Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah, Christmas Mass....

Options
  • 24-12-2007 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

So who else will be making their annual visit to the church either this evening or tomorrow?

If so, what's your favourite thing to do to keep yourself entertained while the kids sing Christmas carols and the priest berates us for our drinking habits(or just gives a nice friendly sermon, the priest last year was a bit of a psycho)? I like gazing at the high roof and the bright lights, personally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I won't be. I don't go to Mass and don't see any reason it should be any different at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Usually go to midnight mass and to the choir beforehand for 40 minutes or so. Then back and open a few prezzies or just have a drink and go to bed. :D Duno this year tho cos the whole family not free to go to mass tonight. But that means I gotta sacrafice my ly in tomorrow morning !!! And I'm still in work now too !!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'll fall asleep in front of watch it on telly. I'll be going for a drive through an area near my house called 'Candlestick Lane', where houses are decorated very well (they are required and it is sponsored by the power company).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

No thanks, not my cup of tea. Would rather watch the movie repeats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Heading to 9pm Mass tonight with the rest of my family.
    Use the time for reflecting on the past year/ponder about the coming year and what it has in store, listen to the choir, look at the people around me..
    Then I head to the pub with a few friends for a socialable one or two (stomach's still in bits after last nights session!:().

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

No thanks, I'd rather watch telly instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I never go during the rest of the year. Why would I or anyone like me go tonight or tomorrow? I find it all to be a bit hypocritical to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Nah, I'm going to the pub tonight ad I'll be playing with my santy toys all day tomorrow..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Went last year, regretted it, wont be going this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

im going, the best way to keep occupied is to stare at the cieling and try count all the little boxes on the roof in my church, then make sure you think you were wrong and do it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

No never go christmas no excepetion only mass I been to was a funeral and that was required most people my age are made go by parents mine are atheists yeah:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

SaxoDuff wrote: »
    Nah, I'm going to the pub tonight ad I'll be playing with my santy toys all day tomorrow..:D

Oh can I come over and play. Me and Curran are going round to edlins to play with their new PS3 tomorrow about 6am :D

Havent gone for the last 2 years and not going tonight or tomorrow.

But when I did go I went to midnight mass at 10pm never understood that. But it went on for an hour and it was hell, felth like it was 5 hours long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Mass..??Not a hope!I have some couch sitting to do instead..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd rather disect my own testicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I saw some hot chick goinginto the church earlier.
    If that's the type of people who go, then count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Terry wrote: »
    I saw some hot chick goinginto the church earlier.
    If that's the type of people who go, then count me in.

its a trick!damn that Sister McGee and her ways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'm going to be generous and relinquish my seat to one of the people who go every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

never gone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Even at the age of 27 it still causes grief when I say I'm not going. My whole family know I don't tolerate religion so it baffles me when they ask me to go to Christmas mass.

Though for anyone forced to go - do what I did the last time I was there: try and value everything in the church from the building and land, the furniture etc. right down to the flowers. Then think about how that money could have changed the world in a positive way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Haven't been since I was about 15 or so. Used to actually like midnight mass but when they dropped it back to 9pm a la saturday night mass, it lost that bit of magic. I'm not intent on going again anytime soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I enjoy mass and I actually like the religious aspect of Christmas (as in, the reason we celebrate Christmas!) I respect every one's decision to go/not go to mass, but I find it hard to respect those (as in a good portion of the country) who do the whole present thing/celebrate Christmas yet don't believe in the reason we celebrate it. That's just my opinion though, and it seems like it'll be pretty controversial here! Doesn't bother me!

I'm not saying that I go to mass every week, but I do go, and I pray a few times a week. It's just my beliefs.

Having said that, I do get a kick out of seeing what toys the parents have allowed their kids bring to mass to shut them up. Last year I saw some dolls, books, and a hi-fi. Fun times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

janeybabe wrote: »
    I enjoy mass and I actually like the religious aspect of Christmas (as in, the reason we celebrate Christmas!) I respect every one's decision to go/not go to mass, but I find it hard to respect those (as in a good portion of the country) who do the whole present thing/celebrate Christmas yet don't believe in the reason we celebrate it. That's just my opinion though, and it seems like it'll be pretty controversial here! Doesn't bother me!

I'm not saying that I go to mass every week, but I do go, and I pray a few times a week. It's just my beliefs.

Having said that, I do get a kick out of seeing what toys the parents have allowed their kids bring to mass to shut them up. Last year I saw some dolls, books, and a hi-fi. Fun times.
    So you don't respect most of the country including a lot of your friends? Nice:)

Xmas is a farce and is all about giving presents... YUS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

janeybabe wrote: »
    I enjoy mass and I actually like the religious aspect of Christmas (as in, the reason we celebrate Christmas!) I respect every one's decision to go/not go to mass, but I find it hard to respect those (as in a good portion of the country) who do the whole present thing/celebrate Christmas yet don't believe in the reason we celebrate it.
    Christmas pre-dates your religion. It was just known as different things before ye hijacked it. We can use 'Holiday Season' like the yanks if you prefer? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

So you don't respect most of the country including a lot of your friends? Nice:)

Xmas is a farce and is all about giving presents... YUS!!!

Ooooh putting words in my mouth, lovely Christmas present! Nah man, I said I find it hard to respect them, not that I don't! People can do what they want, doesn't bother me.

And I wont say no to presents!! But I wouldn't be upset if I didn't get a lot.

I'm coming across as a right goody-two-shoes here. I'm turning into my mother!

Also 'Holiday Season Shmoliday Season'!

I drink (alcohol) about 3 times a year if you want some more ammo!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm going to outstare the priest, like I did last Easter and all the Christmases and Easters before. Just enough Catholic guilt left to get me in there twice a year and I still spend more time looking at my watch than reading the mass sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

Ya ill be going at 9 tonight.so boring am i just try to think about anything that keeps my mind off it.friends,girls,school,drink or somethin like dat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Not me.

Went once on Christmas day and never again, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Why break a tradition, I haven't gone in over 20 years and will not be going
    this year either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'll be laughing at the sh*t choir and scoffing at the ridiculous practices and ramblings. There ya go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement