Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah, Christmas Mass....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I never go during the rest of the year. Why would I or anyone like me go tonight or tomorrow? I find it all to be a bit hypocritical to attend.

Hypocritical, do you celebrate Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

aaah I suppose it could have been worse. I did have a good old laugh at the "if you are interested in trying out for the choir" bit at the end though...i'm sorry but old people cannot sing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Have mass over with myself now :D

Now i can focus on the things that make Christmas what it is..

Presents, drink, food and laziness.

No way would i give up Christmas day for mass, it would ruin the day for me.

Bandwagon catholic here myself. I go to weddings/funerals/confirmations etc.. Christmas mass is just another one of those things that has to be done.

I was just thinking there in mass, how about the church introduces performance related pay? That way there's an incentive for the priests to put in more energy and get the crowd onside...

I'd go for the entertainment/atmosphere is a knew one of those singing and dancing american guys were performing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Hypocritical, do you celebrate Christmas?

that question was put to me recently.

yeah, i do celebrate christmas, in that i buy presents for loved ones, and receive them. enjoy a nice hearty meal etc. etc.

but i don't go to mass.

i celebrate christmas, the national holiday. not the birth of jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Haven't been inside a church in years, now hopefully I can enjoy my day off tomorrow in peace complete with lie in and a lack of annoying relatives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'd rather disect my own testicles.

Thats a bit extreme, I'd sit through an hour of boredom sooner than cause intentional pain on my family jewels. More than just pain, basically crippled for life. Jaysus you dont value your little round men very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Must say I'm shocked at the number of people here who go visit the church
    on Christmas day just to keep their parents happy. I seriously can't understand
    why anyone over the age of 18 would do so, reckon there's a few Boardsies
    who'll have to add "Grow a pair" to their New Year's resolutions. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

i didnt find it to bad year[celbridge]priest did a nice version of "hes got the whole world in his hands" with da kids,got a phone call of santa and spoke of a boy who drew a picture of a man in a plane flying over the the crib where jesus is being born.who is the man?none other than Pontius the pilot(Pilate):D..Was infact also the only thing that made it feel like xmas for me..Havent had much to get excited about tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Must say I'm shocked at the number of people here who go visit the church
    on Christmas day just to keep their parents happy. I seriously can't understand
    why anyone over the age of 18 would do so, reckon there's a few Boardsies
    who'll have to add "Grow a pair" to their New Year's resolutions. ;)
    Sitting through an hour of muttering and singing is hardly something worth taking a stand over. I for one respect the fact that my parents enjoy benign traditions and wouldn't kick up a fuss that could cause them to be upset.

I mean, if you didn't feel like eating when Christmas dinner was being served and didn't really believe in eating with people at set times, would you vehemently oppose eating at at that time?

that question was put to me recently.

yeah, i do celebrate christmas, in that i buy presents for loved ones, and receive them. enjoy a nice hearty meal etc. etc.

but i don't go to mass.

i celebrate christmas, the national holiday. not the birth of jesus.

Ok, fair enough. A lot of people do what you do, but it is still hypocritical.

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Sitting through an hour of muttering and singing is hardly something worth taking a stand over. I for one respect the fact that my parents enjoy benign traditions and wouldn't kick up a fuss that could cause them to be upset.

I mean, if you didn't feel like eating when Christmas dinner was being served and didn't really believe in eating with people at set times, would you vehemently oppose eating at at that time?

Totally agree with this comment. I don't mind going to Mass at all on Christmas, and as it pleases my parents and my grandmother I don't see what the problem is.

The view on the boards here is predominantly from people that are either atheists or at least non Catholics. Some of the comments are pretty offensive to anyone that is a strong Catholic. I guess anything goes on some things and on other issues, even other religions it's like walking on eggshells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My mother asked me to bring my brother to mass. He doesnt want to go any more than I do, so we'll probably drive around town for half an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

No its not, our winter celebrations just happen to fall on the 25th December. Theres nothing religious about it at all in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

does watching it on tv count?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've got better things to do than go to mass. Like scratching my arse or picking my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Well I'm not Catholic, so no Mass for me.
    Was thinking of going to a service but up too late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i think i was 14 when i finally grew a pair and refused to go

jesus is a myth anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

why is it hypocritical? i'm not celebrating the birth of jesus. i'm celebrating a public holiday. lets face it, christmas isn't about christ anymore...
    Nightwish wrote: »
    My mother asked me to bring my brother to mass. He doesnt want to go any more than I do, so we'll probably drive around town for half an hour or so.

would you not go somewhere cool? granted nothing's open... except spar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm just shocked by how disrespectful people are towards the Catholic religion in this thread...regardless of whether you believe in it or not.

Are you that unhappy with your physical appearance/the size of your nose/your pathetic life in general that makes you so bitter towards something that is there if you choose to accept it? Don't be so rude as to say "i'd rather scratch my arse" or "cut my balls off" than go to mass because it just reflect badly on you as a human being.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

cheesedude wrote: »
    I'm just shocked by how disrespectful people are towards the Catholic religion in this thread...regardless of whether you believe in it or not.

Are you that unhappy with your physical appearance/the size of your nose/your pathetic life in general that makes you so bitter towards something that is there if you choose to accept it? Don't be so rude as to say "i'd rather scratch my arse" or "cut my balls off" than go to mass because it just reflect badly on you as a human being.
    My god you spout an awful lot of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

ha ha! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My god you spout an awful lot of bollox.

I'm convinced your secretly a manic depressant...don't take it out on a religion just because you hate your life.

I'm convinced your secretly a manic depressant...don't take it out on a religion just because you hate your life.

ha ha! Too funny....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

:rolleyes:

yeah that's all - :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

yeah that's all - :rolleyes:
    yep +1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wouldn't be a very good manic depressant if I stopped now would I? Don't wanna let the side down ya dig?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I actually enjoy the christmas mass believe it or not. Mainly because the Choir are AMAZING. Some serious work must go into it for that day. Its definatly not like most choirs where if you have a note in your head you can join!

cooperguy wrote: »
    I actually enjoy the christmas mass believe it or not. Mainly because the Choir are AMAZING. Some serious work must go into it for that day. Its definatly not like most choirs where if you have a note in your head you can join!

ha ha ha....are you gay by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    ha ha ha....are you gay by any chance?

Direct hit, critical damage!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement