Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad Selfie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

harr wrote: »
    That's what pisses me off on a night out the Constant uploading of photos to Facebook ...somebody spills a drink...snap uploaded to Facebook ...some poor ****er gets a bit drunk ...snap uploaded to Facebook ... And now you have the added one of Facebook live video ..was on a night out recently and someone in pub did a live video feed to Facebook when I got home my wife could tell me who was in pub ,where I was sitting and what I as drinking ..I wasn't hiding anything but I did want to relax and enjoy my night out without being Broadcast over Facebook...
    So glad I grew up and did my crazy stuff before social media ...any little thing teenagers do now is documented on smart phones for the world to see..

Just as long as you weren't bogging into Cheryl from Accounts in the background!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

harr wrote: »
    That's what pisses me off on a night out the Constant uploading of photos to Facebook ...somebody spills a drink...snap uploaded to Facebook ...some poor ****er gets a bit drunk ...snap uploaded to Facebook ... And now you have the added one of Facebook live video ..was on a night out recently and someone in pub did a live video feed to Facebook when I got home my wife could tell me who was in pub ,where I was sitting and what I as drinking ..I wasn't hiding anything but I did want to relax and enjoy my night out without being Broadcast over Facebook...
    So glad I grew up and did my crazy stuff before social media ...any little thing teenagers do now is documented on smart phones for the world to see..

I'd imagine there will be a demand for pubs where phones are banned. Or phone free rooms. They definitely ruin the fun.

On a recent flight I was lucky enough to get upgraded. There was a guy of about 30 with a selfie stick parading up and down the plane, intruding on people's privacy, even some people who were sleeping. When the food was served, he stood up to take pictures of it from several angles, and a sweeping shot of the cabin with everyone else eating. Then he got the attendants to join him in a selfie (obligatory thumbs-up and all), and it went on like that every time something changed. When the lighting was adjusted, he was up doing a sweeping shot of the cabin, focusing on people sleeping as well.

No doubt this tosser has a YouTube channel where he'll upload this and post a 'review'.

So if you trawl YouTube reviews of recent flights from LHR to Cairo, I'm the fed-up looking girl in the background, flipping the finger whenever that damn thing was pointed at me.

I hate selfies, I hate most of what social media has become, and I hate the plonkers who think every single trivial thought, action, plate of food, make-up 'look', or mundane needs documenting and being made public, or else it didn't really happen.

Social media has made people behave as though they think they're in their very own reality tv show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Candie wrote: »
    On a recent flight I was lucky enough to get upgraded. There was a guy of about 30 with a selfie stick parading up and down the plane, intruding on people's privacy, even some people who were sleeping. When the food was served, he stood up to take pictures of it from several angles, and a sweeping shot of the cabin with everyone else eating. Then he got the attendants to join him in a selfie (obligatory thumbs-up and all), and it went on like that every time something changed. When the lighting was adjusted, he was up doing a sweeping shot of the cabin, focusing on people sleeping as well.

No doubt this tosser has a YouTube channel where he'll upload this and post a 'review'.

So if you trawl YouTube reviews of recent flights from LHR to Cairo, I'm the fed-up looking girl in the background, flipping the finger whenever that damn thing was pointed at me.

I hate selfies, I hate most of what social media has become, and I hate the plonkers who think every single trivial thought, action, plate of food, make-up 'look', or mundane needs documenting and being made public, or else it didn't really happen.

Social media has made people behave as though they think they're in their very own reality tv show.

+ 1. Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

As a young selfie-taker, there is a certain pressure to join in and to try to look good. For some people their self esteem and self worth comes from the amount of likes they get. Their friends might get 300 or 400 likes on their profile picture (usually a selfie) and if they only get a mere 100 likes, it can have a negative effect on the way they view themselves. It's just another way for young people to compare themselves with each other.

I will admit that when I upload a pic/selfie on Facebook or Instagram (granted it's not that often) I am guilty of regularly checking the number of likes it gets. For me, it's not a case of "look how good I look I got 500 likes" but more like "phew this photo did okay, I'm not horrible".

Yes, young people shouldn't rely on social media for self-esteem but unfortunately that is the case for many. It doesn't always come from a place of narcissism.

In the past people smoked to look cool. Today we embellish our lives on social media to look cool. The need to fit in amongst young people is constant but how we fit in is always changing.
    Isn't that one of the traits of narcissm though, a craving for admiration?

• Advertisement

Isn't that one of the traits of narcissm though, a craving for admiration?

It can be insecurity driven by an impression that everyone elses life really is funner, better looking, and more exciting, if you take their FB pages at face value.

I think face value is a very pertinent term when talking about social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

"You look stunning hun luv d dress xx"

"Ah dis old ting? Sur ive had dis years state of me lol tanx hun xxxxxx"

Yes, clearly a person will choose to wear a dress that they actually think they look a state in. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Omackeral wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of a 'griefie'? I've bloody seen them. Person takes a pic of themselves grieving at a funeral and uploads it with hashtags like

#GoneTooSoon #RIP #SoSad

The subject matter of this post reminds me that we've reached a point, where Humanity is probably long overdue a mass extinction event.

If anyone done that at a funeral of one of my family, they would be shunned forever.
    Do it for a pet, but for a human, sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

eeguy wrote: »
    Brought the gf out for a walk a few weeks back.

She spent a few mins taking selfies, straight to instagram and snapchat, #exercise #gains, sh*te like that, then said she was cold and sat in the car for an hour.

I see the same thing on nights out, groups of women, all staring at their phones ignoring each other, then fake smiles and hugs for a selfie and back to the phones.

What the f*ck like?

You still an item?:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

As a young selfie-taker, there is a certain pressure to join in and to try to look good. For some people their self esteem and self worth comes from the amount of likes they get. Their friends might get 300 or 400 likes on their profile picture (usually a selfie) and if they only get a mere 100 likes, it can have a negative effect on the way they view themselves. It's just another way for young people to compare themselves with each other.

I will admit that when I upload a pic/selfie on Facebook or Instagram (granted it's not that often) I am guilty of regularly checking the number of likes it gets. For me, it's not a case of "look how good I look I got 500 likes" but more like "phew this photo did okay, I'm not horrible".

Yes, young people shouldn't rely on social media for self-esteem but unfortunately that is the case for many. It doesn't always come from a place of narcissism.

In the past people smoked to look cool. Today we embellish our lives on social media to look cool. The need to fit in amongst young people is constant but how we fit in is always changing.

This is honestly one of the most depressing posts I've ever read on Boards. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

It's not just the omnipresent camera phones that amazes me...and explains why I hide in the hills most of the time...it's the practised photo faces. Everyone nowadays seems to have mastered some form of photo face where they tend to look their best - be it cheeks in, lips out, chin tilt, eyebrow arch, smize, etc. I seem to have missed this trick somewhere in my education. If I happen to be out and about and a picture happens to be taken, there they all are duck-trouting and looking fabulous in the result, while I'm looking stunned, as opposed to stunning, dribbling over a new-found mountain of double chins or horrifically buck-toothed and cross-eyed.

Collie D wrote: »
    if a male did it he'd be told fairly sharpish to leave and never return.
    In fairness, guys are regularly taking selfies in my gym #flyefit #irishfitfam #fitness #BeYourBest

It's a good thing handguns are illegal in this country. Otherwise I'd be doing life, for sure.
    bmwguy wrote: »

Go away, I don't want to be in your picture that will end up on 5 different sites with a tagline something like #bff forever #drunk #nitesout #madbastards4eva.
    It's narcissistic in the extreme.
    They're always the graduates of 'the University of Life', too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Whatever about women, for some reason male selfies are just a no. Cringe.

anna080 wrote: »
    Whatever about women, for some reason male selfies are just a no. Cringe.

Most are done by men who are very looks-conscious too I find, those sort who take longer than their GFs to get ready for a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

NIMAN wrote: »
    Most are done by men who are very looks-conscious too I find, those sort who take longer than their GFs to get ready for a night out.

Ya and tight tank tops with tatts on show.
    As opposed to tight tank tops with tits on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The subject matter of this post reminds me that we've reached a point, where Humanity is probably long overdue a mass extinction event.

Every time someone takes a selfie, the overdue Yellowstone super volcano gets a little bit more pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

I cannot express in words how much I abhor how people treat the internet these days

The amount of knowledge available at the touch of a button presently is unparalleled

And yet, the vast majority of people spend their time posting pictures, irrelevant thoughts, and generally, complete b****x, all to grab the attention of others.

I thought we were supposed to get more intelligent as time goes on, not less...

Poor woman. She reminds me of a cousin of mine, 30+ with no husband or kids. I know she's suffering and I feel so sorry for her.

What's she suffering from? And why do you feel sorry for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I joined Facebook for about a week a year ago. Fcuking hated it and all it's false bullsh1te.
    That same week I was at party, 5 women between 38-42 who were all my facebook friends were sitting at the same table all glued to their phones. I took a pic of them and put it up on my Facebook stating how sad things have become socially blah blah. It was funny when one by one they spotted the pic coming up on their own Facebook and realising what they were doing. All phones down and back to chatting......for about 5 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I've been sent snapchats of a dying grandmother. I believe that that is even worse than a "griefie." Selfies and snapchat, etc can be fun when they want to be but they've created a very twisted, selfish and overly public culture for some people.

I can't find it now but I was reading an article recently about a southern hemisphere rugby player who died and in the article was a selfie some of his former teammates took with him on his deathbed! Like, seriously, he was lying there unconscious, plainly close to death and them all grinning away! :eek:

Weirdly, there was a lot of defence of their actions below the line, people saying that some cultures don't have the solmnity towards death that the West has. I'm highly dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Have you ever heard of a 'griefie'? I've bloody seen them. Person takes a pic of themselves grieving at a funeral and uploads it with hashtags like

#GoneTooSoon #RIP #SoSad

Wtf... 0_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

pone2012 wrote: »
    I cannot express in words how much I abhor how people treat the internet these days

The amount of knowledge available at the touch of a button presently is unparalleled

And yet, the vast majority of people spend their time posting pictures, irrelevant thoughts, and generally, complete b****x, all to grab the attention of others.

I thought we were supposed to get more intelligent as time goes on, not less...

They ruined my beautiful internet.

Back in the late 90s/early 00s it was all just info and dodgyness and i loved it. Now it's all clickbait "you won't believe what this maamy did" ****e, "one weird trick" and listicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I joined Facebook for about a week a year ago. Fcuking hated it and all it's false bullsh1te.

Yep! Exactly the same thing here. And my only 'friend' was my own sister. I just couldn't stand ~ let alone recognise ~ the bollocks she was coming out with to her little internet bubble of " friends ".

Fcuked it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

lawlolawl wrote: »
    They ruined my beautiful internet.

Back in the late 90s/early 00s it was all just info and dodgyness and i loved it. Now it's all clickbait "you won't believe what this maamy did" ****e, "one weird trick" and listicles.

I think we should have 2 separate Internets

One for people like 'them'

One for people like 'us'

An aptitude and screening test would suffice...

It would consist of the following

Ask someone to take a picture on their phone...if it is of themselves, food, alcohol or contains any hashtags, idiotic one word comments or verbal attempts to glorify anything about the picture ...they go in the former

I believe it could be a simple yet effective test :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you see people taking selfish on a night out, you can be 100% guaranteed that they are the most dull, inane, insipid, minus craic, tragically boring fückfaces known to man.

They're literally creating false memories.

In fairness, snapshots on nights out always were really. Plastering on smiles for snapshots even when the night out was going south.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

bubblypop wrote:
    What's she suffering from? And why do you feel sorry for her?

I had presumed that was a joke!

Candie wrote: »

On the bolded. I love cooking and often post photos of things I have cooked. Moveover, I am interested in other people's food photos. I think people would do well to remember that when people post something, it's not necessarily for the benefit of everyone on their friend list, just maybe the handful of people who would be interested in it. Make up looks are not something I'd post about but I can understand why others would. And trivial thoughts framed in an amusing way can be great to read. I love the creativity some people display on social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Regarding like-hunting etc., aren't we as forum users just as bad sometimes (a lot of the time)?

There are a lot of genuine thought provoking and light-hearted humorous threads out there but for every one of those there is a 'Where Are You Now' type thread. That's the type of self centered thread that serves a very similar role as those who post selfies.

The exact title is the default complaint that people who do not partake in social media have about this sub culture!

"I don't care where you are right now." :D

Advertisement