a car accident. It's just a personal thing, like putting on a seatbelt, for me. It's not worth the risk as that tragic accident proves.
    You can guess all you like. Look at the data. 9 cyclists killed and 160+ others (motorists and pedestrians) killed. I'm not telling anyone that they shouldn't wear a helmet. I'm just pointing out that those who say 'everyone should wear a helmet' have no basis in evidence.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Cycling is quite obviously more dangerous than walking. You're going faster while sometimes being higher off the ground. You're on top of a jumble of tubular steel and have less time and opportunity to break your fall if something goes wrong.

Wearing a helmet is clearly going to help protect your head which is going to be vulnerable if you're thrown off the bike.

It would also help your head which is vulnerable if you trip while walking, or get run over by a car while walking on the pavement or if you're knocked down while walking on the pavement. It would also help your head if you crash while driving, which is where about 50% of head injuries occur vs 2% on bikes.

If you want to reduce head injuries, driving helmets for all.

If you're walking and trip, you might fall over. If you're cycling and hit a bump, you might be thrown off. Helmets make a lot of sense for cyclists. They'd make sense for drivers too. Pedestrians are going so slowly in comparison.

If you're walking and trip, you might fall over. If you're cycling and hit a bump, you might be thrown off. Helmets make a lot of sense for cyclists. They'd make sense for drivers too. Pedestrians are going so slowly in comparison.

And yet, far more pedestrians are killed on the road than cyclists. From 2015 RSA stats;
    Of the 166 fatalities, there were 76 Drivers killed, 27 Passengers, 32 Pedestrians, 22 Motorcyclists and 9 Pedal Cyclists.

So let's have helmets for drivers, passengers and pedestrians as a priority before we worry too much about cyclists.

Drinking is a big risk factor for head injuries too, so we need 'going on the piss' helmets as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭ronjo

And yet, far more pedestrians are killed on the road than cyclists. From 2015 RSA stats;

So let's have helmets for drivers, passengers and pedestrians as a priority before we worry too much about cyclists.

Drinking is a big risk factor for head injuries too, so we need 'going on the piss' helmets as well.

FFS there are a lot less people cycling then walking.

Thats like saying more Indian people died than Irish people while walking. The fact there is about 200 times more Indians may have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭dinorebel

If you're holding a cat it doesn't count as a selfie because the cat is the main subject.

Nothing wrong with a pussy selfie:cool:

The stats are meaningless if they're not like for like, and many more people travel by car and are pedestrians than are cyclists, so clearly the numbers of those commuters injured will be higher.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

How did this turn into a discussion about cycling???

Advertisement